• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you give up gaming if it went to a all digital future?

Yes or no?

• Total voters

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not really because in the end in still paying more for them.

You want me to explain to you how a higher price is more expensive than a lower one?

Its not cheaper if it has a higher price.

if you can't read what I Sid before that's on you. I shown you a way were digital games can be purchased cheaper plus on my ps4 I have bought loads of digital games cheaper than physical by waiting for prices to go down in a sale

nbkicker

Nope cant really remember when i last bought a disc, in fact was demon souls for ps5, but before that will have been 2yrs , been digital for a good bit, so i wouldnt give up gaming for all digital, but would give up gaming if a lot of games i like suddently went all sjw or woke, id be well pissed if the next streetfighter or tekken they went all mortal kombat and covered characters outfits up etx

Last edited:

BigBooper

Not entirely, but my buying new games would slow down even more. I probably wouldn't buy any more consoles unless they have complete backwards compatibility.

if you can't read what I Sid before that's on you. I shown you a way were digital games can be purchased cheaper plus on my ps4 I have bought loads of digital games cheaper than physical by waiting for prices to go down in a sale

You know know that physical copies also drop as well right?

Plus there's the option to buy copies second hand as well.

And since you brought in game sharing as a way to play for cheap or for free.

lreijnahdca5x4hqqkhd.gif

Anyways I bought countless physical copies cheaper than their digital counterparts by waiting for prices to drop or buying second hand.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

People still buy physical games? Why?

It isn't like music or movies, where I still purchase physical because the quality is higher, a "physical" game has to be installed onto a hard drive and thus becomes identical to the digital, except that you have to get up to change games (how archaic!).

Don't tell me that the $2 you get from Gamestop for trading in a $60 game is somehow "worth it".

phil_t98

#SonyToo

lreijnahdca5x4hqqkhd.gif

Anyways I bought countless physical copies cheaper than their digital counterparts by waiting for prices to drop or buying second hand.

yeah and when you "borrow the game" you can't play it as they have your copy, not great in this modern age

yeah and when you "borrow the game" you can't play it as they have your copy, not great in this modern age

Well it's better than handing over an account to them. Which also isn't great. But at least you can gift them a digital or physical copy.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
you sign in once, I even changed my password since and my mate doesn't know my password but the games still working on his console

Artistic

People still buy physical games? Why?

It isn't like music or movies, where I still purchase physical because the quality is higher, a "physical" game has to be installed onto a hard drive and thus becomes identical to the digital, except that you have to get up to change games (how archaic!).

Don't tell me that the $2 you get from Gamestop for trading in a $60 game is somehow "worth it".
Stopped trading in games to GameStop a long time ago.

Recently sold my XB1 copy of MW2019 for $25 on OfferUp. Paid $30 for it from GameFly. Works for me.

Games do usually depreciate really quickly the longer you hold on to them.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Game sharing is just a weird way of arguing lower prices. All I care about if what comes out of my wallet and 90% of the time physical is always cheaper for me. But maybe it's just where I live.

why is it weird? If you have a mate and you plan your purchases with your mate you spend less money? How hard is that to get roun, if you look
At 4 games you both want they buy 2 and you buy 2 but you both end up with 4 games. You have spent less money it’s easy

As much as id like to say yes, nd think i would, the truth of the matter is that ive been all digital via gog for my old games so push comes to shove id prob be fine with it. But would buy less most likely

WoJ

I wouldn't give it up, but I'd probably be primarly concerned about my backlog which spans generations. I generally avoid digital purchases until they are massively discounted. Like, I don't think I buy anything that isn't $10 or less digitally. That's probably how I'd game if it was all digital. If it's streaming I'm basically out and will just stick with my hundreds of games backlog.

why is it weird? If you have a mate and you plan your purchases with your mate you spend less money? How hard is that to get roun, if you look
At 4 games you both want they buy 2 and you buy 2 but you both end up with 4 games. You have spent less money it’s easy

Same can be done with physical copies but I don't factor that into the price. It's not like they split the price between you and your friend.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I guess the more important question - given that these poor decisions get largely pushed by bean counters - is: In an all digital console future do you expect to compensate by spending less (in relative terms) than you currently do with the big boy published games over a year?

For me, my spending will probably drop by 2/3rds or more. And if the percentage of the market that still want the option of ownership drops off buying AAA at release, and wait until games hit 1/3rd of their release price, I wonder if the market could still maintain the AAA production costs model it currently has.

