• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would bringing back Onimusha as a Soulsesque type game be the best way for Capcom to revive the series?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Onimusha was one of the best series of the PS2 generation. It managed this in spite of archaic game design choices that stem from it roots as spin off of Resident Evil. While RE went in new directions, Onimusha stayed the course for three installments. Each game sold a little less than the one before it, and eventually its PS1 style gameplay wasn't enough to keep it relevant. The fourth game took it in more of an RPG type direction, and while it was a lot of fun if you skipped the awful story, the market didn't find the changes sufficient.

The first game had strong horror elements, but as things went on these were reduced and became art and style elements and not gameplay anchors.

The Souls series and Bloodborne are the best modern analog to what the original game was, without tank controls and prerendered backgrounds. Onimusha could come back as this type of game, with horror themes and design elements brought vack to the fore, and it could be both a return to its roots and a significant step forward.

All of its main gameplay elements would fit in with this type of game. Hack and slash melee, magic, and bow and gun long range combat. Ability upgrades are already a part of the game, absorbing demon's souls (no relation) to upgrade weapons, abilities and equipment, but the series also let you find new equipment as well.

From a market standpoint, the genre doesn't seem crowded. You have Souls with occasional installments, and the only second tier series I can think of is The Surge. Onimusha could set its self apart with its strong Japanese cultural influences in art, storytelling, and music. It also doesn't necessarily need to emulate the hard for the sake of hard difficulty (though it could, if Capcom kept an eye on balance and polish, like From Software has.)

What would you like to see in a new Onimusha game? Do you think it would work as a Souls type game? What drawbacks would it have to overcome if it went in this direction? If you don't think this would be a good style choice, what do you think a new game in the series should look like?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No, it needs the archaic feeling of the first game, the only thing it should borrow from Miyazaki games is maybe art direction from Sekiro but have a more isolated horror vibe with environments but have enemies be colourful. Camera angles that move with you in certain areas and static in others is the way to go.

MiguelItUp

As I'm not a fan of the Souls series or Souls-likes, I wouldn't want anything similar to that. If anything I'd like it to be updated to feel new, but also familiar. Much like what Capcom has done with the RE 2&3 remakes. Maybe add some more intricacies, but nothing too out there per se.

Having played every Onimusha game (including the fighter, Blade Warriors), I say create the Onimusha we know but with a much better camera system. I don't think we need that archaic fixed camera system any more.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I loved Onimusha. I probably played through it a half dozen times when it released on PS2 and a few more times when it re-released on Xbox. I played it again last year when it was ported to PS4 and it's a game I wish I'd left in my memories. I say leave the series in the past.

WellSheet

I think Onimusha’s original SuHo roots mixed with its aesthetic are still wholly unique. I think a doubling down on THAT with the advancements we have in game design and power would create something that would stand outside of Ghost, Nioh, Sekiro etc...

I would say...the more brutal and hard hitting/visceral the combat is (closer to ghost) the more it would benefit the game as survival horror

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What if every game didn’t have to borrow from a souls game?

what if variety in gaming was still valued?
What other games are borrowing from Souls? The only one I've played is The Surge.

slade

Onimusha doesn't need to ape Souls or Nioh or even Sekiro. It needs to update its own unique look and mechanics. Make a fully 3d world, update the Issen system, and bring Soki back from the moon or wherever he went.

I just don't think modern Capcom is competent enough to do this IP justice. We would probably end up with Dragon Dogma's retarded grandchild if they ever tried.

GlockSaint

No please I'm really sick of souls like games. Just have it reimagined on modern graphics and combat systems and it will be good to go

No, Souls everything is played out. The fact that a game has now become a type of genre is incredibly annoying and seeing unique design thrown in the trash to replicate this 'genre' has gotten out of control.

EDMIX

Onimusha was one of the best series of the PS2 generation. It managed this in spite of archaic game design choices that stem from it roots as spin off of Resident Evil. While RE went in new directions, Onimusha stayed the course for three installments. Each game sold a little less than the one before it, and eventually its PS1 style gameplay wasn't enough to keep it relevant. The fourth game took it in more of an RPG type direction, and while it was a lot of fun if you skipped the awful story, the market didn't find the changes sufficient.

The first game had strong horror elements, but as things went on these were reduced and became art and style elements and not gameplay anchors.

The Souls series and Bloodborne are the best modern analog to what the original game was, without tank controls and prerendered backgrounds. Onimusha could come back as this type of game, with horror themes and design elements brought vack to the fore, and it could be both a return to its roots and a significant step forward.

All of its main gameplay elements would fit in with this type of game. Hack and slash melee, magic, and bow and gun long range combat. Ability upgrades are already a part of the game, absorbing demon's souls (no relation) to upgrade weapons, abilities and equipment, but the series also let you find new equipment as well.

From a market standpoint, the genre doesn't seem crowded. You have Souls with occasional installments, and the only second tier series I can think of is The Surge. Onimusha could set its self apart with its strong Japanese cultural influences in art, storytelling, and music. It also doesn't necessarily need to emulate the hard for the sake of hard difficulty (though it could, if Capcom kept an eye on balance and polish, like From Software has.)

What would you like to see in a new Onimusha game? Do you think it would work as a Souls type game? What drawbacks would it have to overcome if it went in this direction? If you don't think this would be a good style choice, what do you think a new game in the series should look like?

no.

Onimusha was already a successful series based on what they did with those first 4 titles, they very much can return with a better looking version of the same concept. So they do a good job with their concept of sucking up souls for the level ups lol Also based on the success of stuff like Nioh, Bloodborne, Sekiro etc we have plenty of games that fit that concept that will likely continue to release, Capcom needs to do what got Onimusha successful, not join a whole me too clone fest. For fucks sake, I LIKE THOSE GAMES and I'm saying let Onimusha be Onimusha. Capcom needs to focus on the strength of that series.

Not everything needs to be that souls set up.

93xfan

Banned
At one point someone asked “What if Halo borrows from the popular Call of Duty franchise?” Because of that, we got Halo 4. Let’s be careful mixing games please.

SCB3

What other games are borrowing from Souls? The only one I've played is The Surge.

Are you serious? I can name a good 10-15 games that do just from memory

Anyway, I think Onimusha has a place, but not as a Souls like, it needs to be like the original and take its sources from the games it was based upon (Resident Evil and Devil May Cry) and stand as it's own thing, there are far too many Japan-Orientated games that are Souls like, for example Nioh and Ninja Gaiden, then you have harder combat adventure games like Ghost of Tsushima. These push Onimusha into being something different.

93xfan

Banned
I think Dark Souls 4 should scrap its mechanics and make the game more like Onimusha.

I think we have a stalemate, OP.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
As much as i love the Souls games and Bloodborne Capcom doesn't need to copy anyone when it comes to action games. With games like Dragon's Dogma they have proven that they really know how to make solid combat as well as inovating with new online systems (Pawns).

Even with Nioh existing they can still find a place for Onimusha in the market. Nioh's combat IMO was needlessly complicated with a pointless and convoluted loot system. The true success behind the concept of the Souls games and other good action games is not about how complicated you make your game. It's about offering deep gameplay through simple game mechanics. That was something Capcom also did really well with the original Onimusha and i'm sure they can do it again with a new Onimusha without having to copy anything from Souls or Nioh.

I'm also sure they can craft a much more alive and interesting world than what Team Ninja did with Nioh (and Nioh 2) or even From with Sekiro with a bigger emphasis on atmosphere and horror about Japanese folktales about ghosts and demons. And last but not least i hope they bring back Taro Iwashiro to compose the soundtrack.The guy is a genius and he has proven many times that he really knows how to compose themes about historical Japanese settings while also incorporating a modern feel.
Some examples of his work:

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Onimusha doesn't need to ape Souls or Nioh or even Sekiro. It needs to update its own unique look and mechanics. Make a fully 3d world, update the Issen system, and bring Soki back from the moon or wherever he went.

I just don't think modern Capcom is competent enough to do this IP justice. We would probably end up with Dragon Dogma's retarded grandchild if they ever tried.
I was going to give you a thumbs up until i read your last sentence. :messenger_neutral: What do you mean by that?

llLeonhart

Gold Member
No, the best way is to creat a different experience altogether. I trust they can do it, GoT did samurai combat in a way that has never been done before, Capcom could do so as well.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you want a Souls experience with Onimusha, just play Genma Onimusha on the og xbox. That game is insanely difficult but not in a rewarding Souls type way, it's just insanely difficult and honestly a terrible representation of Onimusha, lol.

I was playing it earlier this year and just couldn't figure out why I was sucking so hard, a quick google search clued me into the game being much more difficult on purpose. Promptly went and played the PS2 version and had a fantastic time, great game and the graphics are amazing.

OT though, I can't wait for the Onimusha reboot, isn't it essentially confirmed now?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah I think I would prefer an Onimusha/ Devil May Cry approach.
But the lack of Remastering of Onimusha 2/3 makes me believe it's not happening and lack of sales for the Remaster was the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Can you people stop fantasizing about every game getting a souls gameplay instead of its original that made it the game it is today. If you are so keen, just play the game on its most brutal difficulty. Im not a fan of souls formula but i get why people like it but really, stop wishing now every game that comes out has the same recipe with one hit kills. Some of us play these games for its story as well.

Perrott

Gold Member
In terms of gameplay, a new Onimusha should be like Metal Gear Rising was while being developed by Kojima Productions:

Ohh, and it should also feature an over-the-shoulder third-person camera like the Resident Evil remakes. That would be very weird, but in my head sounds like a great idea.

Plus a ton of cutscenes, making it a GOTY-contender cinematic experience. Also starring Ben Affleck as the main playable character.

And finally have it take place in today's Tokyo.

Nah. I'd like it to return to being a horror, but get rid of those crappy Oni-powers and soul sucking. Those were no good. Onimusha 2 was already a step in the wrong direction, but 3 really killed the franchise for me. Those ugly 3D backgrounds and an increasing focus on mindless action really turned me away.

Top Bottom