• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-men has always been politically progressive with anti-racism messages NO NEED TO POLITICIZE IT FURTHER

pel1300

EDIT: I titled the OP wrong, I should have said politically progressive, not "left leaning"...maybe that ERA programming isn't completely deleted yet.

I'm not as pumped for the X-Men reboot because of the writing on the wall with the MCU combined with the comment "X-Men as a title is outdated". X-Men has always seemed the more serious in its subject matter compared to what the MCU has done so far, and I think there's a decent chance the MCU make what already is somewhat subtle political commentary and make it more heavy handed/on the nose. As a kid I had no idea X-Men was inspired by Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

Maybe the title will be "The Mutants" because "X-People" just sounds stupid.

X-men the 1992 animated series did a decent job of it and at least in my experience...it was liked by both adults and kids whereas the other Marvel show of the 90s were not as well liked by adults. Even my super conservative dad liked the 1992 series and he hates everything.

My older sister who is super cynical and smart liked it too and watched it weekly with me even though she was 17 and top of her hs class valedictorian and I was 9. She liked SW ep 4 somewhat...REALLY liked Empire and thought ROTJ was horrible. She was shocked that Lucas could end the SW trilogy that way (this was before TPM). She then hated the prequels and said both my sisters said that Star Wars without Han Solo sucks. They both considered Han the best character and never liked Luke that much.

Back on topic do you think the xmen reboot will actually ditch the x men title? Seems like a bad marketing move. As an example, the Avengers title is huge. If Civil War had been titled "Avengers: Civil War" I bet it would have grossed at least a couple hundred million more.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

I always know an OP is serious business when the all caps text just smacks me in the face so I pay attention.

On the real, I've been trying harder recently to not worry about things I can't control, as cliche as that sounds. I am not always successful, in fact I frequently fail in this regard, however the bottom line is I personally believe that diversity/inclusion/politicizing (whatever you want to call it all) in my favorite media properties is a thing that isn't going away and I just have to try and enjoy them for what are, or critique them for what they aren't, regardless of political undertones.

I mean, it's hard for me to see them really going as far as changing the name to "X-People." I think that would be way too on the nose. I don't think you gotta worry about that.

Gender/race swapping characters you remember from comics? Yeah that will probably happen sooner than later, but honestly I just don't mind that kind of thing really. I think MJ in the Holland Spider-Man movies is a cool character.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I think MJ in the Holland Spider-Man movies is a cool character.

I think you are right not to let things out of your control bother you. Sound obvious when you say it but I regularly catch myself doing it.

As for MJ She won me over in the second movie for sure.

Weilthain

Banned
I take it back. Let’s go with Wo-men.

my joke doesn’t really make sense. I see that now. Just go with it

Last edited:
i went to a public bathroom yesterday only to be appalled omg

restroom-icon-sign-260nw-612022511.jpg

it looked just like this

the women's symbol had the person wearing a skirt whereas the man had no skirt, as if to say that men can't wear skirts

i swear to god i was going to scream but seeing as i am a calm and collected individual i contained my rightful anger

sol_bad

I think you are reading in to it too much op.
The woman that made the comment about the X-Men title being out of date, she was only an executive producer, why she was even interviewed I have no idea. Generally executive producers don't have much say in the films actual production.

As a few examples, Jon Favreau is an executive producer in all the MCU films that contain Tony Stark, maybe even in films that don't have him. Stan Lee is an executive producer in all/most Marvel films. You also have Edgar Wright as an executive producer on Ant-Man.

Even if they decide not to use the actual title of X-Men, there are plenty of X-Men team names to choose. You have X-Force, Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor, Exiles, New Mutants, Excalibur, Academy X, Hellions, Generation X, X-Ternals and Alpha Flight.

*EDIT*
I originally wrote Stan Lee twice re executive producers.
o_O

Last edited:

Airola

It's just about time for them to cancel Neil Armstrong for the "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" line.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd be ok with "X-mutants" or whatever, as long as story and characters don't suddenly change to fit far-left narrative (and I don't consider anti-racism "far-left", it's just common sense)

mckmas8808

Banned
I always know an OP is serious business when the all caps text just smacks me in the face so I pay attention.

On the real, I've been trying harder recently to not worry about things I can't control, as cliche as that sounds. I am not always successful, in fact I frequently fail in this regard, however the bottom line is I personally believe that diversity/inclusion/politicizing (whatever you want to call it all) in my favorite media properties is a thing that isn't going away and I just have to try and enjoy them for what are, or critique them for what they aren't, regardless of political undertones.

I mean, it's hard for me to see them really going as far as changing the name to "X-People." I think that would be way too on the nose. I don't think you gotta worry about that.

Gender/race swapping characters you remember from comics? Yeah that will probably happen sooner than later, but honestly I just don't mind that kind of thing really. I think MJ in the Holland Spider-Man movies is a cool character.

I never considered they would want to call it X-People lol. If they drop the X-Men name to that, I'm OUT!

desertdroog

The Overton Window must not stand still, put your backs into it mates!

It's never good enough in [current year], let's keep that outrage train rolling.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Denzel is one of my favourite actors
But damn, how did he survive the concentration camp 😅
On serious note, I actually think he would make a good Magneto.
But I can already see Magnetos new back story.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I read rumours that Xavier and Magneto might be people of colour, I'll admit that I was triggered and would be annoyed if it were true. But then I read something that I never knew, they were inspired by Malcolm X and Martin Luther King.

Then I realised that a modern day Jew from WW2 just wouldn't work if we want a young Magneto. THEN John Campea said on a stream that if the characters were POC, they could use the Rwanda Genocide as an example for Magneto's background.