The games industry is due another crash IMO, and my guess is that forcing persistent online check-in and removing physical ownership options - without the liberties of digital music - will trigger the next crash, with gamers devaluing the product in their minds because of the inferior deal/rights of ownership, and then vote with their wallets accordingly.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wouldn't. But I'd much prefer to do it like I do now, which is some physical and some digital.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I wouldn't give up, I'd be somewhat relieved as I'm running out of space for my collection.

Collecting for current-gen doesn't feel the same anymore, and given the fact that 98% of games don't come with manuals and are basically a key for a download it's not the same anymore.

I'll be able to focus on my retro gaming collection and just pick up the games I really want to play/gamepass.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mostly digital I don’t like swapping out disks but I will say this is me being nice, collecting video games is fun.

Going all digital is the least of my concerns about gaming, however it does facilitate all the stuff I hate (gaas, unfinished games, micro transactions, etc.)
Just to think if gaming is all digital. If you get an unfinished GAAS turd filled with microtransactions, DLC and glitches, you would most likely be stuck with it and lose your money.

Ehh no. Because I am not a manchild and realize that sooner or later we all be dead anyways and nothing is forever. Your physicial licenses won't matter in the long run.

Last edited:
Why anyone would give up gaming entirely just because the game is digital is beyond my ability to comprehend. It's fine to prefer physical over digital, but if digital is the only option you're just going to throw in the towel and never play a video game again? Major first world problems right there.
It’s because consumers will lose their rights. No option to sell or trade-in the game if you don’t like a disappointing, broken or boring game. No ownership of games. Higher prices with less sales meaning you are paying more money for games.

People are already complaining about $70 games. Imagine having to wait for $70 games to go on sale in the digital store. Not saying people need to give up gaming, but I don’t think they should be so open or nonchalant to companies having full control over our game purchasing options. You just know game companies are going to take full advantages of the customers.

ACESHIGH

Banned
If consoles were the only alternative to game I would give up gaming. Last (original) physical game I bought was Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Digital is great on PC. On consoles, not so much... too much power given to the walled garden owners there.

Saber

Gold Member
If all games became that way?
Yes.

Don't like the idea of nothing having my physical media, let alone allowing them to decide what to do with their games.

captainpat

Only physical games I've bought this gen are for my Switch and that's only because nintendo games never go on discounts.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm already full digital on Switch and PC, can't stay on a place for much so the less cluster the better so no changes for me... Tho I'd feel bad for those that care too much about physical

EDMIX

lreijnahdca5x4hqqkhd.gif

Agreed. I don't even fucking know why people thing that whole "sales" argument for digital even fucking makes sense, phyiscal games go on sale too folks and you can sell that shit when you are done, no different then I can sell a fucking game brand new, for $1.

Be like "waiting for the price to go down" the deep lolz, its always DOWN on used games, no fucking "waiting" I can sell any game I buy later on for any price I feel like it.

Its waiting for a sale

vs

used cheaper all the time

Where anyone got that the one that is limited to platform and based on a certain time of um "waiting" is better then used is beyond me. Used prices are always on average lower...ALL THE TIME, not simply some times and you can look around for a deal based on users who are selling or people you know personally, I've sold and gave away games many times that I was done with. Nothing will beat the disk in that regard.

Cheaper all the time, not some time.
Can be traded, given away, kept etc
ALSO has sales if someone wants it new lol

Agreed. I don't even fucking know why people thing that whole "sales" argument for digital even fucking makes sense, phyiscal games go on sale too folks and you can sell that shit when you are done, no different then I can sell a fucking game brand new, for $1.

Be like "waiting for the price to go down" the deep lolz, its always DOWN on used games, no fucking "waiting" I can sell any game I buy later on for any price I feel like it.

Its waiting for a sale

vs

used cheaper all the time

Where anyone got that the one that is limited to platform and based on a certain time of um "waiting" is better then used is beyond me. Used prices are always on average lower...ALL THE TIME, not simply some times and you can look around for a deal based on users who are selling or people you know personally, I've sold and gave away games many times that I was done with. Nothing will beat the disk in that regard.

Cheaper all the time, not some time.
Can be traded, given away, kept etc
ALSO has sales if someone wants it new lol

When I go shopping for a game I always look at prices of physical and digital copies. I almost always go physical unless for some reason there's a crazy sale on the digital copy that makes it a lot cheaper.

