• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
No, don't give a shit about virtual medals

People that care way too much about trophies/achievements:
cover1.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've never bothered with achievements. I must be old, because after all these years I still don't see the point in them.

So, no. I couldn't give a shit if they were added or not.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I rather see them add something to indicate finishing the game. I don't have interest in grind kill 200000 certain bad guys with certain gun and ammo to unlock shit. It's a waste of my time if the achievements don't come from naturally playing the game screw it.

nivix

Neo Member
Yes, but I'd like to see an overhaul or update to both achievements and trophies. I'd like to see them experiment with some sort of meta point system in which the points you receive are determined by the popularity of the game and the rarity/difficulty of the achievement/trophy. I think that could be interesting.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well, you actually can earn 50 points per day if you get one achievement. Complete enough of the rewards in a month, and you can earn free months of Game Pass regularly. I think I've earned about 5 free months this year, just by playing
The current reward system on a whole requires way too much work or alternatively money, in order to earn anything worthwhile.

The current reward system on a whole requires way too much work or alternatively money, in order to earn anything worthwhile.
Money? What money are you talking about? You don't need to spend a dime on rewards.
Too much work? You literally can sign in to the game pass app and turn on one game per day, and you'll earn points just for that. Plenty of rewards just for getting achievements or playing a small amount of a game.

Yes, but I'd like to see an overhaul or update to both achievements and trophies. I'd like to see them experiment with some sort of meta point system in which the points you receive are determined by the popularity of the game and the rarity/difficulty of the achievement/trophy. I think that could be interesting.
PS DID overhaul the trophy system though, and they DO weight the trophies based on rarity. A platinum trophy or gold trophy will give you more progress towards leveling up your account.

BigLee74

Achievements. So absolutely pointless. I never really actively hunt them, and yet playing a game without them now feels totally empty - to the point where I couldn’t enjoy the BC o.g. Xbox games that were released on Gold.

I am pathetic.

It doesn't really matter to me these days because I don't try to get every single achievement/trophy.

I enjoy seeing it pop-up and the sound it makes for doing something, but it's been a while since I looked at the list and tried to do certain tasks. I'd rather just play the game without worrying about it.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I used to care about achievements back in the Xbox 360 days, but then after seeing achievements being time-sensitive, Xbox introducing time-limited challenges, achievements connected to multiplayer in which servers going down, multiple iterations of achievements for different regions, I gave up.
It looked more like a chore and destroyed any type of incentive. They mutilated what achievements should have been. Now when I play the game I don't give a shit about 100% of it. It's just not worth the accumulative grind.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Money? What money are you talking about? You don't need to spend a dime on rewards.
Too much work? You literally can sign in to the game pass app and turn on one game per day, and you'll earn points just for that. Plenty of rewards just for getting achievements or playing a small amount of a game.
You get rewards for purchases. I wasn’t saying it’s hard to earn points, but rather it is tedious to do all the things you need to do to actually earn enough points to be worthwhile.

You get rewards for purchases. I wasn’t saying it’s hard to earn points, but rather it is tedious to do all the things you need to do to actually earn enough points to be worthwhile.
Yeah, but they are not required to earn rewards. I haven't spent a dime on those rewards, and I still earn plenty of points.
If merely playing games is "tedious" to you, then why do you play games at all.

Every time I hear Platinum it just reminds me of those 2nd hand platinum collection games you'd see so I associate it with 2nd hand. So NO THNKX!

:D

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Maybe if I could get a platinum without playing online. Otherwise, don’t care.
I don't like online trophies either. If I see them on the list then I don't bother.

I have 669/700 achievements/trophies for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. The 31 achievements/trophies I am missing are all multiplayer achievements/trophies, and I am putting zero effort into obtaining them.

Topher

Gold Member
^
someone with a case of micropenis, confirmed. People are allowed to have their opinions. Sorry that gets you so offended.

I get you like penises. You do you. But yeah, I can express my opinion just as much as you can and that's what I did. If you can't take it then don't dish it out.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking about Platinum Trophies and whether or not Xbox will ever implement something similar, Xbox's director of project management Jason Ronald, confirmed Xbox has heard the feedback and it's something he and others at Xbox have had at the top of their minds.

"We've definitely heard that feedback," said Ronald. "Achievements are an interesting one because everybody plays games differently. So we really think about, how do we reward people for playing the way that you want to, and the games that you want to? There are some players who just prefer to play multiplayer. What are we doing to reward them and show progression and things like that? There are other people who like to play tons of different games, so how do we go ahead and respect that investment? And then there are other people like myself where I'm a completionist and I literally want to complete everything within a game. So, it's a balance and it's definitely an area that we've heard some feedback on. Nothing to announce today, but definitely top of mind for us as we look to the road ahead."

Speaking about Platinum Trophies and whether or not Xbox will ever implement something similar, Xbox's director of project management Jason Ronald, confirmed Xbox has heard the feedback and it's something he and others at Xbox have had at the top of their minds.

"We've definitely heard that feedback," said Ronald. "Achievements are an interesting one because everybody plays games differently. So we really think about, how do we reward people for playing the way that you want to, and the games that you want to? There are some players who just prefer to play multiplayer. What are we doing to reward them and show progression and things like that? There are other people who like to play tons of different games, so how do we go ahead and respect that investment? And then there are other people like myself where I'm a completionist and I literally want to complete everything within a game. So, it's a balance and it's definitely an area that we've heard some feedback on. Nothing to announce today, but definitely top of mind for us as we look to the road ahead."

They should integrate the new Museum into the console UI, it looks great I just can’t get it to work on any browser phone or even Series X with edge/bing

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I there is any one thing I would do to ”fix” Xbox Achievements, it is splitting them into sections. For example, with Uncharted Collection, each game has its own list. Each list also has sub-lists for DLC or add ons. These help split up what is in the base game and what is only obtainable via DLC. I would love to see something similar for Xbox.

I there is any one thing I would do to ”fix” Xbox Achievements, it is splitting them into sections. For example, with Uncharted Collection, each game has its own list. Each list also has sub-lists for DLC or add ons. These help split up what is in the base game and what is only obtainable via DLC. I would love to see something similar for Xbox.

That’s been requested a ton in the Xbox insider /preview program. Personally I don’t care much for platinum, separating the DLC i would like to see most.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
That’s been requested a ton in the Xbox insider /preview program. Personally I don’t care much for platinum, separating the DLC i would like to see most.

Yep. Even if you don’t particularly care about achievements, it just makes for a cleaner UI overall. Plus if you *do* care, it makes going for them all a lot easier. You can easily see what is needed instead of just in one single long list.

Though I will say, I do miss the classic grid from the Xbox 360. I found that to be infinitely better than this list system. Wish they would bring it back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom