• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be the one to play a new Matrix game on the PlayStation 5?

Following the teaser trailer reveals for Project 007 and Indiana Jones, I was wondering if it meant we might see more movie games announced for the current console generation? Specifically, what kind of movie game would be the most interesting to see, that might leverage the capabilities of the PS5, and then I thought about the original Matrix movie. Remember that time when Keanu Reeves had shorter hair and no stupid facial hair and his character Neo was a hair's breadth away from getting killed by one of the Agents until he did his best limbo to avoid the bullets and it was groundbreaking? Well, it's been more than 20 years since the movie came out but I would imagine with the power of these new consoles - and especially taking into account the faster loading - that developers now have the opportunity to create a great Matrix game with realistic graphics.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the Matrix but I love me some bullet-time (the Max Payne games are highly replayable, in my opinion). That said, an exclusive Matrix game could be amazing to play with the advancements made in video game technology. What are your thoughts, GAF?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
56% chance of a Matrix game, people thought there would movie games and they never show up.

D3SCHA1N

I don't really have anything to say about the topic, it all went out the window upon the revelation that OP has an irrational level of disdain for facial hair. Also why would it be necessary to be ps5 exclusive?

baphomet

The Matrix sequels turned what could have been a fantastic world for movies and games into shit.

Not much sounds less fun than a game based around bullet time and The Matrix.

I don't really have anything to say about the topic, it all went out the window upon the revelation that OP has an irrational level of disdain for facial hair. Also why would it be necessary to be ps5 exclusive?
I just think Matrix Keanu Reeves looks better than John Wick/Cyberpunk Keanu Reeves.

Beelzebubs

I do kinda like the Meta idea of it being a VR game....

420bits

A new movie is coming so the chances of a new game coming are better than ever.
So is the chance of getting the worst Matrix since everything except the first.

2nd movie had some great actionscenes but was a bad movie
3rd movie was just plain bad.

Sense8 had some great things going but turned out to be a fuckfest most of the time.
I think that the matrix-triology should have been just the first movie without neo flying into the sky at the end, that would have made it a true masterpiece.

D3SCHA1N

I just think Matrix Keanu Reeves looks better than John Wick/Cyberpunk Keanu Reeves.
Well I would rather play as John Wick Keanu...

960x0.jpg

than Bill and Ted Keanu.

bill-ted-face-the-music-1595509948-1280x720.jpg

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

The Matrix is a Warner Bros. production, so it stands to reason if they made a game that it'd likely be made by a Warner Bros. studio. We haven't heard what Monolith has been up to since finishing the DLCs on Shadow of War have we? Also there is legitimately zero reason this hypothetical game wouldn't be a multi-platform release....

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would love a new Matrix game. I wouldn't care if it was based on the 1st movie, which was the best one

EruditeHobo

It's practically tailor-made to be the setting of a good video game... many video game concepts are built in to the mythology of the world.

I would play the hell out of a good-looking Matrix game. The sequels are inferior, but did a good job of expanding the world of the Matrix, and that could potentially be very useful/interesting when exploring a Matrix game.

Depends on the scope, production values, whether it's good or not and of course the studio.

But I like the franchise so I would absolutely keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The only good Matrix game has been Matrix Online.
OMG I was in alpha and beta test for that game. It was cool but ahead of it's time for the PCs available at that time and most of the community kind of sucked

Anyway I'd probably be in Day 1 for The Matrix on Series X.

Tschumi

I was nutso about Enter the Matrix.. it's aged really badly, but when i played it in the day it really was a fantastic adaptation of that green filtered, stylish, kind of ersatz world of matrix 2 in particular.. had great use of licensing, the guns weren't all that bad.. i enjoyed the levels and found them to be a good challenge... Yeah. If they make a new one I'd be interested, somehow i feel like something as successful as Jedi Fallen Order would give me good feels.

Larxia

I would totally love a new Matrix game with a gameplay similar to the old ones, but better.

The problem though is that I noticed that most people these days consider shooting gameplays with lock-on system bad, they see it as some kind of "easy mode", when it's really not the case at all.
I don't really understand why this way of thinking became a thing, but it really bothers me.
I think it's because so many games since the ps3/360 era started to focus on manual aim instead of auto lock systems, which led to cover based shooters that were created in the first place because aiming with a controller was too hard and using covers would allow you to prepare your next move... And people got used to that.

Lock-on systems can allow so much more, instead of focusing on your aim, you focus on your movements. If I can get a new Matrix, or John Wick, I really want something spectacular and super fast paced with great movements and traversal. I really don't want to play a Matrix game where you hide behind pillars while shooting at stuff. I want to shoot while running on walls and doing backflips and switching in real time between guns and melee, having combos etc, think something like Bayonetta (maybe not that crazy but you get the idea) but with a big focus on guns.

So yes, I would love a new game like that, but only if it's based on the fun / arcade view I described, not if it's a generic cover shooter.

MiguelItUp

The previous Matrix games were alright, and I feel like we could definitely see a new game with the new movie coming.

Hell, if the game looks good then I'm down.

Top Bottom