• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you subscribe to a Sony GamePass?

Would you be interested in a Sony GamePass?

• Total voters

Neo Blaster

I think most NeoGAF type gamers would agree that GamePass, as a service, is a step above the recently upgraded PSNow.

Everyone here loves new game release hype. Only GamePass provides that at the moment.
God no, I don't want day and date releases on PS Now, I prefer to pay for quality games than get half-assed new releases on a service.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I already have it. It's called "PSNOW" and it's a great service.

Not really a full fledged service and the popularity (or lack there of) is conformed by its lack of aaa games and newer titles.
Unless something changes this disparity will grow over the next couple of years.

Gamepass is not good for someone like me. I don't have time to play games all the time, maybe get an hour or two a night if I am lucky.
Games I like usually take 60+ hours to beat. When games are on these services they get pulled unless first party.
Many times i also get bored and switch games. I usually play 3-4 games and switch between them or more if something new comes out.
Don't want to start game X only to have it no exist in 30 days when i only played 8 hours of it.

I prefer having ownership. I like that i can pull out my old ps1/ps2 games and play them anytime on a ps2-ps3.

Also Sony already has a gamepass, they had it before MS. It's called psnow.

If psnow had ps1, ps2, psp, psvita and ps3 games upscaled with tons of 3rd party support and niche games, than sure but it doesn't. A lot of the oldschool rpgs i would like to play aren't on psnow.

PSplus is a great thing though and i am sure games for gold (or whatever xbone thing is called) is much better to me. PSplus you keep the games as long as you are subscribed and if you leave and come back the games you had remain. If psnow was done like psplus where the games stay as long as you pay for service, than i would be more open to it.

Hostile_18

Banned
I was going to say no I like owning them and own the majority of exclusives now. Sound logic.. or so I thought then someone pointed out that it's less than two triple AAA games a year and I was like damn can't argue with that, my mind is changed.

I'd still get my favourites on sale ages after though for that sense of ownership.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If they had a Gamepass that gave you access Day 1 to Sony exclusives for $120 year, I would sign up. I think Sony would look at this a money losing proposition.

Nah not for me. I like my physical titles too much. I'm so old school I still buy blu-rays and don't have a Netflix.

All the Gen Z's will be along soon to call me Grandad but I don't care. And I like CD's too.

PS Plus already has 42 million subscribers. That's what Sony need to focus on and not create a money-losing service with shaky future.

Drop PSNow and create a new type of service that will cater to a wider audience of casuals.

Sony doesn't need a gamepass which has a limited and narrow potential target market.

What it needs is a netflix/disney+ type of service with game streaming as added value.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

With PSNow existing, I haven't bit. I think it's because I feel like one subscription game service is enough. But it also depends on the library it's offering. I'd definitely bite if there's more.

Reckheim

probably only sub per month bases like I do with MS (when there is something on there I want to play), there is no reason to stay subscribed to these types of services if you aren't using them.

Ev1L AuRoN

Just like with Microsoft I would subscribe for short periods just to play some game at launch that I'm interested. I hope if Sony indeed follow this trend, at least they don't put their AAA on launch day as I believe a subscribe system wouldn't allow for the same investment and time their current triple A's projects demands.

Thirty7ven

Banned
At 40 bucks a game (a very generous estimate that assumes you dont y day one ever) that's 20 games for 800 over 7 years.
Its ironic that your negative statement proves the amazing value of gamepass. Arguably you would have to be out of your mind to pay 800 or 7 years for only 20 games.
The shovelware comments are the best though : doom eternal , such low quality indie trash, am I right ?

I bought Doom Eternal under 20$ and it was a GOTY contender last year for many people. I still haven’t played it because guess what, I have a backlog of those 15 to 30$ games. This doesn’t factor times when double discounts happen and I buy a game for under 10$, or when it’s flat out “given” to me through PS+.

I don’t need a catalog filled with shovel ware, and the games I buy are mine. I’m not renting.

gypsygib

Is Sony made GamePass for PC, I'd 100% be all over it and happily play the ~ $120 a year for it. I've been wanting Sony to release PlayStation in a software format on PC for a while now, I don't care if you have to subscribe to PSN or something similar to access it. It's not like they make much money from console sales. Why not sell PC user the games and the digital Playstation as a service.

NickFire

My understanding is that Sony shot down any possibility of first party games hitting a subscription on day 1. So no, there's nothing to make the cost worthwhile as of now. Although the back catalogue is long and distinguished, there is always a reason if I have not picked up a first party game when it was really cheap. In many if not most cases its just not enough time to warrant more titles in my backlog that I am only tangibly interested in. This issue does not resolve itself by renting them each month.

Sony hasn't even rolled out PSNow in all regions years later. How the hell are they even going to get a GamePass competitor going.

This is one are where I think Sony has a lot to improve on. They're just fucking dragging their heels getting PSNow to Oceania.

sn0man

I'm voting that your third option is trash.

What I would vote for is that while I'm not against gamepass style services it definitely isn't for me.

What I am against is if gamepass becomes the only option available.

Next time do a better job with your poles.
Agreed. More options are great. Removing existing options doesn’t motivate me.

Moogle11

Banned
With zero hesitation. I don’t have a backlog, haven’t since the prior (PS3/360/Wii) generation, don’t collect, don’t care about building a library and rarely replay games. Things like Gamepass are fantastic for keeping costs down and being able to check out games I wouldn’t buy that don’t have demos. I’d love it if Sony and Nintendo had similar services. I don’t know that I’d keep them all continuously of fun existed, but at the least I’d keep one or two of them at all times like I do streaming video services.

I just love the price and convenience of Gamepass as someone that bounces around games, plays a fair bit each year (don’t play many but time sink games, little to no MP games etc.) and who doesn’t care to own. Fits well with my current life goals of being more frugal, saving more money for retirement and avoiding accumulating more crap that we’ll just have to ditch when we retire and decide to move around a ton (or pre-retirement if we get fed up with things). If I could get Sony and Nintendo’s great games on a similar service, I’d be thrilled. I’ve not bought a movie, show or album in years and would love to do the same with gaming. Still buy a few eBooks, but not that many as I make use of my county libraries digital resources for as much as I can and sometimes sign up for Kindle Unlimited.

I get that some prefer buying (physical, digital or both) and that’s totally fine. All options should co-exist IMO. For someone like me who consumes media disposably and doesn’t care about having a library, the service model, streaming services etc. have been a god send. Will make it easy as hell to retire and bounce around cheap places with minimal clutter to drag around once fast internet is ubiquitous with Star Link and other things in the coming decades.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

It’s a no for me personally.
Listed all my favorite systems and the best games for me. The outcome wasn’t as brought as I thought, hence I want to buy a couple of games, done. No need for a constant money drain just to acccess the same games.

meech

Also Sony already has a gamepass, they had it before MS. It's called psnow.

If psnow had ps1, ps2, psp, psvita and ps3 games upscaled with tons of 3rd party support and niche games, than sure but it doesn't. A lot of the oldschool rpgs i would like to play aren't on psnow.
720p max, a total joke. And funny enough, even some old titles like Demon Souls are not available there

meech

My understanding is that Sony shot down any possibility of first party games hitting a subscription on day 1. So no, there's nothing to make the cost worthwhile as of now. Although the back catalogue is long and distinguished, there is always a reason if I have not picked up a first party game when it was really cheap. In many if not most cases its just not enough time to warrant more titles in my backlog that I am only tangibly interested in. This issue does not resolve itself by renting them each month.
Not day one is alright. But if exclusive games arent there after at least 6 to 12 months, after most people bought them anyway, it poor value.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
o I'm only interested in a Xbox GamePass because I prefer Xbox games.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
After jumping back into the XBox ecosystem after a 10 year absence, I'm a convert when it comes to GamePass. A service that allows you to sample such a wide range of games is fantastic at only $15 per month.

That being said, I'm not particularly impressed with most of the games in GamePass, but I'm all in on the concept.

If Sony rolled out a PS5 GamePass competitor, would you be interested in signing up? Or are you still against the idea totally?
Yes and Nintendo too. If they could harness their BC it would flatten anything offered on Xbox. They just have a much stronger stable and history of quality games. Xbox hasn't produced anything notable since the 360 because its all on PC anyway.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
yes and only salty people will say no. Remember the time when Disney+ and HBO were strictly that theater release lol good times.
Subscription is the future for better or worse. Sooner people accepts it sooner they will have to stop pretending to hate

Zog

Banned
Never. I hate all subscription services.

