• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

I just bought one last week because the macrumors buyers guide said it was midcycle :( seems they updated the buyers guide 2 days after I purchased. I'm sad.

You have 14 days to return it/exchange it for the newer model(If they announce that its available starting today in store) If you bought it from Apple.

Im hoping they expand Siri and give me the Siri Echo knockoff That I want. Ive been saving up cash on the side just in case too lol.

rezuth

I thought they were going to do WWDC at Apple Park this year. Did that change or was I just dreaming

I doubt they'll ever do WWDC at Apple Park. Lots of keynotes but WWDC is all about developers attending presentations on new APIs and stuff, hands on time with Apple people for a week.

TimFL

So little has leaked on the software side....kind of nice.

Or it's a sign of no new mind boggling features for iOS.

What I've heard over the last few weeks in terms of iOS11 rumors:
- Redesign focusing on bigger fonts & possible UI elements similar to the iOS 10 Maps app
- Dark mode (could be exclusive to the OLED iPhones and thus kept for the september event)
- FaceTime group calling and possibly FaceTime audio as the preferred/default for iOS to iOS calls
- I've heard rumors about a "social networking app" by Apple
- Apple Music redesign/tweak to incorporate future shows like Carpool Karaoke
- Updates to Siri due to the new Siri Speaker (makes sense)
-> Rumored AI chip could see the light of day with the OLED phones in september (or in 2018)
- Possibly sending money to friends via iMessage & Apple Pay
- A few iPad features like extended Apple Pencil support (there were rumors this'd see the light of day in iOS 10 back in the days but sadly didn't make the cut)

I'd love for them to speed up the Apple News/Pay adoption (I have the widget for News here in germany but not the app...)... or multi-user-support for iPads (that'd get me to actually buy one again).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope the new music app is better for music too. Pretty sad to see how space inefficient and flashy it's become post-iOS8.

jstripes

Banned
Th6RpsN.gif

The guy in the top left looks like he's having a breakdown.

Must be one of the people in the comments at MacRumors.

I'm not sure which thread I prefer but looking forward to seeing the revamped MacBook Air and the 12" MacBook. I wonder if they just merge the 12" MacBook with the Air?

This makes sense, since we're always due for a few sent-to-die apps of the kind.
A simple Music social networking section like last.fm where you can make playlists collaborative and share your top played artists, albums, and songs should be a no brainer. It's crazy they haven't made plays of each song in your library readily available.

jstripes

Banned
I'm not sure which thread I prefer but looking forward to seeing the revamped MacBook Air and the 12" MacBook. I wonder if they just merge the 12" MacBook with the Air?

The Air is done. At best it'll get a minor spec bump, but for now it's just occupying the sub-$1000 spot in the Mac lineup until something else falls into that spot.

A simple Music social networking section like last.fm where you can make playlists collaborative and share your top played artists, albums, and songs should be a no brainer. It's crazy they haven't made plays of each song in your library readily available.

They did that. Remember Ping? It was a grand failure.

SourBear

Banned
Amazon Prime, Netflix, Plex, Emby.

I guess there is no reason to have an htpc w/ XBMC now.
The AppleTV does everything I need it to and in a much smaller form factor.

tvOS wishlist:

- PiP (rumored)
- easy change of accounts (rumored)
- some sort of control centre for AirPods/Homekit
- Let devs add their Apps into TV app (Plex, Channels)

Zaph

gj on the OT, didn't realise the keynote was tomorrow

Interested in the MBP refresh. If it's a good bump, I might upgrade. The new Surface with LTE is tempting, but I'm really not sure about switching from OSX for laptop use. I've been Windows desktop and Mac laptop for well over a decade now.

tvOS wishlist:

- PiP (rumored)
- easy change of accounts (rumored)
- some sort of control centre for AirPods/Homekit
- Let devs add their Apps into TV app (Plex, Channels)

Ooh. That would be nice. In addition to Amazon Prime being added to the TV app I want Netflix to show up someday. I know they won't but it would be nice. I actually use the TV app a lot and get a lot of utility out of it, shame it seems to have not caught on at all

Must be one of the people in the comments at MacRumors.

I almost grabbed a ticket to the MacRumors WWDC Meetup before thinking "Eh..... I don't need that in my life"

Just merge the two threads. Fragmentation is gonna be confusing. Or lock one. Doesn't matter. Merge the OT info and lock one of the threads before it starts and we're fine.

Merging would be good, I think both OPs have stuff to contribute

jstripes

Banned
I almost grabbed a ticket to the MacRumors WWDC Meetup before thinking "Eh..... I don't need that in my life"

I've been going to MacRumours since the early '00s, and in the last few years it's turned into a toxic alt-right shit hole where all they do is whine about emoji and Tim Cook.

ekim

I just bought one last week because the macrumors buyers guide said it was midcycle :( seems they updated the buyers guide 2 days after I purchased. I'm sad.

Me too but I knew about the rumors and I needed a new laptop now. There always something new comin so I'm not too sad about it, if there is a refresh coming. I merely expect Kaby Lake and not much more.

Guess Who

Banned
If there is a new MBP, I wouldn't expect the upgrade to be all that notable. About the only really major change they could do is switching to Nvidia GPUs, but there haven't been rumors of such a change.

jstripes

Banned
If there is a new MBP, I wouldn't expect the upgrade to be all that notable. About the only really major change they could do is switching to Nvidia GPUs, but there haven't been rumors of such a change.

Kaby Lake. Native H.625 support. Better batteries. Maybe more RAM on the 15".

jts

...hate me...
Will watch the 1st hour and a half on the comfy couch but probably will have to watch the last 30 minutes on the go. God damn it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
For the MBP update expect Kaby Lake and possibly a battery capacity increase for the 15" (that should have been in the first release but wasn't meeting their testing standards). All 32GB rumors shouldn't be given much credibility, it will be 2018 at the earliest for that. Apple can't do much on this front until Intel is ready.

You'd think a 4K apple TV would be a no brainer
Seriously. Been waiting forever for this, blows my mind Apple has held out this long.

jts

...hate me...
I've been going to MacRumours since the early '00s, and in the last few years it's turned into a toxic alt-right shit hole where all they do is whine about emoji and Tim Cook.
Every time Apple posts quarterly results or other positive news pop I try to get in a post giving extra high praise to Cook, mostly to rile them up. Man some of them take that shit personally lol.

For the MBP update expect Kaby Lake and possibly a battery capacity increase for the 15" (that should have been in the first release but wasn't meeting their testing standards). All 32GB rumors shouldn't be given much credibility, it will be 2018 at the earliest for that. Apple can't do much on this front until Intel is ready.

Seriously. Been waiting forever for this, blows my mind Apple has held out this long.

I think they're waiting to sell 4K movies in iTunes

giga

Damn the swag this year is dope: https://twitter.com/jessiechar/status/871448439489310720

Flag pin is based on where you live.

Hey, sorry about not seeing that you posted a wwdc topic first giga. Thanks for merging them and including my op in the current op.
I will cut you.

Jk it happens.

Will watch the 1st hour and a half on the comfy couch but probably will have to watch the last 30 minutes on the go. God damn it.

Wow, and the last 30 minutes is when they unveil the new siri smart home too.

jstripes

Banned
Every time Apple posts quarterly results or other positive news pop I try to get in a post giving extra high praise to Cook, mostly to rile them up. Man some of them take that shit personally lol.
Apple Music articles involving Drake, or any other non-white artist, drive them insane too.

Kaby Lake is a minor update. H.265 acceleration is nice but non-essential. I would strongly bet against any notable changes to either batteries or RAM limits.
Rumour has it form-fitting batteries, like in the MacBook, were in development to go into the new MBP, but they weren't ready on time.

jts

...hate me...
Wow, and the last 30 minutes is when they unveil the new siri smart home too.

negativeman.png

Assuming it'll be a sub $100 device, should be a fairly insta-purchase tbh, pending region-availability.

I'm also hoping for loads of Siri advancements to go along with it.

Fair to assume as well that it can take place as the Homekit hub (duh). Wonder if, going forward, they'll drop that functionality from Apple TV to push that device. Probably not.

Apple Music articles involving Drake, or any other non-white artist, drive them insane too.

Rumour has it form-fitting batteries, like in the MacBook, were in development to go into the new MBP, but they weren't ready on time.
I remember when Chance revealed that he was paid 500k by Apple for letting them have exclusive rights to his album for two weeks and the comment section was hilarious.

gwiz210

I've never watched/attended but I'm working in the convention center all week. Any tips/advice from some seasoned veterans?

negativeman.png

Assuming it'll be a sub $100 device, should be a fairly insta-purchase tbh, pending region-availability.

I'm also hoping for loads of Siri advancements to go along with it.

Fair to assume as well that it can take place as the Homekit hub (duh). Wonder if, going forward, they'll drop that functionality from Apple TV to push that device. Probably not.

That price ain't gonna happen

Top Bottom