• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreckfest - Official Nintendo Switch Release Date Trailer

CamHostage

A bazillion flying tyres, that's what I want in a Bugbear game...

Glad to see the physics is the focus of this Switch trailer (also number of cars on the track,) and that it looks to retain a good level of chaos and destruction as needed. Texture quality is way down (or else I wonder what resolution this is being upscaled from?), which was known to be getting a trim-down from the first video of this version in a Nintendo Direct, but hopefully it's an otherwise playable and crunchy version of Wreckfest.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
30fps

trash GIF

CamHostage

30 FPS on Switch is totally expected; Wreckfest was/is 30 on PS4/Xbox One (and was 30 for a while on even Xbox Series S.)

That's kind of Bugbear's approach: push physics and a heavy vehicle feel rather than blistering framerate and precise reactiveness of handling. Back in the day, the Flatout games generally ran at 30 on console too (and maybe not even that in the otherwise impressive PSP version.)

I get it if you're saying never again to racing at 30; 60 is hard to turn away from (especially if these new consoles have spoiled us on Performance Mode 60/120 features.) Usually, yes, the more frames the better in racing games (and 60 is certainly ideal in Wreckfest if you can get it.) But with the way this game drives, if your car starts careening out of control in Wreckfest, you know that what has led to that dangerous situation should have been corrected in your racing line or maneuvering long, long before you've come into danger, so it probably doesn't matter if you react within 16.7ms or 33.4ms ... you're f***ed.

Last edited:

CamHostage

FYI, Wreckfest for Switch isn't up for pre-order yet on Nintendo's website, but there will be a boxed-copy release of it, and it'll run $40.

On another side, if you already own Wreckfest on PC and have a Steam Deck, this game is Verified for play on it. (Not sure if it runs 60FPS on Steam Deck, but it'll be there now on basically everything but a phone.)

CamHostage

New trailer:
(*Removed. Sorry, same f'ing trailer as above, thought it was new for some dumb reason.)

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm really hopeful for this one. I remember the PSP version of Flatout was a pretty awesome and impressive little conversion (done by the lamentedly absent Six By Nine Ltd in association with Bugbear; I wonder who did this Switch port, I assume Sabre?) and this Switch version has looked better on the surface every time they've shown it.) Framerate isn't perfect, but the physics is throwing tires and the graphics appear to be cut back in the right places for a downconversion. Hopefully this turns out well enough, I'd love to turn some laps and crunch some cars on a portable again.

Main game on Switch is $40 / £34.99, and then there's two season packs at launch (unfortunately it's not an "Ultimate Edition" release with everything up to now included) for $15 S1 and $12 S2. Releases June 21.

Pre-order now without a release date? Lol

Um...

Last edited:
Top Bottom