• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

KainXVIII

How do i set up voodoo for this game to enable aa?

From my steam thread, works for me! (don't forget to disable Borderless windowed mode in game options)
LqlGrOO.png

xTaAvzU.png

Ever have those games where you get stuck for weeks and it is a simple solution? That happened to me here. Finally got the spectacles. -_-

Nyoro SF

Just beat it yesterday. What a fascinating game, and a real signature title from Falcom. The fact that this RPG that features so many cool interconnecting shortcuts and zippy combat years before Souls games hit the market and grabbed mainstream attention is amazing.

Both the story and the music are fantastic too. The music for boss battles makes you feel like a real badass, and I won't deny being sad at the ending. The fact that the game ranks you on time, deaths, etc. at the end is hilarious, wasn't expecting that. Also the fact that equipping armor and weapons in-game actually changes the models on your character is a nice important addition which makes it feel like you are really progressing.

It's crushing that this title isn't more popular. It's pretty much the type of game any hardcore gamer reveres Falcom for, but...

bobawesome

The first hour or so I was really regretting my purchase and deleted the game and put in a request for a refund on Steam. About an hour passed and I decided to give it another chance. Three hours in and I'm starting to really, really enjoy my time with the game. Glad I gave it another shot.

bobawesome

Beat the game just now. Not too bad, I guess. I didn't really care for the final area that much.

Towards the end of the game there was a cutscene involving
the sages being trapped by the Black Bride and Theobald was spinning in place at 100 miles per hour.
It was both hilarious and infuriating since it killed the gravity of the final boss battle for me since it's all I could think about.

edit: Just tried my hand at getting a badge/wallpaper and the first is the rare one. Score. It's like a so bad it's great metal album cover.

Just beat it yesterday. What a fascinating game, and a real signature title from Falcom. The fact that this RPG that features so many cool interconnecting shortcuts and zippy combat years before Souls games hit the market and grabbed mainstream attention is amazing.

Both the story and the music are fantastic too. The music for boss battles makes you feel like a real badass, and I won't deny being sad at the ending. The fact that the game ranks you on time, deaths, etc. at the end is hilarious, wasn't expecting that. Also the fact that equipping armor and weapons in-game actually changes the models on your character is a nice important addition which makes it feel like you are really progressing.

It's crushing that this title isn't more popular. It's pretty much the type of game any hardcore gamer reveres Falcom for, but...

Didn't see the ranking system coming, either. I knew I was saving A LOT and thought to myself: boy, I sure am glad there's not a counter for saves. The rankings are also a bit infuriating considering your level can be lowered by a certain enemy.

Cqef

Towards the end of the game there was a cutscene involving
the sages being trapped by the Black Bride and Theobald was spinning in place at 100 miles per hour.
It was both hilarious and infuriating since it killed the gravity of the final boss battle for me since it's all I could think about.

Hahaha the same happened to me, just consider it like a nod to Gurumin and you'll be good :V

Finalow

a bit late to the party but I finished this game recently and I really enjoyed it.
the dungeon they added as 'optional post-game dungeon' is definitely not worth your time though, especially since you need to grind quite a bit in order to finish it. even the boss in there is a just reskin of something you've seen/fought already.

Heh. Somewhat relieved it wasn't just me, then.
I think I saw that happening more than once, it was kind of hilarious.
less hilarious is the fact that half of the achievements are still bugged.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just finished this! The last boss, oh boy. Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.gif, just tanked hits and used potions/elixirs and hit the core thing with dragonslayer every now and then. Sloppy as fuck but it ended up working. I don't quite care for ultra-intense bullet-hell kind of fights though, I think I preferred most of the other bosses.
the dungeon they added as 'optional post-game dungeon' is definitely not worth your time though, especially since you need to grind quite a bit in order to finish it. even the boss in there is a just reskin of something you've seen/fought already.
Wait what? Post-game dungeon? The game just took me back to the title screen after the ending...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did you notice the cutscene that showed a portal opening in the castle foyer when you approached the end boss room? That portal is how you get in.

It's not worth it though, the dungeon is a miserable slog.
Hmm actually, no... or I thought it was something else. But OK, I won't bother, thanks.

Marow

I've decided to finally start playing this! I tried it out a short while, including part of the first venture into combat, but I have two questions. I apologize as these have probably been answered before.

1. I notice some fps drops at times, like in town. Any idea what could be done about that? Is there any settings that should be changed?

2. Are there any early general tips that can be good to know? Like, something that could make the experience sour otherwise. Or maybe another preferred button layout.

Ascheroth

I've decided to finally start playing this! I tried it out a short while, including part of the first venture into combat, but I have two questions. I apologize as these have probably been answered before.

1. I notice some fps drops at times, like in town. Any idea what could be done about that? Is there any settings that should be changed?

