• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wwdc 2022

chromhound

Smelling her ass ?
NL6BDM3.png

Urban

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
What it needs is Mac OS with touch. This should be available for years. The split between Mac OS and iPad OS makes no sense.
No I think the end goal is one OS for all. So they'll push to get all apps ported to iOS and they'll use that on desktop, macbook, ipad and iphone.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No I think the end goal is one OS for all. So they'll push to get all apps ported to iOS and they'll use that on desktop, macbook, ipad and iphone.

Yes, that's the goal. But they should start with Mac OS as a base as it has the most features. iPad always felt like a sub-par experience compared to Mac. They are still playing catch-up in 2022.

CobraAB

The M2 MacBook Air looks nice.

Apple mailed it in with the M2 13” MacBook Pro. Same old design.

M2 looks good but not earth shattering.

Their new Metal 3 API looks good, especially the upscaling stuff imitar to what nVidia and AMD are doing.

Rather snooze inducing as a whole though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So funny story since they keeping the m1 air, the m2 air starts at 1500€ , while the old one starts at 1200€.

New air comes with a 300€ surcharge, which amounts to a 300€ price increase (20% increase). Wow.

jimmypython

The 13 inch seems out of place: it is certainly not a "Pro" line product, with an old design and non-pro chip, and not a thin and light "Air" line product. However it does make sense for those who need a little bit more performance than the Air but do not want to spend extra on unnecessary horsepower. They should just call it the "MacBook"

Last edited:
Not happy about the new Air price hike, at all.

I've been waiting for this new model to jump into my first Mac, and as soon as I saw the price I promptly put away my wallet. The M1 Air at $1,000 was an incredible value at release. The M2 Air at $1,200...or $1,500 if you want those GPU cores, pushes it back into a premium category again.

Really bummed out.

Weather app in iPad? It's been 84 years....

I'm a little annoyed that iPad multitasking features require M1 chip. My iPad Air (3rd gen) isn't THAT old, come on Tim Apple, throw me a fucking bone here.

Also why are iPads excluded from the feature where you can use the camera on the device as the MacBook's camera? That literally makes no sense why only iPhones can do that.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Not happy about the new Air price hike, at all.

I've been waiting for this new model to jump into my first Mac, and as soon as I saw the price I promptly put away my wallet. The M1 Air at $1,000 was an incredible value at release. The M2 Air at $1,200...or $1,500 if you want those GPU cores, pushes it back into a premium category again.

Really bummed out.

It also comes with 8 gigs

Last edited:
I wish the BeOS was still around and viable and could be installed as an alternative OS on pcs and macs (which is what they intended) with a %25-30 share of the operating systems market.
The Screen Savers got me to install BeOS on a second partition, and don't get me wrong it was cool as shit, but I struggled to find something to DO with it.

Needless to say it didn't last very long lol

LordOfChaos

FUnkL-4WYAAVC4I

https://www.apple.com/macos/macos-ventura-preview/

Does anyone else feel like these support cutoffs are getting a bit stingy... Cutoffs from 2017, 2018, and 2019 Macs (ok the last one was because the last mac pro before it was so old). 5 years might be considered good for a phone, but Windows 10 will easily run on 10 year old laptops and will get support for years to come (yes 11 is different but 10 will be supported through 2025, an absurd life for some machines), I don't think I'd be happy with a 2017 Macbook Air losing support in just 5 years, or far more expensive machines in 6.

Seems obvious it's to rush along the end of Intel macs, but it could well feel like shafting, in 2017 the switch was just early rumors and most people don't keep up with this stuff, or just weren't able to wait so long.

Ironically the best way to stay supported on those systems might be switching to Windows full time on them, though I'm aware third party macOS patching tools exist to get some more years of support, but the very fact that some of those are very easy jobs (i.e patching one kext on one wifi driver) just says even more that the moving support lines are on flimsy technical barriers, and some of them seemed to have none, even if they didn't want to officially support an out of support wifi driver which is reasonable ish. We're past moving all drivers to 64 bit, Metal compatible GPUs, and it's not T2 because the 12" Macbook somehow sticks in there, it just seems to be ending models as they can get away with maybe based on a blend of popularity and other things, because there seems to be no hard technical line here.

Karmic Raze

The Stage Manager seems pretty cool. Anything that will make my experience on my iPad Pro more streamlined is a good thing in my book!

Aurelius

I was shopping for a new MacBook Pro. But it seems that the new MacBook Pro "13 is only a CPU upgrade? It still has the same keyboard and lightbar? They also seemed to have removed the cheapest MacBook Pro 14" (with 256GB storage). The entry one is now the 512GB version. MacBook Air M2 is looking more appealing though.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Every Apple product is fascinating until I see the prices.

Just, for some REASON, I was expecting M2 way more powerful than M1, maybe more cores in both CPU and GPU, not just up to 15%.

Top Bottom