• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you stop playing if your wife/gf ask too?

Would you stop playing?

• Yes

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 210 73.4%
  • Divorce/breakup

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • Together for the kids

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Hide play

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Eye for an eye, take something from her

Votes: 11 3.8%

• Total voters
Not my case, my wife don’t play at all but she ask me to finish spider man again because she didn’t saw all the story, or finish Death stranding at 4am because she want to know what happens to Lou.

Just saw on Facebook one guy selling his playstation collection because his wife asked for it as new year goal.
I also have a coworker (game industry) and his wife don’t allow him to play...

I did had one GF that said playing games look stupid and I should stop, I break up same month.

and to be clear, is playing with responsibility, I have a newborn and I stop playing ASAP when my wife need me (lost 100.000 souls in demon souls to clean some diapers :O )

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don’t think she would ever tell me to stop. But rather I did thing so needed to to then play games after.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
What wife?

U6nOutM.jpg

I would be manipulative to tell someone "stop playing". So she would probably come up with similar manipulative demands later... unless it's for someone's own good (you spent all the diapers money on dance moves in fortnite), which does not seem to be the case in your situation.

My GF doesn't like it, but she never asked me to stop, she never asked me to stop biking, etc. but her presence changed my habits, then the kids changed them even more, so I go less sports, less gaming, less everything I used to kill time with... but I play more board games with the kids, spend more time sliding in the snow, etc. So yeah, life change and you wake up to find out you turned into an adult one day.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nope. Luckily, she wouldn't ask. There are not an infinite amount of things that actually get me excited. Don't care much for most TV or movies these days.

She can tell if a game comes out that I'm genuinely excited about.

Well, I didn’t answer my own question lol

if someday she ask me (hypothetical) I would talk about it, stop because she don’t like is strange... , and movies or YouTube Game videos are ok? What’s the idea behind it? Making a gaming pc also no?

my life would be pretty boring with no games.

Last edited:

rubhen925

The way I see it, if I can't play video games and be entertained by them, she better be doing the entertaining part for all those hours....

Gravemind

No. She has no right to make that kind of demand. It's not something that is detrimental to the relationship.

She wouldnt ask me to stop playing games, just like I dont ask her to stop watching retarded rom-coms before bed every night.

nkarafo

My ex would complain i spend too much time, sure. I have been asked to reduce the time i'm playing games many times, by gf, family, etc. It's only natural.

But nobody has ever asked me to stop gaming all-together. Why would someone who loves you ask you to stop doing something you love? It's not like gaming is a life threatening dangerous sport or something.

Permanently? I’d have to be slacking or fucking up the relationship somehow for her to demand that. Usually a request like that is a cry for help or a general communication issue, something must be wrong for suffering to be demanded.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Feel sorry that the dude married such a person.

I mean, unless he really does have a problem with games where he's spending like 8+ hours a day doing them while neglecting everything else. Then, maybe he should take her advice and try to give it up.

Ailike

Dudes in here frontin' like mmo addiction isn't a real ass thing. It's easy to laugh and call people cucks and whatnot, but serious problems can arise. Not talking about the 'it's immature' crowd, but anything has to potential to have negative consequences if overindulged, and sometimes it takes an influential third party to break the habit. If you're a shit dad because you game more than you look at your kid, maybe it's fair for a wife to have you give it up.

No because everyone has their own hobbies. Just because I love gaming and can have a long session here or there doesnt mean it affects my regular life or responsibilities. I had a friend that was told by not his wife but a gf of 6 months to sell his PS3 and games. "You are too old for that". So then months later I meet him and he all happy comes and asks me if I have FIFA or PES in my collection so we play a bit because he misses it so much. I dont.

Life is about compromises. But if someone wants to change you...why are you with that person anyway? My gf is not a gamer at all but she understands my hobby. Because we still live a normal life jsut instead of watching TV or read a book, I play a game. Its that simple.

Tschumi

Playing is my responsibility, though i feel a compulsion to do it intelligently, with restraint.. and i feel when my career gets moving again my game playing will reduce hugely anyway.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nah with the popularity of smart phones, everyone is playing a game on their phone so it is not an issue of “it looks stupid/ for children” anymore but probably the person is looking for an excuse to be mad at you.

Top Bottom