• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

jb1234

Man this (3rd boss)
Evilwyrm (wurm?)
is kicking my arse.

By the time I can get behind him, I barely can put a dent on his HP bar and his charge attacks eats 3/4 of my HP. :-\

Very souls-esque.

There's a trick to beating him. I got slaughtered several times until I figured it out.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it, got D's and C's on everything but skills which I got an S. Got Rank 6 and it unlocked the rank 20 achievement, lol.

Man this (3rd boss)
Evilwyrm (wurm?)
is kicking my arse.

By the time I can get behind him, I barely can put a dent on his HP bar and his charge attacks eats 3/4 of my HP. :-

Very souls-esque.
I just used magic for that fight, it was too difficult to get close to him. I found magic needle lvl 3 to be pretty effective.

A little strange that you go straight from fighting the third boss to fighting the fourth, but I did like the fourth boss. He wasn't too much of a challenge but I think we had generally well designed.

Lain

Something is bothering me. I found a Thunder 2 scroll yesterday, I learned it and kept whacking things but when I went to look at my magic list later, it only had ice, fire and needle.

Optional dungeon starts getting really bonkers around Floor 14. I'm more than halfway at this point, though.

Man does anyone know the location of the Memoir that's 5th on the list?
That's Unicorn, right? You can get that before fighting Berilard, so check all parts of Clover Ruins and Eternal Maze B1 you can access at the moment. It's not especially hidden.

jetsaito

Having a hard time telling if I'm doing something wrong or is my game is bugged. There's a certain vital puzzle in the Volcano area that I can't seem to solve.

nzaahi.png

In this part I think you're just supposed to knock down the color blocks above to push the blocks under it onto the pressure plates next to them, however it won't let me actually push the ones that lay beneath.
bfcjbt.png

Am I missing something here?

Sara

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm still working on the problems people are having and to expect some more patches soon!

That's Unicorn, right? You can get that before fighting Berilard, so check all parts of Clover Ruins and Eternal Maze B1 you can access at the moment. It's not especially hidden.

Ah found it
behind the waterfall
. I walked by that chest god knows how many times but assumed I had already gotten it.

Eila

Supposedly it functions like MSAA.

I guess it's internal resolution. If you set it at the lowest it looks like a 3DO game. I just left it unassigned, found out that what looked best in my setup. But if you have the power I guess running it at it's highest will look better.

Tizoc

I guess it's internal resolution. If you set it at the lowest it looks like a 3DO game. I just left it unassigned, found out that what looked best in my setup. But if you have the power I guess running it at it's highest will look better.
Weirdoy enough aa enabled+frame buffer at 8k slogs the performance to 30 fps

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm still working on the problems people are having and to expect some more patches soon!

Thanks. Havent had anything but rare framerate issues and the custom name bug on my end (shoulda ended his name with ... for extra hilarity).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked up this game on GOG and played it this weekend. I'm definitely digging it, it's one of those games you wanna keep playing... making it a bit further in the dungeon every time.

It's a bit clunkier than the Ys series, like how you can't attack until the cursor shows up around the enemy (or object), and sometimes it'll target thick grass or barrels instead of the enemies you want it to. You can tell it's made a bit more for mouse-play but I hate games where you control character movement with the mouse.

I've seen a few glitches so far - whenever you get a new Tablet, the item name pops up on screen and then disappears too fast to even read it. Also, trying the Name Entry screen with a gamepad does all sorts of strange glitches like make the cursor disappear. (it works fine with mouse)

The game reminds me a lot of a long-lost Dreamcast game for some reason. I think it's the graphics and aesthetic, even the font used seems like something you'd see in a DC title. I dig the graphics, even if it's hardly 'state of the art' at this point. Music is pretty low-key for a Falcom game, more ambient and atmospheric and feels more like something you'd hear in an older western RPG. Dunno if I'm into that so much...

It's one of those games though that keep on getting me to play it... "oh, I'm so close to being able to afford that Axe, let me play for another 10 min..." (2 hours later...). Making progress little by little... though getting cockblocked because I'm out of keys/bones is a hassle (especially in the endless maze area). That was also something that frustrated me with Faxanadu when I played through last year! :p

Anyways, I just beat the Skulltula boss and am at a loss where to go next. Someone in town talks about a forest but I don't know how to get there.

Eusis

I've currently set it to 2048x2048 and had it at 4096x4096 as well for some time.
I'm not really sure what it does though tbh.
It changes what the game is rendered at internally, though the UI and stuff like that are left unchanged. I figured that out since that was the issue Dark Souls had with the PC port, and if you set the frame buffer really low the graphics will be crazy low res while the UI is fine.

