• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wwdc 2022

Zeroing

Banned
FUnkL-4WYAAVC4I

https://www.apple.com/macos/macos-ventura-preview/

Does anyone else feel like these support cutoffs are getting a bit stingy... Cutoffs from 2017, 2018, and 2019 Macs (ok the last one was because the last mac pro before it was so old). 5 years might be considered good for a phone, but Windows 10 will easily run on 10 year old laptops and will get support for years to come (yes 11 is different but 10 will be supported through 2025, an absurd life for some machines), I don't think I'd be happy with a 2017 Macbook Air losing support in just 5 years, or far more expensive machines in 6.

Seems obvious it's to rush along the end of Intel macs, but it could well feel like shafting, in 2017 the switch was just early rumors and most people don't keep up with this stuff, or just weren't able to wait so long.

Ironically the best way to stay supported on those systems might be switching to Windows full time on them, though I'm aware third party macOS patching tools exist to get some more years of support, but the very fact that some of those are very easy jobs (i.e patching one kext on one wifi driver) just says even more that the moving support lines are on flimsy technical barriers, and some of them seemed to have none, even if they didn't want to officially support an out of support wifi driver which is reasonable ish. We're past moving all drivers to 64 bit, Metal compatible GPUs, and it's not T2 because the 12" Macbook somehow sticks in there, it just seems to be ending models as they can get away with maybe based on a blend of popularity and other things, because there seems to be no hard technical line here.
My iMac from late 2015 lol not going to supported, my previous imac, late 2009 got tons and tons of OS updates. They are just doing this to make people upgrade and to save resources and time on OS optimization.

I really hope my mac studio has 10 years of OS updates or else I might start considering being done with Apple.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What the fuck dude

Seconded.

FUnkL-4WYAAVC4I

https://www.apple.com/macos/macos-ventura-preview/

Does anyone else feel like these support cutoffs are getting a bit stingy... Cutoffs from 2017, 2018, and 2019 Macs (ok the last one was because the last mac pro before it was so old). 5 years might be considered good for a phone, but Windows 10 will easily run on 10 year old laptops and will get support for years to come (yes 11 is different but 10 will be supported through 2025, an absurd life for some machines), I don't think I'd be happy with a 2017 Macbook Air losing support in just 5 years, or far more expensive machines in 6.

Seems obvious it's to rush along the end of Intel macs, but it could well feel like shafting, in 2017 the switch was just early rumors and most people don't keep up with this stuff, or just weren't able to wait so long.

Ironically the best way to stay supported on those systems might be switching to Windows full time on them, though I'm aware third party macOS patching tools exist to get some more years of support, but the very fact that some of those are very easy jobs (i.e patching one kext on one wifi driver) just says even more that the moving support lines are on flimsy technical barriers, and some of them seemed to have none, even if they didn't want to officially support an out of support wifi driver which is reasonable ish. We're past moving all drivers to 64 bit, Metal compatible GPUs, and it's not T2 because the 12" Macbook somehow sticks in there, it just seems to be ending models as they can get away with maybe based on a blend of popularity and other things, because there seems to be no hard technical line here.

They’re in a hurry to get rid of Intel macs, I assume once that’s done Mx will have a long shelf life.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Duck foie gras poutine is amazing. Martin the chef from Le Pied De Cochon has its kit recipe. (he was on Bourdain's show a few times).

Windows 11 runs pretty good in paralles on my mbp m1 pro machine. Good enough for some moderate PC gaming. I hope Microsoft and Apple let us direct boot into Windows 11 on Apple Silicon eventually.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Woohoo!
Got my Midnight Blue MacBook Air today!
The fingerprint problem isn't as bad as at the apple store with everyone sticking their fat, greasy fingers all over the display models!

belmarduk

Watch unlocking is the best. I rarely use my sensor to unlock because of the watch. I had no clue there were issues with it.

The issue isn't with the fingerprint reader. The Midnight Blue color shows fingerprints all over the computer... it looks especially bad at the Apple Store where everyone touches it all over but I don't see it being a problem unless you use it after eating fried chicken or something. I'll just keep my hands clean and use a microfiber cloth so no issue for me.

Top Bottom