• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you subscribe to a Sony GamePass?

Would you be interested in a Sony GamePass?

• Total voters
I absolutely would sign up! Gamepass has been amazing, and obviously Sony has some of the best exclusives out there. It would have to be day and date releases and keep Sony's catalog on the service permanently though or it doesn't do anything for me.

I have subscribed to PSNow off and on over the last five years, but the fact that newer Sony games come and go so randomly means that I only subscribe if something I want to play comes onto the service, and then I cancel when I'm done. Sometimes I won't even do that because it's just cheaper to buy some of the games by the time they finally land on PSNow.

Elbereth

If the value proposition is there, why not?

Having more games to play than this lifetime allows is something I’ve made peace with. (see steam collection).

No. Gamepass is scam and expensive.

Whom have time to play hundreds of old games?

Long term ps+ subscripters already have hundreds of old games in their library and they stay there (ps+ is super cheap, 35€/year from sale at least once per year = I have it until 2025 now)

All games wont come in GP = pay for it + other games

GP may lower overall quality of games because of the business model

I dont want to rent games, or if I would, then fuck off if they force us to rent 300 games like MS if i want to play only one

It is expensive (~15€ for GP) = more than enough to get 40-50 games/gen by using sales/buying used games. Or even +100 games

GP is quantity scam, pay "little" every month to get lot of things you dont need, and in the end you pay a lot

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
No. It’s just not how I care to play. I want to own games and play at my own pace.

I still buy movies and shows on iTunes and watch them when I want without worrying what’s on a service or getting removed.
If it was like MS and first party games were there forever you could do exactly that.

Kagey K

Banned

Long term ps+ subscripters already have hundreds of old games in their library and they stay there (ps+ is super cheap, 35€/year from sale at least once per year = I have it until 2025 now)

I dont want to rent games, or if I would, then fuck off if they force us to rent 300 games like MS if i want to play only one

It is expensive (~15€ for GP) = more than enough to get 40-50 games/gen by using sales/buying used games. Or even +100 games

GP is quantity scam, pay "little" every month to get lot of things you dont need, and in the end you pay a lot
Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

DavidGzz

Yes, especially if I can get a deal like I did with Game Pass where I'm set until summer of 2023. It's amazing.

BigBooper

Not if it's streaming. And PS has shown themselves to be unintersted in good backwards compatibility, so I doubt it'd be comparable. If it was good though, sure.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No, PSplus is enough and their new releases are always great and they keep their value the first few weeks/months so it's easy to resale and then rebuy in digital when it's cheap.

Xbox games lost all their value because of gamepass. The price drops so fast when it hits GP you have to rush or you're stuck with it.

Also paying monthly is expensive asf, only new gamers and ignorant people are paying for that (unless you find ways to cheat the system with trials etc.). They are wasting money. Renting games is not for me.

NinjaBoiX

Why are people comparing GamePass to PSNow?

Isn’t PSNow a streaming service, whereas GamePass is a list of games you can download?

I’d be interested in a PSPass, streaming just doesn’t work well for me with my connection.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Your parents didnt listen yeah?
leadpoisoning_a400.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Isn’t PSNow a streaming service, whereas GamePass is a list of games you can download?

I’d be interested in a PSPass, streaming just doesn’t work well for me with my connection.
It has streaming and download.

Just like Gamepass has Cloud(streaming) and Download.

Kagey K

Banned
No, PSplus is enough and their new releases are always great and they keep their value the first few weeks/months so it's easy to resale and then rebuy in digital when it's cheap.

Xbox games lost all their value because of gamepass. The price drops so fast when it hits GP you have to rush or you're stuck with it.

Also paying monthly is expensive asf, only new gamers and ignorant people are paying for that (unless you find ways to cheat the system with trials etc.). They are wasting money. Renting games is not for me.

This is delusion. God of War, Spider man and Death Stranding were all sold for almost half price within weeks of them coming out.

Gamepass can’t devalue Sony exclusives, yet there they are.

FrankWza

I think it’s PS3 games that stream only and you can download all PS4 games. There may be an exception or 2 but that’s it

FrankWza

It’s only $1 a month for 3 years if you have gold which I’m pretty sure you need in order to play online. When their exclusives start to come in, plus allowing zenimax to be part of gamepass day 1 they’ll hope to retain some of those customers as that 3 year period closes. It was really their only option with a bare slate.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It’s only $1 a month for 3 years if you have gold which I’m pretty sure you need in order to play online. When their exclusives start to come in, plus allowing zenimax to be part of gamepass day 1 they’ll hope to retain some of those customers as that 3 year period closes. It was really their only option with a bare slate.

