• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you subscribe to a Sony GamePass?

Would you be interested in a Sony GamePass?

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
After jumping back into the XBox ecosystem after a 10 year absence, I'm a convert when it comes to GamePass. A service that allows you to sample such a wide range of games is fantastic at only $15 per month.

That being said, I'm not particularly impressed with most of the games in GamePass, but I'm all in on the concept.

If Sony rolled out a PS5 GamePass competitor, would you be interested in signing up? Or are you still against the idea totally?

Trogdor1123

I said yes, if the games are there and there is value too then why not?

Sony has something coming, we know that based on something Jim Ryan said in an interview around launch time. The question is what?

I like the idea of getting access to a wide assortment of games with the ability to purchase the ones I'd like to keep for a discount. If Sony offers such a service for day 1st party titles I would strongly consider signing up.

kyliethicc

I'd still just buy the games I care about. I like owning the games, not constant subbing to rent access.

Any gaming subscription service is secondary to me. Its something I'd consider trying then drop etc over time, but I'd always still just buy my favorite games first.

Self

That being said, I'm not particularly impressed with most of the games in GamePass, but I'm all in on the concept.

It really depends. I use gamepass and like it. But let's be honest, a good 60-70% of the around 100 games are shovelware type of games. I've subscribed to PS+ since the early PS3 days and I have also accumulated over 100 games which are 60-70% shovelware. There are decent games around, but most interesting things are tackled in the first few months. My conclusion: i only subscribe when enough cool games are available, I play them and unsuscribe. I don't want to waste my money.

Zoro7

Banned
I mean looking at the series X release window. There’s literally no new AAA title that’s come out on gamepass for the series X. Not sure if the Medium is out yet so could be wrong.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I do think Xbox having games day 1 currently is good for the consumer. The problem is that after the initial current gen push, when MS are releasing games monthly to cater for Gamepass will we only get scaled back games? Quantity over quality. A game that needs to keep attention for a few hours that can be interchanged by the next release. It will be the same budget spread over more studios.

I'd be worried that if Sony went that same way we wouldn't see the likes of God of War or GoT on the same grand scale and have more smaller games. Dont get me wrong I loved the quirkiness of the smaller budget artsy games of the PS3 era, the only thing similar since is Concrete Genie. I don't see that same quality if Sony started to mass produce smaller games.

If you have an Xbox and don't have gamepass you're mental. It is great value. I got PS Now on sale and it does the trick with older games, currently playing Killzone. I'm blessed the broadband works so well with streaming PS3 games. I'd rather Sony re-release backward compatible first party games at a reduced price than a gamepass. Imagine releasing the older God of War games on PS4/5 when Ragnarok comes out.

After jumping back into the XBox ecosystem after a 10 year absence, I'm a convert when it comes to GamePass. A service that allows you to sample such a wide range of games is fantastic at only $15 per month.

If Sony rolled out a PS5 GamePass competitor, would you be interested in signing up? Or are you still against the idea totally?

I'm voting that your third option is trash.

What I would vote for is that while I'm not against gamepass style services it definitely isn't for me.

What I am against is if gamepass becomes the only option available.

Next time do a better job with your poles.

Jagz

It already exists. It's PS Now. I bought a year's subscription of it for $40, and got to play Spider-man, Bloodborne, God of War, Days Gone, the Uncharted series, Last of Us 1 on PC. Regardless of it being a streaming service, that's currently limited to 720p (which will get better over time), it's still a great and cheap way to play PlayStation exclusives on PC, without having to buy a PlayStation.

sublimit

Banned
No. Fucking. Way.

I would have dropped PS+ as well if it wasn't for the online play to be locked behind it. Still PS+ (or XBLG) as a concept is a million times better than Gamepass.

Last edited:

You know that PS Now exists for 5+ years and it is 2-3x cheaper than GamePass? You live under a rock all this time?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I definitely feel like this could just as easily read "Would you subscribe to PSNow if Sony put first party games on it day one?" in which case just about everyone's answer would be "yes". Like, duh of course dude.

odhiex

I am not against the subscription services, as long as they bring values. But bare in minds that people's values are not the same.

I'd prefer to "buy" games that I wanted to play, rather than having a huge backlog of games downloaded from the PS+ offerings, but have never been touched since. I suspect Sony's "Gamepass" would be the same for me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

What I would vote for is that while I'm not against gamepass style services it definitely isn't for me.

Do a better job with your grammar 😜

bitbydeath

No. I don’t trust the goodwill will last. AAA gaming will take a gradual hit at first with a bunch of games turning to ingame charges to balance out the money lost. (Things like buying a new hat for Kratos whooray!) But you don’t have to pay for it or so the excuses will go. As time goes on boundaries will stopped being pushed because it’s simply not in the budget, it’ll be gradual though so not many will notice at first or blame it on hardware or Craigs but it will be there. More games will drop the SP only route and head for MP because that is how you keep people playing your game against the thousands of others on the service. Ads will begin to creep into the OS subtle at first with non-gaming related icons but later blow out into full unskippable videos. SP games (those that remain) will eventually push that you can only do so much in a certain timeframe without paying for more but it’s ingame currency so many will excuse it. Especially since you could easily just watch a 60 second commercial and be provided with another ten minutes of gaming at no additional cost.

But hey if that’s where you want to see gaming going then by all means support it.

driqe

I definitely feel like this could just as easily read "Would you subscribe to PSNow if Sony put first party games on it day one?" in which case just about everyone's answer would be "yes". Like, duh of course dude.
I don't have any interest in game passes. If I want a game then I just buy it.
No. I prefer to own my games.
I am not against the subscription services, as long as they bring values. But bare in minds that people's values are not the same.

I'd prefer to "buy" games that I wanted to play, rather than having a huge backlog of games downloaded from the PS+ offerings, but have never been touched since. I suspect Sony's "Gamepass" would be the same for me.
No. I don’t trust the goodwill will last. AAA gaming will take a gradual hit at first with a bunch of games turning to ingame charges to balance out the money lost. (Things like buying a new hat for Kratos whooray!) But you don’t have to pay for it or so the excuses will go. As time goes on boundaries will stopped being pushed because it’s simply not in the budget, it’ll be gradual though so not many will notice at first or blame it on hardware or Craigs but it will be there. More games will drop the SP only route and head for MP because that is how you keep people playing your game against the thousands of others on the service. Ads will begin to creep into the OS subtle at first with non-gaming related icons but later blow out into full unskippable videos. SP games (those that remain) will eventually push that you can only do so much in a certain timeframe without paying for more but it’s ingame currency so many will excuse it. Especially since you could easily just watch a 60 second commercial and be provided with another ten minutes of gaming at no additional cost.

But hey if that’s where you want to see gaming going then by all means support it.
No. Fucking. Way.

I would have dropped PS+ as well if it wasn't for the online play to be locked behind it. Still PS+ (or XBLG) as a concept is a million times better than Gamepass.
I subscribed to PSnow and Gamepass for a minute. I have decided that these services kind of kill my enjoyment of video games. I end up playing a dozen different games for 10 minutes each instead of immersing myself in just one.

No, im not subscribed to PS Now.
I'd still just buy the games I care about. I like owning the games, not constant subbing to rent access.

Any gaming subscription service is secondary to me. Its something I'd consider trying then drop etc over time, but I'd always still just buy my favorite games first.

lol

Paasei

No, I wouldn't. Not because I'm against the option/idea, I only play exclusives on a PS, anyway. Better to just buy them as they mostly release spread out over the years.

Fbh

IF it included all their first party games day 1 and IF it didn't change the type of games they do (AAA 10-30 hours long single player games) and their production values, then sure.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyoje would be against it (other than because xbox made it mainstream and good)

The third option you have....
I'm against the idea of all GamePass type services. Give me more traditional payment models.

I've had a lot of debates about gamepass on neogaf and It seems alot of people against gamepass forget that this 'more traditional payment model' exists alongside gamepass. You can still buy games via disc/digitally.

Top Bottom