• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, Marvel Avengers is a piece of shit game...

levyjl1988

Banned
I cannot fathom just how bad this game is a dumpster fire of a game.

I'm reading the subreddits for this and just feel bad for the fans.

and this is the type of skins they put out on the marketplace, mind you.
OWZlljS.jpg

They put out a statement saying that skins have to go through a strict approval process from Marvel.
Marvel's quality department just went to shit if this is their standard. I'm seeing better skins from a mobile game than this AAA disaster.

Whatever happened to quality titles and games? The management handling this game is just as bad as those working on CD Projekt Red.

Hell, because of this game fans are wary about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sigh, this is what happens when you have greedy corporations putting out garbage than putting out real quality effort. No wonder they are taking Marvel's image and shoving that in the mud.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game has been out for less than a year, and has regularly been on markdown for $20 (sometimes less). Probably going to be a Black Friday blowout price this year of $7.99. Their original idea of handing out free shit to everyone probably hinged on the fact that most paying customers would be $60 paying customers. Now that the game's got terrible word of mouth, they're desperately trying to squeeze extra cash out of people to make up the difference.

A huge "AAA" game with one of the world's most popular IPs should not be suffering this fate. They did this to themselves. I hope this becomes a cautionary tale for years to come, nobody likes this crap.

MiguelItUp

Gross. This whole game was an absolute disgusting mess. I was legitimately surprised there were some hardcore defenders of the game on here. I mean, to the point where they were bashing folks that weren't interested in the game, lmao. Even after all the flak it got.

I remember checking out the demo and thinking it was fine, but when release happened it sounded so incredibly uninspired from a ton of people's perspectives. Same baddies/fodder, reskinned hallways but similar builds, etc. It just sounded REALLY phoned in. Meanwhile the monetization was absolutely gross. It's like they spent more time on that then the game itself.

Them doing this is just even more proof. It's like they're trying to squeeze out whatever potential money they can get from the game. Meanwhile the CCU is hardly even existent.

I know some folks were interested in the Guardians game, and to each their own, I hope it's decent. I hope people really do enjoy it. But I don't plan on getting anywhere near it, especially after Avengers.

Last edited:

Braag

Pretty sure the game cost a lot to develop and now they are scrambling to minimize their losses before pulling the plug.
They could instead try to fix the game into something the fans want, but nah.
There's just so many things wrong with this game which discourages the player from playing it after the campaign (which is subpar) is finished. And each update seems to be making the matter even worse.

Allforce

The game has been out for less than a year, and has regularly been on markdown for $20 (sometimes less). Probably going to be a Black Friday blowout price this year of $7.99. Their original idea of handing out free shit to everyone probably hinged on the fact that most paying customers would be $60 paying customers.

I bought this for 12 bucks and haven't even tried it, figured it would be a fun distraction for a few hours.

GymWolf

The only good thing was the combat system (kinda) and how different all characters felt but the enemies were boring to fight.

It was the single most bugged games i ever played in my life and that include bethesda games and cyberpunk at launch.

Last edited:

Flabagast

It's my firm belief that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal absolutely hate making and supporting this game, and are doing everything in their power to sabotage it from the inside.

It's just such an insane list of wrong decisions there's just no way it is not intentional.
I am not sure they are sabotaging it in purpose but I am sure that yes, they hate working on it instead of IP much closer to their hearts.

Kappa

Sad to think all they had to do was license the likeness of the mcu actors and this would've been a huge hit. Greed strikes again

crozier

I keep going back and forth as to whether I want to bother with the platinum. The mechanics are really solid and the MP is fun albeit a bit repetitive.

What irks me the most is I paid for Spider-Man months ago.

SCB3

I actually like this game and definitely had fun with the 100 hours in it, but yea, unless you can ignore the MTX, the end game is really shallow

It doesn't help that I tried going back in (I quit before Kate Bishop was added) that it kept hard crashing my PC

LordCBH

I mean yeah. They looked at al the mistakes other looter games made and said “we can do that too!” instead of looking at the changes those games made to improve.

The Avengers game is a piece of predatory dogshit. The sooner it fades into the total obscurity of history like Anthem, the better.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Your post is a bit disingenuous, nobody really likes those themed skins, but they keep doing them cause it's fairly easy "content".
There are plenty of really good skins aside from those, so varied and good cosmetics isn't the problem, the problem is how much they cost.

As for the cosmetics vendor, they still have a full selection of skins if you go offline, so if you desperately want a mediocre looking skin, you still can.
The full cosmetics rework is probably coming with the black panther/wakanda expansion.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Everything I’ve seen about this game makes me think nobody involved has any passion for Marvel or video games. Just a a cynical, soulless product that they hoped would be a money making machine.

Deus Ex died for this.

Fbh

Sounds like they have realized they won't be having some No Man's Sky / FFXIV type comeback story.

So they might as well milk their existing playerbase as much as possible...... while they still have one

kingfey

Banned
I honestly feel sorry for this game. Outrider a nobody game, beat Avengers the most known heroes game, at their height of popularity.

Crystal dynamic messed up this game massively.

At least EA or Ubisoft would have made somewhat a competent avengers game.

iorek21

Not every studio can be like Rocksteady or Insomniac, but then again, a game filled with MTX and predatory shit could never be really successful.

Topher

Gold Member
I put about two hours into the game. I'm done with it. Game Stop will give me $8 in trade for it. I'll be happy to get that back after only spending $23 for it. I'd rather play Watch Dogs Legion than this.

Kholinar

Banned
Not even Battlefront 2 at launch was even a fraction as bad as this puddle of piss water.

Last edited:

Quasicat

The thing that surprises me was how people thought the MP was good to begin with. I played the single player and thought it was decent; I fired up the MP, played it one night with a friend and then uninstalled it. Does Guardians have a MP component? I’m just thinking that if it doesn’t, I don’t want them forcing this stuff on the single player.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
I say let it tank. The MCU is an absolute mess and will continue to tank with the new policies in place. Most of the legacy stories have been retconned into modern nonsense, and it is very difficult to care or keep up with the current stories.

Maybe Disney will let it go if it continues to bomb for the next 10 years.

anthony2690

Banned
I really enjoyed my campaign play through on the series x, I thought it was genuinely good.

Didn't care for the end game and moved on.

I honestly feel if this was just a single player game it would've been much better received sales and review wise.

sendit

The game doesn’t suck because of MTX. The game sucks because the gameplay sucks. The combat is incredibly underwhelming. Weightless and unsatisfying.

So did Sony really pay a bunch of money for Spider-Man to be an exclusive character in this game, and then also not require the developers to specify any time-frame as to when the character would be available? That continues to be the craziest aspect of this game's DLC failures to me. What legally happens if the game is five years old and Spider-Man still hasn't been made?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll be honest, I got this for Christmas and it plays alright but they should of shown what the game was about from the get go.
They promised an Avengers game that would expand and what we got was a repetitive multiplayer arena type game with MX shit.
But wait, theirs epic campaign with the Avengers!
no, you mostly play as a Mr Fantastic knock off little fan girl.
If they was honest about this, maybe people wouldn't be so mad how much it sucks.

He's coming after black panther, probably september/october.
I guess it's good that there's an actual release schedule, but who exactly is supposed to care at that point? Sony was really dumb not to demand their character to either be available at launch, or be the first DLC of any type released for the game. Talk about your investment losing value.

Top Bottom