• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Wrestlemania 22 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

For anyone who cares about the WWE GAF fantasy league...

1 BeerPong 2051 205.1
2 Penis Suplex 2030 203.0
3 Im Picking No1 But Chris Masters 2019 201.9
4 Jobbers FTW 1968 196.8
5 Memles 1952 195.2
6 Samoa Joe > WWE 1949 194.9
7 Fanboy Inc 1913 191.3
8 ALAIYALIAIYAILIAYALIAAALAYYIIII 1877 187.7
9 Flying Lizards 1838 183.8
10 ECO 1830 183.0

...that's it. I ended up in 3rd, which is exactly where I thought I'd end up.

The highlight of the night was mostly the crowd. Without it, the show would be well below average. The big problem with tonight's event was (as expected) too many matches, which lead into many rushed matches. The MITB and triple threat could have been 100 times better with more time, and that could have been easily fixed without the useless Boogeyman/pillow fight matches.

As for Cena, what pisses me off more about him other than his lack of wrestling talent, is his inability to properly interact with the crowd. He got almost the entire arena against him, he should use it at his own advantage. The Rock was a prime of example of this, even with the crowd being against him while he was face, he would just look at the crowd and give them the finger, clap and just simply play the heel and/or break kayfabe during that time only, and most of the time people would just switch back and cheer for him. That's a psychology that unfortunately, Cena doesn't have. Ignoring the "fuck you Cena" and "you can't wrestle" chants can only make it worse.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Agreed.

If the product is so bad, why do you guys watch every week? I know everyone gives the stock "because I want it to be good again" or "I like workers like Benoit" answers, but Benoit hasn't had a good match since Backlash 2003, and the product as a whole hasn't been good since that same PPV.

Trust me, if something good ever happens, you'll be able to download it. Stop wasting hours of your time.

its not like i DONT understand where people are coming from.. but i just get sick of how with wrestling fans and old fans and non-fans are bombarded with some sort of "fan-idiocy".. where current fans have to deal with old or disenchanted fans constant bonbardment of how crappy the current product is.. if i used to like coke, and they changed the formula so i thought it was crap, so i stopped drinking it.. i wouldnt KEEP DRINKING it and then tell other people drinking it each time they were that it was crap and apologize to them for them liking crap.

also the fact that the people who liek to call it crap, are a louder group than the people who do enjoy the other stuff, so it gets really skewed and alot of group-think... i am not a big cena or HHH fan, i'd say i am equally high on both to tell you teh truth.. i'd prefer HHH to be champ as I think Cena would be more entertaining with some mid-card or "weird" or odd feuds for a while..

EnvoyDenali said:
its not like i DONT understand where people are coming from.. but i just get sick of how with wrestling fans and old fans and non-fans are bombarded with some sort of "fan-idiocy".. where current fans have to deal with old or disenchanted fans constant bonbardment of how crappy the current product is.. if i used to like coke, and they changed the formula so i thought it was crap, so i stopped drinking it.. i wouldnt KEEP DRINKING it and then tell other people drinking it each time they were that it was crap and apologize to them for them liking crap.

also the fact that the people who liek to call it crap, are a louder group than the people who do enjoy the other stuff, so it gets really skewed and alot of group-think... i am not a big cena or HHH fan, i'd say i am equally high on both to tell you teh truth.. i'd prefer HHH to be champ as I think Cena would be more entertaining with some mid-card or "weird" or odd feuds for a while..

I don't remember going off telling everyone how the WWE brand is such crap now and that I can't stand it anymore. I simply stated which matches I liked and didn't like. Unfortunately, I didn't like the majority of them. I think it's even more sad how the minute people like you hear any criticism you must jump to the WWE's defense. The matches I ragged on really weren't good. Take off the goggles.

The Main Event said:
As for Cena, what pisses me off more about him other than his lack of wrestling talent, is his inability to properly interact with the crowd. He got almost the entire arena against him, he should use it at his own advantage. The Rock was a prime of example of this, even with the crowd being against him while he was face, he would just look at the crowd and give them the finger, clap and just simply play the heel and/or break kayfabe during that time only, and most of the time people would just switch back and cheer for him. That's a psychology that unfortunately, Cena doesn't have. Ignoring the "fuck you Cena" and "you can't wrestle" chants can only make it worse.

Agreed. I kinda figured this match would be a Rock/Hogan-esque in the crowd heat, and Cena just seemed completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. There was one amusing spot in the middle of the match where Cena and HHH were trading punches, and the crowd was alternating with "yay" and "boo" whenever HHH or Cena, respectively, connected with their punches. And after that sequence, Cena hit a move, and the crowd shit all over him. He stood up, and gave the crowd this exhasperated look as if to say, "come on guys. I'm TRYING here!" But they were having none of it. And he's so relatively green, that he doesn't know that he should play up being the heel in the matchup, ala Rock in Toronto. HHH (the veteran) certainly was playing to the crowd as a face, but never seemed to get that message to Cena.

EnvoyDenali said:
it held 16K people in that arena, and I'd say it was 50/50 for and against.. you couldnt tell what the crowd was for half the time as as soon as someone started a name chant "TRIPLE H!!! TRIPLE H!!!" the other group would start chanting "sucks" right after it.. i'm surprised there wasnt a wrestling civil war..

not sure the people at wrestlemania paid $100-750 to see cena lose in a storyline, and then would be worried about shelling out $35 for a PPV, but, i'll let your flawed logic slide.

as far as "owned".. i dont think anyone is complaining about attending.. wrestlemania 22 was awesome, and the crowd in attendance sure seemed to think so.. even not attending, I think if I woulda spent $50 for the PPV i would have been wow'd.. the MITB, Edge/Foley/ Vince/HBK simply stunned me, each of them..

I'm guessing you were there? It may have come off as 50/50 in the arena, but on TV, they were heavily in favor of HHH. And it wasn't "XPac" heat, or "heel" heat, it was "look at us! we're so smarky!" heat, IMO. And they crazy thing about THAT is that they were trying to be all smarky and rebellious, and they were rooting for TRIPLE FREAKING H! I mean, come on now.

Also, my post was based on the hilarious reaction of the crowd when HHH tapped out. They had spent all this energy, and then when he tapped, it was like the air went out of the balloon. It was the exact opposite reaction of the finish to WMXX, and I found it highly amusing.

oh man, yes.. i agree with the tap out.. not ONE person in the arena though HHH was going to lose.. and all the booing, all the other stuff regarding shitting on cena was like a buildup to the final celebration... HHH comes up on that crazy as throne, the crowd is knowing he is going to win the entire match.. and then he TAPS!!! the place went WILD but it was such a mixture of boos, screaming, and people that actually liked CENA, that it was just noise. WWE.com is already playing up on the fact that it was an emotional match for Cena as the crowd was against him. This could get REALLY interesting now.

It sounded 75/25 in terms of hate cena/love him.. but it really was more like 50/50 as when the cena fans actually got a chant going, it was equal, and they were overall just a quieter bunch than the more drunk Triple H fans.

i cant wait to see this on DVD as I want to see up close john cenas reactions and what not.. he had to deal with a HELL of a lot of heat, the most I've personally ever heard/seen for any wrestler based on what i gather from previous PPVs/tv-shows I've watched..

still no word on flair huh? i wonder why he came back out while still clearly somewhat injured, was he faking it? i dont think he was at the ref and the crew for a "Real injury" as opposed to the fake mcmahon injury, were out there and doing their thing.. its also a possibility he was supposed to win but RVD then made the winner as backup?? who knows.

also..

i cant WAIT for raw tomorrow.. smackdown should be fun too.

backlash is at the end of the month right? i dont see cena holding it til then or past then, but maybe.. who knows.

Congrats to BeerPong for winning the league if those are in fact the final standings. I'm Penis Suplex. I picked Masters and Carlito. I come in second. In other news, I only guessed 5 out of the 11 matches correctly. Go me.

Pros:

- Edge and Foley were great. After the Money in the Bank match ran short and not TOO much happened in it, I thought this match was going to steal the show. It did. Edge going into the tacks shirtless and the table spot were AWESOME. Edge is Raw MVP for 2006 so far.

- HBK beats the shit out of McMahon, DX chop, then puts him through the table.

- A couple of the Money in the Bank spots, and RVD winning it.

- Undertaker diving over the top rope and casket, onto Mark Henry.

- The comic bits were funny.

- Though I don't want to admit it, the teasing near the end of the Cena/Triple H match was exciting.

Cons:

- The camera work at the beginning of the show. I know WWE likes to hold close shots so the audience is surprised when someone pops into the frame (whether it be another wrestler, or a run-in), but it hurt the MiTB match presentation pretty badly. I wanted to you know, actually SEE Shelton springboard onto the ladder.

- RVD didn't do too much in the MitB match aside from his splash off the ladder.

- Nearly everything else about the Cena/Triple H match. How it ended. Being the last match on the card.

- They only gave Angle/Orton/Mysterio TEN MINUTES. This is not enough time for a WrestleMania world title match. Especially one where the title changes hands. This was SmackDown's main event, for goodness' sake! The finish came out of nowhere.

- Midget Mysterio wins World Heavyweight Title. He used to kick ass when he wrestled guys close to his size. Now in WWE he's had to throw on 25 pounds of muscle and do lame shit like the 619. I don't like it. At least the title reign will be brief.

- Benoit/JBL didn't get enough time. Oh well, his opponent was JBL afterall.

- The entirety of the Boogeyman v. Booker T and Sharmell; and Torrie v. Candice Michelle matches. There were matches that desperately needed this time.

- Near-entirety of Taker v. Henry except for the rope dive and the tombstone.

- Mickie and Trish's (it's hard to tell with that damn move) botching of the Stratusfaction and subsequent WEAK kick-to-the-head finish ruined their match.

Overall I was satisified with the show, because I only expected three matches to be any good. Money In The Bank was pretty good, even though it was much too short. Edge v. Foley more than delivered and was worth the PPV buy to me alone. I'll remember Shawn beating the crap out of Vince and his ladder jump forever. I knew the rest of the undercard would be pretty average or flat out suck.

I had zero expectations for the world title matches. I was right to.

check out www.1wrestling.com 's thoughts from readers about wrestlemania..

overall nearly each person says: Foley/edge & Vince/HBK amazing.. some loved the title matches, others thought they sucked, etc.. the taker/henry match was what it was but everyone loved the amazing jump that taker took. and nearly all of them talk about the crowd..

some good thoughts on why people enjoyed certain things though... and apter made a good point in that; even if he didnt enjoy the outcome of the match or that particular match, the overall sense of the PPV was that everyone was giving it their all and was really wanting to steal teh show, and he loved to see that energy. I am goign to watch a "b-rate" ppv like armageddon and compare it to the crowd/show tonight.. hopefully WWE comes back through chicago with another PPV in the future.

evil ways

- Mickie and Trish's (it's hard to tell with that damn move) botching of the Stratusfaction and subsequent WEAK kick-to-the-head finish ruined their match.

I've said it before, but it deserves to be said again, WWE wrestlers, especially females have to learn how to quickly react and properly improvise whenever they botch a move, especially a finisher. If they botched the Stratusfaction, then keep the match going for an extra minute and have Mickie hit her DDT finisher.

Christopher

if Trish didn't have enough energy to hold her ass up for the Stratusfaction you think she could have held her for the DDT?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
We need more Mickie James love!

24395520fc.jpg

mickiechamp1of5tl.jpg

evil ways said:
I've said it before, but it deserves to be said again, WWE wrestlers, especially females have to learn how to quickly react and properly improvise whenever they botch a move, especially a finisher. If they botched the Stratusfaction, then keep the match going for an extra minute and have Mickie hit her DDT finisher.

I thought that Trish's knee simply gave out. Mickie was working on her leg pretty much the entire match...

Revisiting my predictions....
Ok, here's the predictions of Outcast, the wrestling Nostradamus.
Vince vs HBK. HBK wins, he has to there's just no bones about it. Granted he'll sell like a champ for Vince. The fanboy says Hart will run out, the realist in me says no. Got it right
Triple Threat This will be the main event with Rey going over to end the show on a high note Got it right
Edge vs Foley This one I'm really torn on. Both of these guys need the win. Foley lack s that big WM win in his career and Edge needs it to look strong for another possible title run. I'm going to say Edge goes over, but has some scars after it's all said and done. Got it right
HHH vs Vanilla Cena HHH takes the title back. I just can't see him losing WM matches 3 years in a row. Got it wrong
Taker vs Henry Is there even a question? Taker wins, Henry fades away into oblivion...or Bolivia as Mike Tyson would say. Got it right
Money in the bank RVD wins and then uses title shot to main event ECW: ONS. But this is the logical thing to do. Know WWE, they'll go totally ass backwards and give it Hardy Got it right
Women's Title Match Mickie wins. Trish has had it for over a year now, let's see wht Mickie can do with Trish chasing Got it right
US Title Benoit retains over JBL in a math that will surprise a lot of people. They've been doing this on the house show circuit and getting rave reviews. Got it wrong
Booker vs Boggeyman Boogey wins in a short comedy match. Bathroom break for me. How is it that BOOGEYMAN (his offense consists of 2 moves...puch and pump handle slam) has a match and the immensly talent MNM arent even on the card? Got it right
Playboy Pillow fight Boring eye candy/time killer. Candice wins. Got it wrong
Big Show & Kane vs Carlito & Masters. Big Show & Kane retain. They've done too good a job building some credibility back into the belts. To drop them to these 2 who are still incredibly green isn't the greatest of ideas right now. Let them chase for a bit. Got it right

8 right 3 wrong

Ok, as for criticism. If we spend money on the tickets, PPVs or merchandise we have every rgith to voice our concerns. As fans we have every right to bitch if the product lately isn't up to par. Which it's not.
Too many things are going wrong and the focus on in-ring has been lost. At the end of the day the people show up at the arenas to see wrestling. Not to see half a show ona Titantron screen with terribly acted out scenarios. The booking overall has become horrible.

As far as I'm concerned the Cena hate is well-deserved. To me it doesn't matter how nice of a guy he is outside the confines of the ring. If he's wrestling, then dammit learn how to work a match again. His gimmick has grown stale and is only going to get worse as he ages. It's not one gimmick that has a long shelf life.
It sucks that he USED to be really good when he first came in. He had the look and the moves to work a good to great match.

BUT, Vince gets equall blame in the gross mishandeling of Cenas character. IT's getting to be about as bad the old Rocky Miavia "Die Rocky Die" level. You coan only forcefeed one guy for so long.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
t-storms mucked up most of the Hardcore Match from satellite.. will have to download it (which I am totally fine with being I paid $50 for it). Rest of the show came in over sat just fine despite flooding rains.

anywho, loved the taker/henry match (Last Ride on Henry was just impressive as was Taker flying over the top rope). Loved the Triple Threat match. It was only 10 minutes but it really kept me on the edge of my city. All three involved should give themselves a pat on the back. great job.

HBK/Vince match.. vince was worthless, but HBK did an EXCELLENT job playing up the crowd and doing his thing. The finale from the top of the 25' ladder was awesome.

Boogeyman/Booker - blah.. all that need be said

Cena/HHH - blah again, all that need be said.. disappointing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Tag Team Championship - need to download this also. stupid directv screwed up on authorizing the event so I missed the first 10 minutes or so. just saw big show/kane win right at the end.

Benoit/JBL - too short and I can't believe jbl won, even moreso than I can't believe cena won... really weak ending to a great fight. disappointed that JBL took it.

girl fights - don't really care too much, though is anyone else scouring the internet for shots of Mickey in a g-string this morning? HOT!

mitb - as most are saying, too short.. don't really know how the outcome will play out, but the match was like three minutes long it seemed.

those are my thoughts.

Christopher

that "girl fight" was one of the best matches on the card...Womens' wrestling should be a bit more respectable...althought that Mickie spot was kinna hot...and out of place at the same time god i'm so confused :mad:

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Biohazard said:
that "girl fight" was one of the best matches on the card...Womens' wrestling should be a bit more respectable...althought that Mickie spot was kinna hot...and out of place at the same time god i'm so confused :mad:
mind you when I say I don't care, it's not because it was a girl fight.. the mickey/trish fight had way too many screw ups in it (IMHO) and the pillow fight WAS just bad. the title fight could have been truly great if as others have pointed out they had recovered from the screwups better..

and mickey is hot.. a meaty body and killer attitude. the licking the spock after the cotch grab crowd call was pretty hot. but they just screwed up too much.

Matthew Gallant said:
Uhh, technically to be out of shape you had to have at one time been in shape. Even Al Snow knows that. Foley is good.

He was in shape at one point in his career. Too many people relate "in shape" with looking like a roid head like Masters.

He was built more like a shot put thrower than a body builder. Bulky, but naturally strong.

Just because you don't look like you were chiseled out of stone doesn't mean you aren't in good shape.

DMczaf said:

John Cena, the master of the "Taking a Shit" look after overcoming the odds.

He's actually just crying because of the sever ownage the crowd was handing out. Gotta love how a "wrestling-town" responds to some one who can't wrestle.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Outcast2004 said:
He's actually just crying because of the sever ownage the crowd was handing out. Gotta love how a "wrestling-town" responds to some one who can't wrestle.

*cough*BS*cough*

he looked like that because he just got pop'd in the head with a sledgehammer with no blade job

jobber said:
*cough*BS*cough*

he looked like that because he just got pop'd in the head with a sledgehammer with no blade job

You do realize that wrestling isn't real right?
Watch HHH's hands when he uses the slede. He covers to top of the hammer with his hand...like always.

Why McMahon continues to ignore the fact that the crowd is turning against his pet project is beyond me. Turn him heel already and be done with it. While you're at it, have watch a tape of his old debut matches so he can re-learn what to do.

Are you such a blind mark that you can't see how quickly this is turning ugly? We are on the verge of "Die, Rocky, DIE!" chants...althought the "FUCK YOU CENA!" chants were damn funny. I'm sure those chants will be dited out of the DVD.

joeposh

Bloodwake said:
VINCE, DO YOU NOT HEAR THE FUCKING CROWD? THEY HATE HIS ASS!

And all those haters (myself included) have bought these PPV's just to see him lose... they're milking that anticipation for as long as possible. When people stop having such a vehiment reaction to him, that's when he'll drop the strap.

Christopher

I guess we dont' need to create a RAW thread being as how this RAW is releated to the fallout of Wrestlemania and that wuold just be a bit too much WWE in GAF haha.

Well Cena has to lose it sooner of later if the RVD match is to happen...ECW ONS is coming up soon so hopefully RVD isn't a replacement champ.

God damn that spinning title looks so fucking stupid.

joeposh

Biohazard said:
I guess we dont' need to create a RAW thread being as how this RAW is releated to the fallout of Wrestlemania and that wuold just be a bit too much WWE in GAF haha.

Well Cena has to lose it sooner of later if the RVD match is to happen...ECW ONS is coming up soon so hopefully RVD isn't a replacement champ.

God damn that spinning title looks so fucking stupid.

Dude if Cena dropped the title to RVD at ONS, I'm pretty sure the arena would implode. I'd pay money just to see hardcore ECW fans respond to Cena's presence.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Outcast2004 said:
You do realize that wrestling isn't real right?
Watch HHH's hands when he uses the slede. He covers to top of the hammer with his hand...like always.

Why McMahon continues to ignore the fact that the crowd is turning against his pet project is beyond me. Turn him heel already and be done with it. While you're at it, have watch a tape of his old debut matches so he can re-learn what to do.

Are you such a blind mark that you can't see how quickly this is turning ugly? We are on the verge of "Die, Rocky, DIE!" chants...althought the "FUCK YOU CENA!" chants were damn funny. I'm sure those chants will be dited out of the DVD.

you do realize bitching about Cena's win doesn't change what happened?!

Usually when HHH hits you with the hammer, the person blades so their face doesn't look like "I'm taking a shit".

I'm so happy, Cena can drop the belt tonight and I wouldn't care. He made HHH tap in the main event of Mania in front of all the smarks in the crowd who shit on him. Everybody's pissed off comments just makes it better.

joeposh

evil ways said:
We need another angle of that pic, ASAP.

I was there live and had this same angle of Mickie... needless to say I was insanely jealous of every single person on the other side of the arena at this point.

Bloodwake

I'm going to go ahead and make a RAW thread.

Mostly because we can start talking about Backlash, and how Cena could lose the belt, rather than how bad it fucking sucks that he still has it.

Take your comments over there, if you wanna.

Ninja Scooter said:
i know what you mean, but you never know, Bishop could be having a bad day so...

peacemaker.jpg

He wouldn't hit me with the ban hamster for that.

I couined the phrase Cooter Clutch.... so I'm safe.

MC Safety

My favorite part was when Shawn Michaels was wrestling Vincent McMahon and he went to get a ladder. The guy next to me, who was remarkably both loud and funny, screamed,"OH MY GOD! HE'S PULLING OUT BRETT HART!"

He did that five times or so, each with a delicious variant on the theme of a foreign object under the ring being Brett Hart, and I laughed everytime.

And, while it's confession time, I also jumped at every loud explosion.

MC Safety said:
My favorite part was when Shawn Michaels was wrestling Vincent McMahon and he went to get a ladder. The guy next to me, who was remarkably both loud and funny, screamed,"OH MY GOD! HE'S PULLING OUT BRETT HART!"

He did that five times or so, each with a delicious variant on the theme of a foreign object under the ring being Brett Hart, and I laughed everytime.

And, while it's confession time, I also jumped at every loud explosion.

:lol :lol oh thats just mean

:lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom