• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

qoDRNF4.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I was saying this a year ago. They were bloating up the contracts too fast and didn't have enough time to tell all the stories.

The things that made AEW different and exciting at first are starting to get watered down, and the cracks are starting to show.
my worry is a lot of the originals have now started to leave. you gonna flood it with ex WWE talents and some legacy signings.

you need some fresh talent like orange cassidy or danhausen focus on them more build them up keep Kenny and the bucks like end of level bosses type thing and treat the WWE guys well but use them to build up your talent and get them over.

yes long term story telling etc was great but now I feel like anytime a new person arrives they are pushed mentally all the OG's (apart form the EVP's and Hangman) get dropped down a little and lost in the shuffle, use RoH to make anotehr programme just put other roster in there, build it up and have AEW vs RoH matches from time to time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Time to wind down the evening with the Austin and Rhodes Broken Skull episode.

Austin is an incredible show host.

Reactions: RNG

Kagey K

Banned
my worry is a lot of the originals have now started to leave. you gonna flood it with ex WWE talents and some legacy signings.

you need some fresh talent like orange cassidy or danhausen focus on them more build them up keep Kenny and the bucks like end of level bosses type thing and treat the WWE guys well but use them to build up your talent and get them over.

yes long term story telling etc was great but now I feel like anytime a new person arrives they are pushed mentally all the OG's (apart form the EVP's and Hangman) get dropped down a little and lost in the shuffle, use RoH to make anotehr programme just put other roster in there, build it up and have AEW vs RoH matches from time to time.

Darby Allin should be a top guy around there. Dude was putting asses in seats.

Same with Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy (even if I didn't like them)

It's starting to feel like WCW/TNA 2.0 and that's not good for long term prospects.

What happened I thought today in the wwe pay per view it was going to be the usos vs rkbro to unify the titles,and Roman vs Drew for the title now it’s just a triple threat match?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
WWE losing Roman would be huge, but they know how to build people and drop people. I mean it isn't like he can't have the Rock get him some movie roles.

Dthomp

WWE losing Roman would be huge, but they know how to build people and drop people. I mean it isn't like he can't have the Rock get him some movie roles.

This is the problem with building one guy to be so much bigger then everybody else.....

However, IF Roman were to go away...Can't believe I'm going to say this, but they would be in a great spot to have a solid 5-6 man main event scene on each brand really. Dudes all in the same ballpark like the old SD6 days. A Raw main event scene featuring Seth Rollins, Cody, KO, AJ, Lashley, and guys that could elevate at times like Orton, Edge, and Balor. Go back to using the midcard belt to elevate guys long term like Ali, Gable, etc.

Same with SD, and Drew has been kept really strong (likely to feed to Roman), but Drew is a great face of the company guy. They'd likely have to move a couple guys from Raw to SD since the main event scene isn't as bright with really just Drew, and alot of elevating to get Sheamus, Sami, Shinsuke up to that level. Could easily bring up a few NXT guys to send there or to Raw while moving Orton/Riddle maybe Lashley over to SD.

But who am I kidding, Roman will now be a PT champion just like Brock and likely only drop the belt eventually to...well Brock for his turn with the belt and nothing will change.

dave_d

This is the problem with building one guy to be so much bigger then everybody else.....

However, IF Roman were to go away...Can't believe I'm going to say this, but they would be in a great spot to have a solid 5-6 man main event scene on each brand really. Dudes all in the same ballpark like the old SD6 days. A Raw main event scene featuring Seth Rollins, Cody, KO, AJ, Lashley, and guys that could elevate at times like Orton, Edge, and Balor. Go back to using the midcard belt to elevate guys long term like Ali, Gable, etc.

Same with SD, and Drew has been kept really strong (likely to feed to Roman), but Drew is a great face of the company guy. They'd likely have to move a couple guys from Raw to SD since the main event scene isn't as bright with really just Drew, and alot of elevating to get Sheamus, Sami, Shinsuke up to that level. Could easily bring up a few NXT guys to send there or to Raw while moving Orton/Riddle maybe Lashley over to SD.

