• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOHICA: Don Mattrick Defends Xbox One's Online Requirements

Thorgal

BillyBats
Banned
(Today, 11:45 AM)

His first victim has fallen .

hammer4yxnf.jpg

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
i can tolerate no used titles , but the online requirement really is a no-go for me ...
im a huge game collector and the thought one day my collection will be useless sickens me.
of course this is not a current issue for most but for me its a constant pain

Copenap

Huh, now it has an always online requirement? Or is that on a game to game basis? Xbone - where every game is an MMO.

Calvarok

Banned
Microsoft. I'm fully prepared to give you a chance, and I know things are a bit confused right now, but you do realize that I'm simply not buying your console if you do this, right?

It doesn't matter how well this could work most of the time, if it doesn't work all of the time. And seriously, not everyone has internet at all.

I really, really, really hope that you're just covering your ass and defending the fact that this idea was on the table at all, but you need to understand, this is complete bullshit. A Steambox could get away with this, but not a console that's been offline-friendly since its first incarnation. That's the whole reason a lot of people get consoles.

I'm not going to spin wildly out of control on this, but seriously. Don't. Fucking. Implement. This.

PaulLFC

Consumers do. They will move onto to whatever suits them best. As it stands, MS seems to cover most of those bases very well, so people have no need to go elsewhere.
Sadly we don't. Microsoft decides when to shut off their own servers. If I want to play Crackdown 3 in 20 years time when either MS is out of the console industry, there are no more consoles or the Xbox 5/whatever is out, and the servers are shut down, what do I do?

Who says games will suddenly stop working if they move to new tech? If it makes them money, they will keep it going.
They may not, they may do. This isn't a possibility with the current consoles as they do not require an online connection to work. Therefore we know for certain they will keep working (at least single player components) for as long as the hardware lasts. We don't know this for certain with the next Xbox and that is in no way a good thing.

Who says games will suddenly stop working if they move to new tech? If it makes them money, they will keep it going.
And if a particular annual installment of a game doesn't make them the money they expect they could terminate support to push people towards the latest game.

Basically, the customer has no say in this and has no idea when or if support servers will go down.

I'd guess most of us here have differing ideas on what makes up a reasonable time frame for support.

conman

Microsoft had a decision to make, he said; either create a console planted in the present or look to the future and create a device built on the concept that one day the internet will be as available as electricity or telephone service.
Talk about an inadvertent slip. Clearly Mattrick hasn't spent much time outside of a city. Or, hell, even in cities, telephone service can be spotty.

Man lol, everything that MS will say will be wrong. They can't win from this position unless its flat out changed. Not sure what they're gonna do, they shouldn't have dug their own hole like this.

gtmax

As soon as you tell me i "have" to do something, i'm out the door. My ps3 has an Ethernet cable always plugged in, since i use it a lot to stream HD stuff. BUT, i can choose to unplug it anytime and can still play any game without being online.

I can't believe they can be that stupid as to have that ridiculous requirement. This and no used games: i'm not buying this system.

Copenap

the cloud is essentially there excuse for the online only requirement

Yes, but that's new. As of now we knew about the 24h check in, but MS hasn't been this concrede yet about the cloud thing and how they want developers to create games with the cloud in mind. That would mean always on requirement for games, not only 24h check ins.

Ediit: 24h online check =/= always online

Yes, but that's new. As of now we knew about the 24h check in, but MS hasn't been this concrede yet about the cloud thing and how they want developers to create games with the cloud in mind. That would mean always on requirement for games, not only 24h check ins.
Yep, this article was just the tip.

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
no, he clearly says in "the next decade", they will enhance the gameplay with cloud... so prepare!

i think its all glamorising on there part to be perfectly honest , but would be amazing to see if it can actually improve games.

but more to the issue it is a feature that further enforces online only

Oppo

Well, it's already been said more eloquently... But yes, the choice Mr. Mattrick paints as "progressive" is a false one; none of these things he talks about mandate or require a platform-level net connection policy such as that which appears to be the case with the Xbox one. Not from a consumer perspective.

MormaPope

Banned
One of the reasons Microsoft is spouting Cloud dreams is to make Xbox Live Gold seem like a fantastic deal or how it'll greatly benefit consumers.

"Get Gold now for infinite possibilities"

"Experience all the content games have to offer with the Cloud and Xbox Live Gold"

"Join the cloud and play games like you never have before"

"Infinite possibilities, infinite power"

Would not be shocked at all if Microsoft continually pitches it's Cloud stuff as something it isn't, for years on end.

I wonder if ol' Don believes his own bullshit? Of course, after this fiasco is over he can go back to selling cars or real estate. No need to tell the truth there either....

UberTag

And I'm still wondering about the fact whether XBL silver members will have access to our new gaming messiah.
Your Xbone will be a brick if you're not paying Microsoft a monthly fee.
Whereas now your X360 will work just fine and you can make the decision as a consumer on whether or not you want to pass on frivolous online modes or not.

spwolf

i think its all glamorising on there part to be perfectly honest , but would be amazing to see if it can actually improve games.

but more to the issue it is a feature that further enforces online only

what is silly to me is that they talk the talk that they wont be able to back up... so in few months, when they dont deliver on these promises, what will happen? Backslash will be bigger than with SimCity.

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
what is silly to me is that they talk the talk that they wont be able to back up... so in few months, when they dont deliver on these promises, what will happen? Backslash will be bigger than with SimCity.

sometimes it takes a good backlash to get a point across sadly :(

Wolffen

the cloud is essentially there excuse for the online only requirement
Yup. As SimCity recently demonstrated. And Diablo III before that.

The cloud can offer some benefits, but the way MS and publishers are using it now is for control, plain and simple. MS should print a EULA on every game box, as they are now selling you a service, not a game. You have access to your games as long as they (or the publisher) decide to give you access. What you are buying at the store is a license/service agreement, and an install disk, not a product that you own. That's their idea of the infinite power of the cloud.

The cloud is the dumbest concept ever conceived. It's just a buzzword to fool stockholders to invest in something. They all think passing CPU processes to web servers will magically cure cancer, when the truth is, the infrastructure right now for most people can't really support a good experience, and I doubt that will change in 10 years unless some crazy fantastic Star-Trek tech is invented so everyone gets cheap, light speed fast internet.

can we just ban polygon from this site?

edit for clarification: polygon is just a PR piece for microsoft most of the time. I admit that i didn't read the full article but only because I didn't want to give that site any clicks.

See, I don't get nonsense like this. There was absolutely nothing about this article that suggested them making themselves a PR mouthpiece for Microsoft. If you actually read the article instead of attempting to fall in line with the crowd, you'd actually know what was said.

There is plenty of criticism and doubt brought up in this very article about Microsoft's plans, certainly more than enough to not be considered an attempt to cover up for and defend Microsoft. But because in the process of expressing what seemed to be strong skepticism of their own about Microsoft's plans, they actually allow an official response from Microsoft, suddenly that makes them a PR mouthpiece that should be banned from this site? Maybe it's people who say such things without actually reading the contents of the article that should start worrying about being banned.

Everdred

Well if you compare Xbone and PS4, that argument doesn't really hold up. PlayStation has a bit more power and the software itself can always be updated to adapt to the market. The 360 is an example of this. It grew as it needed to over time. It's up to Sony to make it happen. All this is telling me is that we're going to force you to like what we think is the future.

Piper Az

This reminds me of the HDtv discussion when when the PS3/360 launched. Those consoles were designed for gamers having HDtv, and I remember how people were talking about the lack of HDtv penetration to homes (it wasn't a big deal eventually as that market caught up). MS is making bet now on having a constant connection to the net. The difference is that it appears that the connection is required, whereas SDtvs were supported by PS3/360 (although it sucked).

Meier

Future-proof system? This just ensures that the games won't be future-proof since there's no doubt they'll continue to prevent backwards compatibility.

Future proof yet it's weaker than its competitor.

I don't get this "Sony is not the rival anymore". They would very quickly pay attention if a lot of their user base switched to PS4. They want software sales too.

Mr Swine

Banned
Future proof yet it's weaker than its competitor.

I don't get this "Sony is not the rival anymore". They would very quickly pay attention if a lot of their user base switched to PS4. They want software sales too.

It's the new "15 year plan instead of 10 year plan!" So we will see this generation last een longer if this is what Ms means of future proofing...

It's the new "15 year plan instead of 10 year plan!" So we will see this generation last een longer if this is what Ms means of future proofing...

The whole thing has been disappointing in my opinion, not only the reveal itself (was aware games saved for e3) but the demeanour of MS reps/PR afterwards. I am pessimistic by nature but I didn't think they would piss in their own fish tank this much.

Clevinger

So it's either always online required, or this "cloud" PR speak is all bullshit. Every 24 hour check in would not be able to use "the infinite power of the cloud."

I'm guessing always online is required and the cloud processing BS is just a nice excuse for it.

"We don't have always online DRM. We have infiniiiiiite clooouuuuuuud pooowwweeeeeeeeeeer."

Top Bottom