• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be interested in a Linux OT?

Would you be interested and participate in a Linux OT?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hello!

This poll is to gauge the community's interest in creating an OT for all things linux, open source and so on.

Long gone the days of "linux desktop" meaning recompiling your OS every morning before starting your day, these days Linux offers a compelling alternative for those who:

- Do not trust MS or Apple to always have your best interests at hand
- Go beyond the mandated and two corp owned walled gardens
- Want to PC game but don't want to be under Microsoft's watch (oh yeah, you can PC game on Linux now, Valve has been doing investments in this regard see https://www.protondb.com/ for details)
- Rehabilitate and repurpose "outdated" hardware
- Want a user interface that works for them and are willing to tinker to get there
- Are interested in extreme desktop/ui ricing
- Are curious about becoming more familiar with a tool used in IT environments
- Experiment with new form factors
- And so on.

So this is what this thread is about: if enough of you vote Yes, we'll open up the OT and have a grand old party in there. We'll talk DE's, gaming, distros, issues affecting the FOSS community (like the recent CENTOS drama) and yes even terminal commands.

note to MODS: because of potentially being of interests to both gamers and non gamers, this is being posted on gaming and offtopic and it's been cleared with forum Ownership

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
sounds good, i've experimented with various distros for a few decades

i use manjaro and pac to pull arch repos on a lappy, allows me to repackage things / tap into hardware without much restriction

pop is aight, garuda for fault tolerance

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
sounds good, i've experimented with various distros for a few decades

i use manjaro and pac to pull arch repos on a lappy, allows me to repackage things / tap into hardware without much restriction

pop is aight, garuda for fault tolerance

Being a noobie I run pop, now that you mention it. I got it recommended because hardware compatibility with nvidia laptops was something they’re known for.

belmarduk

Not personally but I would say go for it. It would be great to have a thread for that here. I'm sure many people would be interested in posting in it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
For this reason alone I think it’s a good idea, especially when it comes to news about privacy and linux distros on smartphones.

Absolutely.

There's even a linux laptop vendor that freely allows you to put your device on HAP mode.

For those who don't know about it, since 2008 Intel has shipped all their CPUs with a little minicomputer that is always on, even if the computer is "OFF", as long as there's power available. It's the infamous Intel Management Engine. This thing has full unrestricted access to your memory and so on, so it's been a point of worry for many. For special buyers like the government, Intel allows to set the management engine to a special, restricted mode. Researchers found a way to get into that but on normal storebought computers is a tricky thing.Thanks to the open source community, you can now buy laptops with your IME set to "government mode".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom