• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I may have asked this before but what was everyone's first live even they went to? I'm a bit old so my first live event was a WCW house show in Duluth, Minnesota. Would have been somewhere in 98 I think. They were still pretty hot but definitely cooling down. Jericho was still there. The main event was Scott Hall(rip) vs Goldberg I believe.

dave_d

I may have asked this before but what was everyone's first live even they went to? I'm a bit old so my first live event was a WCW house show in Duluth, Minnesota. Would have been somewhere in 98 I think. They were still pretty hot but definitely cooling down. Jericho was still there. The main event was Scott Hall(rip) vs Goldberg I believe.
Show in the Boston Garden in early 86. Went with my dad, he was a big wrestling fan too. It's been a while but I think Savage won the title the next month so it'd be this show. Maybe I'll watch it again.

Dthomp

Man, dating myself hard. Not sure the venue, it was either Saint Paul or Minneapolis. Was a house show for WWF at the time, I wanna say it was still during the later Hogan/Macho years. I was young and have almost no memories of those days. Wanna say it was alot of the ole midcard talent from that era like Bossman etc.

I don't really go to many events as living in the midwest MN/Dakotas leaves you with few chances. After the above I think I went to a Nitro in MPLS and the first one I can remember the event was the SD in MPLS that featured the Billy and Chuck wedding with Bischoff officiating it under makeup. That was alot of fun.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Somewhere in Connecticut was near a road called elm street. I think it was just a house show. But bret hart was there.

Don’t know the date. I would have been young around 8/9 ish?

Shit think I found it.

Actually would have been visiting my dad so would have been a summer show.

So wouldn’t be that or could have been I don’t know. My dad passed so can’t ask him.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I went to a WWF house show, in 92, where I lived when I was in High School. The main card was Brett Hart (champion) vs Rick Flair. Rick Flair had his butt exposed. I got to give Brett a high five and touch the belt when he came to the ring.

I can't find the show listed, but Brett definitely wrestled Flair.

This may be the match

Kagey K

Banned
Dating myself a lot here, and giving away some location.

Stampede used to come to my small town a few times a year. Got to meet guys like Bret, Davey Boy (and Johnny) Smith if anyone remember him.

I used to have playbills Full of all the wrestlers signatures when they came to town.

Once Brian Pillman grabbed my friend in (full over the head press pose) in the bathroom and threatened to slam him through the toilet, because he was trash talking him as we were all pissing. (We were about 8) and he scared the shit out of us.

I saw a lot of greats come and go, when it was a thing.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

FRthXQ5UYAArXUU

FRZvHVrWUAIJ0Nr

Last edited:

Dthomp

I feel bad that Uno and Stu weren’t really allowed to shine in the tag division being saddled into the Dork Order and being stuck as the second or third team in that joke group. Always hoped after Brodie passed that they would turn and breakaway from being in jobbers who want to bang the boring Cowboy

NickFire

Oh nuts. I checked out today's AEW power rankings. I'm not seeing much hope for am imminent shakeup or two in the men's and women's world champ pictures.

I don't care if its MJF, Adam Cole, or Omega. Just get that belt off of Page and onto the waist of someone who can carry a crowd on the mic, and give CM Punk (or Mox, or BD, or someone else) a compelling chase storyline. There is so much potential being wasted for no reason right now.

And DMD isn't even on the rankings in the Women's division. That is an atrocity. Short of her, the division consists of a bunch of interchangeable mid carders.

As an aside, still no women's tag titles. This omission is getting stupid. They could be giving meaningful matches to 4 women per night with tag titles to chase.

Dthomp

Oh nuts. I checked out today's AEW power rankings. I'm not seeing much hope for am imminent shakeup or two in the men's and women's world champ pictures.

I don't care if its MJF, Adam Cole, or Omega. Just get that belt off of Page and onto the waist of someone who can carry a crowd on the mic, and give CM Punk (or Mox, or BD, or someone else) a compelling chase storyline. There is so much potential being wasted for no reason right now.