Subscription is terrible way of producing a product. It always leads to mediocrity.
This is true but the industry has been putting out mediocre games anyway. I am hoping subscription services kill DLC.

Vol5

No - Wouldn't go near any subscription service for games. I value ownership & curating my own library. I've just looked through the GP / PSNow library and there are some games I'd probably try but most of them are bargain basement or so old I'd get a deal from eBay or wait for a sale. I barely play any of the games PS Plus gives me each month tbh, so playing another few dollars more for a selection doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I'm going to take a stab at some rough math to show the sustainability or not of a $10/mo subscription rate. This is a starting pt. I didn't dig deep. But I didn't blindly use these numbers either. And I tried to keep it simple.

A $10/mo subscription rate generates $1.2 billion a year per 10 million subscribers. For a 100 million install base where every console is a subscriber, that is $12 billion/yr.

IN 2018 videogame revenue in the US was $43 billion. I believe that is console only and game sales only.

The PS4 and Xbox One combined had an install base of 135 million at the end of 2018. Switch had 32 million install base at the end of 2018. Let's just say for simplicity's sake and rounding up, the install base of 2018 was 170 million consoles. and we'll ignore software on other consoles at the time and ignore the fact that this was the year ending install base and not average install base of the year. Also we're ignoring the fact that some of the consoles would be part of the same household, duplicated in the same household, and some would be 'pre-owned' sitting on shelves at a Gamestop etc.

If those 170 million consoles paid $10/mo then that would generate around $20 billion a year.

Those 170 million consoles are worldwide install base numbers and yet, just in the US, videogame sales in 2018, according to the link, were $43 billion in the US.

Thus even if every console in the world subscribed in 2018 at $10/mo to a Sony Pass or GamePass or NintendoPass, it would only have generated 47% of the 2018 video game revenue in the US alone.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've mentioned this before, but PSNow probably holds even more value for me if they would make their biggest games downloadable. Some of their biggest hits are only available via streaming. Destin of IGN fame did a video comparing the 2 services side by side and is currently the reason I can't really do PSNow right now. I don't wanna stream games. I have Xcloud thru GP Ultimate and don't use it because streaming is just not where it needs to be in terms of latency for either service. That goes for both PSNow and Xcloud.

Alright

Banned
I would subscribe to anything that means I get games as cheap as possible.

Anyone who buys games nowadays is very, very strange to me. Even stranger are those that preorder digital games. Shit, the server might run out of... javas... or something. what?

Fredrik

I'm going to take a stab at some rough math to show the sustainability or not of a $10/mo subscription rate. This is a starting pt. I didn't dig deep. But I didn't blindly use these numbers either.

A $10/mo subscription rate generates $1.2 billion a year per 10 million subscribers. For a 100 million install base where every console is a subscriber, that is $12 billion/yr.

IN 2018 videogame revenue in the US was $43 billion. I believe that is console only and game sales only.

The PS4 and Xbox One combined had an install base of 135 million at the end of 2018. Switch had 32 million install base at the end of 2018. Let's just say for simplicity's sake and rounding up, the install base of 2018 was 170 million consoles. and we'll ignore software on other consoles at the time and ignore the fact that this was the year ending install base and not average install base of the year. Also we're ignoring consoles that are part of the same household, duplicating in the same household, all the used ones sitting on shelves at a GS etc.

If those 170 million consoles paid $10/mo then that would generate around $20 billion a year.

Those 170 million consoles are worldwide install base numbers and yet, just in the US, videogame sales in 2018, according to the link, were $43 billion in the US.

Thus even if every console in the world subscribed in 2018 at $10/mo to a Sony Pass or GamePass or NintendoPass, it would only generate 47% of the the video game revenue generated in the US alone.

Just something to think about.
Things won’t change over night. People are still buying movies and music. People will still buy games. And the industry will grow too.

In the future I imagine we’ll see gaming change like the music, movie/TV show industry. Things are already set in motion for this change. And all you can do at this point is either sit on the fence and miss the golden age of subscription services, when it’s still cheap, or wait until they’ve increased the monthly fee and has to compete with multiple other services about which games they can have and for how long.

On Xbox I’m riding the train while it’s still cheap. Would do the same on Playstation with zero hesitation. On PC I’m still buying games as usual but mostly during big sales.

Top Bottom