• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you preorder The Witcher 4?

Would you preorder The Witcher 4?

• Yes

Votes: 170 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 318 58.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 56 10.3%

• Total voters

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Its one thing to preorder and preload a game a few days before release to be able to play day one, this is understandable to some degree.
Its another to preorder something months ahead, for seemingly no real reason.

Same for me.

unless it’s something like a Destiny expasion (I’ll tend to preorder them as soon as u can). I usally wait till a day or week before just so I can preload (and get any preorder bonus). Last one was Outriders, got that one the night before on steam.

As long as there is a way to get a refund on digtial preorder I feel safe. Don’t know about physical, seems once you open then box you are SOL.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Fuck no, unless that game some how ends up
Being really good, im not trusting cd projekt red for shit. Cyberpunk is still in bad shape, fucking 5 months after it launched. Its next gen versions are nowhere to be seen. Just a cluster fuck all around. Witcher 4 will have to be one of the best games ever made (like 3), and cyberpunk will need to be in much, much better shape before i consider giving those con artists another dime

Flabagast

Cyberpunk 2077 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Witcher series.
I love the witcher but I agree, CP universe is more original (in video games landscape) and has much more potential going forward (the Witcher world has already been explored through and through over the 3 original games, sure we could play Ciri but I do not really see where they could go from there).

Plus there is a gulf in terms of gameplay and level design between the two series, with much more versatility and interesting decision making on the way to make your build and approach missions in CP.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The Office No GIF

the sting of my Cyberpunk preorder still hurts to the point I may potentially never preorder again. Taught me a good lesson.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
No. I will keep preordering games. I have only been burnt twice over hundreds of preorders across nearly two decades.

If you know yourself and so proper research it’s perfectly fine.
And that is gaming companies get away with murder all the time because people like you like these practices. That is why gaming has turned into a market scam.

Same ol G

No apart from the story the gameplay in W3 was shit.
Even if Cyberpunk didn't happen (I was stoked for the game but after what happened with no mans sky i cancelled the preorder, glad i did) i wouldn't preorder.

Yes. Loved Cyberpunk and even got a refund on the game on PS5 when they offered it. I used the money to buy it on PC. Play through it a second time and now with no crashes. While I was on Gog I also got Witcher 3.

These games are dope as hell. For sure I will support this company.

The whole PlayStation refunds thing bought them so much goodwill IMO. This is something companies like Bethesda would never do. For that reason alone I trust them.

Last edited:
I loved the Witcher 3 but even back then I didn't pre-order it, so Cyberpunk wasn't different. Meaning, I won't do it for the next the Witcher game too.

Markio128

Witcher 3 is one of my favourite RPG’s, but it did need a little bit of extra cooking in the oven before it was as good an experience as it could be on the PS4, at that time. In other words, no, I wouldn’t pre-order because I now know from experience that their games always need patches.

Goalus

I have never preordered any game except for Gears 4 and Gears 5 (which I only preordered because each game was tied to its respective limited edition console).
So naturally I wouldn't preorder TW4.
On the other hand, maybe I would if I knew for sure that it would raise the blood pressure of the Woko Haram cult at REEE.

20cent

Banned
Do people make so many Amazon purchases on daily basis that preordering games help them to keep track and remember what they need to buy between two Funko Pop and Switch Hori cases??

I wouldn't preorder Witcher 4. I would buy it day one though.

harmny

Banned
I'm not talking about the dude in your dp. A lot of the team that worked on Witcher 3 have left CDRP.

Not at all. Look at the credits 90% of the leads worked in cyberpunk. As for other developers it happens in every studio. It's pretty normal. Naughty dog lost like 70% or the designers from uncharted 4 to tlou2. As I said. Cdpr's key people are literally the same

Last edited:
Not at all. Look at the credits 90% of the leads worked in cyberpunk. As for other developers it happens in every studio. It's pretty normal.
My mistake then. But then it's personally even more disappointing to see what happened with CP. I pre-ordered CP without any hesitancy simply on the goodwill CDPR earned after the brilliant Witcher 3. They have to win that trust back for me to preorder anything from them in the future.

Last edited:
I don't understand either. This thread was my attempt to figure out why people preorder.

In another thread I asked why games release so buggy and incomplete these days.

One of the replies was

So I decided to see if people would really still preorder a game from the same company that rushed Cyberpunk 2077 out the door just 4 months ago.

From the poll results and the replies so far it seems like, yup, nothing will change preorder culture. I'm starting to think it's best to forget about it if it comes naturally to people.

Even without a guarantee of quality (no dev group can provide this), it seems people still believe they will enjoy these games no matter what ends up being released at launch.

Game "enthusiasts" probably make up the majority of preorders for games without highly aggressive marketing cycles. Preorders aren't unique to games but the low bar of tolerance.

Kickstarters? Sure. Actual Early access? You know what you're getting into. Live service games? You'll never stop preordering.

Regardless of your personal experience with cyberpunk, If 1/3 of NeoGaf would still preorder anything from anyone after seeing what they did with the cyberpunk release cycle, after seeing the states these games released in:

Skyrim
Daikatana
Duke Nukem Forever
Painkiller
Mass Effect Andromeda
Battlecruiser 3000 AD

Assasins Creed Unity
Destiny
X-Rebirth
Simcity
Diablo 3
APB
Batman Arkham Knight
Eve Online Trinity
Vanguard Saga of heroes
Total War Rome 2
Halo The Master Chief Collectio
Outriders
No Mans Sky
Dead Island
Battlefield 4
Anthem
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy 14
And the hundreds more with day 1 patches making preloads almost obsolete

then preorders will never end and the rest of us should get used to it.
If I decide I want to buy a game, then I have no problem with preordering. So long as the price isn't stupid. I'm not going to wait for reviews, because I don't give a shit what most people think. If I like the look of a game, I'll want to buy it. Pretty simple. I may not like, no big deal. I'll put it down and play something else.

Anyone who preorders this after the CP2077 debacle, is a bona fide RETARD.

Preordering in the age of digital sales is seriously dumb.
Cry more.

geordiemp

Only ganmes I preorder are from companies that I 100 % trust have and always will deliver excellence.

So next god of war - without question and thought.

Witcher 4 - not after Cyberpunk.

Nester99

i don't pre order games unless i get a discount or a free trinket i actually want.

Scarcity does not exist in the digital world (currently)

If this was the old Amazon 20% off for pre order days. - YES.

bump update: It's been almost 1 year since Cyberpunk 2077 released. You can do some research and discover for yourself whether the game is in a good state. With that information, as well as the other games launches that you have witnessed since then, does anyone want to change their vote?

GHG

Gold Member
With the exception of physical collectors/special editions why does anyone need to pre order anything?

They aren't running out of digital copies, nor are they running out of printed disks so what the fuck are people doing pre ordering games in this day and age for?

If there is a cool Collector's Edition i would definately preorder. Sold my Xbox Gwent card game and had the statue, the game and the other stuff for free.

Last edited:

Utherellus

Of course. CDPR IS ABLE to make great Witcher games. Their track record for franchise is amazing. They coded RED Engine from scratch for that game.

They were not mature and professional enough to handle such a grand project like Cyberpunk. They ain't Rockstar or Naughty Dog. Their technical maturity is far more below.

But they sure can make another great Witcher game, which will shake up industry once more.

Especially after harsh dev lessons and experience they got after CP77. Studio infrastructure went through hell and got tested on the endurance.

They are ready like never.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 was easily one of the best games of the last generation and I'm a huge fan (read all the books and played all the games). So yes I would but just out of my love for the franchise.

I understand why people wouldn't want to though considering the mess (to say the least) Cyberpunk 2077 was at launch.

Hopefully CDPR have learnt their lesson and take their time with the Witcher 4 and ensure it's bug-free, polished and ready for launch, we already know it's in pre-production. CDPR have also delayed the Witcher 3 next-gen patch and the Cyperpunk 2077 next-gen patch because of the requests from developers which seems a step in the right direction.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why would I preorder unless I could get it cheaper? I could still buy it on day 1 and play without loaning money to them.

Top Bottom