• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K22’s boss says he’s looking at Smackdown and No Mercy for inspiration

Bullet Club

Fans should expect “a significant evolution”

2K’s new WWE games boss has said his development team is looking at past classics such as No Mercy and Smackdown as inspiration for their next game.

Former Double Helix studio head Patrick Gilmore was deployed as the new WWE2K lead earlier this year, as the game franchise attempts to enact a “renewed focus” on quality.

In April, 2K confirmed earlier reports that plans for WWE 2K21 had been cancelled, following a challenging 2020 game.

WWE 2K20 was a disappointing full debut for developer Visual Concepts, resulting in one of the lowest Metacritic scores in 2K’s history, mostly due to a huge number of technical issues at release.

Participating in a Reddit Q&A this weekend, 2K’s Gilmore revealed the first details of his plans for 2021’s WWE game and told fans to expect “a significant evolution in gameplay with the next instalment.”

“Core gameplay is one of the major investments we’re making in the next instalment—one of six pillars we are focused on disproportionately in development,” he wrote.

“We are looking at much-loved previous games like No Mercy or Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, along with top franchise instalments, and more modern wrestling and fighting games to build an all-new philosophical foundation for the game.”

However, the WWE games boss added that fans expecting 2K22 to wholesale adopt a control scheme or philosophy from one of their favourite games would likely to be disappointed. “We are trying to combine the best ideas out there into a brand new wrestling experience that sets a new standard,” he said.

Gilmore claimed that WWE 2K22’s gameplay would be focused on “Accessibility, Depth and Wrestling Experience.”

“For Accessibility, we’re obsessed with a simple, intuitive interface which has meaning and depth in a wide variety of contexts—i.e. the game is a lot smarter about what the player is trying to do given a gameplay situation (in a grapple, on the ropes, against a turnbuckle, etc.), with consistent inputs regardless of situation,” he explained.

“New players should be able to accidentally pull off awesome moves just by playing with and experimenting with controls.”

For Depth, Gilmore said the development team is looking at “ring position, deeper combos and ‘working’ moves, limb damage, technical capabilities, match momentum and unlocks, and rock-paper-scissors (RPS) strategies by archetype and player style.”

The exec said 2K22’s depth would not come solely from the manual skill of pressing the correct buttons, but from “the psychological game of anticipating and countering your opponent’s strategy.”

Finally, Gilmore said the WWE 2K22 team was putting effort into capturing “the essence” of professional wrestling, including the “drama, changing context, massive roster, backstage action, weapons and props, audience participation and spectacle.”

One of the huge challenges of the franchise is finding ways for players to feel in control of the vast number of potential outcomes in a given match,” he said.

“While we take lessons from fighting games, action RPG’s and other genres, this aspect helps us stay focused on delivering a through-and-through wrestling game.

“While we’re determined to deliver the spectacle and specific moments of a genuine match, I can say we’re trying to get away form UI popups or mini games to represent things like pins or reversals, and instead move those concepts into more fully-realized mechanics which feel like extensions of the main experience.”

The WWE 2K22 boss also confirmed that Create was another area of focus, and that the development team was looking at “streamlining interfaces and improving the experience for power users.”

“We’re also upgrading base models and trying to bring more personality and flow to the creation process,” he said.

WWE’s previous developer Yuke’s revealed in a VGC interview last year that it was working on a new, original wrestling IP to rival WWE 2K.

Source; VGC

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“New players should be able to accidentally pull off awesome moves just by playing with and experimenting with controls.”

That has a low but non zero chance of working out (that is in essence the Nintendo gameplay philosophy, if you look at it in abstract terms... thing is that they have a proven track record of pulling it off and not pandering to gamers), but a high chance of working like shit as it inevitably does weird things most of the time and causes chaos for the lulz / pandering to bored teens looking for 5 minutes of chaos before moving to the next title or that just want to look cool. Think SFIII 3rd Strike -> SF IV/V and a system clearly designed to allow more people to feel like Daigo’s SFIII spectacular match and make those kind of moments more common.. :/...

See the following for a longer and much better worded argument:

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Its basically like starting again. However good the next entry is, it's the one after that that has the change to set the bar really high.

On the plus side at least he identifies HCTP and No Mercy as the top tier games they are.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

Fans should expect “a significant evolution”

2K’s new WWE games boss has said his development team is looking at past classics such as No Mercy and Smackdown as inspiration for their next game.

Former Double Helix studio head Patrick Gilmore was deployed as the new WWE2K lead earlier this year, as the game franchise attempts to enact a “renewed focus” on quality.

In April, 2K confirmed earlier reports that plans for WWE 2K21 had been cancelled, following a challenging 2020 game.

WWE 2K20 was a disappointing full debut for developer Visual Concepts, resulting in one of the lowest Metacritic scores in 2K’s history, mostly due to a huge number of technical issues at release.

Participating in a Reddit Q&A this weekend, 2K’s Gilmore revealed the first details of his plans for 2021’s WWE game and told fans to expect “a significant evolution in gameplay with the next instalment.”

“Core gameplay is one of the major investments we’re making in the next instalment—one of six pillars we are focused on disproportionately in development,” he wrote.

“We are looking at much-loved previous games like No Mercy or Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, along with top franchise instalments, and more modern wrestling and fighting games to build an all-new philosophical foundation for the game.”

However, the WWE games boss added that fans expecting 2K22 to wholesale adopt a control scheme or philosophy from one of their favourite games would likely to be disappointed. “We are trying to combine the best ideas out there into a brand new wrestling experience that sets a new standard,” he said.

Gilmore claimed that WWE 2K22’s gameplay would be focused on “Accessibility, Depth and Wrestling Experience.”

“For Accessibility, we’re obsessed with a simple, intuitive interface which has meaning and depth in a wide variety of contexts—i.e. the game is a lot smarter about what the player is trying to do given a gameplay situation (in a grapple, on the ropes, against a turnbuckle, etc.), with consistent inputs regardless of situation,” he explained.

For Depth, Gilmore said the development team is looking at “ring position, deeper combos and ‘working’ moves, limb damage, technical capabilities, match momentum and unlocks, and rock-paper-scissors (RPS) strategies by archetype and player style.”

The exec said 2K22’s depth would not come solely from the manual skill of pressing the correct buttons, but from “the psychological game of anticipating and countering your opponent’s strategy.”

Finally, Gilmore said the WWE 2K22 team was putting effort into capturing “the essence” of professional wrestling, including the “drama, changing context, massive roster, backstage action, weapons and props, audience participation and spectacle.”

One of the huge challenges of the franchise is finding ways for players to feel in control of the vast number of potential outcomes in a given match,” he said.

“While we take lessons from fighting games, action RPG’s and other genres, this aspect helps us stay focused on delivering a through-and-through wrestling game.

“While we’re determined to deliver the spectacle and specific moments of a genuine match, I can say we’re trying to get away form UI popups or mini games to represent things like pins or reversals, and instead move those concepts into more fully-realized mechanics which feel like extensions of the main experience.”

The WWE 2K22 boss also confirmed that Create was another area of focus, and that the development team was looking at “streamlining interfaces and improving the experience for power users.”

“We’re also upgrading base models and trying to bring more personality and flow to the creation process,” he said.

WWE’s previous developer Yuke’s revealed in a VGC interview last year that it was working on a new, original wrestling IP to rival WWE 2K.

Source; VGC

Interesting info

SleepDoctor

Banned
Are these the same guys who just did the last game?

I like what im hearing but if it is the same team, i doubt they could even make something as simple as Prowrestling on the nes.

theclaw135

Banned
The reversal system is where I'd begin. IIRC in recent years correct timing can be unclear for some moves, and running empty on reversals is too costly.

theclaw135

Banned
The last two wrestling games I played were Smackdown and its sequel. From what I heard that also was the right time to stop.

Though 2K15 was criticized for lacking content, it was less buggy and the games appeared to be gradually improving from there.

The inside scoop on 2K20's nosedive is hazy. That I can tell, an ill advised shift toward a more cartoon-ish style (than wrestling already is) played a role.

ksdixon

CrwBX8X.jpg

BwVSPuD.jpg

VvcpLQg.jpg

wbt9uiV.jpg

hUm9uO4.jpg

GreatnessRD

This makes me want to puke.

After SVR '06, I just knew the ceiling was high. This is one of those times I wish I could go back in time and show myself how far the wrestling game has fallen. Wouldn't have believed it.

bronxct1

This makes me want to puke.

After SVR '06, I just knew the ceiling was high. This is one of those times I wish I could go back in time and show myself how far the wrestling game has fallen. Wouldn't have believed it.

I don't see what's wrong with that line. When playing the THQ games the first time as a kid that's exactly how I felt. As I was figuring out the controls I was able to discover moves, there weren't overly complex controls to pull off special moves or finishers. There was one grapple button and directions. Coming from WWF Attitude where you needed to know combos to do finishers per wrestler it was so much fun to be able to learn the controls and see what moves each wrestler had without needing to memorize like it was a fighting game.

Last edited:

Source; VGC

i really hope they don't replace mini games with some other ridiculous mechanic. i personally hated the mini games for pinning and submission and would much rather button mash.

hopefully Yuke's is working on an AEW game!

Watch, this will end up just looking like Smackdown and No Mercy, but play like shit.

Pile everything you can into the create a player mode, and if you have to hire another company to get the hair physics working. Make the gameplay simple but just complex enough to make it interesting and something you can hop into and not a chore.

hussar16

remove the horrible freestyle running s we can actually run the ropes ,add actual ring awareness, make the crowd sound be apart of the matches since crowds is more then half of what makes a match ,take here comes the pains unique wrestlers animations and intensity and add no mercy reversals

Kokoloko85

Remake no mercy, 60fps. Add New characters. New modes. new roster. Add some create character mode stuff. Online.

or just rerelease a hd version and we’ll all be happy

thanosg

Banned
they keep saying that but it's always the same game. no improvement whatsoever year after year.

when the n64 games are better than the PS4 games then you know you fucked up

Top Bottom