• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
I like trophy hunting on PlayStation and I know a lot of other PlayStation gamers do as well. For me it is all about going after the Platinum Trophy. Either I'm getting all the trophies for a game in order to get the Platinum or I don't bother at all. It is just an additional all-or-nothing challenge in a game with a cool payoff in the end. Seeing the Platinum Trophy pop up on the PlayStation screen is really kind of awesome. And being able to see the Platinum Trophy broken out separately in my profile is cool as well. Often times, I'll choose PS to play a game over other platforms just for that challenge.

That is something I really would love to see on Xbox. A Platinum Trophy equivalent. An achievement that is broken out from the rest that shows off many how many times you've gotten 100% of achievements. Matter of fact, I've seen this discussed by other Xbox fans elsewhere. One person on resetera proposed giving it a very Xbox-ish name: The Master Achievement (poor guy was banned. shocker). That's a brilliant play on Master Chief. Would love to see it personally. Jez Corden agrees. What would it hurt? If folks like me would be attracted to play games on Xbox for something like this then why not?

So the poll is just a simple question. Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I play games the way I want them to play. I don’t care about forced and artificial challenges imposed by achievements. Platinum or not.

Example: I’m playing trough Max Payne 3 at the moment and there’s achievement to do 100 melee takedowns. The game is clearly not designed for hand to hand combat. You maybe will get 4-5 takedowns in one playtrough. I can’t imagine replaying a specific section of the game over and over again just to get that. That’s insanity.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The achievement system was fine until they started adding new ones and it got out of hand with the numbers. IIRC correctly it was 1000 for the main game first and then 250 for each DLC. There was some sort of a structure behind it. Then with mini DLCs and GaaS it sort of lost that structure and became a complete mess. Think it was one of the reasons I stopped cheevo hunting back in the days.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes but I’m glad they don’t.

I’m a completionist on PlayStation because I’m a trophy hunter. Nearly got 50. It’s a blessing and a curse lol.

I sort of like that, but I also like that on Nintendo and Xbox I just don’t give a fuck and can play without them in mind.

KRYPT83

Yes instead Xbox could simply add a patch to your profile home page when you complete a game, they started it with stuff like getting that gears of war gamerpic for unlocking seriously, atleast do that because a endless number system is redundant and pointless. It would be easy to convert your gamerscore into a gamer level and add patch page for completed games.

T-Cake

I think what they should do is make achievements = reward points. So for every achievement you earn, you get the equivalent number of points in Microsoft rewards. It would probably cost way too much to backdate it. Or it may be that 100 achievement points = 1 reward point for that purpose. It's the only way I'd probably care about achievements.

I think what they should do is make achievements = reward points. So for every achievement you earn, you get the equivalent number of points in Microsoft rewards. It would probably cost way too much to backdate it. Or it may be that 100 achievement points = 1 reward point for that purpose. It's the only way I'd probably care about achievements.
I still remember the Steam sale where getting certain achievements would earn you DLC rewards and small games. Plenty of people bought games just to get those achievements. Now that was fun but it didn't work out because the system is too easy to game on PC. If faking achievements is harder to do on Xbox I'd love to see something like that.

skit_data

It doesn’t have differently ranked achievments? I always thought it was pretty much the same as the trophy system with a different name…

I love platinum trophies, I’ve made sure to platinum most of my favourite games last gen. It feels good seeing it pop and feel that you really finished pretty much everything the game can possibly offer.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I try and get away from all this shit so not bothered. It's weird how they group everything on xbxo though. Like they don't have the 1000/1000 as a completion, they just bundle everything into one game (w/ DLC) so I can see like 960/1150 when I'm only 40 from the 100% of the base game. Makes it easier to not get bogged down tbh

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I would like an option on whether or not I want to have trophies / achievements enabled for certain games or all games to be fair.

Doesn't help the OCD itch to see a game on 1% when you've tried something and pressed start and not liked it then its forever stuck in your library on 1% or something.

K2D

Banned
Achievements and especially trophies are a distraction and an eyesore to me.

Poor implementation in my favorite games and arbitrary replays to 100% are some additional grudges I have with the phenomenon.

Midn1ght

I voted yes but I play on PC and would like the equivalent for Steam Achievements.

I'm a completionist as well and it kinda sucks that you need to get all the achievements for a game to count as perfect.
For example, Days Gone Platinum Trophy require 46 trophies on PS which you can get in one playthrough.
On Steam, you need to get all 61 Achievements to count as perfect, including challenges and New Game + which require another playthrough.
Giving a Diamond Valve Achievement similar to the Platinum trophy would be awesome. Oh, and since I'm at it, the ability to have a sound when you get an achievement would be nice too.

And finally, if someone used SAM (Steam Achievement Manager), put a big shameful red notice on their profile (Similar to VAC Ban).

God Damn cheaters.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

That would be nice, but either way is fine to me. I already prefer achievements over trophies. Something about the sound and visual animation gets the dopamine going.

Shut0wen

I like trophy hunting on PlayStation and I know a lot of other PlayStation gamers do as well. For me it is all about going after the Platinum Trophy. Either I'm getting all the trophies for a game in order to get the Platinum or I don't bother at all. It is just an additional all-or-nothing challenge in a game with a cool payoff in the end. Seeing the Platinum Trophy pop up on the PlayStation screen is really kind of awesome. And being able to see the Platinum Trophy broken out separately in my profile is cool as well. Often times, I'll choose PS to play a game over other platforms just for that challenge.

That is something I really would love to see on Xbox. A Platinum Trophy equivalent. An achievement that is broken out from the rest that shows off many how many times you've gotten 100% of achievements. Matter of fact, I've seen this discussed by other Xbox fans elsewhere. One person on resetera proposed giving it a very Xbox-ish name: The Master Achievement (poor guy was banned. shocker). That's a brilliant play on Master Chief. Would love to see it personally. Jez Corden agrees. What would it hurt? If folks like me would be attracted to play games on Xbox for something like this then why not?

So the poll is just a simple question. Would Xbox Achievements interest you more if they had a Platinum Trophy equivalent?
What would be the point in this? Achievements and trophies are exactly the same thing, achievements have a percentage of players that obtained said achievement so i guess getting an achievement which is below 1% would be the equivalent of a platinum trophy, that said i dont really care for achievements or trophies

EDIT
Just remembered some achievements come with a diamond icon and a different noise effect guess this is xbox version of a platinum

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They dont have a platinum equivalent?

I use to like Playstations number/level up system but its totally ruined now. Makes no sense.
I was like a level 15/16 and suddenly I went to 250 something…

Now I just aim to get Platinums on games I really like. The only one I havent is MGS5 and Last of Us 1. Latest one Im getting is Death Stranding Directors Cut

Y0ssarian

Banned
Nah, I don't chase achievements and the gamer score is pretty much meaningless. The best player of Halo I've ever played with has a gamer score of 17K and he's been playing Xbox Live since halo 2

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Terrible idea. You tie achievements to monetary value you will end up with massive cheaters and breaking of the system.

Shmunter

The race to 10,000 with friends on the 360 was quite the ride. Post that, never gave a toss - about any of them

Yes. It's the reason I ignore Xbox achievements. I can go for 100% achievement competition, but when dlc that I dont want to play comes out, I lose that 100%.

With trophies you lose that 100% too, but it's the platinum that counts, and you don't lose that.

T-Cake

Terrible idea. You tie achievements to monetary value you will end up with massive cheaters and breaking of the system.

I have no idea how you cheat the achievements though when it's tied to an online profile? I could think of having multiple profiles and replaying the same games but MS already ban people who have more than one rewards account. Besides they already do something similar to this periodically where you can earn 10,000 points by getting achievements to the same amount.

Last edited:

MikeM

Its a good difference between both systems. PS tries to incentivize completing games with the Platinum, whereas Xbox is like “get them all or not- your score won’t reflect it. Just play the game and score hunt if you want.”
Its something I notice right away. When I game on PS, I actively check out the trophy list and see what I need to collect and if the platinum is viable for how I play (I never let trophies dictate how I want to play tho- another convo entirely). Xbox is the opposite. I just play and let the achievements pop.
Whichever one is “better” depends on the user.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

MS is about the gamerscore milestones, PS is about the prestige of 100% games that are worth it.
Xbox rewards app had a quest this year where achievements were converted into MS store points which was the greatest thing.

You know what I would like? A mandatory achievement/trophy for every game for whatever constitutes "beating" the game. Obviously, there are a few games where the designers would need to be creative, but for most games what counts as beating the game is obvious.

This achievement/trophy should be its own category (something between a gold and a platinum) and should be clear when scrolling through your games whether you unlocked it or not, similar to how the platinum trophy icon is listed next to your PS games.

Not everyone cares about achievements, but most gamers agree the goal of most games is to beat the game. It'd be nice to have a tally of all the games you've beaten, not just the ones you've platinumed.

Markio128

I voted yes. You get the platinum as long as you fully complete the base game, so you don’t need to worry about completing DLC. For example, I have the Horizon Platinum, but haven’t completed the DLC. On Xbox, this just looks like an unfinished gamer score and that triggers my OCD.
Ultimately though, we can blame MS for trophies, whichever side of the fence you are on.

Topher

Gold Member
Not really. The Xbox achievement system is by far the best and shouldn't be changed with platinum silver bronze achievements.

What a weird discussion

Why is the discussion "weird"? Just because you don't think it should change? What a weird take.

I didn't say anything about "platinum silver bronze achievements". I don't think anyone cares about silver, bronze, gold trophies. Most just want that Platinum.

MS is about the gamerscore milestones, PS is about the prestige of 100% games that are worth it.
Xbox rewards app had a quest this year where achievements were converted into MS store points which was the greatest thing.

I'm loving the MS rewards app. I'm getting another hundred or so points a day on my XSX just by doing the challenges there. I like these challenges that extend outside of the actual games.

For multiplatform games that have a plat, it exists on Xbox. It's just the last achievement you earn.

But there is nothing in your Xbox profile indicating that you earned it, is there? As far as Xbox is concerned, it is just another achievement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom