• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be a fan of if Sony and Marvel had a license deal for all Marvel games to be published by Sony

hlm666

If your not using Sony's first party devs whats the point, your still just gonna end up with shit. Like taking a drink from a river down stream from a sewer outlet, drinking from the other side of the river aint gonna stop you drinking shit.

Tutomos

Yes, Sony knows how to make 3rd person action adventure games. Marvel can publish most of it on other platforms like MLB.

Spidey doesn’t resonate with me. Looks amazing, plays well enough. Finished original and morales. But as you say, it’s too light, too popcorn. Just like the films.

The Rocksteady Batman’s had the mood and right mix of bizzare.
I definitely get your point. Normally I like darker stuff a lot more as well. But because of Spider-Man's charm and nostalgia, I still like it.

Also, as I get older (I sound super old right now but I haven't hit 30 yet), I do find myself gravitate towards games like Rachet & Clank and Kena more and more. These are the type of games I wouldn't have cared for a few years ago.

GymWolf

Well i'm not a superhero nut like many people, but spiderman is my favourite superhero game (i mean besides infamous saga) and it was made by sony, so why not...

At least they are gonna be more polished than the shitshow that was avengers or arkham knight at launch...

Just please use a combat system that is not another fucking iteration of free flow from arkham saga this time.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
what the fuck? don't even think about that shit. if i were your father, you would be going to your room right about now!

A Marvel Vs PlayStation developed by Capcom.
No.

I'd rather have Capcom develop a game with its own IP. Create a Marvel vs Capcom sequel without Marvel/Disney meddling into shit.

Hell, first thing Capcom should do with a renewed license is release the CPS-2 Marvel games on a collection, since they're currently trapped on the Saturn as the only viable home versions.

Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate was so fucking ugly, but the previous MvC games were awesome, so I'd keep making Marvel Vs Capcom games.
While I agree the game is kind of "ugly," it still plays decently well.

The bigger crime is the blatant MCU-centric roster, and the biggest sin of all: Missing the X-Men.

LMAO, the series *started* with the X-Men. How are you going to have a Capcom developed Marvel game without the X-Men!? .... (Joke) maybe they got tired of Magneto being top tier in any game he shows up in, lol.

GodofWhimsy

I'd be a fan purely because it pushes the other platforms to compete harder. I'd imagine in the current market Marvel exclusivity would be a HUUUUUUUGE get.

Could we see a push from Microsoft to aquire the rights to more DC properties? Would they create more original super hero content to fill that Marvel shaped hole? How would Nintendo react to this? They've seemed to have a good relationship with Marvel in the past.

zaanan

Banned
I have to admit, Insomniac seemed like a shit choice for Spiderman to me when it was announced. But as it turns out, they are great at that vibe (RnC should have been a big clue I guess). Disney’s ROI on Spiderman has to have been pretty damn good, maybe the best ever Marvel-wise, so I think Sony has earned the right to try their hand at a couple more comics.

I feel like Sucker Punch could do a great job with the X-Men (Wolverine, Magneto, and Deadpool in particular, if they were allowed to get really dark and bloody), and maybe Fantastic Four. I would like to play as Venom, Carnage, and Morbius in a darker Insomniac take on Spiderman. My pipe dream would be for Sony to buy Rocksteady and put their Batman expertise into a Cap game, especially if they went all Kirbyesque with it. Or Sony could start small- how about Jonah Hex or Devil Dinosaur? So many possibilities!

Three

Not with there output. They do 2 or so big games a year so they would all be marvel and nothing else? Pass.
As oppossed to?

They pump out more games than most other publishers.

Insomniac released 2 spiderman games within a gap of 2 years.

Last edited:

Metnut

Not a fan of capeshit/marvel/DC. Would rather Sony spend money elsewhere, hopefully on new IP.

Last edited:

Fbh

No.

If they use their internal studios: I'd rather have those studios working on their own unique IP's instead of comic book stuff. Insomniac with Spiderman is enough, I don't need Naughty Dog, Sony Bend and Santa Monica to also work on Marvel stuff

If they use external studios: What's there to gain for me as a consumer? Just make them multiplatform.

wvnative

Yes, not because I wish to take away those games from others but because I know we'd get quality games and not shit like the Avengers.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As oppossed to?

They pump out more games than most other publishers.

Insomniac released 2 spiderman games within a gap of 2 years.

Well one game and a short spin off but what ever…

Rather have stuff like GoW and Uncharted then all there studios pumping out 2 marvel games a year total, what else can I say?

spawn

I think marvel games would go well with Sony's philosophy of making great single player experiences where other publishers like square enix, EA, and Activison would be more interested in milking those IP's with microtransactions

NahaNago

For single player games then sure I would let Sony make all of them into some new marvel universe but I wouldn't allow Sony to be the only ones to make all marvel game. I'd let Capcom have another crack at a fighting game but with access to all of the marvel characters. I'd let EA make some microtransaction game. Plus let some other developer make all of the marvel mobile games.

Last edited:

yurinka

The bigger crime is the blatant MCU-centric roster, and the biggest sin of all: Missing the X-Men.

LMAO, the series *started* with the X-Men. How are you going to have a Capcom developed Marvel game without the X-Men!? .... (Joke) maybe they got tired of Magneto being top tier in any game he shows up in, lol.
Yep. I'd avoid the MCU, I'd include of course the X-Men characters and would also go back to the -even in 3D- animeish artstyle of the first games of the series (MvsC1 and previous ones).

I hated to see that 'realistic' Chun-Li on crack.

Last edited:
Yep. I'd avoid the MCU, I'd include of course the X-Men characters and would also go back to the -even in 3D- animeish artstyle of the first games of the series (MvsC1 and previous ones).

I hated to see that 'realistic' Chun-Li on crack.
Chun's face in that game is scarier than any Resident Evil game ever released 😂

Of course I concur about going back to previous art styles. I'm a huge Capcom fan, and the art style for practically their entire CPS-2 library is fantastic.

yurinka

Chun's face in that game is scarier than any Resident Evil game ever released 😂

Of course I concur about going back to previous art styles. I'm a huge Capcom fan, and the art style for practically their entire CPS-2 library is fantastic.
Same here, I'd prefer CPS2 or CPS3-like sprites, but as today it doesn't seem realistic. But even if in 3D, I'd try to follow the ARC way of making animeish artstyle, inspired by the artstyle of their CPS2 games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With the success of Spiderman, Miles Morales and even Iron Man VR what if Sony made a deal with Marvel where they can use all their IPs in exchange for some money or part of the deal with having Spiderman in the MCU.

With a lot of flops from Marvel games including Avengers and Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite maybe this would be a good idea from both parties.

Sony can leverage their IPs and they don't even need to use their own internal studios. You can have Sony publish a Doctor Strange game developed by Remedy. A Marvel Vs PlayStation developed by Capcom. A Wolverine game developed by Team Ninja. A Black Panther game developed by Platinum Games and etc.

They'll really flourish, especially that they're partners on movies as well:

Jaxcellent

No, I hope Disney wises up and will go the Starwars licencing route so more studio's can participate and thus there will be passion projects hopefully that will be great.

I understand these licencing fees can be quite steep though. So lets hope they won't make the classic mistake of paying to much for the license and had too less recourses available to make it a good game.

killatopak

Gold Member
Narratively driven game then yes.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Marvel Vs., and character action type of game? I think other devs can do better.

Marvel’s current action of licensing it to specific devs seems to be done well, Avengers withstanding.

Top Bottom