• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Naked Lunch

I was over the Elites new theme after about halfway down the aisle the first time they used it. It's time to go back to the Bucks music and if you want to open the checkbook, pay NJPW and get Devils Sky for Kenny
From what I understand it was the Buck's idea. Im not sure theyll use it all the time - maybe its just for these matches.

I also forgot about Mox's Wild Thing theme which I hate. I kinda liked his original AEW buttrock theme.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Storytelling is... phenomenal?

Some people have extremely low standards. Boring.

But amazing match between Gunther and Ricochet, I gotta say.
I get that people will like stuff that doesn't work for me, that's fine. But the way some people talk about Wyatt's stuff like it's the pinnacle of storytelling baffles me. Over the last few years, has anyone in wrestling been involved in as many bad storylines as him?

dave_d

Storytelling is... phenomenal?

Some people have extremely low standards. Boring.

But amazing match between Gunther and Ricochet, I gotta say.
Too bad the main thing a lot of us are going to remember from yesterday is Top Dolla almost breaking his own neck on that stupid dive. (I laughed, I admit it)

Dthomp

Oh man, this Wyatt stuff is bad and is taking WAY to long to really get anywhere. I've never seen the draw of Hit Row either, they all seem terrible in the ring (maybe not the small guy) and the mic work isn't anything to write home about.

dave_d

Oh man, this Wyatt stuff is bad and is taking WAY to long to really get anywhere. I've never seen the draw of Hit Row either, they all seem terrible in the ring (maybe not the small guy) and the mic work isn't anything to write home about.
The only good thing about Hit Row was Swerve. The thing I didn't get about Friday is why wasn't Santos doing commentary? I mean he can actually do a promo but right after his group came out he disappeared.

dave_d

This is the take I was waiting all week for. BTW he's right, the views from the fans in the arena make it look SO MUCH WORSE. He wasn't even close to making it.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

For some glorious reason I’ve been getting random Bobby the Brain clips on my YouTube feed. As a kid I never really knew how good he was, especially with Gorilla Monsoon, and then I got this:
😢

Gorilla makes Bobby break character:
😂

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Unfortunately it looks like Don West died.

Sad to hear. I know he had been struggling with his health for a while now. Hopefully he was at peace. He was such a great colour commentator. Him and Tenay were a great pairing where Tenay was the walking encyclopedia of wrestling knowledge and West was the everyman hyped to see cool shit.

NickFire

So . . . . . .

What are the chances that The Rock has had enough of Roman calling himself the leader of their family?

100% going to be glued to WWE over the next couple months if they really go there for WrestleMania.

Naked Lunch

Dynamite was amazing tonight. I swear that was the loudest wrestling crowd in recent memory. Awesome to hear.

Mox dropping fbombs with the mic screw ups. Jeff Jarret can still wrestle - the dude is ageless at this point.
MJF Danielson segment was great. I wanted Brian to finally bust out the yes arms in aew for the first time but he didnt do it.
The Halo geek in me spotted some 343 employees (seattle based of course) in the crowd behind the kid that Joe attacked.

Tony really goes above and beyond for his wrestlers to reward them in their hometown - from Daniel Garica, Starks, Hook, Jade, and countless others - and now this Darby bit. No clue how he didnt get hurt on some of those bumps tonight.

The Wednesday show has been very consistent for awhile now - its kinda cant miss TV.
On the flipside Rampage has been a slog - but i see they are live this week. The taped shows hurt it - maybe its live going forward?

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

jufonuk

not tag worthy
https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/1337942-vince-mcmahon-planning-return-to-wwe-to-sell-the-company

I guess he’s hoping everyone really has the 1 second attention spans that he seemed to assumed everyone had when booking the last decade or two.
All Out Wwe GIF by Extreme Improv

NickFire

Master level trolling right there. I do love top notch trolling. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Although, it could also be truth. It probably is come to think of it. If people were looking with doe eyes at WWE cause Vince left, well, of course they'd be less inclined to go back.

Last edited:

dave_d

Master level trolling right there. I do love top notch trolling. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Although, it could also be truth. It probably is come to think of it. If people were looking with doe eyes at WWE cause Vince left, well, of course they'd be less inclined to go back.
Yep definitely master level. That being said WWE turning back into a shitshow isn't enough to get me to go back to watching AEW. I'll just watch more New Japan. (I mean hell, they just had Wrestle Kingdom. I need to watch that.)

Soodanim

Gold Member
Even if TK is joking it does represent a very real feeling within that industry and highlights the massive difference between corporate and performer opinions. Stock went up, but talent likely shit themselves.

I think for everyone's sake it's best if Hunter stays in charge, but fuck knows what his conversations with his father in law are like. Despite the huge amount of respect I'm sure he has for Vince, there must also be some notable difference in opinion

Dthomp

Even if TK is joking it does represent a very real feeling within that industry and highlights the massive difference between corporate and performer opinions. Stock went up, but talent likely shit themselves.

I think for everyone's sake it's best if Hunter stays in charge, but fuck knows what his conversations with his father in law are like. Despite the huge amount of respect I'm sure he has for Vince, there must also be some notable difference in opinion
The biggest difference of opinion being that you can actually employ people below 6'2 and the earth won't explode.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The biggest difference of opinion being that you can actually employ people below 6'2 and the earth won't explode.
Yeah. Although since you brought it up, I do miss how wrestlers used to look. Both in size/physique and presentation. It's been an issue for a long long time, but it's not getting much better. I'm not necessarily talking about roids, although that did make people stand out. In the Attitude Era you everyone was so different. Even if they were fat they were unique. Regardless of height, there's so many people that are nondescript toned wrestler or nondescript pudgy wrestler.

I think that's why certain people stand out more even now. MJF is a star and he has a unique look, he knows how to present himself. Moxley is just there to be champ between champs they actually want, he just says a bunch of shit and walks through the crowd. Even though Orange Cassidy is a clown, at least I know who he is every time he walks in the room. That's more than you can say for plenty.
You don't need to be 6'3 to be recognisable though. Kurt Angle is apparently 5'10, and everyone knows exactly who he is.
Tonight on rampage. Aew. 😂

nuH2L7F.jpg
A E DDs!
(Probably E or F cup but that ruins it)

Reactions: RNG

Dthomp

Kurt Angle had like 6 inch platform boots to hit 6'3. I don't care about size for the most part, but OC can fuck off. Terrible gimmick, terrible to watch in the ring, and he's got the fit body of an 11 year old boy.

dave_d

Kurt Angle had like 6 inch platform boots to hit 6'3. I don't care about size for the most part, but OC can fuck off. Terrible gimmick, terrible to watch in the ring, and he's got the fit body of an 11 year old boy.
Got to second this. I mean I think in this case this is one of those times where I agree with Cornette, Pockets just isn't for me. I mean I know I disagree with him on a few things like Fenix, Kenny Omega, Santos Escobar, Bianca Belair, Montez Ford, Big Show, Asuka, Kairi, Iyo Sky, and Johnny Gargano to name just a few but in this case I agree.

Dthomp

Got to second this. I mean I think in this case this is one of those times where I agree with Cornette, Pockets just isn't for me. I mean I know I disagree with him on a few things like Fenix, Kenny Omega, Santos Escobar, Bianca Belair, Montez Ford, Big Show, Asuka, Kairi, Iyo Sky, and Johnny Gargano to name just a few but in this case I agree.

Why is his issue with Santos Escobar? Or is Corny just hella racist?

dave_d

Why is his issue with Santos Escobar? Or is Corny just hella racist?
Apparently he thinks Santos is basically just another "Lucha Suit" in the same mold as Andrade and Rush. IE I don't think Corny actually knows Santos can speak English, let alone actually being really good at promos. (Come to think of it I can't think of any other wrestler who speaks English as a second language and is as good as him at it, like pretty much ever. Well, except maybe Owens or Sami but I'm not sure if they're non-native or raised bilingual.)

dave_d

BTW I was watching New Japan Strong yesterday and they mentioned Christopher Daniels' eye looks like that because of an injury and it's possibly permanent. I must be one of the last to hear about that. (Just posting this in case anybody else hadn't heard about that.) I figured he was just wearing a colored contact for a cool effect.

Seraphym

BTW I was watching New Japan Strong yesterday and they mentioned Christopher Daniels' eye looks like that because of an injury and it's possibly permanent. I must be one of the last to hear about that. (Just posting this in case anybody else hadn't heard about that.) I figured he was just wearing a colored contact for a cool effect.
That makes two of us...

NickFire

I didn't even read the reports from last night. Just knowing Vince is back has completely deflated my interest in WWE. Zero interest in what I assume is an inevitable return to clown show writing.

dave_d

I didn't even read the reports from last night. Just knowing Vince is back has completely deflated my interest in WWE. Zero interest in what I assume is an inevitable return to clown show writing.
Admittedly I liked el perro loco Dominick but then again it was yet another missed opportunity with Montez.

Top Bottom