• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, I've just had the worst customer experience from both Microsoft and especially Square-Enix for Marvel Avengers In Game Credits not being added.

levyjl1988

Banned
Long story short, I purchased x3 500 credits for Marvel Avengers and the in-game currency was never deposited into my account. It was yesterday Sept 2nd at around 12 in the morning that I purchased it.
I'm not sure if there was a bug or a glitch but I had this screen. But I managed to purchase credits by highlighting over the skin I wanted and purchasing it. No credits were deposited into my account.

lMVdFLV.jpg

I then proceeded to contact Square-Enix support about the issue and got this response:

GsLHhGr.png

So I contacted Microsoft support chat.
I tried the following suggestions.
Closing the app and restarting, nothing.
Removing Xbox profile and restarting console, adding it again and loading app, nothing.
So they recommended that I request a refund.
I did so at: https://support.xbox.com/help/subscriptions-billing/buy-games-apps/refund-orders

and got a response of a decline:

2EnoPZq.png

I ask Square-Enix if they can check on their end. I get this response.

RMq3Ial.png

I wait 24 hours and its still not added. So I request if they can investigate the issue. This was their reply...

Q0IplDV.png

This has been the worst customer experience I've ever had to deal with. I get automated response and feel like they aren't even reading whatever I need help with.

Long story short. Do not purchase in-game currency for this game, when it doesn't deposit into your account, these companies will do absolute fucking nothing to help you the customer.

DrDamn

Have you definitely been charged for the credits?

Go back on the chat and explain that the refund is being automatically rejected because MS don't do refunds for in game credits.

That sucks. Maybe it's a pre-release issue on Xbox since the game technically doesn't come out until tomorrow? Still scummy of MS to refuse a refund when you haven't received what you paid for, though.

Last edited:

Ascend

Most customer service representatives give standard responses.

You should reply to Microsoft that a sale constitutes receiving the bought goods. You didn't get any goods and thus their terms of service do not apply in this case.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why didn't you hop on Xbox Support Live Chat? That's were this issues can be solved.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Microsoft probably has no way of checking if something went wrong on the game side. In this case, I think SWX is likely to be responsible.

Aion002

Damn.... That's scary.

I only bought credits twice in video games (Smite and Apex) and in both cases I feared something like that happening. Can you escalate with the support? Maybe some higher up at S-E can fix it... If not, maybe another refund request to Xbox showing all the information provided by S-E.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Story on issue
SE is in the right here, for a change

You'll want to get your bank statement and the transaction numbers for the 3x500 purchase
Then you'll give Microsoft a call and explain the scenario

If they press back, just remind them of all of the news about Apple and Epic and other platforms taking a cut of developer's money to put it on their store, and the transactions run through their store, so it's more well known that money issues have to be taken up with the platform provider

1-877-696-7786

Just as a tip, emails and chats for support are meant for small things or things you can just dump a copy pasta for
If you need shit done, you make a phone call, not sit on your ass and poke a keyboard

Soodanim

Gold Member
Escalate it. Either make phone calls and complain, or make a fuss in a public forum. Either Reddit, Facebook or Twitter. I'm not usually a fan, but you paid for something a didn't receive it, and both companies are being dicks about it but they'll soon come through if there's enough noise. One of them is lying.

I'm not particularly clear on who's to blame, though. Did you perform a transaction through Microsoft to receive some sort of currency before the in-game transaction? If you did and you received it, then it sounds like Microsoft fulfilled their end of that transaction.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
As somebody who works in service I don't know if there's a bigger disrespectful spit in the face after paying for something to be told "sorry it's not me, go bother somebody else"

Sorry OP, this really sucks! I hope it gets corrected fast for you.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Microsoft probably has no way of checking if something went wrong on the game side. In this case, I think SWX is likely to be responsible.
No, they do; it's a part of PCI DSS compliance. Even if they go through a merchant services, the merchant services HAS to be PCI DSS compliant and track/protect all of their transaction data (When I dealt with it a lot it, you had to keep it for 7 years)

If you ever get push back from a company you bought something from (Not under the table) and it was a digital transaction, you can crawl up their ass about it. inb4 they're not in a country that cares about compliance

EDIT: In this case, he would be able to TECHNICALLY take Microsoft to civil court if he can prove that the funds were taken and the commodity wasn't received, and would be further supported by both companies pointing the finger at each other. Courts would say companies need to figure it out and either give the customer their commodity or their money back
Let them admit in court there's no way they can track it; you can turn around and immediately say that means they're not PCI DSS compliant and that their purchase platform needs to be immediately halted pending an audit

Typical ecommerce set up:

CU purchase > Attempt to get funds > Funds received, add to ledger (Purchase history) > Place purchased digital content in account > Product gets info from platform account about digital content available

That way the company having a product on the platform only has to manage their content and the rest is handled by the platform, and gives thorough justification to charge the over head

The first and last things are likely the only things not logged and just need a quick config change to enable logging if they find a problem

Last edited:

Fbh

Do either Square or MS have a place to call?
Not sure how it's with either of those companies but when I've had issues with other companies it's usually faster to get a solution by calling them.

Contacting them through their site or Email will usually just get you a standard (sometimes even automated) reply

Gamerguy84

So after reading the MS response, do you just have to wait the 24hrs to see if it shows up?

Either way I know its irritating but it will get resolved. Sounds like a problem with SE system.

OP wants help, 99% of comments "it's your own fault, don't buy mtx".
OP you have to contact MS again, you bought it from them, they have to help you.

John Day

Yeah, follow through on this with a call to MS first, and to SE. If you have been charged to your card, call and ask for supervisors.

Game has been fun but shit like that is unnaceptable no matter what game.

Codes 208

Don’t just email them, either call MS or do a live chat.

they’re usually pretty good with customer service when you talk to them directly.

Chargeback your card and provide all the proof to the CC company, they'll open a fraud investigation and this will be sorted out asap

This %100

OP, your personal Microsoft acc. Showing the transaction in "Purchase History" ?? If it does, you have a case point, blank, period.

hard_boiled

Neophyte
Lol when working on Windows Servers I file support tickets as an end user customer & not a business because they will do this same thing to businesses & charge hundreds per ticket on top of 1K licenses for individual Server OS keys & thousands & thousands for data center keys.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Chargeback your card and provide all the proof to the CC company, they'll open a fraud investigation and this will be sorted out asap
Yeah never do a charge back unless you FULLY go through every channel you can, and heavily think about the money being returned is worth sacrificing your account

Business' treat charge backs like theft and will suspend/terminate your account, and will usually have you pay their charge back fee to reactivate ($50USD/Transaction)

Specifically with video games, they'll axe your account and may even axe your console it's a large enough sum

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Moral of the story use pre paid cards.

Maybe

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you are going by your bank account you should wait as processing transactions may not have actually occurred. It takes a few days fir it to clear up

Top Bottom