• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreckfest is a much bigger, varied, and deeper game than Destruction Derby (PS5)

Do/Did you like Wreckfest?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's hilarious with friends. I only you could add more bots as the limit is 7 I think. Doing the big loop track in school buses and other stupid vehicles is a good time.

Yeah that would be hilarious with sofas and toilet cars and other goofy vehicles.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just look at that toilet paper roll. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Dane

From the spelling I know you're talking from Europe, because Pajero has been replaced by the name Montero in the Americas. Has been told that Pajero means "wanker" in Hispanic. We got the shorty Pajeros here as well, but Pajero has been discontinued 2 years ago.
Yes, that one, but in Brazil (portuguese) it's called its original name, since that name has no meaning for us, we had the TR4/iO, the Full, and the bigger SUV model. The Two door is nicknamed as Pajerinho LOL.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes, that one, but in Brazil (portuguese) it's called its original name, since that name has no meaning for us, we had the TR4/iO, the Full, and the bigger SUV model. The Two door is nicknamed as Pajerinho LOL.

Seems like your Pajeros have skills then!

ronaldinho GIF by FC Barcelona

dtremblay

Why don't more people talk about this game? It's so rad! I must've picked it up on psn plus at some point bc I don't remember buying it (which doesn't mean I didn't). I don't like racing games but it was one of the earlier ps5 games available so I tried it on a lark.

Holy shit what a nice surprise! I'm playing w the default settings, which make it pretty easy, but most races still have a competitive finish and a shit ton of action from a to z. It's genuinely the feel of the cars and the physics that make the game so engaging. Unlocks, cosmetics, some of the gimmick races, etc? Meh. But by and large it's just fun to fuck around with. The races themselves and gameplay are the draw. I haven't touched any of the tuning or tweaking. I'm almost done w the last tier of races and will probably check out dlc if any exists.

So if a non-racing fan is reading this and has even a passing interest, I implore you to give it a shot.

G-Bus

Banned
2/3 of the way through the career mode on PS4. Got a ps5 and bought the update. Boot the game up and saves don't transfer.... Still haven't touched it.

I do like it and will probably jump back into career mode when I feel the itch. Just too soon for me to go through it all again.

I really appreciated the lack of rubber band AI.

Why don't more people talk about this game? It's so rad! I must've picked it up on psn plus at some point bc I don't remember buying it (which doesn't mean I didn't). I don't like racing games but it was one of the earlier ps5 games available so I tried it on a lark.

Holy shit what a nice surprise! I'm playing w the default settings, which make it pretty easy, but most races still have a competitive finish and a shit ton of action from a to z. It's genuinely the feel of the cars and the physics that make the game so engaging. Unlocks, cosmetics, some of the gimmick races, etc? Meh. But by and large it's just fun to fuck around with. The races themselves and gameplay are the draw. I haven't touched any of the tuning or tweaking. I'm almost done w the last tier of races and will probably check out dlc if any exists.

So if a non-racing fan is reading this and has even a passing interest, I implore you to give it a shot.
i talk about this game all the time , it's the best racing game on Ps4 IMO and my favorite racing game since split/second on ps3

Whitecrow

Banned
This game is only fun when crashing which in most races is... 10% of the time?
Once the first crashes happen on the first turns, there's not much left to do in normal races. It just gets boring until you wait till the next race.

Connxtion

A really wanted to love this game, been waiting since Flatout 2 for a game like it. But the cheating AI 😩😭 OMG 😂

We need a new Flatout from bugbear.

Tomeru

And yet, DD is more fun to play imo. It is the better feeling game. Ultimately, what makes me stay away from WF is that it lacks the viciousness (among other things) conpared to DD.

I know its a stupid reason, but WF feels childish in comparison.

Schmick

MP is where the fun is especially with friends.

Mind you there are servers I've played on where players have been genuinely upset that I hit or side swiped them. In a banger racing game!

catvonpee

I bought this on PC and I didn't care for the first level so I deleted it. This makes me want to try it again because the OP makes the game look amazing 😍

Whitecrow

Banned
I guess the best way to experience this game is making a dedicated server for your community, with a map rotation that everyone enjoys.

In the beginning, I thought Wreckfest was just a simple, indie game, low budget game that replicates Destructions Derby with bare-minimum content. The title and the cover of the game didn't help understand what's under its sleeves. The Crew 2 offered a similar Destruction Derby DLC as well that might make some people think that Wreckfest is irrelevant. But no, this game has one of the best gameplay mechanics ever, and full of content! Let's break it down:

Content is filled in this game, with Career mode having tons of racing modes according to categories like the ones you see in AAA games and more! You have your regular Nascaric racing modes, Rally racing, destruction derby, bumpy arena racing, and some really goofy racing modes like sofa and school bus racing! Compared to known AAA games, Wreckfest stands tall and proud in comparison with so much content for someone seeking a peaceful offline gaming.

Wreckfest-20210509003426.png

You have also custom racing mode that you can tailor for yourself! It's a great way to make your game loop fresh and fits your flavor. MP is now filled with 24 cars, up from 8 I think. You should experience some fun times on MP of course, just don't get enraged by people pushing you off track. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Wreckfest-20210509000011.png

It also has a wide variety of vehicles to choose from! And the fact that you can swap engines then you can keep your favorite, low level vehicle all the way to the end! Or you can do the other way around and demote the engine to enter some restricted, lower tier races!

Gameplay is one of the best, if not THE best, I've experienced in recent years. But I would suggest turning off stability and traction controls and play with MANual, of course.

wreckfest1.png

And for MT I would suggest using preset #6 so the right analog works as the shifter, L1 is clutch "not necessary but good if you wanna force a drift in some occasions", and R1 as the handbrake.

wreckfest3.png

Tuning could make a better vehicle for certain tracks as well, so don't be afraid to test that out. Higher gear ratio will make it more controllable around corners/drifting, lower will achieve higher top speed and more understeer+oversteer. Stiff suspension is good for less bounciness and stability in street racing, but soft could provide better control on gravel. Differential being limited is the best of both worlds, but having it open should work better on street, while locked will be good for offroad. Brake balance depends on the car, usually cars have 70% front and 30% from factory, depends on what you wanna achieve as one would cause oversteer (rear) and the other understeer (front).

wreckfest2.png

Customization is great in this game, starting with engine swaps to transform your preferred, unbranded vehicle! Although unbranded they are direct rip-offs of well known cars. You can strip your car to have more performance over protection, and this could backfire in bumpy situations as your vehicle will be harder to control after jumps and could roll over or pushed more easily as it's physics based. You can make it a tank and push your rivals sideways but lose lots of speed and acceleration and as well encounter more understeer and oversteer in corners. It's all up to you.

Wreckfest-20210510012344.png

Wreckfest-20210509220142.png

Graphics look decent in the game, would rate it as high as 8/10 after the patch which had some graphical errors and lots of aliasing and shimmering. Although there is still some shimmering and aliasing but it has been much better after the latest update. One of the things I didn't like is the butterfly scoops of the tunnel ram are static, which is a minor details but seen on games like The Crew.

Wreckfest-20210509001113.png

AI in this game is one of the best things about this game. There is no rubberbanding crap going on, AI keep racing while you're not around, and make dynamic choices and mistakes! And if you're lagging behind to expect AI to slowdown to make you feel good, at least in Expert difficulty, although I would advice playing in Novice and complete the side objectives and revisit the tracks later in Expert mode to focus on just winning if you're a completionist. Also with such AI you might end up with all your competitors wrecked! Watch the videos below.

Wreckfest-20210509010227.png

Damage and particles are amazing in this game! Everything stays in place, such thing makes me accept the graphical tradeoffs they made as gives you a realistic feel with all the damage caused to cars and tracks! Your can can even lose a wheel if you get hit their constantly!

Wreckfest-20210509010126.png

Sounds in this game are great as well, not the best but very good. You hear some squeaking sounds sometimes from your car or other when they have broken something. Also passing by burning vehicles sound epic!

Wreckfest-20210509010322.png

Music in this game is well picked, although I would turn off music during gameplay as there is no better music than engine roar! Also to help shifting your gears properly.

Positives:

- Impressive gameplay mechanics.
- Amazing realism of damage with detailed part damage.
- Large amount of offline content.
- Solid multiplayer up to 24 players in one session.
- Very good AI with dynamic outcomes: No cheap implementations like rubberbanding or AI waiting for you to overtake.
- Good visuals and graphics.
- Sounds are great and satisfying.
- Music fits the mood of the game perfectly.
- Solid tuning and modifications, with lots of customization that you may do for each race/competition mode.

- Customizations and tunings are physics-based and provide sensible improvements and tradeoffs.

Negatives: (mild though)

- The game could use a better anti-aliasing solution.
- Butterfly scoops of the tunnel rams should be dynamic, not static.

- Unbranded vehicles (an impossible dream for such a destructive game).

I would easily give this game a 10/10! I got it on PS Plus but was willing to buy it when it gets the PS5 patch, so I went to buy both season passes (1+2) for a total of $35 to support the devs!
--------------------------

Videos I made (all recorded internally on PS5), all in 4K HDR and original audio so have a proper headset to enjoy sounds in this game! All videos recorded internally in 4K@60fps HDR in WebM. Audio is kept stereo which is suited for 3D Audio, or a remixed 7.1 channel into 3D space in a lossless PCM (AKA LPCM).

Novice difficulty, good for completing the side objectives:

Expert difficulty, good for higher challenge for core racing and for revisiting missions:

An extra one, some cars are better than others for drifting through corners:
(4K version is still processing since 12 hours on youtube! Most others took long enough as well)

EDIT: A new aggressive gameplay: (cut the music because of copyright claims)

Edit: error

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

A really wanted to love this game, been waiting since Flatout 2 for a game like it. But the cheating AI 😩😭 OMG 😂

We need a new Flatout from bugbear.
Wreckfest is basically the original vision they had with Flatout in modern hardware. They changed it a bit in Flatout 2&UC for the sake of sales/making it more similar to Burnout.

This is what the original played like:

Tbh i prefer it, this blend of realism with destruction feels more satisfying to play than the absurd destruction and explosion of later games.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Bumping this because I don't know if this needs its own thread, but...

Wreckfest is coming to Switch:

CIBa5eN.jpg

(Nintendo Switch "screenshot"?)

I always thought it'd be cool if this ever happened, just to see what Bugbear could possibly do with Switch hardware, because they make crazy tech and their Flatout game translated amazingly well to PSP back in the day (ported over by Six By Nine Limited from Leeds.) Even if the game is better elsewhere, Switch needs these kinds of flex-tests every once in a while, plus there aren't many racers to chose from on the platform.

A trailer for the Switch version was not released yet, and only a few short seconds of Wreckfest Switch were shown in the Nintendo Direct (that clip looks to show a lot of downgrade, not like these screens), but it's supposedly coming out by the end of this year, so hopefully it turns out well.

Last edited:

freefornow

Bumping this because I don't know if this needs its own thread, but...

Wreckfest is coming to Switch:

CIBa5eN.jpg

I always thought it'd be cool if this ever happened, just to see what Bugbear could possibly do with Switch hardware, because they make crazy tech and their Flatout game translated amazingly well to PSP back in the day (ported over by Six By Nine Limited from Leeds.) Even if the game is better elsewhere, Switch needs these kinds of flex-tests every once in a while, plus there aren't many racers to chose from on the platform.

A trailer for the Switch version was not released yet, and only a few short seconds of Wreckfest Switch were shown in the Nintendo Direct (that clip looks to show a lot of downgrade, not like these screens), but it's supposedly coming out by the end of this year, so hopefully it turns out well.

Question mark is definitely warranted!

CamHostage

Question mark is definitely warranted!

Heh, I know. That video segment didn't give me good feels that the Switch port is a miracle in action.

In the past, Nintendo often snaps its own images or requests original shots when posting for a game on its own service (the most recent case I noticed was World War Z, I don't recognize those screens from the original advertisements.) But looking it up, the images used on Nintendo.com are from the generic Wreckfest promotional materials, so it's totally not the game on the Switch hardware.

FUBARx89

I platinumed it on PS4 and PS5.

My rose tinted glasses refuse to think its better than DD2 though.

"WOAHHHH OH OH, YOU'RE JUST GRINDING METAL" forever in my head.

Top Bottom