I'm one of these people. It was really the only way to keep me subscribed. I won't subscribe ever again unless there is another promo/loophole.

This is delusion. God of War, Spider man and Death Stranding were all sold for almost half price within weeks of them coming out.

I remember selling God of War, Spider-man, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima for about 10$ less than what I paid. Maybe there was a time-limited sale but the demand was still strong when the price went up.

I was stuck with Gears 5 for 20$ for weeks, I had to give it away in a trade deal at Gamestop. This is true for third-party games too. When they are announced on GP you better get rid of them ASAP it will tank fast. I stopped buying physical on Xbox because of that.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm one of these people. It was really the only way to keep me subscribed. I won't subscribe ever again unless there is another promo/loophole.

I remember selling God of War, Spider-man, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima for about 10$ less than what I paid. Maybe there was a time-limited sale but the demand was still strong when the price went up.

I was stuck with Gears 5 for 20$ for weeks, I had to give it away in a trade deal at Gamestop. This is true for third-party games too. When they are announced on GP you better get rid of them ASAP it will tank fast. I stopped buying physical on Xbox because of that.
I’m not going fishing for the old flyers because I don’t care that much. But they were all half price within less than a month after release.

Because you beat them and sold them within days of release has no bearing on thier actual cost in the long run.

Last edited:
Nope, never. I prefer buying games, and only physical releases. I wouldn't feel like the games had any value if they were part of a subscription service, and especially if they were timed. Also, if I had so many games to choose from at any time I wouldn't be able to focus, and I would always feel I needed to try something new and give up on what I was playing :messenger_grinning:

Which is what has happened with my huge Steam library backlog, and also what happened many years ago when I was into piracy (never again..) and could just get any game so easily.

Self

there are are around 350 games and the amount of shovelware is really low.

I've never counted them myself, but when I use the App on Series X it states 100+ games in the upper left corner. But it doesn't change my argument, because the vast majority is still shovelware or very old stuff. Same goes for PS+ naturally.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I've never counted them myself, but when I use the App on Series X it states 100+ games in the upper left corner. But it doesn't change my argument, because the vast majority is still shovelware or very old stuff. Same goes for PS+ naturally.
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games -- 20 games per page times 18 pages (on console) equals 360 games. 100+ is just marketing. I guess they will change it once they hit 500+ games.

There are a lot of old games, I'll give you that, but I don't really see much shovel ware. From the latest games added Asseto Corsa, Ace Combat 7, Desperados III, Injustice 2, Alien Isolation are really good and I am not even counting EA's catalog. Torchlight 3 also has its fans probably.

LocoCocoPops

Neo Member
They’ve had psnow out for a while and you’ve been able to use it on pc too. Gamepass’s only real difference is 1st party games at launch. Which is really good.

ZywyPL

Banned
As long as there's plenty of games to choose from, of course. But given Sony's current business model, I don't think there would be sufficient content from 1st party studios, nor I see Sony willing to moneyhat 3rd party/indie titles. If GP turns out to be a huge success, Sony will most likely follow suit, but until that happens they will simply continue what they are doing, what's the most successful for them.

ksdixon

I'm not sure I understand the question properly.

PS3 PS+ earnt my subscription fee by having banger games on it.

PS4 requiring PS+ for online gaming (as well as the monthly free games), was something of a non issue for me. I was already paying for PS+ happily due to free games; and I didn't mind PS now charging for online play after they'd done it for so long for free whilst MS raked-in the money. And hell, on PS4 you didn't need PS+ to use media apps like Netflix, or to play free2play games either.

In terms of a "Sony Gamepass", there's PSNow. The forerunner to GP, cheaper than GP, with a much larger selection of games. I own this too.

I do think Sony need to sort out making every game on PSNow downloadable to the console; and I do think they need to do something to throw a load of PS1,2,3 "Backwards Compatible" games on there, which are downloadable rather than streaming-only. Especially our digital purchsses from PS3. But I'm not sure that's what you were asking?

GenericUser

I don't like the general subscription idea. I'm not subscribed to a single service (except PS+, which is kinda mandatory if you have a playstation).Paying for something that I may or may not use is wrong in my eyes. If I want a game, I buy it and I buy it to keep it. As far as I know, games are on rotation in these streaming services - no thank you.

Aidah

I'm not subscribed to PS Now, no. Although I've tried it.

I still have a Game Pass Ultimate subscription running that I got back when it was a $1 upgrade, but will definitely not continue to subscribe at normal price after. I've tried a number of subscription services, they all suck.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It needs to have games I care about and didn't already beat and be downloadable to be played natively. Didn't vote, and currently not interested in GamePass nor PS Now even for free.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I definitely feel like this could just as easily read "Would you subscribe to PSNow if Sony put first party games on it day one?" in which case just about everyone's answer would be "yes". Like, duh of course dude.

In that case, yes. Xbox first party? Pass.

Graciaus

If it's on pc they could get a month or two out of me every once in awhile. Not a thing I'd need forever just like the one in Xbox.

SkylineRKR

Depends how you sub. I paid like 4,5 bucks per month because of prepaid card and the 1 Euro/dollar deal as long as your prepaid lasts.

GP isn't perfect, there is trash on it, but you also get EA Play included (Which also has trash, but still something good also). MS exclusives are day one, Bethesda games will be too. MS exclusives aren't on the level of Sony's games but not all of them are bad.

GP does removes games which is shit (First party stays though). PS Plus does not, which means I can still load up whatever game I got once upon a time.

AeneaGames

After jumping back into the XBox ecosystem after a 10 year absence, I'm a convert when it comes to GamePass. A service that allows you to sample such a wide range of games is fantastic at only $15 per month.

That being said, I'm not particularly impressed with most of the games in GamePass, but I'm all in on the concept.

If Sony rolled out a PS5 GamePass competitor, would you be interested in signing up? Or are you still against the idea totally?

Have you checked out the amount of games on PS Now that can be downloaded?

I believe there are more than on GamePass.

The only downside is that due to the streaming part of it, it hasn't been rolled out everywhere but if they would split it up, base subscription for the downloadable games and a bit more expensive sub that includes the streaming part then they basically have GP and xCloud....

And they did say they would make some changes to it so I would not be surprised they will do something like this...

Orpheum

It would depend on the output but generally yes.

I would also subscribe to Gamepass if i were to own an XSX. However this also heavily depends on their future offerings and Bethesda's output. But it's definitely a possibility for me to buy a Microsoft console in the next 2 to 3 years. Because why not... Sony still has a ton of great 1st party studios and Microsoft has gamepass for multiplats. Win win

Greeno

I think a better question would be: "would you subscribe to PS Now if Playstation Studio games released day 1 on the service?"

Thabass

Yes, but it needs to be included in PS+. I'm not going to pay for a separate service when Microsoft includes it as part of Xbox Live. If anything, Sony should rebrand PS Now to into PS+ and include it as part of the $60 a month package.

edbrat

No way this business model is relevant to me, I play a handful of games a lot and I'm happy to pay for them. I'd prefer devs to focus on making good games rather than efficient "monetisation models" and volume to keep feeding subscription services. Great if they work for others tho.

BlackGauna

Only if it's not included in PS Now. I want to download and play on my system.

But on the other hand, Sony is not even in the situation where they need to offer such a service. Their games are system sellers by themselves, and they can make more money by selling them than by putting them in a gamepass-like service.

Probably not. I have ultimate for the new xsx and I really havent used it as I've found I only want to play new games on the ps5 and xsx.

It just has that Netflix overload feeling of all sorts of stuff I don't want to commit to playing.

Valonquar

I already have all the titles I could care about. Every time PS+ adds a AAA game it is one I've owned since launch. I don't need yet another streaming service sub I will hardly use. Between Netflix, Prime, and HBOMAX I have enough content I don't care about.

RAIDEN1

Depends what they have, if they have all the major hits from PS1-4 then yeah maybe...

Last edited:
I think most NeoGAF type gamers would agree that GamePass, as a service, is a step above the recently upgraded PSNow.

Everyone here loves new game release hype. Only GamePass provides that at the moment.
That doesn’t discount PSNow as a competitor though. Part of the competition is providing services that that your competitor doesn’t offer.

Top Bottom