But who am I kidding, Roman will now be a PT champion just like Brock and likely only drop the belt eventually to...well Brock for his turn with the belt and nothing will change.
And Goldberg in the mix too. It'd be those 3.

dave_d

Geez, are they trying to ruin both Ciampa and Ali with that match? It made me not care about either guy. (And hell, I even like the Miz but that match was fast forward city.)

AX8

Banned
Geez, are they trying to ruin both Ciampa and Ali with that match? It made me not care about either guy. (And hell, I even like the Miz but that match was fast forward city.)
Ciampa died as soon as he hit the main roster, he's never gonna find a feud like he had with Gargano ever again

Dthomp

Raw was a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I love that Bliss is back to her old music (one of my favs), and for the most part at least a look that is closer to her old original look that I loved over the fiend shit, downfall is she still has that dumb doll (MERCH!), I wonder her in ring shape and stamina to have such a quick nothing squash of Sonya.

I love Becky, but I don't know about basically running the same she's going crazy angle that Seth is running. I miss "The Man", much more badass, much better merch mover too then the chick with lips on her tights. There were so many female segments...and that's not always a good thing tbh. Rhea looks terrible with that awful Cody Black hair die she is rocking.

Ciampa/Ali happened....worst part is, they could put on a banger of a match, but they had to involve the segment blackhole that is the Miz. At one point in his career I enjoyed him, but he's not really even a wrestler at this point, and the guy pretending to be a douchey real world guy into his 40s is more sad the boo worthy. Keep him out of any angles that involve actual wrestlers please.

Cody/Theory was fun, except for the 1000% chance that Seth was gonna cost him....AND WHY DO THEY NEED TO FIGHT AGAIN? Cody won...twice, it's not like the babyface is suddenly just gonna lose the payoff match...right? Seth already had the ammo to go crazy and become more unhinged, we don't need to beat this dead horse. Did Cody learn nothing in AEW about not drawing shit out for WAY to long.

For the most part, I suppose I was entertained. Raw has been much better since Mania, and this is the first stretch I've actually gone out of my way to watch it consistantly for a month in over 3 years. The issue that is gonna quickly be realized though is the building of Roman and on the womens side Bianca to be SOOO much better then everybody else is that there is nobody that you believe is going to take the belts off either of them. Bianca is already kind of second fiddle to an Asuka/Becky feud (As she should be, she's boring AF). And Roman the double champ doesn't even show up, let alone wrestle on Raw.

At least we have Randy Orton (Another thought I'd never think I'd ever say aloud).

Dthomp

Lmao he absolutely hates AEW, it's so damn hilarious. 🤣🤣
Hate is what keeps these guys target audience continuing to listen to their remembering the past podcasts that guys like him, Cornette and so many others thrive on, it’s easy to hate on current wrestling for them. They don’t realize that there aren’t as many people in general watching a lot of television anymore. Attitude era was still for the most part during the early stages of internet usage, and there was no streaming options, so folks turned on Raw. Now there are still tons of live sports, gaming has never been so mainstream, and then you add streaming. All that matters for ratings is that the show is doing well for the time slot on the channel. Low ratings aren’t great, but Khan will learn over time that you don’t keep your belts on non draws and get ratings.

anyways, fuck Bischoff. Wasn’t his big draw (nwo) just a ripoff of something Japan was already doing? Hogan obv was a draw, but honestly you could have swapped Hall and Nash out for half a dozen other guys and the group would have worked. A lot of us enjoyed Scott Hall, but the dude was never in Punks league, COULD he have been….absolutely. But people weren’t watching Nitro just to see Scott wrestle

NickFire

The back and forth is kind of hilarious. But I think Bischoff is plucking some low hanging fruit or picking rotten apples off the ground. Punk is not responsible for AEW's slow down. That falls squarely on the people calling the shots. The program has felt like a slow build to nowhere lately.

Dthomp

The back and forth is kind of hilarious. But I think Bischoff is plucking some low hanging fruit or picking rotten apples off the ground. Punk is not responsible for AEW's slow down. That falls squarely on the people calling the shots. The program has felt like a slow build to nowhere lately.

