• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WSJ] A Generation of American Men Give Up on College: ‘I Just Feel Lost’

The latest two generations are lazy and self entitled shits. Good luck expecting 75k a year while touting smash brothers skills as your most pertinent speciality....

As for trades, they aren't applying for those either. I could easily hire another 10 technicians but the books are empty and the average age of a tech is 45.

The real issue is these fellas are eating food and consuming power that would be better used for people who raise families and contribute to society.

So go ahead, keep blaming everyone but yourself as usual. It is a small wonder why colleges cater to women and minorities, they dont stick their goddamn hands out and expect a reward for participation.

Real talk.

Last edited:
Best things you can do is
1. Avoid taking loans at all costs. Go to community college the first two years and pay a fraction of the cost. (In the end that Bachelor’s Degree will say the name of the school you finished at, not the one you began with)
2. Know what you want before you start. Have a set goal so you’ll never feel like you’re wasting your time!
3. If you know University is not your path in life don’t let anyone make you feel inferior for making that decision. There’s no one right way in life/success.
Just some friendly advice from someone who’s been through the process and had to learn the hard way.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
For some jobs. Hands on experience is worth more than any degree.

But I guess massive student loans aren’t stopping people from going to uni/college ?

Thought doing uni it would give me a head start. Nope started at the bottom just like everyone else.
But depends on the job etc.

Last edited:
The days of universities promoting critical thought are definitely not over. I haven’t experienced any thought enforcement, and have been treated fairly and respectfully when I’ve pushed back against anything of questionable validity taken for granted as true. While the wrongthink stuff surely does happen at times, and there are general ongoing problems at universities—absurd costs (sometimes for useless degrees), DEI officers interfering with professors, questionable Title IX processes—what gets disseminated on partisan social media and conservative news sources is a handful of the most egregious examples pulled from a pool of thousands of universities. It is not a representative sampling, and it is used to promote an anti-intellectual agenda.
That may well be true but these people do seem to have an outsized influence on society. 10 years ago we didn't have politicians arguing that women can have penises and then refusing to define the word woman. This has largely come from a very small amount of people who are very over represented at universities. It's the same with the forced diversity in the media; it doesn't represent what the majority of people want but it ends up defining what we see on TV.

The fact is that a handful of egregious people are defining our society. They are also very comfortable with trying to shut down debate on these issues.

InfiniteCombo

Gold Member
The days of universities promoting critical thought are definitely not over. I haven’t experienced any thought enforcement, and have been treated fairly and respectfully when I’ve pushed back against anything of questionable validity taken for granted as true.
Depends on what it is you're pushing back against, and how you've pushed back.

Not trying to discredit your experience, but it seems that even the "corner cases" are notorious enough to make many college students careful on what they push back against. Which makes it a less-than-ideal environment for the exchange of ideas.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you believe you somehow have special knowledge about the normal thing tens of millions of people do, by reading about it on the internet from a handful of sources telling you to be afraid instead of doing it…

you should consider the possibility that you’re being manipulated.

If you believe you somehow have special knowledge about the normal thing tens of millions of people do, by reading about it on the internet from a handful of sources telling you to be afraid instead of doing it…

you should consider the possibility that you’re being manipulated.
I've experienced this kind of stuff myself so it's not that I'm being manipulated, I've seen it with my own eyes.

I've experienced this kind of stuff myself so it's not that I'm being manipulated, I've seen it with my own eyes.
I was required to attend a mandatory college orientation class. The small group of men including myself mostly sat at one table, which was fine except for the day the overtly feminist teacher (who was a high ranking faculty member) wanted to shame us for being white males. She made the choice to separate us, had us mix in with the other tables, and then said the words “ok let’s talk about white male privilege.” I’m thick skinned enough to just roll my eyes, but it didn’t stop there. She started calling on people to name things that women have to be afraid of that men don’t, and I had to push back when she wrote up on the board “walking home at night” I’ve been mugged in broad daylight right next to my house across from a church, and I certainly don’t feel safe walking by myself anymore. I always carry a knife now, because men are not safe from random violence and it’s stupid to insinuate otherwise. Neither are men safe from sexual violence, they just report it even less than women.

So I pushed back, and I was upset because of this cultish atmosphere where I’ve been separated from the other men intentionally, and I’m being asked to swallow this men don’t have to worry about anything they have it so easy bullshit. Undoubtedly this confirmed my white male fragility.