I get the advantages that digital has but price usually isn't one of them. Heck I've been looking at games from a pawn shop that has really cheap prices and the shop gives you a guarantee incase the game doesn't work. That copy of RDR2 for 10$ seems like it might be worth it.

chasimus

I have A PS5 Disc version and don't even buy games on disc. It's mainly for all the Blu-rays I have. Digital games are just more convenient to switch between when they're digital. And if there isn't a sale on a game I want I just wait till there is one. Helps me manage my games purchases that way!

LordOfChaos

No, which is obvious for me because I was practically there last gen already. I am trying to justify having spent a bit more for the disk drive PS5 because that was what was more easy to get in stock by buying a few disk games for it I can resell though lol

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It depends on whether or not full price games were still $60 or not along with whether or not other things like game pass came out for consoles.

Because if you tell me that everything has gone digital but I still have to pay the exact same price as I did when I bought a physical box and disc? And then you also tell me that the whole concept of The game pass is isolated to one console or is further limited in some way? You can fuck right off.

But if you tell me that the price for video games is the lowered due to the fact that they don't actually have to manufacture the physical game anymore or that the idea of a game pass service spreads to both consoles and beyond then I am 1000% on board.

MaulerX

Nope. I'm already all digital.

It took long enough for the gaming industry to finally catch up to the music and movie industries superior digital solutions.

-With digital I don't have to get up every time I want to swap games. Physical is stone age in this regard.

-With digital I can pre-download a game and play it exactly the second it launches. With physical you have to go to the store, buy the game, then come back home, then wait for it to install. Fuck that.

-With digital my family can play on two separate consoles within my household simultaneously (upstairs on home console and downstairs logged into my account) with the same purchase! Heck, my family can play on home console while I go to my friends house, log in, and play the same game I purchased (ONCE) simultaneously. There's zero way you can do that with a physical copy. ZERO.

wOs

Hell no. I get why people want physical media, but at this point I've been all digital for a couple years.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It’s because consumers will lose their rights. No option to sell or trade-in the game if you don’t like a disappointing, broken or boring game. No ownership of games. Higher prices with less sales meaning you are paying more money for games.

People are already complaining about $70 games. Imagine having to wait for $70 games to go on sale in the digital store. Not saying people need to give up gaming, but I don’t think they should be so open or nonchalant to companies having full control over our game purchasing options. You just know game companies are going to take full advantages of the customers.

I've had far more issues with physical than digital. Physical formats are easily damaged. Digital is there for as long as the platform is there. And most countries have laws in place to protect consumers from unscrupulous and predatory business practices. This is truly not the issue you're making it out to be. The billions-of-dollars gaming industry is going to be around for decades unless there is a calamitous event of some sort, and if that happens I'm sure gaming will be the least of our worries anyway.

Steam is that on xbox and playstation? Cuz i dont think it is. Consoles do NOT get those sales.

You can always move to a cheaper-in-the-long-run platform. Nobody is forcing you to stick with consoles. If one place starts to get expensive, move somewhere else. Or, and this is going to sound nuts, but bear with me... save up for the game you want on the platform you want. Honestly, gaming is a hobby, and every hobby is an unnecessary expense. You know what you're getting into when you first start the hobby. The prices between new and used is normally not that drastically different. And if streaming services like Xbox Game Pass end up being profitable in the long run then this becomes a non-issue anyway.

Both of you should keep in mind that everything I'm saying is merely my opinion. You're free to have your own opinions, I just happen to strongly disagree with them. I'm not trying to fight with you guys, I just am very vocal about my opinions. :)

Artistic

On a side note, I guess it's a blessing that the music industry still supports physical media. I haven't bought a CD in a couple of years due to space and streaming being such a better option, but it is nice to have that physical sometimes.

For me at least.

For console, yes. I could give a million excuses, but at the end of the day, I'm simply a purist that loves owning physical things.

But I do intend on getting a computer eventually to emulate old games, or maybe one of those emulation box things. I just can't justify paying the downright wacky prices of retrogaming nowadays.

i dont think i've bought more than 5 physical games in the last 2 gens. They are just coasters at this point. I only want physical games to continue for preservation purposes. Ideally game of the year editions with all DLC. Since more and more we are seeing games and their add-on content get delisted. And we are being left with incomplete games for the future.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Same can be done with physical copies but I don't factor that into the price. It's not like they split the price between you and your friend.

again short sightedness on your behalf, splitting the price, do you split the price when you lend your physica copy to a friend? No but if your game sharing you both get access to the game at the same time and can even play each other on the same game.

Top Bottom