• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would a Manhunt (3) MP game work?

MMaRsu

Banned
Thread requested by havoc00 havoc00
Do you think Rockstar missed the boat with a Manhunt MP game, think in the vein of dead by daylight, you have the killer and survivors, brutal execution's etc.... Could have kept the IP going without having to make a third game.

I personally would have loved to see a third Manhunt game. In an MP setting it could work, I'm thinking about Assassins Creed MP, something like that perhaps.

Did Rockstar screw Manhunt by not trying for a third game featuring MP in a heavy way?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
MP could work if they put it on the Wii U. Would have to be asymmetric multiplayer. Someone could be the dungeon master and they would have to talk on the mic and taunt people the whole time like in the 1st game, egging everyone on to kill each other in sadistic ways for entertainment while they are in control of picking camera angles for the best snuff film shots by holding the gamepad and shooting the kills like a director. They could also trigger a few traps and customize map layouts before the game starts like Devil's Third.

Last edited:
No big publisher would want that kind of heat in this political climate.
Shark Tank No GIF

MiguelItUp

It could definitely work, just depends on how it's handled. The way everything played out could definitely work in the realm of multiplayer in a variety of ways.

The reality is that Manhunt is long gone, and I'm sure it's an IP we won't see again. I'll be shocked if we do.

Manhunt is the one series that could never be made today with updated graphics and gore. It would instantly get an Adult rating. Those games on PS2 are still incredibly unsettling to play

Puscifer

No thanks.

It just needs to be like Manhunt 1 again. That was basically a John Carpenter game.
Also needs to make the microphone implementation more known. Xbox and PS2 had a feature that you could speak into the mic to taunt the AI, I'm always surprised how voice control just died outright after that era.

Shit was great calling people to their death!

havoc00

That’s strange cuz I would love a full on Manhubt 3 single player campaign.
I would too, i dont think rockstar is that adventurous or daring anymore with the controversy it would create they print money now with gta online etc no need for them to get muddy again

Hudo

Modern Rockstar doesn't have the balls to do a new, proper Manhunt game. They don't even have the balls to make a new Bully.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Manhunt is the one series that could never be made today with updated graphics and gore. It would instantly get an Adult rating. Those games on PS2 are still incredibly unsettling to play
There are games that come out today that feature far more gruesome stuff than what Manhunt ever did. The only reason that the original attracted media's attention to the point where it blew up into a moral panic was because it was Rockstar who already got a bad rep at the time thanks to GTA games.

And for that reason I don't really think that Rockstar of today would even want to touch this IP again.

Personally if it was to be revived, I'd rather if it was just a regular single player stealth horror game like the original. We already have some many multiplayer games based on popular horror franchises and it frankly annoys me to no end. I can't count how many times I saw an ad for a new horror game based on movie franchise that I love, like Evil Dead or Predator, only to feel my heart sink as I discover that it's yet another one of those fucking asymmetrical multiplayer games. Like, come on, make a damn SP horror game out of those franchises, will ya?

Last edited:

GymWolf

There are games that come out today that feature far more gruesome stuff than what Manhunt ever did. The only reason that the original attracted media's attention to the point where it blew up into a moral panic was because it was Rockstar who already got a bad rep at the time thanks to GTA games.

And for that reason I don't really think that Rockstar of today would even want to touch this IP again.

Personally if it was to be revived, I'd rather if it was just a regular single player stealth horror game like the original. We already have some many multiplayer games based on popular horror franchises and it frankly annoys me to no end. I can't count how many times I saw an ad for a new horror game based on movie franchise that I love, like Evil Dead or Predator, only to feel my heart sink as I discover that it's yet another one of those fucking asymmetrical multiplayer games. Like, come on, make a damn SP horror game out of those franchises, will ya?
Tlou2 has the most realistic depiction of violence but the purpose of the game is not torturing and killing your enemies in the most gruesome way to please people in front of the tv.

The level of violence is way worse than manhunt but the reason for the violence is completely different.

In that game you literally have an icon that tells how brutal your finish is gonna be.

And you still have politician accusing videogames of causing revolts and shit, just look at the (shit)head of france and what he said lately...

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

Manhunt was a special kind of violence. Blowing a guys head off the a shotgun is one thing, but killing someone with a plastic bag is way more fucked up, even if it is less gruesome.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Tlou2 has the most realistic depiction of violence but the purpose of the game is not torturing and killing your enemies in the most gruesome way to please people in front of the tv.

The level of violence is way worse than manhunt but the reason for the violence is completely different.

In that game you literally have an icon that tells how brutal your finish is gonna be.

And you still have politician accusing videogames of causing revolts and shit, just look at the (shit)head of france and what he said lately...
Manhunt was a special kind of violence. Blowing a guys head off the a shotgun is one thing, but killing someone with a plastic bag is way more fucked up, even if it is less gruesome.
I think you guys are sensationalising it a little bit. Yes, the context for the violence is important and the context of Manhunt is far more grim and grounded than your usual fantasy violence of video games, but so are games like Outlast which also explore some heavy topics in a manner that makes Manhunt look tame in comparison.

calistan

I think you guys are sensationalising it a little bit. Yes, the context for the violence is important and the context of Manhunt is far more grim and grounded than your usual fantasy violence of video games, but so are games like Outlast which also explore some heavy topics in a manner that makes Manhunt look tame in comparison.
I'm not sure people would be shocked by Manhunt these days. It's like when you watch some notorious old 1980s horror film and it's disappointingly tame.

GymWolf

Outlast is a niche title on pc, not an AAA game from rockstar, indies can get away with some sick stuff.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Thread requested by havoc00 havoc00

I personally would have loved to see a third Manhunt game. In an MP setting it could work, I'm thinking about Assassins Creed MP, something like that perhaps.

Did Rockstar screw Manhunt by not trying for a third game featuring MP in a heavy way?

No, Rockstar screwed Manhunt by making and releasing Manhunt 2.

GymWolf

That was my point. No one would care about violence in Manhunt if it wasn't made by Rockstar.
The more prominent your game is, the more you have to walk on eggshells.

I mean unless you are a gigachad dev that gives 2 fucks about the retards on twitter.

Just to emphasis, Manhunt 1 is the only game i have ever played where I could see a mentally unwell person using the game as means to commit violence. It's that unsettling. Update that game with modern graphics and gore, it deserves an adult rating. Hell, I think the original games deserved in Adult rating. And I come from the opinion that kids ages 11-12 can play GTA. Manhunt is just another level imo

I do love the edginess of Rockstar back in early 2000's. They were looking to push the boundaries of what was acceptable

Last edited:

havoc00

Just to emphasis, Manhunt 1 is the only game i have ever played where I could see a mentally unwell person using the game as means to commit violence. It's that unsettling. Update that game with modern graphics and gore, it deserves an adult rating. Hell, I think the original games deserved in Adult rating. And I come from the opinion that kids ages 11-12 can play GTA. Manhunt is just another level imo

I do love the edginess of Rockstar back in early 2000's. They were looking to push the boundaries of what was acceptable
After all these years its crazy an AO game has never released on xbox or ps

Top Bottom