Facts. Not every feud needs to be a drawn out 5 month saga. It's basically WWE inverted. Where WWE gives you the same 2 guys wrestling 37 times over the course of 4 months, AEW has them feud for 4 months barely ever touching eachother and talking about fighting while just fighting the henchmen of the other guy (Stares boringly at MJF). They need to get back to GOOD storylines, and sometimes like early AEW it's ok to just have to good wrestlers wrestle for the sake of having a match.

I'm sorry. I didn't have enough consideration, but I'm fired, so please be selfish at the end. Because what you bet on is too big.

Excuse me, I know, but I'm writing it. I'm sorry for the unpleasant feeling.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Seems weird to me AEW using Owen Harts's name. He's been dead for 25 years and nobody from the heart family even works for AEW?

Bullet Club

Seems weird to me AEW using Owen Harts's name. He's been dead for 25 years and nobody from the heart family even works for AEW?
It's like the Mae Young Classic or Andre The Giant Battle Royale, stick a dead star's name on it and it makes it seem more important.

Owen's family seem happy about it.

So I've lately been going down a wrasslin' rabbit hole along a couple of vectors. Scott Hall passing, and then through morbid curiosity about the Pat McAfee thing. Where I was kind of aware he was in the wrestling world but for instance didn't actually know he was an announcer on Smackdown. So I watched his part of Wrestlemania, which I thought was surprisingly okay until Vince McMahon and Steve Austin showed up. First off jesus christ what the hell happened to Vince McMahon? He's a roided up 80 year old?

Okay to backtrack for a second my previous wrestling fan history, such as it is, was as a kid in the early early 90s... We'd occasionally rent Summerslam or various Wrestelmanias from Blockbuster, which was always epic because they came on two VHS tapes. Meanwhile we'd also watch occasionally whatever they had on the weekends on USA Network I think... so Razor Ramon, early Undertaker, Doink the Clown.... Monday Night Raw started somewhere in there, then I think we moved and kind of fell off wrestling completely for whatever reason. Then in high school I stumbled across the NWO stuff in progress... I want to say in early 97 or so? Anyway, got caught up in all the info you could get on the Internet at the time about what was going on in the industry... I followed the Monday Night Wars in ratings as if it mattered... watched WCW drag out the NWO thing waaaaay too long. I mean holy shit it felt like years that OMG IT'S STING COMING FROM THE RAFTERS was the standard Nitro ending. As an aside holy shit Sting is still hobbling around dressed like the Crow hitting people with baseball bats in AEW? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So yeah then I went off to college where watching pro wrestling was not a priority at all, WCW straight up died and got absorbed by Vince McMahon like it was anabolic steroids and uhhh yeah, I completely ignored wrestling for the last 20+ years. Christ time flies.

I see the vibe here is that AEW is kind of waning. Is there any way to watch all their stuff legally on the cheap in the US? It hasn't been around that long so it seems like I could just do a full catch up. For now after reading up a bit about Cody Rhodes I just went to the last Revolution PPV and downloaded some of the weekly shows to check it out. Peacock has a crazy backlog for WWE where I'm currently checking out the first episodes of Nitro (truly dreadful) and can hopefully hold out until it gets kinda awesome with the NWO. I might try to check out the competing Raw stuff as it goes into Steve Austin and the Rock who I always hated and kinda ignored. But just from some random YouTube clips I have to admit the Rock is pretty gifted on the mic.

I realize I'm already in wall of text territory, so I'll just end with a couple of observations. They seem to have really pushed women's wrestling while I was away. They always kind of tried to push it. But now there's a lot. I don't get it. It still looks terrible to me. The moves aren't very impressive and yeah I just don't know. Rhonda Rousey has zero charisma, I didn't get into MMA so I guess I just have no idea what anyone sees in her.

Oh and now that I'm in my early 40s... my god does everything look like it hurts. Any good YouTube stuff about I don't know... wrestling technology? How they don't kill themselves.

