• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: EPA Move to Rescind Obama Administration’s Clean Water Rule

Tovarisc

New rule would reverse Obama administration’s Waters of the United States, or WOTUS, rule
President Donald Trump’s administration is moving ahead with plans to dismantle another piece of the Obama administration’s environmental legacy, the rule that sought to protect clean drinking water by expanding Washington’s power to regulate major rivers and lakes as well as smaller streams and wetlands.

The Environmental Protection Agency, Department of the Army and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are proposing a new rule that would rescind the Obama administration’s Waters of the United States, or WOTUS, rule and “re-codify the regulatory text” that existed before its adoption in 2015, according to a press release obtained by The Wall Street Journal that will be sent out Tuesday afternoon.

That action, the agencies contend, “would provide certainty in the interim” while a new rule-making process is undertaken.

Coming almost a month after Mr. Trump announced plans to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris climate accord, Tuesday’s move is another sign the new administration and the EPA under administrator Scott Pruitt intend to prioritize the economic concerns of industry and agricultural interests over environmental concerns and, more broadly, to erase significant pieces of Mr. Obama’s legacy.

“We are taking significant action to return power to the states and provide regulatory certainty to our nation’s farmers and businesses,” Mr. Pruitt said in a statement.

Aimed at clearing up decades of jurisdictional and legal uncertainty and protecting more American’s drinking water from contamination, the rule, which was tied to a provision of the Clean Water Act of 1972, greatly expanded the federal government’s authority to limit pollution in major bodies of water like Chesapeake Bay and the Mississippi River, as well as in small streams and wetlands.
Property developers, chemical manufacturers and oil-and -gas producers also have voiced opposition to the rule, which they argue is an intrusion on property owners’ rights and an impediment to economic growth.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...a-administrations-clean-water-rule-1498586400

Property developers, chemical manufacturers and oil-and -gas producers also have voiced opposition to the rule, which they argue is an intrusion on property owners' rights and an impediment to economic growth.

They'd rather have impediments to their grandchildrens' growth.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
938a56acfa96bed1e66953f8297009e8.jpg

I think clean water is one of those things worth impeding economic growth over.

Not like rich people care. They probably bathe in Evian.

Some actual villain shit. The EPA...is rolling back a clean water rule....The EPA...The environmental protection agency...is rolling back a clean water rule.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
More spite from the Trump administration.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually started making kill squads to hunt down the people that Obama pardoned.

Pathetic petty administration continues to embarrass itself. I honestly wonder what the Trump supporter justification for this beyond Trump somehow getting a fringe benefit and/or simply continuing his pattern of reversing everything his well liked and tolereable predecessor did right simply out of spite.

somato

I think clean water is one of those things worth impeding economic growth over.

Not like rich people care. They probably bathe in Evian.

Funny you should say that... I know someone who works at an upscale hotel, and there is a lady who stays there sometimes that literally does just this. She requests cases of Evian in her suite and only uses it to wash her ladybits.

There's just going to be some awful Flint × 100 incident at this point, isn't there?

I wonder if even that would be enough to push more water regulations.
With gun safety stuck in its place, I doubt it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No more clean water. You got sick from tainted water? Too bad you don't have health care!

Jesus.

It's become increasingly easy for me to understand the Republican worldview once I assumed they truly believe in social Darwinism as a necessary mechanism in furthering the progress of humankind.

Saganator

Time to buy stock in bottled water companies, they're gonna explode when everyone's water nationwide is contaminated. Cha-ching!

Slayven

There's just going to be some awful Flint × 100 incident at this point, isn't there?

I wonder if even that would be enough to push more water regulations.
With gun safety stuck in its place, I doubt it.

Aren't there a bunch communities already in the making of another flint?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
How are people letting them get away with the "this will create jobs" excuse again and again?

I mean... this is your fucking WATER. Jesus christ. You need that shit to live you fucking dumbasses. It doesn't even cost that much when it's clean so you don't need an amazing job to not get fucking lead poisoning under normal circumstances.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How are people letting them get away with the "this will create jobs" excuse again and again?

I mean... this is your fucking WATER. Jesus christ. You need that shit to live you fucking dumbasses. It doesn't even cost that much when it's clean so you don't need an amazing job to not get fucking lead poisoning under normal circumstances.

Who cares about healthcare and water when there's no JERBS?!

Top Bottom