2. Are there any early general tips that can be good to know? Like, something that could make the experience sour otherwise. Or maybe another preferred button layout.

1. What's your framebuffer setting? Try lowering that one. Or try this first:
Later in the Steam thread that KainXVIII created, DarkSpartan posted a link to a different DirectX 8 wrapper that, in my experience at least, works even better:

https://bitbucket.org/ThirteenAG/d3d8-wrapper/downloads

Just unzip the two files, and put them in the same folder as the Xanadu Next .exe. No configuration needed (though again, I can only speak to my experience here, no guarantees of course). The .ini has a few options, but I didn't need to change any of them.

There's no penalty to load times at all, unlike the other option (I thought that the longer loads were gone when disabling borderless windowed mode, but there was still a slight increase compared to normal). Still, big thanks to KainXVIII for finding out about the first program and creating the thread, or else I never would have found out about either fix!

As a bonus, this one even worked for me with the Trails in the Sky series! There's an issue with those games (at least for me and some other people) on Windows 10 where they ignore vsync and always run at 125 FPS - they can be capped to 60 with RivaTuner, but that solution still leaves intermittent stuttering, similar to the issue with Xanadu. This ThirteenAG d3d8 wrapper fixes that entirely - they now run at a smooth 60 with no RivaTuner needed!
I haven't used this myself, but it seems to work.

2) Keys are your friends. One can never have enough keys at hand. Selling bones and buying keys is also more efficient than making them yourself (once you're able to) in my experience. The latter should be reserved for when you're just a few short and don't want to go back to restock.
Also, if you haven't noticed it yet, there's 1 guaranteed chest drop per room, which is from the last defeated enemy. That way you're able to control drops somewhat.
Can't say anything to the controller setup as I've played it entirely with mouse.

Nyoro SF

1) Is your framerate set to "Smooth" (60fps) in the Options? If it is and you're still getting framerate drops, I would email XSEED support about the problem (with your hardware detailed).

2) Given how keys work in the game, it's smarter to sell the bones to the shop and purchase lots of skeletons keys at once than it is to use the tool to turn bones into keys. This especially applies to the last dungeon, where you will need something around 30 keys.

Build your character however you like. It's easy to correct mistakes with the leveling down system.

Marow

Thanks for the help! After having finished the first dungeon (I think?) and its boss, I certainly understand that keys will be needed. As for the performance issues, I turned off the anti-aliasing and they went away for most part. Kinda weird, but hey, it worked! Not that the game look too different without it.

As for the game itself... it's really fun! Not entirely sure if I'll continue this weekend, as I feel like I might be in the mood for something else, but I basically loved it. It seems like it'll be a mix between Ys, Metroid and Zelda.

Marow

Alright, I need some serious help right now regarding an item. I can't find any information at all about this (late-game spoilers?).

So I just learned Agnes sells you the silver armor if you've purchased her previous stuff. Looking at the list I'm missing the improved bone carving knife, sold in Trechier Woods. The problem is that it's sold... after a cutscene, in an area without enemies. So how the heck do I trigger her again? I've tried every area in the woods, but she doesn't seem to spawn elsewhere.

Edit. It doesn't really matter now as I beat the game! But still, there seems to be a missable item or a bug unless someone else knows what's up.

As for the game itself?

It's great!

I don't love it compared to other Falcom titles on Steam (it feels a bit rough?), but gosh is it better than most at the end of the day. It also has a great setting and atmosphere. And as always with Falcom games the story and ending comes to a nice conclusion. Reading through reviews I've seen that many had issues remembering the map layouts, but I personally never had any issues with it.

Reading through reviews I've seen that many had issues remembering the map layouts, but I personally never had any issues with it.
Figuring out where to go is really only a problem in Eternal Maze and Castle Strangerock, but it's damn quick to reorient yourself and get the sluice gates right.

Also, holy fuck it took some work for me to recover my account. Phew.

Since I am oh-so-slowly learning to read Japanese, I was wondering if either the GOG or Steam versions of the game contain a Japanese language option?

I was really digging this game, but I'm pretty close to giving up on it. I was prepared to put up with the usual Falcom action game mess where I sometimes just do 1 point of damage to bosses per hit, and the need to grind some levels and money to overcome this. While that happened only three times in this one so far, I wasn't anticipating the gimmick of the Lich boss.

I spent the last hour and a half grinding to do more than 1 point of damage to the thing, and within a minute, he uses his Level Down ability to bring me back to doing 1 point of damage. Not my idea of a good time. Any tips to deal with this guy are very welcome.

Genki

Übersandvich;233690141 said:
Since I am oh-so-slowly learning to read Japanese, I was wondering if either the GOG or Steam versions of the game contain a Japanese language option?