After watching some of both recent AEW and WWE I like the AEW vibe more overall. Seems more fun. The guy doing the Major League Wild Thing entrance is kinda fun. People singing along with Cult of Personality is pretty cool (fun note, I thought John Cena and CM Punk were the same person for some reason.... see what I'm saying about being totally away from wrestling?). I even like the Tarzan Boy thing. And Chris Jericho sing-a-long, lol. I hated "Lionheart" Chris Jericho back in the day, and really the whole Cruiserweight thing in WCW. I mean I read on the Internet that I should like it. I just couldn't.

Overall I think Seth Rollins is my favorite though. The guy is great. I kinda like Cody Rhodes too though. Aside from that WWE has just the stupidest shit. The 24/7 title might be the stupidest thing I've ever seen in any context during my time on this planet...

And tag team matches seem pretty good these days. Back in the day it just seemed like a way for Wrestlers to do half as much work. These guys are kinda bonkers these days.

Kagey K

Banned
And tag team matches seem pretty good these days. Back in the day it just seemed like a way for Wrestlers to do half as much work. These guys are kinda bonkers these days.
You need to go back and watch the Hardys/Edge and Christian/Dudleys TLC matches if you haven't seen them already.

You need to go back and watch the Hardys/Edge and Christian/Dudleys TLC matches if you haven't seen them already.
Names are mostly familiar, very ECW sounding to my memory. I don't know what a TLC match is. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen these matches. When did they happen?

I had a good laugh when I saw the sign about Edge's face looking more busted than a 3D Sega Saturn game or something. I've seen a few funny gamer signs actually, so I just have to assume that gamer signs have become a thing.

Speaking of ECW lol I see that Paul Heyman is still around.

Least favorite thing about AEW so far is Tony Schiavone and JR. Yeah just take my two least favorite announcers from the Nitro vs Raw era and slap em together.

Kagey K

Banned
Names are mostly familiar, very ECW sounding to my memory. I don't know what a TLC match is. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen these matches. When did they happen?

I had a good laugh when I saw the sign about Edge's face looking more busted than a 3D Sega Saturn game or something. I've seen a few funny gamer signs actually, so I just have to assume that gamer signs have become a thing.

Least favorite thing about AEW so far is Tony Schiavone and JR. Yeah just take my two least favorite announcers from the Nitro vs Raw era and slap em together.
TLC is Tables Ladders and Chairs. 1st one was Summerslam 2000, the second one was Wrestlemania 2001.

Also the 1st Tag Team ladder match at No Mercy 99 and the tag team trio (same 3 teams) matches at Royal Rumble 2000 and Wrestlemania 2000 are worth checking out as well.

Only the Dudleys were in ECW. The other 2 teams made thier names in WWF.

dave_d

I guess we should give Pegasus the following advice. If you start watching stuff in the early-mid 2000 don't get too attached to Chris Benoit. Admittedly he's arguably the greatest in ring talent in the last 30 years so normally I'd say watch his stuff. It's just......well all I can say is damn.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I guess we should give Pegasus the following advice. If you start watching stuff in the early-mid 2000 don't get too attached to Chris Benoit. Admittedly he's arguably the greatest in ring talent in the last 30 years so normally I'd say watch his stuff. It's just......well all I can say is damn.
Legit post and legit observation. Benoit was a great maybe one of the greatest wrestlers ever. But what he ended up doing was horrific.

Oh I'm well aware of his ultimate heel turn. That definitely broke through outside of the wrestling world to mainstream news. Like I said I never cared for the WCW Cruiserweights, or in this particular case... Benoit's stupid face. I think I'll be okay.

Dthomp

Yeah, I read through your long post but this one is easier to quote and respond too. I am probably the same age or within a year or two of you...never really took a break from wrestling. Maybe a small one during the John Cena reign of terror before the "Summer of Punk". You are spot on IMO about JR and Tony, I hated Tony in WCW, and while at a time JR was the best in the business....he is far too old and not engaged the same way he used to be. Often calling guys by their old WWE names. Worse yet are guys like Bryan Danielson who he often calls Daniel bryan, even though for my memory he never actually worked for them with him there. His age shows, and he still gives zero fucks during the womens matches.

