• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would the Series S be a good console to get right now?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
would you like to tell me how much disk space the Series S has please, it has 512 on the box, how much does it allow you to use to store games? please take your time.

The PS5 has the same issue with its 850GB, and it fills up quick.

Its 364GB of 512GB, the OS + other system files takes up the rest

Of course you can buy a Storage Expansion card if you've filled up that 364 GB. A 512 GB card will cost an additional $140. But in that case you'd have been better off buying the Xbox Series X right from the start.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I had a look, so Symths was only at select physical stores, they had some online on the 16th which sold out in under one minute. Currys was also physical store locations as depending on post code they would show as unavailable for delivery, and EE require to be on contract with them to buy them from their store front...

Il admit that is certainly better than usual, but these deals that hung around for hours appear to be with some very specific caveats.

Unlike the series X which you can just buy and have delivered... which I did.
Ok sure… and Argos also had stock in physical stores throughout the country. PlayStation Direct also had plenty of stock. Very also deliver nationwide.

Prime costs £7.99, if you don’t get a free trial. You can immediately claim a refund if you cancel Prime, even after placing an order.

I mean, that Curry’s link will deliver to me if I order right now. I live in one of the biggest city’s in England.

But yeah, apart from all of that it’s like basically impossible man.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

bCGstWu.png

Il admit that Forza continues to amaze me with what its able to put out on weaker hardware especially in that jungle section.

I suppose it makes sense since they got the Xbox One stock working at 30 for the S to be able to double that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Of course you can buy a Storage Expansion card if you've filled up that 364 GB. A 512 GB card will cost an additional $140. But in that case you'd have been better off buying the Xbox Series X right from the start.

I mean... thats the logical argument, especially when the console has to store the whole game on drive to play it.

twilo99

Sadly S will [undoubtedly] effect how much some multiplat games visuals will be pushed this gen.

Unreal engine 5 seems unaffected by the existence of the series S... or do we just ignore that altogether?

Also, how about low end GPUs that have 4tf of performance? Should we remove them from the market as well?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok sure… and Argos also had stock in physical stores throughout the country. PlayStation Direct also had plenty of stock. Very also deliver nationwide.

Prime costs £7.99, if you don’t get a free trial. You can immediately claim a refund if you cancel Prime, even after placing an order.

I mean, that Curry’s link will deliver to me if I order right now. I live in one of the biggest city’s in England.

But yeah, apart from all of that it’s like basically impossible man.

Ah now your twisting the origenal post, I'm not trying to prove that a PS5 was impossible to get, I am saying that they are harder to get than an Xbox one X...

Your origenal post was that they where likely "even easier" to obtain during the run up to Christmas, I am unsure how an item that is consitantly out of stock is harder to obtain in the UK than a console that is obtainable right now from the largest retailer and has currently a slew of active hot UK deals right now and during the same period you point the PS5 out as... compared to PS5 which has either terrible bundles bringing the console above scalper prices and GAME's "who knows when it's available?" preorder deal, I'm just confused how you come to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

It's really not that hard to get any of these consoles. Put your email address into stock informer and they will start pinging up pretty quick.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's really not that hard to get any of these consoles. Put your email address into stock informer and they will start pinging up pretty quick.
Both PS5 and Xbox series X seem to be staying in stock for longer, I'm assuming after Christmas this might be the year people can just walk into a store and pick them up.

Last edited:
It's a little odd that you're trying to look for value while being firmly all-digital which locks you out of any competitive pricing and also ensures you're stuck with any games you don't end up liking.

That said, the trade-off is Game Pass. If you can look at the current catalogue and pick out a bunch of games you'll play then it's crazy good value for money whatever price your get the sub at.

If you really can't wait, get the S, but getting an X / PS5 is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Getting a PS5 and Series X at retail prices is incredibly hard.

Which is entirely at odds with "Non-owners opinions aren't worth much."
Nah I stand by my statements. I see no value in comments from people who looks to have more of an agenda than actually providing factual info. The context of my statement was with the XSS not all comments ever made by people who may not own something.
What part of "it is fine that you provided work arounds to the issues I had with XSS" did you not understand?
I was simply elaborating. You seemed to have an issue with the additional info. If not cool.
Exactly. Don't get this idea that making the case for XSX rather than jumping through hoops to mitigate issues that XSS has is hard to understand. Could very well give others a third option that they had not considered.
If someone is asking which to choose between a Toyota and a Honda and you suggest a Ferrari I don't see that as particularly helpful. The XSX isn't readily available so I fail to see how it's a legitimate solution in this context. Again if both on sitting on the shelf in front of you I can understand. In addition it isn't like the OP isn't aware the XSX exists. I also don't see connecting an the external drive as a lot of hoop jumping. It is certainly easier than installing an NVME in a console for instance.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ah now your twisting the origenal post, I'm not trying to prove that a PS5 was impossible to get, I am saying that they are harder to get than an Xbox one X...

Your origenal post was that they where likely "even easier" to obtain during the run up to Christmas, I am unsure how an item that is consitantly out of stock is harder to obtain in the UK than a console that is obtainable right now from the largest retailer and has currently a slew of active hot UK deals right now and during the same period you point the PS5 out as... compared to PS5 which has either terrible bundles bringing the console above scalper prices and GAME'S "who knows when it's available preorder?" Deal, there's not really an option.
Ok, I would just disagree with that - maybe I shouldn’t have said that the PS5 was possibly ‘even easier’ to get.

In my opinion Sony and MS have done a fantastic job of making sure there’s plentiful stock for both main consoles this Christmas in the UK. I thought there’d be nothing in December at all, and it’s actually been the easiest month to buy either since launch.

From what I have seen the PS5 has had a steady and solid flow of stock for the last 2-3 weeks (coming in and out of stock) whilst the Xbox Series X seems to have hit the shelves big time over the past week and a half and they have remained readily available.

Elginer

Its a great console but chances are you might regret it if Series X is suddenly in stock. But you could always sell the S, take the hit, and get an SX anyway. Or you don't get a new console for what might be months, nobody knows.

However, the S is really good and gets more playtime than my PS5. The difference in graphics is mostly resolution, and its not that big of a deal for me. FH5, Halo Infinite look and play amazing on my 55 CX despite not having 4k resolutions on XSS. Chances are on 50 inch the differences are even smaller.
This. I have a 75 inch 4K and the games look great. Game pass is fantastic and at this point it gets more love than my PS5 on the daily.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok, I would just disagree with that - maybe I shouldn’t have said that the PS5 was possibly ‘even easier’ to get.

In my opinion Sony and MS have done a fantastic job of making sure there’s plentiful stock for both main consoles this Christmas in the UK. I thought there’d be nothing in December at all, and it’s actually been the easiest month to buy either since launch.

From what I have seen the PS5 has had a steady and solid flow of stock for the last 2-3 weeks (coming in and out of stock) whilst the Xbox Series X seems to have hit the shelves big time over the past week and a half and they have remained readily available.

I honestly hope this is the year people can walk into a store and just buy either.

for me the only real downside to a Series S is backwards compatibility. Because you are at the mercy of digital only. Tho the digital selection of 360/OG Xbox games is pretty decent, not everything is available. And some of them are overpriced and/or don't include DLC.

but if u dont care about BC so much. Then go for it. I don't buy modern physical games. I owned like 4 last gen. And i only have 2 rn. Quick Resume is one of the best next gen features and its kinda negated if ur using a disc.

And i wouldn't even worry about the smaller harddrive so much now that most GamePass games have cloud play

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
for me the only real downside to a Series S is backwards compatibility. Because you are at the mercy of digital only. Tho the digital selection of 360/OG Xbox games is pretty decent, not everything is available. And some of them are overpriced and/or don't include DLC.

but if u dont care about BC so much. Then go for it. I don't buy modern physical games. I owned like 4 last gen. And i only have 2 rn. Quick Resume is one of the best next gen features and its kinda negated if ur using a disc.

And i wouldn't even worry about the smaller harddrive so much now that most GamePass games have cloud play

That's a great point, and while of course playing native will always provide the better experience, XCloud at least is a quick way to spend a few minutes with a game to see if it's something you'll wanna play more of or not.

Going by your use-case and whatnot...yeah. It's probably a safe bet to pick one up. You won't get a lot of games in 4K on it but it's not like PS5 and Series X have a lot of native 4K games, either. If you can't really notice upscaled 4K from say 1440p while in the thick of playing a game, you probably won't notice a lower native resolution being upscaled on Series S either.

Meanwhile, you get 3 months of GamePass for free (IIRC) so that's a lot of high-quality games for you to try out and play. Load times are just as fast or in some instances faster than on Series X (and their load times aren't even that far off from PS5's and absolutely nothing you'd "feel" a difference in QoL-wise). Storage space might be a concern because you've only got 512 GB of space and some very specific games can eat at that very quickly, but if your rotation of games isn't that big then you should be okay and can move games to USB-based storage in the meantime, then swap them back to SSD when you want to play them.

That said, I hope you do have pretty good internet as in a very generous data cap or no data cap at all; since Series S is digital-only you can't use discs on it. There might be some weird workarounds with that but, it's just something to consider. If your internet is trash and/or data cap is super-strict for your planned monthly usage, you might want to hold off on picking one up and save the cash towards a Series X or PS5 Disc model, flipside there being you'll be waiting for about a year going by your habits in looking out and tracking drops, etc. And it'll probably be that long until supply improves dramatically and you can find one at MSRP.

Weigh out those pros and cons and go from there.

- you actually own the game

You own a license to play the game; if you truly owned the game, you'd be able to access online features past EOL with whatever means of connectivity you wanted. Something you clearly cannot do.

So actually "owning the game", i.e in full, only applies to strictly single-player titles that aren't using any form of cloud processing for data streaming or synchronization. However, those types of single-player games make up a pretty small fraction of the entire gaming market, on any platform, let alone as a whole.

dcmk7

Banned
All depends on when the Series X will be widely available as that's hands down the best value for money of the two of them; Future proofed with 4k output, 4k blu ray drive, double the internal storage and non comprised versions of games.

Has been a lot of drops in the last week so hopefully the stock situation is improving.

Topher

Gold Member
I was simply elaborating. You seemed to have an issue with the additional info. If not cool.

Third time. I don't have an issue with the additional info.

If someone is asking which to choose between a Toyota and a Honda and you suggest a Ferrari I don't see that as particularly helpful. The XSX isn't readily available so I fail to see how it's a legitimate solution in this context. Again if both on sitting on the shelf in front of you I can understand. In addition it isn't like the OP isn't aware the XSX exists. I also don't see connecting an the external drive as a lot of hoop jumping. It is certainly easier than installing an NVME in a console for instance.

Uh....no, it is more like offering reasons for a more cost conscious alternative from a personal perspective. The XSX wasn't readily available when I returned my XSS but that did not stop me from doing it and waiting for XSX. If someone simply cannot wait and needs to pick from XSS or OLED Switch then they can disregard my comments. I have no problem with that.

Fundamentally I think XSS should have 1 TB of storage out of the box, but it is what it is. As I plainly said in my initial post, if half that works for you then XSS "should be fine".

Last edited:

eNT1TY

My take is buy it because you want it and not just buy it because you are settling for it. When all is said and done it is still good enough to play everything acceptably well and only occasionally will there be a game where there is a stark difference to its series X counterpart.

Hot take: the series S still out performs 90% of steam users' PCs :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well, we all know that it’s pretty hard to get a PS5 or an Xbox Series X right now unless you’re Twitter tracking and even that has never worked out for me the entire time I’ve been trying it. I am still considering a Switch OLED, but a Series S is also on my mind right now. I’m just thinking that it’s a pretty good deal. I have a 4K TV, but it’s several years old. Maybe 3-4. It’s nothing fancy. Maybe a 50” Samsung and it doesn’t have 120fps or anything like that. I’m just wondering if the Series S is viable for me. I do like the 4K capabilities of the PS5 and Series X and would love to have the top end versions, but if the Series S isn’t complete shit I think I’d be okay with it. I could always sell it down the line when stock stabilizes with the others, because I’m not paying a scalper or chasing Twitter account updates for a “chance” to get a console. For starters, I had a PS5 locked down twice on Best Buy through a Twitter tracker account, but apparently they wouldn’t ship it to me and nowhere within 250 miles of me had it in stock so I was out of luck. My closest Best Buy is over an hour away, the same with Target. That leaves me with Walmart, GameStop, and Amazon as my only options. Two of which (or all 3?) have the consoles locked behind premium membership tiers, so yeah.

What would you do if you were me? The Series S is looking mighty fine to me. I was set on a Switch OLED, but there’s a LOT more games I want to play on the Series S, it’s $50 cheaper, and it has Game Pass. Anyone own a Series S and play it on a 4K TV? How does it look?

Wait to get a Series X or PS5. There is no good reason to go for the objectively worst choice of the generation.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You own a license to play the game; if you truly owned the game, you'd be able to access online features past EOL with whatever means of connectivity you wanted. Something you clearly cannot do.

Arguing of semantics and moving of goalposts. Typical of someone who has no argument.
So actually "owning the game", i.e in full, only applies to strictly single-player titles that aren't using any form of cloud processing for data streaming or synchronization. However, those types of single-player games make up a pretty small fraction of the entire gaming market, on any platform, let alone as a whole.
And further proof you are living in bizarro-world with no clue on the reality of modern gaming. Hate to break it to you, kiddo but *most* games don't require streaming, day one patches, or constant connections to the internet to play.

It’s called being patient and waiting on the game you want to go on sale on the Xbox Store. It’s not that hard to get a good deal on a digital game.

The smart choice would be getting the console with a disc drive so you can make the most out of *both* types of sales. Sales on digital *and* physical. But keep on trying to defend having less options, it never gets less hilarious seeing people genuinely believe that less options is better.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

You are right. I might be a bit too harsh.
ps4 digital is only 100 more expensive but it's like a ghost console
I think the XSS is a great entry console to the MS universe, you're a PS or Nintendo player who wanna play some Xbox games and don't mind that much 4K graphics then the XSS+gamepass ultimate combo is pretty great.

I personally have a XSX and PS5 since launch but I can see the appeal for the XSS.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Some people just can’t handle that $300 is basically throwaway money to many Western adults. The Series S is fine for what it does at $300 but they act like it’s a major investment. Which it isn’t.
Not sure I would say it's throwaway, but I agree it's not substantial to lots of people. I agree if one has the money, buy it and play the games you want now, then sell it and upgrade when the better options are available.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Yes. Buy it and get Game Pass and Ninja Gaiden Black. You might also want to consider one of those plug n play battery packs for the controller

Last edited:
Well some people don't apply long term thinking when it comes to buying consoles which I don't get either.

People keep bringing up saving money when you get the cheaper option but they will spend more with a digital only console especially if they plan to just sell it to upgrade at some point but to each his own I guess.
I know I got a PS5 digital, now I have to wait for the digital Games to cost as little as used to buy them (not gonna happen)... And I may lose access to some at some point.

I will find some one who will trade with me and pay the difference one day
coupled with Game Pass it’s a great combo
This is so weird.

Something about XSS stirs so much disturbance on this forum, I really can't put my finger on what or why though
I think its because some people couldn't buy a Series X or PS5 so they got a Series S and feel the need to constantly justify their purchase.

All consoles have been criticized on this forum but its like the Series S has a task force lined up to jump into threads that mention anything negative about it even if the critique is based on facts.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What did he lie about?

I have zero fucking clue, I assumed it was common knowledge that all the next gen consoles when they say 512, 850, 1TB etc your not going to actually get that. My Series X which I just got has on 805GB of 1TB available, that's pretty normal... what I found funny is I downloaded a few gamepass games, Forza Horizon, Streets of rage IV, Dragon Ball fighterZ, Halo Infinite, both Ori's + Black and I have already used just shy of 400GB... which is more than the entire available storage of the Series S for games..... ouch.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I have zero fucking clue, I assumed it was common knowledge that all the next gen consoles when they say 512, 850, 1TB etc your not going to actually get that. My Series X which I just got has on 805GB of 1TB available, that's pretty normal... what I found funny is I downloaded a few gamepass games, Forza Horizon, Streets of rage IV, Dragon Ball fighterZ, Halo Infinite, both Ori's + Black and I have already used just shy of 400GB... which is more than the entire available storage of the Series S for games..... ouch.
I didn't think you said any misleading info.

Deerock71

For now, this entire thought process relies on you assuming that a global company that has quite honestly fucked over the consumer a few times in its history to not remove this feature for the sake of more profit. Storage costs are much bigger than people assume and as more recent games increase in size this will only get worse the longer it goes on.

Not locking yourself down to a single store front while also having access to physical media still has a large appeal if only to prevent this happening in future. Also if you want to upgrade Storage on the S in future, you will be paying the price difference anyway just to do that, an X seems like the better buy for that alone.
Well, sure. I'd be upset about thd games I purchased, but then I also Game Passed, and getting upset about losing those is like getting upset at Netflix for losing movies and shows. I knew what the deal was on that one.

SkylineRKR

FH is like 103gb on S. Infinite is 36gb. Fighter Z, SoR and Ori and black should be 5-8gb ish each. I have the majority of these on my S, and plenty space for other games. I think something is off here.

A way to circumvent it a bit though is to hook up external to it. I transfered all non S|X games to that, and even some like MCC and Sea of Thieves work from external.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

This. All those saying that the consoles are hard to get are working of perception as opposed to the reality of it. In the UK there's been plenty of stock in Dec.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I know I got a PS5 digital, now I have to wait for the digital Games to cost as little as used to buy them (not gonna happen)... And I may lose access to some at some point.

I will find some one who will trade with me and pay the difference one day

This is so weird.
Whys it weird?

Rickyiez

Low entry point to gaming, I would say yeah it's a decent option . There isn't much commitment to it and you can always buy something better later on while still enjoying games like Now.

mrcroket

Is a not worth in the long run because price, but if you want to pay the minimun for play new games, you don't care about graphic fidelity (and in some cases performance) and also you don't care about redownload games or you don't have a data cap and you don't have planned to buy an expansion memory then can be worth... But not so much IMO.

Top Bottom