And DMD isn't even on the rankings in the Women's division. That is an atrocity. Short of her, the division consists of a bunch of interchangeable mid carders.

As an aside, still no women's tag titles. This omission is getting stupid. They could be giving meaningful matches to 4 women per night with tag titles to chase.

I hope I'm wrong, but I imagine we are going to be in kind of a tread water holding pattern until everything plays out behind the scenes with WBD and the cost cutting that the new CEO has brought up. I don't think AEW has anything to worry about, but seeing Discovery is basically just a bunch of stupid reality crap that single women sit around watching, I think the push for another flat out wrestling program is gonna have to wait. Saw rumors of some type of behind the scenes show, don't care about that. Alot of those guys have vlogs that are more then enough to scratch that itch for me. Long term booking is great, but it feels like we are just flat missing out on some great programs because Khan has some sort of love fest with Page being champ. Dude has been the worst champ in a company that had Moxley hold the title forever without doing anything with it too.

I don't check their power rankings because they have never made sense. I mean, the way some of these guys get booked how are they not always number one contender. Moxley has 4! losses in his entire time in AEW....like how? A handful of guys are beyond protected and everybody else is just treading water. They missed their chance to put the belt on Cole when him and ReDragon were hitting a stride at the last PPV. Them winning the tag belts and Cole winning the world title would have made them huge deals instead of midcarders trying to be friends with the Bucks.

I'm with you on the belt needs to move, and it needs to go on Punk now. He's the only option that makes sense ATM, and at least he can go out and cut a promo and work a program and I don't need to see him wrestle each week (cause he doesn't). I still sit by my thoughts that Danielson should have won the title on Pages first defense. BD is the best overall wrestler/talker/everything that they have, use him. As much as I am coming around on BCC, it's just not the way I'd like to see Bryan used. I'd much rather Punk win the belt and hold it til Omega has returned and done his face turn after the UE break him out more then Hangman keeping it to do the rematch at some point (and likely Page wins again, cause he's basically AEW Cena/Roman now).

AEW womens division is in a bad place because Khan booked it like every other title. Champ holds the belt WAYYY!!!!! too long, finally drops it and then just disappears. Britt is/was the best of honestly a bad group of females but there were so many chances to get the belt off of her. When all your women are average at best, the belt needs to make the wrestler. Britt hadn't needed the belt for the last 6 months of her reign but here we are. Even now, we got Rosa like 4 months late and she has no feud because the entire division was buried for the Britt super push, so we get to retread Nyla the first loser to the new champ again. A shorter Britt reign and adding tag belts would have been a good place to be, but that would also have needed them to hire the Iconics for some more name recognition. I'm just in the boat that the women there are just not entertaining enough for me to want another match each show of them being awful more then seeing a Keith Lee, Swerve, Hobbs, Miro or mostly any other great midcard male attraction they can put on instead.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So two contracted wrestlers from impact were on dynamite last night and both of them lost. I'm sure impact gets some sort of kickback for letting them appear but maybe they shouldn't always be jobbing if you're trying to rebuild the brand?

AJUMP23

So two contracted wrestlers from impact were on dynamite last night and both of them lost. I'm sure impact gets some sort of kickback for letting them appear but maybe they shouldn't always be jobbing if you're trying to rebuild the brand?
It was interesting to see Morrisy (big Cass) again. I am glad he got to be on AEW. I think it was a smart way to build the legend or Wardlow as well. It is weird to bury him, but if is just a jobber for them it makes sense.

I want to see Julia Hart turn and they got close, but she just hasn't done it yet.

dave_d

It was interesting to see Morrisy (big Cass) again. I am glad he got to be on AEW. I think it was a smart way to build the legend or Wardlow as well. It is weird to bury him, but if is just a jobber for them it makes sense.

I want to see Julia Hart turn and they got close, but she just hasn't done it yet.
Maybe they should have used Mad Man Fulton since it’s less of a knock on Impact and he’s still a monster. (No reason they had to give them one of their main event talents. )

NickFire

I was really surprised they did not protect Morrisy a little bit. Never expected him to win, nor should he of. But the dude came back to wrestling in incredible shape, and could have some real potential if used right. There was one time he looked a little amateurish to me if I being honest though. Specifically, it was blatantly obvious he was positioning himself for the top rope move from Wardlow. He's gotta clean that up a bit.