Now if one of them or both of them are POC, I'm ok with it.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Denzel is one of my favourite actors
But damn, how did he survive the concentration camp 😅
On serious note, I actually think he would make a good Magneto.
But I can already see Magnetos new back story.
Anyone that lived through the Holocaust would be at least 75 years old now. Either you build a universe stuck in the 1990s, or you make some adjustments to make it fit the modern age.

Azurro

Banned
I read rumours that Xavier and Magneto might be people of colour, I'll admit that I was triggered and would be annoyed if it were true. But then I read something that I never knew, they were inspired by Malcolm X and Martin Luther King.

Then I realised that a modern day Jew from WW2 just wouldn't work if we want a young Magneto. THEN John Campea said on a stream that if the characters were POC, they could use the Rwanda Genocide as an example for Magneto's background.

Aren't you always shilling for MCU movies? :p

You'd watch a disney Xmen movie if it featured Wolverine as an angry black trans woman from Tahiti.

oagboghi2

You're okay with a decision Disney made. I'm shocked

sol_bad

Aren't you always shilling for MCU movies? :p

You'd watch a disney Xmen movie if it featured Wolverine as an angry black trans woman from Tahiti.

LMAO
I do love the MCU movies because they get comicdom right.
I have my limits though and I'll still call bullshit if I see it. I honestly hope there is no Wolverine at all in the new movies to be honest.
I just had no idea that Stan Lee was inspired by the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King/Malcolm X. I find that simple fact pretty fascinating.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Viewing mutants as POC/lbgtq in an oppressive white culture is an interesting take. But then you gotta wonder if Stan meant to imply that POC have magical abilities whites dont, are prone to becoming homicidal maniacs if given just a little authority/power, and essentially cant be trusted to police themselves and their behavior.

So basically, yeah, x-men tackles some themes but dont take it too literally.

I dont really have an issue with race or gender switching any mutant, most of them are pretty generic to me. For those that do have a specific ethnic origin like magneto, it would be a shame to lose a Jewish character for another minority. Or Gambit, as his cajun roots are about all I know of the character. I just wish they would reach for more than the black actor rolodex when doing this. Give us a Hispanic/latin Magneto. PLENTY of oppressive regimes down there to pick from as well. Same with SE Asia. Make the MCU feel really global, not just US + Wakanda.

Edit: even better, though Disney would NEVER risk their chinese access, but make Magneto the guy who stood in Tianimen Square. Imagine the tank barrel bending down as guards drag him away

Last edited:

TGO

I really can't see how they can introduce the X-Men now.
If it's original origin or a new modern one.
It begs the question, where were they during the last 22 films.
Hell some X-Men are way above the power level of anyone in the MCU..
Jean Grey could have ended Endgame in a blink

TGO

After watching the film that part just felt so out of place.
So left field and made no sense to any of the events in the film up until that part.
Professor X should of been like.
giphy.gif

sol_bad

After watching the film that part just felt so out of place.
So left field and made no sense to any of the events in the film up until that part.
Professor X should of been like.
giphy.gif

That was my reaction in the theater. Especially made no sense when Quicksilver and Night crawler were needed in the mission they just finished.

Yeah. Mutants vs humanity is pretty much a fantasized and tweaked version of black vs white in the past, or feminists (the good ones that fight for equality and don't wan't special treatment. Full, TRUE equality.

The X-men and others were all about trying to make humanity see that they are all family and want to be equals. They don't go on x-twitter and bitch about how the humans patriarchy is oppressing them. It is most of humanity that oppresses them.

Of course there are the classic murder machine, genius and powerful magneto to fight for mutant supremacy. It's like Antifa fighting for all cars to be free of windows and lets face it, any valuables inside. The spoils of war for a bunch of hypocritical, COMPLETELY retarded jackoffs.

To be fair, the far right groups versions of antifa are a bunch of retarded jerkoffs, complete with homemade hypocrisy stew.

-Minsc-

Yeah. Mutants vs humanity is pretty much a fantasized and tweaked version of black vs white in the past, or feminists (the good ones that fight for equality and don't wan't special treatment. Full, TRUE equality.

The X-men and others were all about trying to make humanity see that they are all family and want to be equals. They don't go on x-twitter and bitch about how the humans patriarchy is oppressing them. It is most of humanity that oppresses them.

Of course there are the classic murder machine, genius and powerful magneto to fight for mutant supremacy. It's like Antifa fighting for all cars to be free of windows and lets face it, any valuables inside. The spoils of war for a bunch of hypocritical, COMPLETELY retarded jackoffs.

To be fair, the far right groups versions of antifa are a bunch of retarded jerkoffs, complete with homemade hypocrisy stew.

I'll presume X-Men is too much of an allegory and does not fit the mold of what whatever modern day anti-racism is. Make it the message more in our face so people can fight and be tense instead of using the fictional mutants as a softener between two different groups. Maybe. And to make money.

Doom85

Regarding the Magneto thing, yeah they kinda have to change the backstory at this point if they don't want Magneto to be 80+ years old at this point. I'm not saying he can't be Jewish, but being a Holocaust survivor is increasingly making less sense for the character's age as the years go on. Same reason I hear Punisher comics nowadays don't exactly bring up Frank serving in the Vietnam War.

That being said, oh fuck yeah should they definitely take any chance they can get to get Denzel Washington into the MCU, love pretty much everything he does. Honestly, the only re-casting I hope doesn't happen is the actress who played Laura in Logan, she was so good that I hope if the X-Force movie happens she can reprise the role and by then she'd be old enough to not feel out-of-place on the team. Not saying none of the other FOX cast weren't good (for example, I'd be totally cool with McAvoy and Fassbender returning) but since she only got to be in one movie it would be nice for her to have the opportunity to be in a few more.

Top Bottom