• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: EPA Move to Rescind Obama Administration’s Clean Water Rule

Don't know if there's any North Carolinians in here, but in Wilmington it's been discovered that we've been drinking chemicals linked to cancer that have been dumped in our drinking water for years. Everyone here is worried and angry and we don't know how to fix this or how bad the effects will be.

Glad to know the current EPA couldn't give a shit.

Damaniel

Banned
Between this and Trumpcare, the GOP will kill far more Americans than ISIS ever will. Can we start calling the Republicans a terrorist group yet?

cameron

Can they do this without legal challenge?

The Clean Water Act is already in review. Everyone involved needs to argue their case. NYT: E.P.A. Moves to Rescind Contested Water Pollution Regulation
On Tuesday, Mr. Pruitt released a 42-page proposal to rescind the rule. Publication of the plan is the first step in a lengthy legal process that the Trump administration must undertake to eventually enact a new regulation, one that is expected to have far fewer restrictions and pollution protections. The administration will also have to detail its legal reasoning for scaling back the rule, a case environmental groups are sure to challenge.

The proposed rollback of the Obama water protection rule will have little immediate practical effect: A federal court had already delayed implementation of the regulation until legal questions are resolved.

Supporters and opponents of Mr. Trump’s agenda to aggressively roll back federal regulations both saw the move as a significant step toward reversing President Barack Obama’s environmental actions.

Last year, Obama also vetoed an attempt by Congressional Republicans to overturn the rule. Veto Message from the President -- S.J. 22
To the Senate of the United States:

I am returning herewith without my approval S.J. Res. 22, a resolution that would nullify a rule issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Army to clarify the jurisdictional boundaries of the Clean Water Act. The rule, which is a product of extensive public involvement and years of work, is critical to our efforts to protect the Nation's waters and keep them clean; is responsive to calls for rulemaking from the Congress, industry, and community stakeholders; and is consistent with decisions of the United States Supreme Court.

We must protect the waters that are vital for the health of our communities and the success of our businesses, agriculture,and energy development. As I have noted before, too many of our waters have been left vulnerable. Pollution from upstream sources ends up in the rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and coastal waters near which most Americans live and on which they depend for their drinking water, recreation, and economic development. Clarifying the scope of the Clean Water Act helps to protect these resources and safeguard public health. Because this resolution seeks to block the progress represented by this rule and deny businesses and communities the regulatory certainty and clarity needed to invest in projects that rely on clean water, I cannot support it. I am therefore vetoing this resolution.

Barack Obama
The White House
January 19, 2016​

The GOP wants a first world economy with a third world psychology. Labeling them a terrorist organization is a bit extreme but an organized crime syndicate is more than fitting.

Its completely obvious now that the aim is to rescind anything and everything the 'Black man' put in (lets not beat around the bush its racism through and through)

At this point I think if Obama had put in place a law so on Veterans Day all US citizens received $500 tax free and free oral sex, Trump would have it repealed and replaced with a bill to give $5000 to the top 1% that day instead

Jinaar

The GOP understands that water is the only thing keeping everything and everyone alive right? Right????

They do know this? Please... do they? Someone say something. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The next Democratic presidential nominee should just run on an "I'll destroy Trump's legacy" ticket, and reverse all the crap that's been put through. Just tear apart anything Trump puts into place.

bionic77

How long does this continue to go on before we forget when America was not a complete shithole?

How does this continue before we get used to this bullshit?

Hopefully we never find out...

Aren't there a bunch communities already in the making of another flint?
Yep. One pretty bad in Louisiana that I know of. A journalist friend was working on just this kind of stuff. I don't remember the other locales because there were just too many.

The next Democratic presidential nominee should just run on an "I'll destroy Trump's legacy" ticket, and reverse all the crap that's been put through. Just tear apart anything Trump puts into place.

Absolutely agree. There are plenty of us sickened by all of this crap.

Kremzeek

Who needs clean water. I mean really.

...so basically they're making it legal for corporations to poison Americans.

Don't know if there's any North Carolinians in here, but in Wilmington it's been discovered that we've been drinking chemicals linked to cancer that have been dumped in our drinking water for years. Everyone here is worried and angry and we don't know how to fix this or how bad the effects will be.

Glad to know the current EPA couldn't give a shit.

Did "science" tell you that it's bad to drink harmful chemicals? I trust the EPA to let the scientists at major chemical companies what's best to ingest!!

/s for those about to get offended

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Who needs clean water. I mean really.

...so basically they're making it legal for corporations to poison Americans.

I can't understand how going against clean water is something that people would support, but there you go. I mean, even the rural areas around these chemical plants have suffered, sued and got money because of dirty water. Even though I am sure these areas voted for Trump, they can't be on board with this either.

Nah. If Trump accidentally does something right, leave it. I mean, suppose he actually does try to get some infrastructure work done (aside from The Wall, of course). It doesn't look like he will, but imagine it came back around. Great. You wouldn't want Democrats saying "stop fixing our crumbling roads".

I'll admit it does seem unlikely, at this point, that he'll propose or support anything that's not complete shit. So maybe it'll make no difference. But Democrats need to stay on policy. The last thing we need is the left to turn into an actual mirror image of the right, and just oppose everything without thinking.

Actually, Trump hasn't screwed over NASA yet, right? Supposedly he's a fan (as long as no one mentions climate change)? Maybe that's a better example.

Top Bottom