Naked Lunch

I was really surprised they did not protect Morrisy a little bit. Never expected him to win, nor should he of. But the dude came back to wrestling in incredible shape, and could have some real potential if used right. There was one time he looked a little amateurish to me if I being honest though. Specifically, it was blatantly obvious he was positioning himself for the top rope move from Wardlow. He's gotta clean that up a bit.
During that spot you could hear Morrisy say plain as day and loud actually - "are you good?" and wardlow said "yep". Kinda funny.

Dynamite was very weak. Kind of a pattern when AEW is close to a PPV. The storylines get boring and predictable. Fenix vs Dante, although super staged, was great live performance athleticism though. Very impressive.

Im probably in the minority but im already sick of Wardlow (what is this a month of him handcuffed to the ring?) and as much as I dislike Hangman, I hate Punk even more. Kenny cant return soon enough.

dave_d

Im probably in the minority but im already sick of Wardlow (what is this a month of him handcuffed to the ring?) and as much as I dislike Hangman, I hate Punk even more. Kenny cant return soon enough.
Wow, we must be the only 2 wrestling fans that hate Punk. (I think I mentioned this before but in my case it's his shill fans that soured me on him.) If he wins the title I'm not watching AEW.

Naked Lunch

Wow, we must be the only 2 wrestling fans that hate Punk. (I think I mentioned this before but in my case it's his shill fans that soured me on him.) If he wins the title I'm not watching AEW.
Yeah I think I saw you post similar dislike awhile back.

In my case, I quit following wrestling during the time Punk was popular so his return did nothing for me. So im watching him now from that perspective - I gave him a fair shot - hes average, even sometimes crap, at best in the ring. I actually cannot stand the dude and change the channel till hes done talking for his usual 20 minute segment.

Punk will win the title from Hangman and hold it for a while for sure. The fans love him. Hangman has been a pretty boring champ and its time for something new. Personally, I think its time for MJF to hold the belt - maybe beat Punk for it. MJF insulting the hosting city and fans is the best thing about AEW right now.

It looks like shit right now, but, they are still working on it, it's supposed to be released in September, so, I am only hoping they smooth it out and fix it up. If they don't, holy shit, I hope I can snag it for free and laugh.

lol people want the. To go to aew to take on Sammy and Tay Conti,I’d say they would make a great team in roh when tony revives it.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I'd have no issues with AEW trios titles....if they had like another 2 hours of tv a week. We are beyond overstacked roster wise for only 3 hours (really more like 130-140 minutes of tv time). They need a timeslot for RoH and they need to send a bunch of dudes over there for tv time, or just find a way to move Rampage from the dead Friday nights (It's never on at the same time either, that doesn't help) to another weeknight and add a second hour.

dave_d

I'd have no issues with AEW trios titles....if they had like another 2 hours of tv a week. We are beyond overstacked roster wise for only 3 hours (really more like 130-140 minutes of tv time). They need a timeslot for RoH and they need to send a bunch of dudes over there for tv time, or just find a way to move Rampage from the dead Friday nights (It's never on at the same time either, that doesn't help) to another weeknight and add a second hour.
My worry about RoH is Khan will just use it as AEW developmental. IE the AEW version of NXT

Kagey K

Banned
My vote is for AEW to focus more on their primary product. It's getting a little stale.
I was saying this a year ago. They were bloating up the contracts too fast and didn't have enough time to tell all the stories.

The things that made AEW different and exciting at first are starting to get watered down, and the cracks are starting to show.

Naked Lunch

I talked all that shit on Dynamite but loved Rampage this week.
How could you not love Yuka and Riho?
Scorpio Sky segment was really interesting - probably his best mic bit in AEW so far - lots of story angles there.
Main event Lethal vs that Konosuke dude was some high level wrasslin' all around.

Top Bottom