My school sends out stupid woke we care about X emails all the time, it’s pathetic. Now I can ignore all that and just focus on what I’m there to learn, but there is a clear message constantly being pushed, all the staff have to subscribe to the religion, and it’s utterly repugnant to me.

Still glad I went, met a lot of cool people and learned what I was there to learn, that one particular experience really rubbed me the wrong way though.

I was required to attend a mandatory college orientation class. The small group of men including myself mostly sat at one table, which was fine except for the day the overtly feminist teacher (who was a high ranking faculty member) wanted to shame us for being white males. She made the choice to separate us, had us mix in with the other tables, and then said the words “ok let’s talk about white male privilege.” I’m thick skinned enough to just roll my eyes, but it didn’t stop there. She started calling on people to name things that women have to be afraid of that men don’t, and I had to push back when she wrote up on the board “walking home at night” I’ve been mugged in broad daylight right next to my house across from a church, and I certainly don’t feel safe walking by myself anymore. I always carry a knife now, because men are not safe from random violence and it’s stupid to insinuate otherwise. Neither are men safe from sexual violence, they just report it even less than women.

So I pushed back, and I was upset because of this cultish atmosphere where I’ve been separated from the other men intentionally, and I’m being asked to swallow this men don’t have to worry about anything they have it so easy bullshit. Undoubtedly this confirmed my white male fragility.

My school sends out stupid woke we care about X emails all the time, it’s pathetic. Now I can ignore all that and just focus on what I’m there to learn, but there is a clear message constantly being pushed, all the staff have to subscribe to the religion, and it’s utterly repugnant to me.

Still glad I went, met a lot of cool people and learned what I was there to learn, that one particular experience really rubbed me the wrong way though.
One thing that annoys me about this whole debate is when feminists say it's outrageous that women have to take so many precautions in order to feel safe when they walk home at night. When you ask them for specifics they say things like 'not taking the shortcut through the park' or 'holding their keys between their fingers'.

Like you, I've also been mugged. As a result, I've spent years of my life training in various martial arts and doing weightlifting. Both of which have taken up more time and effort that simply taking the long route home to avoid dangerous areas (something which I also tend to do). When I point this out what I normally get in return is 'yes, but women feel more afraid than men'. It's as if subjective feelings trump everything else and I should just pretend I haven't had violent experiences in my life.

Artoris

"That one particular experience really rubbed"

If you just had one experience with arseholes, then I would say you were lucky. These type of people are everywhere in life, and they don't always use the feminism umbrella either, they are just nasty people often using excuses to cover it up

The latest two generations are lazy and self entitled shits. Good luck expecting 75k a year while touting smash brothers skills as your most pertinent speciality....

As for trades, they aren't applying for those either. I could easily hire another 10 technicians but the books are empty and the average age of a tech is 45.

The real issue is these fellas are eating food and consuming power that would be better used for people who raise families and contribute to society.

So go ahead, keep blaming everyone but yourself as usual. It is a small wonder why colleges cater to women and minorities, they dont stick their goddamn hands out and expect a reward for participation.

Real talk.
I know people who skipped college and have taken the tradepill. Most of them are not very satisfied. The work is hard and the pay is shit for the most part. Meanwhile I'm sitting in my boxers and shitposting on GAF for half the work day and make quite a bit more money than them. Trade is only worth it if you start your own business, but starting a business is hard and risky. If I have to be a wagie I'd rather be comfortable while doing it.

Tams

One thing that annoys me about this whole debate is when feminists say it's outrageous that women have to take so many precautions in order to feel safe when they walk home at night. When you ask them for specifics they say things like 'not taking the shortcut through the park' or 'holding their keys between their fingers'.

Like you, I've also been mugged. As a result, I've spent years of my life training in various martial arts and doing weightlifting. Both of which have taken up more time and effort that simply taking the long route home to avoid dangerous areas (something which I also tend to do). When I point this out what I normally get in return is 'yes, but women feel more afraid than men'. It's as if subjective feelings trump everything else and I should just pretend I haven't had violent experiences in my life.
The worst part is attackers are probably more likely to beat up a male much more badly if it comes to that. I mean, we can take more, but shouldn't have to more than anyone else and hits to sensitive places like the head are still dangerous.

And don't even get into if you're the 'wrong x' in such a situation.

Top Bottom