None of the XSEED Falcom releases do unfortunately :/. I really don't see why considering YS VIII and Tokyo Xanadu will include Japanese.

Psxphile

None of the XSEED Falcom releases do unfortunately :/. I really don't see why considering YS VIII and Tokyo Xanadu will include Japanese.

I thought that was just regarding a dub?

I think the poster was referring to Japanese text. Very few localizations ever keep the original text.

Nyoro SF

I was really digging this game, but I'm pretty close to giving up on it. I was prepared to put up with the usual Falcom action game mess where I sometimes just do 1 point of damage to bosses per hit, and the need to grind some levels and money to overcome this. While that happened only three times in this one so far, I wasn't anticipating the gimmick of the Lich boss.

I spent the last hour and a half grinding to do more than 1 point of damage to the thing, and within a minute, he uses his Level Down ability to bring me back to doing 1 point of damage. Not my idea of a good time. Any tips to deal with this guy are very welcome.

It's been a while, but I don't remember having to grind over an hour and a half to do damage. Usually damage came down to investing gold into weaponry or equipping stat boosters over raw levels. I suppose it also helps that I focused on the Guardian that gave experience bonus.

Like for instance against the spider boss I went all-in on magic with the Sorcerer card and the magic boost equip.

If you have the time I recommend watching the no-damage boss fight videos for help.

He is talking about Japanese text. Most if not all localized titles tend to strip out the Japanese text. Maybe just because it's a bother to keep it programming-wise.

Genki

I thought that was just regarding a dub?

I think the poster was referring to Japanese text. Very few localizations ever keep the original text.

I got that. Ys VIII will 100% include Japanese text in any case. Thought I'd seen confirmation for Tokyo Xanadu too, but there's no steam page.

He is talking about Japanese text. Most if not all localized titles tend to strip out the Japanese text. Maybe just because it's a bother to keep it programming-wise.

This is not true anymore. There are tons of games on Steam that include Japanese text. Many titles have even been updated post-release to add it(e.g. Dark Souls, Dangan Ronpas, Atelier Firis and so on). XSEED's non-Falcom games generally include Japanese text support as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think the goto strategy in this game works on the Lichs as well, use freeze magic, it's insanely OP.

I think the goto strategy in this game works on the Lichs as well, use freeze magic, it's insanely OP.
Yeah, lichs don't resist freezing. And I'm puzzled as to how you can only be doing 1 point of damage after so far into the game (might be possible through caution and lots of healing items), as if that's common in an Ys game. Flugel, point destribution, and equipping stat buffs in the loadout in order to wield higher-level weapons should help.

I got that. Ys VIII will 100% include Japanese text in any case. Thought I'd seen confirmation for Tokyo Xanadu too, but there's no steam page.

XSEED's non-Falcom games generally include Japanese text support as well.
I'd rather hear word from NISA about Japanese text being included since "Interface" checked just on the Steam page could be misleading or tentative. But yeah, I'm not sure why XSEED's been able to get Japanese text for some PC releases but not Falcom games, perhaps because Falcom currently sells Japanese PC digital downloads via DMM and other stores. For that matter, Aksys and NISA have successfully acquired Japanese voices for their Falcom releases, but that could imply Falcom's signed new and more accessible VA contracts (since Cold Steel II) expressly to help localization.

Genki

I'd rather hear word from NISA about Japanese text being included since "Interface" checked just on the Steam page could be misleading or tentative.

It's both interface and subs, and it's missing french audio which is of course correct... It's fine to be sceptical and all, but I'm unaware of a case where these descriptions have been incorrect. Well, that's not entirely true. XSEED's store page for LKS was missing Japanese text when it first launched, but that was of course an error in the opposite direction.

Sorry for the off-topic derail though. Hope to get around to Xanadu Next one of these days...

Kikirin

Hm. I don't generally remember needing to grind heavily for damage, though I was generally on top of the weapons at the shop and proficiency for them. When you're leveled down, are you swapping your equipment out to stuff that you can still use at your reduced level/stats?

Hm. I don't generally remember needing to grind heavily for damage, though I was generally on top of the weapons at the shop and proficiency for them. When you're leveled down, are you swapping your equipment out to stuff that you can still use at your reduced level/stats?
I generally didn't carry old equipment other than helmets, because I didn't expect to be levelled down. Lesson learned. I checked out some Let's Plays and noticed I was three levels lower than the rest when I first faced the Lich. I was able to upgrade my weapon another time with the time I spent farming, and this and the extra STR boost made a big difference in the amount of damage I dealt.

I don't know why, but I always have the same issues with Ys games. I don't think I skip any encounters, yet I somehow end up behind the expected curve. I can only assume people explore more or differently, which adds up after a while?

This was a super helpful tip. I mainly invested in lightning magic up until then, but freeze has proven useful for the Lich and the boss after.

Top Bottom