Tizoc

Didn't you have a laptop? Maybe it's using your intel graphics. That's what I suspect happened to mine.

I've made sure it is using my NVidia graphics card and NVidia Control Panel has my GTX 970M as the default global gfx card to use for all games as well.
I think it may just be that it defaults to the Intel GFX card so I'll investigate this @_@

EDIT: Hmm is it safe to disable my Intel HD Graphics? One thing I found odd is that if I set up the NVidia Inspector settings but disable Frame Buffer the jaggies are 'less' but with FB on the jaggies are more noticeable.

Ascheroth

It changes what the game is rendered at internally, though the UI and stuff like that are left unchanged. I figured that out since that was the issue Dark Souls had with the PC port, and if you set the frame buffer really low the graphics will be crazy low res while the UI is fine.

Huh, interesting.

Anyway, I can now say that the Guardians achievement doesn't work. It's sitting at 73/82 and I've maxed them all. But boy, that last guardian sure is something :O

Also, an end game question: What's with
the Netherworld? I've found a Wooden Sword inside, has that any significance? And how many floors are there?

But boy, that last guardian sure is something :O

Also, an end game question: What's with
the Netherworld? I've found a Wooden Sword inside, has that any significance? And how many floors are there?
The optional dungeon has 25 floors + a bottom arena featuring the last boss. As for the
Wooden Stick, it's a gag weapon that still kicks ass in Strangerock, just not most of Netherworld
. You can find other items down there as well, like
a Japanese teen's school uniform
or
an item at the 25th floor that lets you pass through barriers in Time Crevice and Netherworld
Netherworld
's a challenging dungeon, but you'll be fine with maxed-out Celbesk and extra bonus points gained using Flugel and Bella Freude. Be sure to equip Freezing if you want stop whole rooms from destroying you before you can take out enemies like
Skeleton Priests
Ogre Lords
, and maybe
Dragons
. I'm also using two or three armlets to seal/curse/paralyze foes, plus a slot for large health potions since there's usually a room on each floor that gives you a replacement large potion.

What did you think of
Agnes being Lord Lyndale's delinquent, but competent and grateful daughter
? I saw this coming ahead of the reveal, but it's still satisfying. She's got a great sequel hook if you think about it.

Ascheroth

The optional dungeon has 25 floors + a bottom arena featuring the last boss. As for the
Wooden Stick, it's a gag weapon that still kicks ass in Strangerock, just not most of Netherworld
. You can find other items down there as well, like
a Japanese teen's school uniform
or
an item at the 25th floor that lets you pass through barriers in Time Crevice and Netherworld
Netherworld
's a challenging dungeon, but you'll be fine with maxed-out Celbesk and extra bonus points gained using Flugel and Bella Freude. Be sure to equip Freezing if you want stop whole rooms from destroying you before you can take out enemies like
Skeleton Priests
Ogre Lords
, and maybe
Dragons
. I'm also using two or three armlets to seal/curse/paralyze foes, plus a slot for large health potions since there's usually a room on each floor that gives you a replacement large potion.

What did you think of
Agnes being Lord Lyndale's delinquent, but competent and grateful daughter
? I saw this coming ahead of the reveal, but it's still satisfying. She's got a great sequel hook if you think about it.

Looks like I still have a long way to go, heh.

The
Agnes stuff was pretty neat, yes
. The game in general is very good at hinting at things long before it outright tells you, like
you being the fugitive right hand man of the commander of the knights (I think?)
. Heck, all the tabulas and memoires are basically that.

Pyrrhus

I'm enjoying this a lot, though I've just barely begun to scratch the surface. I like how workmanlike the art style is. I like a somewhat grounded Japanese Western-inspired fantasy art style. And I'd agree it looks like a lost Dreamcast game in the best possible way.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that was there some kind of hard break in their style after about Ys Origin. You have stuff like this and Brandish and Oath in Felghana and it's right in my wheelhouse. But then just before this title I believe they released Trails in the Sky, which ended up being very popular. And then with Ys 7 and onward everything seems to reflect that. Angular, primary-colored character portraits that look like anime cels rather than illustrations, and they shifted the balance away from mechanics and tight, brief, heavily replayable games to 90 hour long visual novels with lots of subquest box checking and item farming. And though this isn't really something I'd level at Trails specifically, they seem to have upped the pandering costumes and archetypes for the girls and thrown away the cool armor and stoic leads in favor of effeminate boys with soft eyes in what are basically street clothes. The art style choices are generally not as pleasing to me and the pacing is stretched all to hell.

Don't get me wrong, I still like their more modern stuff in its own way but I definitely like their vintage stuff a lot more. Am I imagining a hard break or just working with an incomplete understanding of their style changes from game to game or was there in fact a deliberate shift on their parts? I mean, I will immediately buy their back catalog at full price on release day, no questions asked, but I look at Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu and just kind of push away from the table with a, "Nah, I'm good."

I'd say maybe they should realize they still have an audience who leans toward grognard rather than otaku and could afford to throw some love that way, but if this game has only sold about 3,000 copies so far I guess that's probably a vain hope. Still, I'm elated this finally came out. The wait of years is over.

Wow, I got a D in everything except Skills which I got an S rank in lol. Great game though, loved it.

Does getting a better Rank unlock something?

matmanx1

I may or may not have loaded Steam up on my work PC and downloaded XN to show a co-worker for a few minutes during a break today. Because, you know, you shouldn't play video games at work!
I totally showed the game off and gushed about it and my co-worker was very impressed. #worthit

Durante

Finally got to spend some more time on this and I'm liking it even more now that it opened up further. It has been quite a while since I felt compelled to take notes of all the things still to do and/or investigate in a game. Really good.

Ascheroth

Finally got to spend some more time on this and I'm liking it even more now that it opened up further. It has been quite a while since I felt compelled to take notes of all the things still to do and/or investigate in a game. Really good.

I've hand drawn a map of the forest area with good old pen & paper. Felt good.

Giving two-handed a shot and rolling with the Besswarr. Thing hits like a goddamn truck. Wasn't planning on grabbing the Zweihander but I just might have to.

The game has really good progression both in its systems and equipment. Every item feels like either a solid improvement over the previous, or has something unique about it that makes it stand on its own.

kOZb2gK.jpg

I don't have a problem. You have a problem. Shut up.

Looks like I still have a long way to go, heh.

The
Agnes stuff was pretty neat, yes
. The game in general is very good at hinting at things long before it outright tells you, like
you being the fugitive right hand man of the commander of the knights (I think?)
. Heck, all the tabulas and memoires are basically that.
I'm at Floor 17 so far. Even after reducing to level 1 and then using Bella Freude to min-max, I was having trouble on that floor at level 23! Bestiary there is just absurd, but I love the added challenge. I've made the trek to level 24 easier by grinding all my alt Guardians to max at Strangerock.

Re: spoilers,
Brave Sir Knight was Marquis Furnival's aide and confidant who, after learning why Furnival nobly martyred himself while disbanding the Northsea Chevaliers, grew despondent and accompanied Char out of desperation to find a new goal. A crucial implication here is that Brave Sir Knight learned he wasn't pragmatic enough to understand and fight against a ruler like Zordius, whereas Furnival could but turned himself in knowing he'd lose. Galsis, meanwhile, abides by an older style of war and manipulation, and the right knight fought him at the right time. Liese's speech before unsealing Galsis implies she's learned about Zordius and events around Leyland from gossip in town—she simultaneously exalts her husband while lamenting the rise of another, Galsis-like figure she can't stop

I'd say maybe they should realize they still have an audience who leans toward grognard rather than otaku and could afford to throw some love that way, but if this game has only sold about 3,000 copies so far I guess that's probably a vain hope. Still, I'm elated this finally came out. The wait of years is over.
Grognards are otaku in Japan too. We've discussed all the factors leading to Falcom's current direction before, over which I too am disappointed. That said, I've heard good things about Ys VIII and am hopeful releases like this (and Gurumin 3D) will encourage Falcom to tap into their legacy and find a middle-ground that appeals to old and new fans. XSEED and Falcom really need to start a survey so the developers can hear what our broad interests are.

Does getting a better Rank unlock something?
No. It's solely for vanity, though it's fun to challenge yourself.

The game has really good progression both in its systems and equipment. Every item feels like either a solid improvement over the previous, or has something unique about it that makes it stand on its own.
Even weapons you only use for a few minutes when leveling them up to 100% mastery are fun. I really like Thunder Saber, Berserker, Spiked Mace, and of course the Vorpal Blade because it's aware of the existence of demons and has personally arrived in Harlech to kill them. Weapon and armor descriptions are quite fun to read in Xananext.

lol @ that key count

Where are the seventh tabulae and the final memoir? I have finally reached the Castle, so if they're past that, I don't need an exact location.

Also, is there a list of rare weapon drops and their locations? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

preta

Where are the seventh tabulae and the final memoir? I have finally reached the Castle, so if they're past that, I don't need an exact location.

Also, is there a list of rare weapon drops and their locations? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

IIRC, the seventh tabula is
frozen in ice near the end of the Eternal Maze, in the left side of the room
. Don't remember where the final memoir was.

Eusis

I think Falcom looking at From could see potentially that there is an audience for more hardcore varieties of RPG and that they could try to take advantage themselves. Obviously the likes of Dark Souls are... mostly different, but there's still that sort of thread there.

But part of the appeal with them is that they kinda hit several buttons at different times, as going hardcore into anime directions is hardly a strange new development for them.

jimboton

I'm enjoying this a lot, though I've just barely begun to scratch the surface. I like how workmanlike the art style is. I like a somewhat grounded Japanese Western-inspired fantasy art style. And I'd agree it looks like a lost Dreamcast game in the best possible way.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that was there some kind of hard break in their style after about Ys Origin. You have stuff like this and Brandish and Oath in Felghana and it's right in my wheelhouse. But then just before this title I believe they released Trails in the Sky, which ended up being very popular. And then with Ys 7 and onward everything seems to reflect that. Angular, primary-colored character portraits that look like anime cels rather than illustrations, and they shifted the balance away from mechanics and tight, brief, heavily replayable games to 90 hour long visual novels with lots of subquest box checking and item farming. And though this isn't really something I'd level at Trails specifically, they seem to have upped the pandering costumes and archetypes for the girls and thrown away the cool armor and stoic leads in favor of effeminate boys with soft eyes in what are basically street clothes. The art style choices are generally not as pleasing to me and the pacing is stretched all to hell.

Don't get me wrong, I still like their more modern stuff in its own way but I definitely like their vintage stuff a lot more. Am I imagining a hard break or just working with an incomplete understanding of their style changes from game to game or was there in fact a deliberate shift on their parts? I mean, I will immediately buy their back catalog at full price on release day, no questions asked, but I look at Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu and just kind of push away from the table with a, "Nah, I'm good."

Yeah, this is me as well with respect to modern Falcom. Or modern jrpgs in general.

Tizoc

Just experienced my first crash :v
I used the teleport pendant at an area that has water and some wooden platforms and the game crashed. I'll just avoid using the pendent there then.

Ascheroth

Just experienced my first crash :v
I used the teleport pendant at an area that has water and some wooden platforms and the game crashed. I'll just avoid using the pendent there then.

I had a single crash when teleporting as well.
Thank god the game autosaves in every new room without telling you and asks you if you want to resume there after a crash.

matmanx1

Ok fellow adventurers I am having a brain malfunction on a certain box puzzle in the Eternal Maze. It's in B2F and it's where you have to stack boxes in a certain way in order to grab a treasure chest up on a pedestal. All of the boxes are wooden so you can smash them any way that you want and the room is not too far in from where you enter the Eternal Maze from the Mountains.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Erheller

Ok fellow adventurers I am having a brain malfunction on a certain box puzzle in the Eternal Maze. It's in B2F and it's where you have to stack boxes in a certain way in order to grab a treasure chest up on a pedestal. All of the boxes are wooden so you can smash them any way that you want and the room is not too far in from where you enter the Eternal Maze from the Mountains.

I know the exact puzzle you're stuck on and it gave me so much trouble before I learned something.

You know how you can walk up half a crate? You can also jump diagonally up half a crate. Just start your jump and aim diagonally and you should be able to make it.

Getting my butt kicked by this Lich in the Xanadu Labyrinth.
This guy is far harder than any of the actual bosses I've faced, and he kind of comes out of nowhere.

Tizoc

From a GameFAQs guide
Chest
_______
A |_|_|_|_|
B |_|_|_|_|
C |_|_|_|_|
D |_|_|_|_|

1 2 3 4

First of all, slash the crates at 1A once. Then, slash the crates at 3A once.
Slash the crate at 3C once. Climb onto 3C, push the crate at 3B onto the crates
at 3A. Move to 3B, then 2B, then hop onto the crates at 1A -
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/930337-xanadu-next/faqs/45513

DPB

Getting my butt kicked by this Lich in the Xanadu Labyrinth.
This guy is far harder than any of the actual bosses I've faced, and he kind of comes out of nowhere.

That was the hardest one for me so far, the first time I attempted it I could only do single-digit damage. In the Falcom tradition, gaining a single level was enough to make it much easier. Annoyingly, after the first time I died to it I chose to recover in the town, not realising that you're not just penalised by losing half your gold, you lose half your Black Onyxes and Magic Potions too.

Psxphile

That was the hardest one for me so far, the first time I attempted it I could only do single-digit damage. In the Falcom tradition, gaining a single level was enough to make it much easier. Annoyingly, after the first time I died to it I chose to recover in the town, not realising that you're not just penalised by losing half your gold, you lose half your Black Onyxes and Magic Potions too.

Probably the reason why they give you the option to store that stuff away in town.

Top Bottom