• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF Darksiders 3? Difficult As Hell!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Okay, so I will admit I had an injury to my right hand but that's pretty much healed up at this point.

I'm playing Darksiders 3 on the Switch lite. You fight the first boss within the first 5 minutes of the game or less.

It's a raven type boss and I cannot beat him. I've tried at least a dozen times without exaggeration. He has an attack he does every couple minutes that takes down half your health. This is on the easiest setting of the game.

You have to do a lot of jumping and swinging and it has to be very precise and half the time I miss. So I can't even jump and swing most of the time to get to him when he gets to the top. But I barely have a chance since this mother fucker does half damage every 2 minutes so you're pretty much screwed if you're down to less than half your health.

Who thought this was a good idea for a first boss that appears within the first few minutes of the game? I know I'm not that bad at video games nowadays due to my age and my hand has healed for the most part so I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

The game is really not all that difficult, but I remember being really frustrated with the intro as well. Pretty sure I played on normal and watched a you tube video to learn how to fight him. I'd say keep at it, because there's a nice game after that boss. I really appreciated the developers making a souls game that allowed multiple deaths to get back to your souls.

Darkmakaimura

The game is really not all that difficult, but I remember being really frustrated with the intro as well. Pretty sure I played on normal and watched a you tube video to learn how to fight him. I'd say keep at it, because there's a nice game after that boss. I really appreciated the developers making a souls game that allowed multiple deaths to get back to your souls.
I'm a huge fan of the Darksiders series so I'm not going to get rid of it but I'm probably just going to shelve it.

It is extremely frustrating at this point and I got a check out some YouTube videos to see what to do like you said but this is just ridiculous.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not that bad, just gotta get its systems then you'll cruise through it with a couple of difficulty bumps along the way where you'll probably stop until you get what needs to be done. Great game though, underrated, Konami should hire these guys for a new CV instead of their crap.

I'm a huge fan of the Darksiders series so I'm not going to get rid of it but I'm probably just going to shelve it.

It is extremely frustrating at this point and I got a check out some YouTube videos to see what to do like you said but this is just ridiculous.
I'd try it at least another 30 minutes or so before shelving it. It's just one of those games that is kind of difficult at first, but gets easier as you gain power and abilities.

Bragr

Banned
I played through Darksiders 3 this year too, and I know the boss you are thinking of, doesn't he have 1 or 2 attacks he spam? it's all about the timing of the dodge, if you struggle to time the attacks, try to fight him without attacking, just look at him, and learn his moves.

The only thing I remember being annoying with him is that you have to climb up and jump attack him, and it's a missable jump.

I highly recommend you stick with the game, it surprised me, it's absolutely a worthy entry into the Darksiders franchise.

SolidQ

I love Darksiders games and finished this game on max difficult. 1st boss wasn't hard for me. You just need use dodge in time, but seems on switch with 20-30 fps it's sometimes hard to do 😀

Drizzlehell

Banned
Switch to classic combat style. The one that the game sets as default sucks ass because you can't cancel out attack animations with block or dodge moves and you basically leave yourself wide open to an attack if you play this as a button masher. Which is frustrating as all hell because Darksiders games always were button mashers and this one was clearly designed to be one as well but it feels like they thought it would be a good idea to make a last minute change to make it into more of a shitty Dark Souls clone.

I remember the game shipping without an option to pick the combat style and you were stuck with this asinine combat system that sucked so hard that you would frequently have your ass handed to you by basic trash mob enemies. But then they realized less than a month after the release that they fucked up so they patched in the option to select a combat style that was more in line with previous games in the series.

Darkmakaimura

It's not that bad, just gotta get its systems then you'll cruise through it with a couple of difficulty bumps along the way where you'll probably stop until you get what needs to be done. Great game though, underrated, Konami should hire these guys for a new CV instead of their crap.
I could not agree more when you say it's underrated. It's one of my favorite series and I still love Darksiders 3 so far despite the difficulty I'm having. In my opinion it's the closest thing we have to a Legacy of Kain.

I'd try it at least another 30 minutes or so before shelving it. It's just one of those games that is kind of difficult at first, but gets easier as you gain power and abilities.
Oh believe me I tried about an hour for the first time. My hand wasn't in very good shape at the time though but now I'm healed up mostly and I'm still having the same issues.

I played through Darksiders 3 this year too, and I know the boss you are thinking of, doesn't he have 1 or 2 attacks he spam? it's all about the timing of the dodge, if you struggle to time the attacks, try to fight him without attacking, just look at him, and learn his moves.

The only thing I remember being annoying with him is that you have to climb up and jump attack him, and it's a missable jump.

I highly recommend you stick with the game, it surprised me, it's absolutely a worthy entry into the Darksiders franchise.
The jumping is probably the most annoying thing along with the swinging. I just keep missing and that adds to all the difficulty.

I love Darksiders games and finished this game on max difficult. 1st boss wasn't hard for me. You just need use dodge in time, but seems on switch with 20-30 fps it's sometimes hard to do 😀
Yeah I'm probably not going to shelve it. But I'm really frustrated at this point. It's probably going to take me awhile and then I get lucky and finally kill Envy and can move on.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

I love D3 way more than it deserves, lol. Like @drizzelhell says try the alternate control scheme. The PC version isn't well optimized so the Switch port probably lags which isn't doing your timing any favors.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't think that boss is particularly difficult, but I can see some getting stuck in there, I finished the game this year on hard and I loved it, apart from some specific moments it frustrated me but I don't remember why (and basically that's me with almost any game at some point, even fucking Lucky's Tale lol)... You can't just go and play it like a hack and slash, it has its rules, it's very much founded on Souls combat style but it's not a "Soul" game at all (well... Souls-lite maybe?).

As some said already, try using the alternative combat style, maybe it suits you better... I mean, I loved the game but I hate it when a franchise carries some expectative and suddenly betrays them in an entry, like some may think of this game combat style (in my case, it happened with Fire Emblem TH)

Last edited:
I loved this game. Way better than the other darksiders imo and i'm not even a souls fan.

The combat at first is a little tricky. Try to get the dodge timing right, if you can do that the game becomes half as difficult. Kind of like Bayonetta games.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Switch to classic combat style. The one that the game sets as default sucks ass because you can't cancel out attack animations with block or dodge moves and you basically leave yourself wide open to an attack if you play this as a button masher. Which is frustrating as all hell because Darksiders games always were button mashers and this one was clearly designed to be one as well but it feels like they thought it would be a good idea to make a last minute change to make it into more of a shitty Dark Souls clone.

I remember the game shipping without an option to pick the combat style and you were stuck with this asinine combat system that sucked so hard that you would frequently have your ass handed to you by basic trash mob enemies. But then they realized less than a month after the release that they fucked up so they patched in the option to select a combat style that was more in line with previous games in the series.
Umm, I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and when the game first came out. You can dodge out of anything and yes it is much like a souls game on the initial combat setting and not legacy. legacy made the game too easy.

Darkmakaimura

I finally beat the little bastard. It took me a few tries but I did it.

I could blame my hand which was injured for a month or it's just my video game skills are sucking. Actually I think what really did it for me was the jumping and swinging. You have to be real precise when you jump and then swing with your whip.

Also, where the fuck is the map? Oh that's right there isn't a map because this is old school fun. Getting lost in shit and not knowing how to get back. They don't hold your hand much in this one and that's nice.

This is like the best of Zelda and the best of Legacy of Kain all wrapped up into one. It's such a shame it doesn't get more attention.

If this series got as much love as say, something like Call of duty, we might be on the 7th or 8th of Darksiders by now and I'd be okay with milking this. I sure hope Bloodstained gets milk too.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You can switch over to a classic combat style as well. I did that early on in my play through, as the new style just wasn’t for me.
I was expecting this thread to be about the cheap shots from standard enemies that just spawn without you knowing, and hitting you from behind.

Darkmakaimura

You can switch over to a classic combat style as well. I did that early on in my play through, as the new style just wasn’t for me.
I was expecting this thread to be about the cheap shots from standard enemies that just spawn without you knowing, and hitting you from behind.
I was going to ask. Which fighting style should I use? Default or classic?

ungalo

Any game played on Switch Lite or with joycons become more difficult lol.

The game is not easy though, but not very hard either in my memories.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Glad you overcame that challenge, I ended up really enjoying the game and hope for a fourth game. I wish they added a map though and I missed having a horse, but the latter didn't hurt the experience as much as I thought it would.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Umm, I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and when the game first came out. You can dodge out of anything and yes it is much like a souls game on the initial combat setting and not legacy. legacy made the game too easy.
the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Paasei

Always wantd to give Darksiders 3 a try, especially after the first 2 games that I absolutely enjoyed. I'm just not very interested in yet another Souls-gameplay mechanic game. The market is too bloated with it atm, and I can't be arsed anymore. I'll only play Fromsoft games from now on with that type of gameplay.

Top Bottom