• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTX: Sony has only added one PS1 game to PS Plus Premium in six months

https://wtxnews.com/sony-has-only-added-one-ps1-game-to-ps-plus-premium-in-six-months/
However, the feature shares some global statistics as well, including the most popular PlayStation Plus games and the fact that the service’s top PlayStation 1 game is Toy Story 2.

Its proper title is Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue, but it’s very much an adaptation of the 1999 Pixar movie, putting the titular Buzz in a 3D platformer.

Sony hasn’t shared exact figures for how many people have downloaded/played it through PS Plus, but it’s one of only two PS1 games sitting within the top five most popular games from the service’s classics catalogue. The second is Tekken 2, which is at number five.

It’s a tad surprising to see a movie tie-in be among the most popular retro titles of the year, but this can be chalked up to a couple of reasons.

The first is simply that a lot of people have nostalgia for the game. It’s not a bad tie-in, for the time, but if you grew up with it this is a rare chance to go back.

When it comes to retro PS1 and PS2 games, Sony’s offerings have been rather dire (pic: Sony)

The other, more obvious reason is that it’s because the PS1 line-up of games on PS Plus Premium is so bizarrely awful. While there are a few fan favourite titles (Ape Escape, Wild Arms, Oddworld: Abe’s Odysee) the full list is only 14 games long.

It’s been six months since Sony launched the revamped PS Plus service and in that time, only one other PS1 game – Syphon Filter 2 – has been added. There’s no list of titles that have been promised for it either.

The service is completely missing almost every famous game that made the PS1 such an iconic console and Sony seems to have no interest in addressing the issue.

Didn't realize it was this bad, only 14 PS1 games and Toy Story the top PSstore game of 2022 is the only game along with SF2 to have been added in the last 6 months?

I don't know what's going on with Sony/Jim's distain for older stuff but surely they can add more PS1 and other classic Sonic consoles titles to make PS Premium worth the premium? At a high-tier price there should be a lot more games available across PS history imo.

ZehDon

Gold Member
*one badly emulated PS1 game.

PS5's emulation is laughably inept. My PSVita has better PS1 emulation - but of course, I had to jail break to even get that!

Hestar69

This month as a whole is meh IMO...This is why I want the activision deal to go through.. Xbox beefs it game pass lineup & MAYBE it'll get sony to start actually trying.

Sadly I bought a full year of ps premium on black Friday and I really shouldn't have.

Aenima

This month as a whole is meh IMO...This is why I want the activision deal to go through.. Xbox beefs it game pass lineup & MAYBE it'll get sony to start actually trying.

Sadly I bought a full year of ps premium on black Friday and I really shouldn't have.
Only decent reason to sub to premium is to have the ability to stream games. If you subbed for the classics games cathalog, congrats, you played yourself.

Last edited:

Grechy34

I don't know guys. I love well made officially released products but Sony's treatment of the PS Classic and now this is why emulation is so important. The emulation apparently is garbage as well. You can download a 10 year old PS1 emulator which does a better job on PC.

Reactions: Isa
Only decent reason to sub to premium is to have the ability to stream games. If you subbed for the classics games cathalog, congrats, you played yourself.
PS Now was actually a good service. This new premium combination somehow made it worse. Strange

nial

Gold Member
Oh first I heard of that. That sucks.
Yep, the 3DS and Wii U digital stores will be closing next year, which means those games will no longer be available to buy as they are locked to a subscription service on Switch.

Aenima

PS Now was actually a good service. This new premium combination somehow made it worse. Strange
Works better for me since i dont care about streaming or classics, i can sub for PS+ Extra for cheaper than it was PS Now and they increased the quality of the games ofering by alot for the Extra tier (PS4/PS5 games)

Its only worse for ppl that just wanted the games cathalog without the base PS+ sub to play online, since now you need to have that.

Last edited:
The new tiers just launched in July, people need to relax and give it time.

There are licensing and tech issues that is most likely preventing them from launching more retro games at the moment.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

The Premium tier is a straight up scam. No other way to describe it.

They're just seeing how long they can keep getting away with it.

It really is pathetic. I feel like an idiot for going with Premium when it launched.

Occasionally they add a few streaming PS3 games and call it a day.

jaysius

Banned
Seriously the Nintendo one kicks it's ass and people made fun of that one.

NO, that's not how logic works, that's how shitty logic works. Nintendo's Online service is still shit that we're overpaying for, we don't get a single dedicated server on Switch, whereas some PS4/PS5 game have dedicated servers. When you're doing P2P your machines are doing all the work.

