• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you perfer more linear games than open world?

More open world or linear games?

• Linear

Votes: 119 75.8%
  • Open world

Votes: 38 24.2%

• Total voters

mdkirby

Playing through the new Sherlock Holmes game from Frogwares at the moment, and whilst I really enjoyed my time with Sherlock Chapter One, the open world nature of it resulted in poor pacing, and bloat. The sharper more linear focus of the new game keeps much better pacing and forward momentum. I think they mostly took this approach because of the war, and it being easier/quicker to make, but its better for it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Lately I find myself enjoying linear games more. I don't mind open world games if they are done right.

After playing Elden Ring it made me appreciate games like Sekiro/Bloodborne more which are semi linear/open world and give the best of both worlds. Shin Megami Tensei V and the Persona games are also games I love. You can travel around different areas but it's still very much linear. Shin Megami Tensei V has large maps you can explore but you are always moving forward through them and onto the next.

In the last few years the only open world games I've enjoyed are BOTW and Cyberpunk 2077. I loved The Witcher 3 when it came out but I'm burned out on that. Give me something small, dense, and with lots of freedom.

Mabdia

Linear games that don't put a lot of nothing into the game to make it large but empty and repetitive.

Top Bottom