I'm kind of with you on the womens post part. There are some great female talents WWE has Becky Lynch (Her "The Man" gimmick from 3-4 years ago is top tier and worth seeking out), Sasha Banks (When she isn't potentially killing herself or her opponent), Bayley (Who should be back from injury soon), and I hate her but Charlotte. Ronda is only champ cause Charlotte is on break to get married and time away. AEW does have a couple really solid workers but they don't really get the time to show it, or have bad opponents who drag them down. Serena Deeb is one of the best workers there is, but she is kind of bland and up there in age, Toni Storm is a new addition and should start to be seen more.

AEW puts all of their Dark and Elevation shows on YT for free, but for the most part they are basically just squash matches from back in the old WWE Main Event days, but it would help get to know some of the dudes characters...but you have to suffer through Big Show, Tony S, and Mark Henry announcing. Plenty of clips of mainline stuff, and hopefully depending on what services you have and what you consider cheap AEWs library could end up on HBOmax/Discovery streaming platform at some point.

I love me some AEW, even got to go to Full Gear last year, but this time period has been kind of a nothingburger for the last 6 months. If you find some of year 1 AEW, Jericho was a great heel champion, and while alot of the people who were on back then aren't around or just simply aren't great it was awesome having something different. Wild Thing guy is Jon Moxley, he used to be in the WWE as an upper midcard, occasionally lower world title guy, worth checking his AEW stuff though, one of his buddies there (Bryan Danielson) is arguably the best wrestler in the world, and up there in the discussion of one of the greats of all time. He's been all over the world, and if you want to see a guy that was getting almost Austin level of reaction at a time, check out his stuff leading up to and including Wrestlemania 30. His stuff in AEW if you can find his match with Kenny Omega is top tier as well. Omega is someone I'd also suggest searching out his stuff. There is ALOT to be excited about when watching AEW, but they do have tendency to draw shit out WAY to long before payoff.

There is a big PPV for them in a couple weeks, so if it's something you get into it's probably a good time to get into it as hopefully alot of new story and direction will start up after that. There are sites out there too, that some have used to be able to either watch them live or following days if you are like some of us without a cable membership :)

There is a big PPV for them in a couple weeks, so if it's something you get into it's probably a good time to get into it as hopefully alot of new story and direction will start up after that. There are sites out there too, that some have used to be able to either watch them live or following days if you are like some of us without a cable membership :)
Yeah I don't have much of a problem hunting down the content, I'm just trying to do them a solid and maximize convenience. Like I subscribed to Peacock and am planning on using a lot of the old stuff as background noise while I work, and occasionally rewind if something super interesting is happening.

And for the price it's hard to complain, you pay like 10 bucks a month and you get the PPVs? So I did have Backlash on live which wasn't the most earth shattering show or anything... and that leads me to a problem I remember from the Nitro era. Monthly PPVs were just too much. I see AEW's PPV schedule is a lot thinner and I think that's the right way to do it.

But still, back in the 90s when I had zero income I'd be begging my parents to let me order those fucking things. And now they're just way cheaper even ignoring inflation. Kind of crazy. I wonder a bit about the economics of wrestling... just thoughts I didn't have when watching as a kid/teenager. How much do these low-mid-carders in AEW make? My god it can't be much!

So yeah like I said with AEW I started w/ Revolution and have been watching the backlog of Dynamites and Rampages, and I plan to be caught up to check out their next PPV live. Rampage (I think that's the one) gives me WCW Thursday Night Thunder vibes... almost doesn't seem worth watching. Seems like they are probably recorded same night as Dynamite?

Anyway there's so much too digest with a 20+ year absence from wrestling, so I'll just ask one question. What's with the Orange Cassidy guy? Does he talk? Or is he just not talking because he's injured. He just stands around like a douche. I've been finding him pretty hilarious and I suppose if I go back and start AEW from the beginning I'll figure it out. Just one of the AEW guys that have stuck out to me so far.

Oh, and is there a good wrestling game? Back in the day it was all about the Japanese shit. The new-ish WWE game looks cool, and it's got a bunch of NWO stuff.. but then if you want the NWO stuff it looks like you're talking at least 90 bucks so I don't know.

Top Bottom