• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like to see Fellowship of the Ring hit cinemas for the 20th anniversary?

Should Lord of the Rings return to the big screen.

• Yes - Don't tempt me, Frodo!

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No - The time of the Elves… is over

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Oh god. I feel old.

Next year, it'll be 20 years since Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring graced cinemas.

Maybe you missed it when it originally hit cinemas because you were too young (perhaps not even a glint in your father's eye), or maybe you just missed it. If so, you missed out.

Watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy on the big screen was the greatest cinema experience I've had in my 35 years on this planet. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has come close to it.

This is why I'd love to see them release Fellowship again at the cinemas for a limited release in December 2021. They can then release Towers in 2022 and King in 2023, giving people the chance to relieve these classics on the big screen.

So Gaf. What say you? Yay, or Nay?

eot

Banned
My friends camped outside the cinema for tickets to the premiere I remember. Personally, I always thought the trailers were better than the actual movie, but Fellowship is probably the one I like the most so yeah I think I'd go see it again.

Fbh

Fuck, 20 years already?

8d6.gif

iconmaster

Banned
One of my favorite memories is getting to the theater for Trilogy Tuesday the night Return of the King opened. It was a screening of Fellowship extended followed by Towers extended followed by the premiere of Return (non-extended, unfortunately). Twelve hours in the theater, including short breaks between films. I don't know if I could do it again, but it'd be great fun for others.

johntown

Banned
I say no just because I don't enjoy going to the movies......at least around my area. If I lived someplace where people were more respectful I would probably say yes.

Oh god. I feel old.

Next year, it'll be 20 years since Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring graced cinemas.

Maybe you missed it when it originally hit cinemas because you were too young (perhaps not even a glint in your father's eye), or maybe you just missed it. If so, you missed out.

Watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy on the big screen was the greatest cinema experience I've had in my 35 years on this planet. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has come close to it.

This is why I'd love to see them release Fellowship again at the cinemas for a limited release in December 2021. They can then release Towers in 2022 and King in 2023, giving people the chance to relieve these classics on the big screen.

So Gaf. What say you? Yay, or Nay?

Aren't you in the UK?

They were on here for weeks where I am because of Corona Virus. Got to see all 3 extended editions over 3 days.

Aesius

I saw Fellowship of the Ring in theaters 3 times and Return of the King 3 times. Two Towers only once.

That stretch of 2001-2003 was awesome, waiting for each movie to be released and also waiting for the trailers to drop. I remember the trailer for Return of the King was the first HD video clip I ever downloaded. And the anticipation actually stretched out to Dec. 2004 waiting for the Extended Edition of Return of the King to release on DVD.

Seeing Return of the King for the first time in the theater is definitely in my top 5 theater memories. I went with a few buddies and when we walked out, none of us said a word until we got into the parking lot. Then we just kinda looked at each other and someone said "that was the best movie I've ever seen" and we all unanimously agreed.

Hell yeah. I went 2 or 3 times to every film in the theaters. I'd also like Peter Jackson to do a little special edition treatment, by maybe updating the cg and editing in the Martin Freeman and Gollum scene for the flashback part.

Arkam

The Fellowship of the Ring? Yes! Any of the other LOTR/Hobbit movies? FUCK NO!

Fellowship is a good film. The rest are between bad and "kill it with fire!!"

Remember taking my girlfriend to see the Fellowship on release day in our local "mall" theater. Ahhhh.... the good old days....

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmm, could it be the extended editions? Slap an intermission in the middle though.

I saw ROTK in a dinky ass theater in rural Alabama on folding chairs in like 16mm and maybe 1 working speaker. I'd definitely pay to see it in dolby glory.

I don't want any tweaks or 'corrections' either.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Aren't you in the UK?

They were on here for weeks where I am because of Corona Virus. Got to see all 3 extended editions over 3 days.

What.....????

Had no idea. 😭

Oh well. Maybe we'll get 4K/IMAX releases next year for the 20th. By that point hopefully Covid will be over and more people can enjoy them

ManaByte

I saw Fellowship 12 times in theaters in 2001. I'd love to see an Extended Edition theatrical release running off of WETA's new 4K master.

GreyHorace

Watching The Fellowship of the Ring on opening night was probably the greatest cinematic experience I've ever had in my life. I was familiar with the story of The Lord of the Rings courtesy of the books and the Ralph Bakshi film. But nothing could have prepared me for how great it was going to unfold on the big screen.

Not sure if movie theaters are ever going to open again what with this pandemic going on, but I'd be down to watching this classic yet again.

Alcibiades

Saw the extended in theaters this past summer, first time watching any LOTR. Great time to watch classic movies on the big screen with no new movies out.

BigBooper

No, unless I control the remote. 3.5 hour movies need multiple intermissions. Would rather watch it again at home for that reason. If I need to take a 5 minute break after watching Liv Tyler prancing around with her pointy ears, no problem.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No.

WWbE1uG.jpg

we're getting 4K trilogy soon but in the future i wouldn't mind if they updated some of the CGI which is start to show its age now.

I've only watched the first movie like when. It released. Should I watch the other two?
wtf.

on one hand YES. absolutely. it's only the best movie trilogy to exist.

on the other....if you watched Fellowship and didn't bother watching the others then you probably won't like it.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, my hype for fellowship was quite something. Saw it three times in total in the cinema. To this day imo one of the best movies ever made. The sequels just were nor able to capture that sense of adventure.

Last edited:
Reactions: KO7

JSoup

Banned
I remember seeing the second movie in high school on VHS, while it was still in theaters. Wasn't a cam copy either, it was a high (for VHS, anyway) quality copy. Various sections had the words "for your consideration" at the bottom of the screen. My mentor said "That's for the Emmys, this is a copy sent out to voters. I have an actor friend who made a copy for me."

quickwhips

No.

WWbE1uG.jpg

we're getting 4K trilogy soon but in the future i wouldn't mind if they updated some of the CGI which is start to show its age now.

wtf.

on one hand YES. absolutely. it's only the best movie trilogy to exist.

on the other....if you watched Fellowship and didn't bother watching the others then you probably won't like it.
Life just got in the way. I'll add it to the list to watch all 3 again.

KO7

Like many others already mentioned, FotR theatrical release was THE “moment in time” event for me when it comes to cinema. Read the books and it was already my favourite series of all-time before the movies came out.

I still almost shed a happy tear when I listen to “Concerning Hobbits”. The following two movies didn’t quite live up to the hype I had after watching Fellowship though.

DESTROYA

No, at this point I would rather just watch it a in 4K at home where I could stop it when I have to pee or grab a beer from the fridge whenever I want.

As big of a fan as i am, idonly truly be interested in fotr. If they did a 20 anniversary extended edition theatrical release of all 3 in one showing. Id sign up for it though

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Fellowship was the first 3 hour anything I've ever sat through and went "that's it?" at the end like it was only 20 mins long.

But no I'm eyeing those 4K releases more than seeing this in theaters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Theaters? Nah, I'd rather watch them in 4K HDR on my 55" OLED screen at home.

Cinemas in the Netherlands have the entire Extended trilogy playing right now. Was really glad I was able to see them all again, such amazing movies.

When I was a kid, I begged my dad to take me to watch this at my local cinema, he said no because he thought it was rated R. He left to see it that night. Hours later he came back telling me he'll take me to see it next week because he was wrong. I told him no thanks

Top Bottom