• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you accept an AI generated game?

Would you want AI generated entertainment to take over in the future?

• Total voters
An AI (like those conversaton engines) is made out of experiences of people typing into it and learning right? By that logic, once it gets advanced enough, it should also know how to give the unexpected answer. That means that, eventually, an AI would understand how to give twists you don't see coming, and both complexity or nuance to a given story point.

A legit, near sci-fi level AI would make the best games of all time, and it wouldn't take 5-7 fucking YEARS to do it like some of these devs. Hell ya, I'd take an AI for my games. Give them Silent Hill. Twists, symbolism, depth and all. They're probably the only ones who could meet my expectations at this point tbh.
Hell yeah. Hook yourself up to a biofeedback machine that tracks your reaction to the game, and the game paces according to your physiological ups and downs.

Valve did this for Half life 2 testing way back when, I believe, but in this case it could be individualized and immediately reactive

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Depends on the type game, but yeah why not?

Driving games could have their tracks being AI generated. Same with arcade games and their levels, enemy and shooting patterns, and... How about DOOM levels? Those are 2D, so I guess it wouldn't be too hard for an AI to generate some that are fun to play.

Hell yeah. Hook yourself up to a biofeedback machine that tracks your reaction to the game, and the game paces according to your physiological ups and downs.

Valve did this for Half life 2 testing way back when, I believe, but in this case it could be individualized and immediately reactive
God, the more I think about this, the cooler it is. Take a horror game for example. You would anticipate the scares, so your heart rate would go up, but the game knows that the most intense response (which it's trying to achieve) comes from surprising you when you least expect it, so the scare doesn't come just then. But you also know the AI is doing this, so you keep thinking, "I'll stay alert. That way it can't get the better of me." But no one can do that forever. PRECISELY when you let your guard down is when it attacks

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Looking at a zillion tagged pictures and using that to generate a new picture based on a prompt is pretty amazing.

Writing software that works and does what you want it to do…. That is like orders of magnitude more complex. I’ll believe it when I see it.

When/if we ever reach that point, pretty much all human cognitive work will be obsolete and nobody will pay you shit to write software anyway.

Trogdor1123

I’m not opposed to it if it is good and it could allow for entirely custom games 100% tailored to you and your wants. That could make for some interesting stuff.

Pejo

Depends on the genre and the game, I guess, but creative and purposeful level design are two of the most important details in a game to me, so I generally hate most "procedurally generated" stuff. I don't see how an AI would be able to quantify what makes a good level design from a bad.

Tumle

Looking at a zillion tagged pictures and using that to generate a new picture based on a prompt is pretty amazing.

Writing software that works and does what you want it to do…. That is like orders of magnitude more complex. I’ll believe it when I see it.

When/if we ever reach that point, pretty much all human cognitive work will be obsolete and nobody will pay you shit to write software anyway.
https://openai.com/blog/openai-codex/ its in the beginning stages :)

H4ze :
Naw man, there are things an AI should not be allowed to make, like art.

Spoiler: Games are art.
its still making images, by getting prompts from human beings, its not making anything on its own.
It's just another tool that makes art more democratised..

Last edited:

whyman

2039… I think we will have fully AI made games as soon as 2028. Don’t think AAA, more like AA and probably 2D. With 3D generation probably coming later this year it could go faster.

RyRy93

Some people seem to be looking at it from the angle that AI is kinda janky at the moment so no, a highly advanced AI could theoretically do the work of the worlds best games designers in a fraction of the time repeatedly, these games could then be iterated upon by human developers if necessary.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This is cool, but there is a huge difference between some simple html/JavaScript game that’s like someone’s CS project, vs a massive project with many different interacting components, abstraction layers, complex or ambiguous requirements that need to be elaborated, debugging, unit testing, integration testing, regression testing….

So yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. I am not convinced that AI will be able to do that any time soon.

Holammer

ogxmmj2vwb581.jpg

Banned
AI will eventually be able to help with gigantic titles.

the manpower needed to create complex maps that are the size of a small city is astronomical. simply creating a town with a population of 20k would be almost impossible today.
and by that I mean the full and complete town with fully modelled houses and apartments that are all traversable.

with an advanced AI that learned how a house has to be built and how furniture is usually placed, or where people leave random everyday objects lying around, you could realise a realistic feeling and looking town without any artificial boundaries to hide the fact that most of it is just the exterior with nothing inside.

now imagine an actual city, a metropolis the size of an actual big city. that would be literally impossible for any human dev team to create as a fully realised virtual space... but if they only have to create certain important spots and the general layout of the city, and then let an AI fill the gaps... now you got the potential for a groundbreaking game.

and with modern data streaming tech and storage space available, I think the limiting factor for such a game is not the actual hardware anymore at all. it's the human factor that limits the scope of games these days.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nope. Only thing I can accept is procedurally generated dungeons like in Diablo 2. Other than that a human touch is required and not only to accept what a machine has created.

Last edited:

mxbison

Why not? We already have lots of procedural generation in games, if anything a good AI would make it better.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
AI will eventually be able to help with gigantic titles.

the manpower needed to create complex maps that are the size of a small city is astronomical. simply creating a town with a population of 20k would be almost impossible today.
and by that I mean the full and complete town with fully modelled houses and apartments that are all traversable.

with an advanced AI that learned how a house has to be built and how furniture is usually placed, or where people leave random everyday objects lying around, you could realise a realistic feeling and looking town without any artificial boundaries to hide the fact that most of it is just the exterior with nothing inside.

now imagine an actual city, a metropolis the size of an actual big city. that would be literally impossible for any human dev team to create as a fully realised virtual space... but if they only have to create certain important spots and the general layout of the city, and then let an AI fill the gaps... now you got the potential for a groundbreaking game.

and with modern data streaming tech and storage space available, I think the limiting factor for such a game is not the actual hardware anymore at all. it's the human factor that limits the scope of games these days.
I’m not a game dev myself but I wonder how much if this is already being done. Using procedural generation to rapidly produce a bunch of assets.

I remember for Oblivion, Bethesda talked about using some software that simulated the way forests formed to help build the game’s terrain. Doesn’t seem like much of s stretch to do something like that in real time nowadays

Banned
I’m not a game dev myself but I wonder how much if this is already being done. Using procedural generation to rapidly produce a bunch of assets.

I remember for Oblivion, Bethesda talked about using some software that simulated the way forests formed to help build the game’s terrain. Doesn’t seem like much of s stretch to do something like that in real time nowadays

procedural generation is based on a human made algorithm tho, with assets made by developers and then semi-randomly placed down.

what I'm talking about is assets like textures, meshes and materials, and layouts made by an AI based on what the AI learns from real world examples and examples made by humans.

if you train an AI like that, eventually it should be able to create whole skyscrapers with full interiors that no human actually touched, all of the office spaces and all the assets within them made entirely through machine learning.

the hard part will be to train such an AI as you would need thousands of examples for it to work properly I think

Reallink

Asset generation is inevitable in the very near future (3-10 years), AI will make every object, texture, environment, and character you see in videogames. Human "artists" won't do anything but feed it the prompts, apply a recursive preference rating, and choose from the options it spits out. It'll probably be included in UE6, which is why Epic keeps buying up asset farms and libraries. Gameplay, story, controls, and design mechanics are much further out, if they're ever practical at all for AI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom