• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would the Series S be a good console to get right now?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
got the Series S first - loved it. Later on got the X and planned to get rid of the S , but it's just a nice second room console and with Gamepass and Dev mode i can stick more casual stuff on it. Plus it's the nicest looking next gen machine by some distance.

Not sure why Series S gets so much stick - for a 249 quid machine it's bringing a hell of a lot to the table. Lol - plus with Dev mode you get pretty decent PS backwards compatibility ;)

Tschumi

If you haven't got access to other next gen consoles, definitely get it, it has huge added value in its emulation.

Can recommend.

Last edited:
I just bought some cheap games like SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated for ~4,30 Euro or Far Cry: Anthology - Bundle for ~28 and thought, maybe some of my green rat fellows don't know about it.

1. Buy a Xbox Argentina key
2. Use an Argentina VPN (for example vpn.lat on your smartphone)
3. Redeem on https://redeem.microsoft.com
4. Done.

Xbox Argentina keys can be found here for example:

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Bumping this topic because I am still on the fence about this. I don’t know if the Series S will look good on my 4K Samsung TV or not, but it’s not a TV that is OLED or has 120hz. What should I do? I just don’t want to get it and have regrets, but I don’t know just how good it really is.

Dr Bass

Bumping this topic because I am still on the fence about this. I don’t know if the Series S will look good on my 4K Samsung TV or not, but it’s not a TV that is OLED or has 120hz. What should I do? I just don’t want to get it and have regrets, but I don’t know just how good it really is.
Are you getting it because it's readily available? Or because you think its a better value than the X?

If you got it and didn't like it you could resell it and lose very little I think. I know that's a hassle but it's a low risk. Now if the 299 feels like a lot and you are wishy washy on it, I would maybe hold off if the X is what you really want.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Series S on a 1440p monitor which has a pretty bad upscaler doesnt look too bad, resolution set to 1440p obviously.
On a 4K screen you can pretty clearly see you are below 4K even with the Series S upscaler and decent TV with a good upscaler.

Realistically I would seriously advise saving for another month or two and jumping on a Series X.
If youve got a 4K panel you will notice the res is lower.

If you arent too much of a graphics snob then its a pretty cheap jump in spot and you can spend the difference on 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate.

Riky

$MSFT

It looks fine on a 4K TV at a normal viewing distance, if you sit with your face right next to the screen you'll notice compared to Series X but otherwise you'll forget five minutes into playing your game.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I've had my Series S for a year now and I give it a (y)(n) (thumbs up + thumbs down)

I am a stickler for 4K resolution as I sit pretty close to my TV. You can definitely see the blurriness/aliasing on the Series S so that's the thumbs down. The SSD loading is the thumbs up.

As a second console (which I bought purely for Game Pass and old 360 games) it complements the PS5 very well. The PS5 I get the next-gen feeling from but not with Series S. It feels last gen to me purely because it's running mostly at 1080p. If you don't have or aren't planning to get a PS5, I would go straight for the Series X.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've found that playing on a 1080p monitor the Series S is more than adequate. I've pretty much kept mine on my desk to play when I need a break from work. The picture is pretty soft on a 4K screen so when I want to game on the couch I go to the Series X and PS5 upstairs.

GHG

Gold Member

How big is the TV and how far do you sit from it?

Anyone giving you answers without that kind of information is just guessing.

Last edited:

Boss Man

Get on one of those reddit discord groups and get a PS5. Takes a week or less to get ahold of anything that way.

I bought a Switch (OLED) recently and it’s pretty cool, but won’t excite you like PS5 IMO. Maybe if you’ve never played the best game of all time (Breath of the Wild) then get the Switch immediately.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If budgeting is not a concern, I'd recommend shell out a little more for the Series X. It'll be better in the long term for a 4K display.

Some Series S content can go sub 1080p so it'll look pretty muddy on a big screen. If you were gaming on PC monitor, I'd have said go for S without hesitation otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom