• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be ok with PS5/XSX versions being different like SNES/Genesis era?

RCU005

I was playing Aladdin from SNES using RetroArch and I noticed that when I was a kid, I never realized there were different versions of the same game for each console. In some cases, those differences are huge, like different design like Aladdin, to even different genre.

IMO, I think developers should do this today. Of course there wouldn't be a massive difference anymore, since both consoles are practically the same, but they shouldn't be afraid to deign the games according to each's strong features.

PS5 has the DualSense, so they should really take advantage of it 100% even if the gameplay or game mechanics differ a bit (like the DualSense has motion controls, so they could use gyro aiming while Xbox wouldn't have it. I am not very familiar with Xbox features, but of course they should do the same for it.

I think it wouldn't be very hard since it's more related to features than console capability. It's not like how they have to do massive changes to the game like they had to do with the Wii or even the Switch.

Also, I know that games that release everywhere like FIFA wouldn't have that kind of customization to each console, but for XSX and PS5 games they should do that.

I know that they already do some of it when it comes to performance and resolution, but they should also do for every feature of each console. Integrate the game fully with the OS (like PS cards on PS5 and quick resume on XSX) I'm sorry I'm really not familiar with Xbox. They should make a seamless experience on each console.

Microsoft and Sony should even require those things in every game. They want to give freedom to developers making it up to them, but of course that just mean that they'll ignore it if they can.

In PS5 case, Cards, tips and DualSense features should be required for every game.

People might think that parity is better, but I remember being very satisfied playing Aladdin on SNES, and I bet there's someone that will say they liked Sega's version better, but I don't think any of them felt ripped off. (I know there were versions that you would feel ripped off, but that's more of a quality issue).

What do you think?

Of course, that would be more games. But, with the costs of development and the similarities between platforms, that would never happen.

No, not these days. Way too costly most of the time, like TGO said, plus in terms of architecture designs while PS5 and Series X clearly have some differences, they are NOWHERE near the differentiation the MegaDrive and SNES had back in their day. Those were not just systems with highly different design philosophies and architectures, but also wholly unique upon them with no direct equivalents in the console, arcade, or microcomputer/PC space (even if if some cases they used popular processors of their day).

Most of any differences in multiplat games between Series X and PS5 will be in QoL features driven more by their respective OSes, like the cards example you mentioned or Quick Resume on Series X. Don't expect any drastic differences like there were with Aladdin on MegaDrive and SNES; there's just literally no factors at play to bring that about this gen.

Who cares except the 12 americans having both? People want PS5.
But yeah instead of one shit, we could get two for the price of two. how cool is that? 😂

The market for both should be very important for 2 versions of an AAA but shure it would be great. Remember when SEGA was making different versions of Sonic and how great, sometimes, they were? There were different versions mostly because the tech was different and games were made by many devs. Jurassic Park was a good exemple.

But that would mean exclusives... and internet told me exclusives are horrible. 😂

Nah, that will not happen, the machines are too similar, the toolset and modern graphics engine offer tons of scaling options, there is no real coding to the metal going on (at least very little). If they can scale down in a more or less acceptable manner all the way from the PS5/Series X to the xbox one and even the Switch, there is no reason to bother.

Also, many games, like all 2D or pseudo 2D games don't really need more or much more than a Switch (or even a PS360 would do a lot of times), they have even less reason to be modified.

D.Final

Banned
I was playing Aladdin from SNES using RetroArch and I noticed that when I was a kid, I never realized there were different versions of the same game for each console. In some cases, those differences are huge, like different design like Aladdin, to even different genre.

IMO, I think developers should do this today. Of course there wouldn't be a massive difference anymore, since both consoles are practically the same, but they shouldn't be afraid to deign the games according to each's strong features.

PS5 has the DualSense, so they should really take advantage of it 100% even if the gameplay or game mechanics differ a bit (like the DualSense has motion controls, so they could use gyro aiming while Xbox wouldn't have it. I am not very familiar with Xbox features, but of course they should do the same for it.

I think it wouldn't be very hard since it's more related to features than console capability. It's not like how they have to do massive changes to the game like they had to do with the Wii or even the Switch.

Also, I know that games that release everywhere like FIFA wouldn't have that kind of customization to each console, but for XSX and PS5 games they should do that.

I know that they already do some of it when it comes to performance and resolution, but they should also do for every feature of each console. Integrate the game fully with the OS (like PS cards on PS5 and quick resume on XSX) I'm sorry I'm really not familiar with Xbox. They should make a seamless experience on each console.

Microsoft and Sony should even require those things in every game. They want to give freedom to developers making it up to them, but of course that just mean that they'll ignore it if they can.

In PS5 case, Cards, tips and DualSense features should be required for every game.

People might think that parity is better, but I remember being very satisfied playing Aladdin on SNES, and I bet there's someone that will say they liked Sega's version better, but I don't think any of them felt ripped off. (I know there were versions that you would feel ripped off, but that's more of a quality issue).

What do you think?

I don't know
Different ages make people opinion more relevant than before

Not very much. I'm still considering wich console i'll buy, preferably when i could go to a shop and normaly buy it. By then i'll know exactly the one i like to buy. Or not.

Man the Gamepass is so fucking tempting. I just don't know anymore... One thing i know is that i'm not going to fight some random ass dude about getting a PS5.

I'll buy it when it's like you buy anything else?

D.Final

Banned
Not very much. I'm still considering wich console i'll buy, preferably when i could go to a shop and normaly buy it. By then i'll know exactly the one i like to buy. Or not.

Man the Gamepass is so fucking tempting. I just don't know anymore... One thing i know is that i'm not going to fight some random ass dude about getting a PS5.

I'll buy it when it's like you buy anything else?
Yes

The Game Pass is good

Oh, I think they did that for Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands! With at least 4 different versions from different developers, depending on the platform.
But PS3/360/PC were the same.
By the way, Aladdin too was made by different developers.
If a developer wants to utilize a console gimmick, it seems more relevant to make an exclusive, in order not to waste ressources in those different versions.

sn0man

I kinda do not want that. Back in the 1990s there were quite a lot less games and you could experience most of the consoles and PC between renting, visiting a friends house, and just being into gaming.

Now games are just so much more numerous that it would be quite difficult to experience everything. I like parity personally.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't like the cost of trying to acquire both versions, but I do sort of gravitate to the idea of each one having something unique at the same time.......

Esppiral

That would be awesome, more reasons to own both machines and the opportunity to play 2 different games of your favourite franchise, sadly those years are gone.

Shifty1897

Games are much bigger and much more expensive to make than back in the SNES/Genesis era, where dev teams were 10 people.

Making different versions for each console rather than make one good game and port it doesn't make sense economically. Especially now that x86 architecture is on both consoles, so they're literally just PC's at this point.

cool idea but now the real question.

Which version of Aladdin is the best one??
I have no idea. All I know is that I had a blast beating Aladdin SNES, whereas I unsuccessfully tried to like the other one.

Edit: I forgot the awesome Master System version! Too short but I enjoyed it way more than the Mega Drive version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom