• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Legacy Playstation console for BC?

Karmic Raze

No, I'm done with legacy stuff at this point. I'm interested in the new stuff these days.

Yeah, same here. PS3 games might be tolerable, but PS2 and PS1 games probably wouldn’t interest me like they did when they were first released. I’m on to that next shit, so just give me PS5 with PS4 backwards compatibility and I’ll be happy as a pea in a pod.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Man, a lot of people ready to write off some of the best games in existence, simply because they are "ready to move on" or "only care about the new."

I can't imagine a world without movies made further back than 10 years ago. Even more so with books. It's no different with games. Classics are classics and I treasure continued access to old favorites, as well as games that I missed back in the day.

Let’s just be clear on this:

You think MS have/are spending too much money on BC (which has literally zero impact on 1st party, btw. Two seperate divisions within Xbox, supporting BC =/= less or worse 1st party) but then you think Sony’s version of BC should be for people to give Sony more money for another legacy specific console!?

What the fuck, dude.

Agent X

Yes but we are talking about a catalog of 10000 games or more. What about licensing/testing for example.

Backward compatibility and emulation have been done numerous times throughout the years. Sony has been quite proficient at both of these in the past. We shouldn't be treating it as a lost art. PS2 and PS3 had excellent compatibility out of the box, and even the PS1 emulators on PSP and PS Vita were extremely well done.

I am sure many studios would not be happy to see their games being played without them making any profit.

I didn't hear many complaints from studios for backward compatibility on PS2/PS3, Wii/Wii U, or Xbox One.

If they want to sell new copies of old games, then they can make them available as digital downloads.

People who already own the old discs aren't as likely to repurchase the games as digital downloads anyway. Since they've got the old discs, it's highly likely they also already own an old system that they could play those games on. Might as well enable them to play those games with improvements and QOL features on new hardware. It would be a selling point for the hardware, and might encourage those people to buy digital downloads of other back catalog games.

What about games from studios that don't exist anymore.

Same as any other game. Enable existing discs to be playable on the newer systems, which would require no new licensing whatsoever. If some company wants to publish a digital download on the online store, then they can track down and negotiate the rights. This has already been accomplished by numerous companies on numerous platforms, including Sony during the PS3 era.

laynelane

I still have my PS2 and PS3 so I wouldn't be interested in that. I like having the option there to play older games, but I find myself rarely using it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If it had some upscaling features, internal drive and a nice controller I would. I hate memory cards and the older controllers now.

Fresh hardware would be nice too. I’m always worried my old stuff will die.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I think the reason Sony doesn't do BC is because they don't want to spend money on licensing and testing for all the games. So a legacy console will be just that. It would not have new enhancements or anything new. It would only allow you to play the games you have and that's it. What price would you pay for it?

Sony doesn't do BC because they "believe in generations" and think no one wants to play "ancient" games.

"When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much." Ryan added "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Pantz

Gold Member
Not really. I want a digital library of BC games from PS1-PS3 that they won't discontinue any time soon. Already have a fat PS3 to play physical discs. If the machine was more of an add-on that attached to the PS5 and was fully integrated into the store I'd be into it but I doubt something like that would ever happen.

Aion002

I still have all the playstations and all the games that I want to play again.... But I can't, because my backlog is too big.... So... Nope.

Too little time to play again older games these days...

RCU005

Sony doesn't do BC because they "believe in generations" and think no one wants to play "ancient" games.

I do believe Ryan about people not using it much. BC became a thing when Sony removed it on PS3. Not because people were using it, but because people got offended that they removed it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Or...they could just re:release the OG PS3 Phat :) (I have 2 still running :) )
The problem with that one was that it had the guts of the PS3 and the PS2, which made it crazy expensive; Sony was selling it at a significant loss. I wonder what it would cost to put one together these days, though, since the technology is so much older. I also wonder if we'll ever see something like an Analogue Super NT for these legacy disc systems.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

I personally probably would.

I regularly revisit generations and have always wanted a one stop place for them all. I have an old gaming rig that will run PS2 quite easily but PS3 emulation is a long way away and I have around two hundred games for it on my shelf. The idea of not having to keep breaking out my PS2/PS3 when I want to play them and have an officially licensed way of playing them would be cool.

Kdad

The problem with that one was that it had the guts of the PS3 and the PS2, which made it crazy expensive; Sony was selling it at a significant loss. I wonder what it would cost to put one together these days, though, since the technology is so much older. I also wonder if we'll ever see something like an Analogue Super NT for these legacy disc systems.
Yeah, i got the whole 2nd job to afford it the first time :) ... just would like a new built replacement before these give up the ghost haha

GonSama

I still have all my Playstations (all working just fine).
Just wanted to be able to play any game in one single console.
PS5 would be simply amazing if it could do that, but that's just a crazy dream :D

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sony can't do retro for shit. Look at their ps1 mini. Might as well run your games off a Vita/Ps3 or emulator.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nah, Playstation 5 should just programm some emulator which allows to play legacy stuff. All of it. And play it better.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Ever heard of emulators? Why in the F would I need to have several boxes besides the OG ones taking dust in my collection?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We don't take drugs around here.

We do them.

aytlVJi.gif

truth411

Since there are many people wanting Backwards Compatibility on PS5, would you buy a console dedicated exclusively for it?

What if Sony released a console or mini console in which you could play all your physical and digital PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, Would you buy it?

I think the reason Sony doesn't do BC is because they don't want to spend money on licensing and testing for all the games. So a legacy console will be just that. It would not have new enhancements or anything new. It would only allow you to play the games you have and that's it. What price would you pay for it?

I also think that licensing and testing is also the reason why Nintendo got rid of the Virtual Console.

To me, Microsoft is using too much money on BC, when I'd wish they used that money on new IPs from their studios. I'd prefer a remake than BC. I have wished for a full remake of Banjo-Kazooie for ages.

If it was your job to convince Sony to support BC what other ideas do you have so that they could approve?

They have one right now. Its the 60GB phat backwards compatible PS3. You have to buy it used.

Kdad

2 pffff?

I have 4 and a brand new sealed .....
Oh over the years i owned 7 different ps3 split between my son and i and two homes...sadly i couldn't afford to keep a new and sealed OG like that ! I do have a 120GB Slim still in its wrapper but its a pale imitation of the OG

A.Romero

I do have a PSOne and PS2 stored in boxes. Never use them because the experience is too clunky now (wired cables, for example) and using standard RCA cables is a pain in the ass.

Plugged to the TV a PS3 (slim, my OG was stolen) and PS4.

I'd pay for a BC console as long as:

- It had HDMI
- It rendered the games at higher rez a la OG PS3
- It had access to a online store
- It also lets me play (ideally install) from a disc
- I could use PS3/PS4/PS5 controllers

No interest in mini consoles at all.

Even better yet, I wish PS5 had the Xbox's BC capabilities. Even if I'm not really a fan of playing older games (my backlog is big enough as it is), having the option is nice. It's the strongest point in Xbox's offering IMO.

Tesseract

Banned
a ps2 w / digital store would be a lot of fun, especially with stuff like twisted metal black online and metal gear online

Ten_Fold

When it comes to old games I generally only want to play SEGA/Nintendo. Now I would rather Sony let me play my ps1-4 disc on the ps5. I feel that would give more value to the disc version.

Top Bottom