• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Agent X

Is WWE preparing to crack open their forbidden door? Bobby Lashley teased this during his opening promo:

"There isn't a man in any division--or any promotion--that can beat me for this United States Championship!"

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is WWE preparing to crack open their forbidden door? Bobby Lashley teased this during his opening promo:

"There isn't a man in any division--or any promotion--that can beat me for this United States Championship!"
Fuck no. Maybe a real small promotion like NWA or something. They sure as fuck aren't going to give AEW any more promotion.

Bullet Club

Jordynne Grace got Chris Benoit trending.

8MysBYU.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Gun club storyline has gone off the rails. I think it is more fun, and they all get more heat if daddy Gunn joins the Acclaimed. Turn his back on his sons for the raps of his friends. Then it culminates in a PPV match where the Acclaimed go to far trying to hurt a Gun son, and that causes daddy gun to remember his sons and save them. That is a storyline as old as time.

Yo... yo... liiisten.
*bum dum dum dee dum dee dummm*
I thought with our story they would have a plan
It may as well have been booked by Vince McMahon

SCISSOR ME DADDY!

In my short time watching AEW those dudes have been cracking me up. And yeah I don't think it was handled well. I need this resolved in a way that leads to lots of scissoring in earnest.

Bullet Club

• A $7.5 million payment in 2018 to a former wrestler who alleged McMahon "coerced her into giving him oral sex and then demoted her and, ultimately, declined to renew her contract in 2005 after she resisted further sexual encounters."
  • A roughly $1 million payment in 2008 to a WWE contractor who "presented the company with unsolicited nude photos of Mr. McMahon she reported receiving from him and alleged that he had sexually harassed her on the job."
  • A $1 million payment in 2006 to a former 10-year WWE manager who alleged McMahon "initiated a sexual relationship with her."
  • The $3 million payment in 2022 to the former paralegal who allegedly had an affair with McMahon. The board concluded the relationship between McMahon and this woman was consensual.
The $7.5m one is allegedly Dawn Marie.

NickFire

At this point I can easily believe the MJF promo veered way off script and he’s really being punished or refusing to work. The alternative is just way too bizarre after all this time has passed with lackluster shows unless he’s injured so bad he can’t even talk into a mic.

Tony - if you’re reading this, what in the hell are you thinking? Your young promotion was on a roll last year. All sorts of buzz and hot fire shows. Things started getting stale in the Spring. Then your young homegrown star batted away a couple months of horrible booking and getting squashed by Wardlow and came out of it as the hottest act in the business that everyone was talking about. And instantly he’s gone and the show is boring as hell. Your passion for the business is great. But this is the dumbest thing you could possibly be doing IMO.

Just pretend he used to work for WWE when writing his checks and get him back on TV before all that buzz has been long since forgotten.

Naked Lunch

At this point I can easily believe the MJF promo veered way off script and he’s really being punished or refusing to work. The alternative is just way too bizarre after all this time has passed with lackluster shows unless he’s injured so bad he can’t even talk into a mic.

Tony - if you’re reading this, what in the hell are you thinking? Your young promotion was on a roll last year. All sorts of buzz and hot fire shows. Things started getting stale in the Spring. Then your young homegrown star batted away a couple months of horrible booking and getting squashed by Wardlow and came out of it as the hottest act in the business that everyone was talking about. And instantly he’s gone and the show is boring as hell. Your passion for the business is great. But this is the dumbest thing you could possibly be doing IMO.

Just pretend he used to work for WWE when writing his checks and get him back on TV before all that buzz has been long since forgotten.
...or the dude just went on vacation. Im still not buying it.
They have Christian Cage trying to do the 'insult the crowd' thing - but hes no where close to MJF - especially with the dumb big bad dino sidekick.

Last night's Dynamite was fantastic with just really great actual in-ring wrestling.
Mox vs Takeshita was incredible - seemed like the crowd was actually pulling for Konoske. The Tag team title match was even better. Very cool to see the title change hands.

NickFire

...or the dude just went on vacation. Im still not buying it.
They have Christian Cage trying to do the 'insult the crowd' thing - but hes no where close to MJF - especially with the dumb big bad dino sidekick.

Last night's Dynamite was fantastic with just really great actual in-ring wrestling.
Mox vs Takeshita was incredible - seemed like the crowd was actually pulling for Konoske. The Tag team title match was even better. Very cool to see the title change hands.
It's possible he's on vacation, got married, whatever I guess. But if so, then they should send a camera and have him talk trash from a beach in Aruba or a boat somewhere, and have him keep needling them on social media while they needle him back. Getting buzz like he had a month ago is something 99% of the wrestlers can only dream about. Gotta keep the pot of boiling water full or eventually all that's left is a burnt pan.

I did see Swerve and Lee got the belts. They've got some chemistry and its cool they are getting a chance.

Mox is getting stale though.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I do think they’ve waited too long to keep buzz going. Punk was going around in public with the WWE title when he “left” as the champion back in the day. AEW is also down stars with injuries and MJF would be shining right now. Pay the fucking dude.

dave_d

I do think they’ve waited too long to keep buzz going. Punk was going around in public with the WWE title when he “left” as the champion back in the day. AEW is also down stars with injuries and MJF would be shining right now. Pay the fucking dude.
I will be blunt, even though I'm boycotting AEW due to the Punk/Moxley title reigns (they both suck) I did make an exception to watch that MJF promo. (Well and one of the Caster raps.) MJF is the best thing they've got.

NickFire

Sticking to MJF's absence because there just isn't anything else going on in wrestling that I find interesting. Roman and Brock will fight again. Oh boy. WWE will temporarily elevate a mid carder or two for a PPV, and then they will be back down the ladder (possibly to team up and lose a handicap match). AEW put some tag belts on Lee and Swerve, but there's like 20 different tag belts that appear on their show.

Oh yeah, back to MJF talk. How much ratings pay-off can they really hope for the longer radio silence drags out? Is it plausible that the people who only watch WWE will become invested in their shows hoping the guy they heard about cutting one promo shows up? I don't think so, but maybe others disagree. On my personal end, it's having the opposite reaction. AEW is now treated like WWE for me. Check reports to see if I should delete from DVR or watch in fast forward. This coming only a couple months from going to a live show. But how about PPV draws? Will more people buy PPV's hoping he shows up out of no-where? Seems even less likely than getting them to watch TV shows.

I'm not about to compare MJF to the titans like the Rock, Stone Cold, etc. Maybe someday, probably not, and definitely not today. But if Tony wants AEW to avoid becoming WWE lite and have one of his OG's become the next big thing, he should go watch some videos. Formula is simple. A huge promo to get buzz (Die Rocky Die, Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass), and hitting the gas full throttle after so people tune in wanting to see what is next. Chances are slim anyone ever gets to their level period. But it will never happen without capitalizing on the buzz and giving non-AEW fans (or even AEW fans) some reason to tune in and see what happens next. Mox beating guys from over seas on AEW television shows ain't exactly a surprise when credits roll.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ex hand egg player. He was signed then called the destroyer of gods and geared up to be the next big thing. Then he got dropped

Last edited:

dave_d

Shaving his head was a mistake. What a terribly drastic change.
And putting him in a jump suit and making him a goon for Gacy. Does anybody know if his match was any good? (I just wonder why the WWE released him. Was he terrible, had a bad attitude or what?)

Top Bottom