Also no voice comm or even BASIC MESSAGING on Switch, more of rip off on Switch.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Yup I did..I figured they'd add more classic onld ps12 rpgs but so far only wild arms 1 (not even 2 is on it)...I did try and stream the old GOW games and they ran prety good atleast... FEAR 1 had bad input lag sadly.

Crayon

NO, that's not how logic works, that's how shitty logic works. Nintendo's Online service is still shit that we're overpaying for, we don't get a single dedicated server on Switch, whereas some PS4/PS5 game have dedicated servers. When you're doing P2P your machines are doing all the work.

Also no voice comm or even BASIC MESSAGING on Switch, more of rip off on Switch.

Yeah I guess when you look at it that way. I'm only thinking about the library on there and the set of snes games on switch has got pretty good.

Last edited:
Yep. This service is just convoluted with no real value. No surprise they lost 2 million subscribers. Despite making more money; this could be a huge 🚩 for Sony to wake the fuck up and improve fast and furious.

Bragr

Banned

Well, thats why its cheaper, one year of Switch is like 2 months of premium. The retro collection is great on the Switch, and they released some new paid DLC and developed games like Tetris, Mario and Pac-Man for the service.

Yes the online service is terrible, but there is good content, the PS Premium is just a void.

ksdixon

That's disingenuous. There's games that were in PS Now streaming just fine which haven't survived the migration into PS+ streaming tier. Example being MK9 on PS3. At least I think I am correct, despite not having PS+ atm, I don't see an equivalent game catalogue icon or a resub to PS+ prompt, just a vestigial page stub.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait till you see that they have only published 1 next Gen only game in the last 18 months….

-Zelda-

Banned
It's ironic that the extra is such a good deal for $40 more and the premium is such a ripoff at $20 on top of that. Seriously the Nintendo one kicks it's ass and people made fun of that one.
The only problem I have with the Nintendo version is that none of those games are also avaible to be bought and downloaded to the system to be played when offline. I miss the Wii and Wii U way of doing it.

Premium is a tacked on cash grab. 3 tiers isn't necessary. 2 is enough. One for basic online play and the other should include everything else.

Crayon

The only problem I have with the Nintendo version is that none of those games are also avaible to be bought and downloaded to the system to be played when offline. I miss the Wii and Wii U way of doing it.

That wii store was so great. Besides the way they trickled stuff out.

tommib

Sony should just get rid of Premium and keep Extra as that is fantastic.
Maybe that’s their plan at this point with how bad Premium is. It’s not the first time that companies present a low-quality service with low subscription numbers to then kill it.

Last edited:
I've finished 17 games of the Premium tier (and started a few more). So it was absolutely worth the extra dollars for me.
I don't care much about old PS1 garbage, played just one PS2/PS4 emulated trophy remaster classic so far, so having more emphasis on PS3 streams and proper PS4 remasters is right what I want off a classic tier.

People expecting something Premium never offered or promised better not subscribe to it. PS Now might have been better for classic classics, and sure, they could definitely add more old classics, but no one was forced to have Premium on a imagined promise that it will be loaded with tons of PS1 games. If it's not for you, only get Extra, Essential, nothing, cause Sony sucks, or whatever, but Sony never advertised it as the ultimate retro tier with the entire PS1+PSP catalogue some people feel entitled to and cry some nonsense about scam, which it clearly isn't, if you are not blind from some weird outrage misuse of the word.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The streaming is bottom of the barrel quality, the games play and looks absolutely terrible, do people really use this shit service on their 4k screens?

Last edited:

Three

It's ironic that the extra is such a good deal for $40 more and the premium is such a ripoff at $20 on top of that. Seriously the Nintendo one kicks it's ass and people made fun of that one.
In terms of classics you're absolutely right but with premium you get a lot of PS3 games and PS4 streaming too.

You would think PS1 games would be the easiest to add. There's probably a lot of legal/licencing issues from probably now defunct/dead companies/people for PS1 games, who knows.

Three

The streaming is bottom of the barrel quality, the games play and looks absolutely terrible, do people really use this shit service on their 4k screens?
I only do it to check if the game is worth the download and I stream while it's downloading in the background if it is.

GymWolf

I only do it to check if the game is worth the download and I stream while it's downloading in the background if it is.
Are we both talking about the streaming ps1 classics?

Because i tried a couple of them and framerate\video quality was fucking abysmal, the games are worthy, how they play\look is not.

Last edited:

Three

Are we both talking about the streaming ps1 classics?

Because i tried a couple of them and framerate\video quality was fucking abysmal, the games are worthy, how they play\look is not.
I was referring to PS4 games. Though I'm not sure why the PS1 streaming quality would be worse. If PS1 games are streaming only though that truly sucks.

Top Bottom