• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

That 20 mini promo package/episode/whatever they did for Gargano/Cole 3 was amazing. One of the best things put out by WWE/NXT. I was down on the 3rd match again and another 2 out of 3 falls but that little show just sold me on the match again.

Gargano is probably losing, but he has to be up there as one of the best runs in wrestling over the last 2 or so years. He deserves a chance at the main roster and I would not bet against Johnny Wrestling.

But I'd bet against the WWE using him correctly on the main roster. Although he seems easier to use from a McMahon perspective than someone like, say, Ricochet, so I'd agree that he's got a better chance of main roster success than most NXT hotshot callups (although it's a low bar, let's be honest).

Dthomp

But I'd bet against the WWE using him correctly on the main roster. Although he seems easier to use from a McMahon perspective than someone like, say, Ricochet, so I'd agree that he's got a better chance of main roster success than most NXT hotshot callups (although it's a low bar, let's be honest).

Yeah I have no faith in him on the main roster, most matches are too short for him to showcase his talent outside the main event, and he isn't going there. He'd be great had they made the CW division something that mattered on Raw and not a sideshow on the WWE network where he could fight for that and be a factor in a midcard division.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ya the odds are against Johnny and I don't doubt Vince to screw up NXT gold and think Johnny is part of catering. But Johnny has become the guy whereever he has gone. In NXT he was supposed to be a part time jobber.

So as much as the deck is stacked against him, I still put money on my boy Johnny Wrestling to over come the odds and make it. He at least deserves a shot based on the work he has done in NXT the last 2 years.

Ohh and he has a kick ass theme!

Silent Duck

GfWJOzx.jpg

Pumpkin Nutz

Neo Member
You are crazy...Only kidding that’s great that you can enjoy it I wish I could I stopped watching regularly last fall and totally in April.I still somewhat followed on the news sites and I gave them a couple weeks shot when it was announced that Heyman & Bischoff were taking over but the shows still felt the same and I was bored to tears.I might give them another shot when they move to FOX.

Dthomp

Raw has been slightly improved IMO the last few weeks, but lets not pretend that was hard after how bad it's been. I am not a fan of a flagship show with Seth or even Kofi as champ so the main events are still lacking in my interest, and the one easy home run in Becky has been mostly wasted since Mania. Fiend is interesting, but history shows Bray always fizzles off. SD has been harder for me to watch lately, likely the infinite Shane stuff. I reupped my network for SS and was super let down by that PPV. AEW can't get here soon enough, maybe it'll make me stop tuning in for good to WWE.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
RIP NXT. Vince getting as hands on with it as I expect him to is the last thing I want, if RAW and Smackdown are anything to go by.

Bullet Club

There's a limit to how much Vince can do, especially with XFL starting up, so if he does mess around with NXT it won't be for long.

They will need to start up another developmental show for the Network.

cryptoadam

Banned
USA comes out winning. They are in the same spot they were before FOX took SDL. They have 5 hours of WWE programming. Sure they will need to build the NXT audience up a bit, but if they advertise it enough as WWE I think they can get there.

TBH what would of been better but would never have happend was SDL on USA on WED and NXT on FOX. NXT could of been that more sports orientated program they wanted. But FOX wasn't paying big bucks for NXT they wanted WWE.

So for NXT guys this basically means they are "main roster" now? Whats the difference of being on SDL on USA or NXT on USA. What if NXT pulls the SDL audience from Tuesday and they manage close to 2 million viewers.

Every single week I wonder why is Drew McIntyre used the way he was / not pushed as a dominant heel akin to a Lesnar who actually cuts live promos. That is my biggest complaint.

Samoa Joe is a complete goober. Meanwhile kofi, an actual goober is the wwe champ.

Seth is a shit champion too.

NickFire

Samoa Joe is a complete goober. Meanwhile kofi, an actual goober is the wwe champ.

Seth is a shit champion too.
I hope Seth grows on you because they just gave him biggest rub since Warrior beat Hulk IMO. Me personally, I would like it if Seth stopped so much cheesy pandering to the crowd. Its not a big deal though.

And Kofi has started growing on me a bit. I especially like when he does promos with the rest of the New Day with him.

Dthomp

Every single week I wonder why is Drew McIntyre used the way he was / not pushed as a dominant heel akin to a Lesnar who actually cuts live promos. That is my biggest complaint.

Completely agree, Drew literally has it all to be a dominant heel champ that doesn’t need to be the cheating cowardly heel they love outside of Lesnar. My worry is he gets built back up just to job to boring Seth a few times before falling back down the card.

Bullet Club

-- Tony Schiavone is headed to All Elite Wrestling as PWinsider.com confirmed on Monday that he has signed a deal with the promotion. Dave Meltzer was the first to report that AEW had reached a deal with Schiavone.

It was noted that WWE also had an interest in Schiavone. It turns out that as late as Wednesday, WWE was still pursuing a Schiavone deal. That stopped once he agreed to terms with AEW this past Thursday. He will be on television quite a bit as Schiavone, who is signed to an MLW contract, will continue with his role in MLW.

MLW tweeted out a video that was released back in December on YouTube. The promotion commented under the tweet of the video that “Mr. Schiavone’s MLW status is unchanged.”

With Schiavone signing a deal with AEW, he’ll be back on TNT where he was the lead announcer for Monday Nitro that was presented by WCW.

Prior to this news, Schiavone had appeared in AEW video packages uploaded to YouTube a few months ago. At the time, he wasn’t under contract with AEW.

Currently, WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross serves as the lead play-by-play announcer for AEW so it will be interesting to see what Schiavone’s role with the promotion will be.

AEW has yet to make the signing official but an announcement is expected shortly.

Bullet Club

According to Meltzer, Vince won't be at the NXT shows, so it will still mainly be HHH in control.

Also Smackdown will probably get a third hour that will air on FS1 in the US.

NickFire

I am really excited at the prospect of two shows running live at the same time. A little competition for ratings and talent might give the WWE roster a bit more leeway on the mic over time, which would really open the door to more organic characters and stories that resonate. And the new company already has a few people that are genuinely interesting and not mere WWE washouts. Jericho and Ambrose in particular. Unlike most former WWE turned TNA guys, I legitimately feel like they left because they like the new company better and not because of lack of options.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Because of some family stuff I happen to be in London today. So I’ve made some last minute plans to go to tonight’s New Japan show. Seeing an IWGP title match live should be pretty great.

cryptoadam

Banned
Spanish Fly is dead. After Lee/Dijakovick there is no way else to impress with that move.

I fully expect tongiht for Fenix to do a spanish fly off the top of the ladder because thats the only place left to go.

I have seen avalanche spanish fly's, running spanish flys, off the barricade spanish flys, off the announce table spanish flys, even springboard spanish flys. Once you see a 600 lb spanish fly its pretty much reached its zenith.

Dthomp

Safe bet for that one since likely one of the other women are winning the first title. Tells the story of smaller japanese woman battling THE BEAST!!!

The match was fine, nothing to amazing here, but I'm not super sure that their womens roster is as stacked as the mens side. Set up Bakers first feud for TV, kept the Kong/Brandi thing strong for going to TV.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Safe bet for that one since likely one of the other women are winning the first title. Tells the story of smaller japanese woman battling THE BEAST!!!

The match was fine, nothing to amazing here, but I'm not super sure that their womens roster is as stacked as the mens side. Set up Bakers first feud for TV, kept the Kong/Brandi thing strong for going to TV.
It's no where close to as good as the men's roster.

Private Party are impressive, but this match feels....slow? I don't know

Last edited:

Dthomp

It's no where close to as good as the men's roster.

Private Party are impressive, but this match feels....slow? I don't know

Yeah it picked up near the end. The are super impressive, but remind me too much of a more in ring talented Street Profits. I am a huge Angelico and Jack Evans fan so was pulling for them. Pacing is something that AEW will likely struggle with while they grow, cause this match was almost sleep inducing, and suddenly was going 1000 MPH. That's really been my biggest dislike of indy wrestling in the past but I think we'll get there.

Dthomp

No idea what a Wardlow is, but god damn their female interviewer (Didn't catch her name) is beautiful :)

Edit- Oh thank god no Alex on commentary, replacement was great on Fyter Fest? Or was it FFTF

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Private Party are super athletic. They would be a perfect team to go through developmental LOL.

So WTH is going on why are the announce team talking for like 20 minutes here? Wasn't SCU vs Jungle Dino's supposed to be on the pre show? Are they killing time?

Dthomp

Private Party are super athletic. They would be a perfect team to go through developmental LOL.

So WTH is going on why are the announce team talking for like 20 minutes here? Wasn't SCU vs Jungle Dino's supposed to be on the pre show? Are they killing time?

Felt like they needed to kill a little more time after promo packages before live PPV got going. Solid national anthem this time around, grats to these kids. Hoping SCU is bumped to main card

Dthomp

SCU is a fantastic team to open an event. I don't know what a Marko Stunt is...but I want it to go away. Love Lucha and Jungle Boy, hoping for a great match here.

Top Bottom