• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worth Playing? Dead Rising 3, Mad Max, Batman: AK, Shadow of Mordor, MGS 5, DA: Inquisition, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Alien: Isolation, FC: Primal…

quite a few of the games on the list are repetitive and i would skip them personally - far cry, mad max, mordor, etc..

you should play Alien: Isolation and MGS5 asap though. Arkham Knight is fun if you liked the other ones

Camreezie

Dead Rising 3 - a let down, let's a lot of what makes a dead rising game go

Mad Max - better than I thought it would be. Vehicle combat was fun

Batman Arkham Knight - Story and plot elements massively disappointing. Gameplay is okay but things like fear takedowns remove any difficulty

Shadow of Mordor - Solid beginning for new franchise , nemesis system is strong but the combat is nothing new

MGS V - Great gameplay , tons of hours there. Obviously the story goes off a cliff due to development issues

Dragon Age Inquisition - Havent Played

Mass Effect Andromeda - quit after a few hours felt absolutely soulless compared to the trilogy

Alien Isolation - Absolutely fantastic and one of the best games I've played last generation. Tense atmosphere most of the way through. Had a lot of fun being scared

Far Cry Primal - Novelty of the setting wore off found it more boring than 4 or 3

Tldr : If you play one of these play Alien Isolation

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm trying to go through some of the games that slipped my radar throughout this past generation before fully committing to next gen (XSX/PS5).

Do any of you have strong opinions on if any of these games are worth my time (I own or have access to all of these on GamePass so money is not an issue). Some of these games have middling reviews but I am nonetheless interested. Do you like any of these more than reviewers or the gaming community does?

To give you some insight in to me. My favorite genres are action rpg's (Fallout, Skyrim, etc.) and 3rd person action-adventures games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed).

I am into impressive graphics, high production values and detailed worlds. I prefer if at least one of the world, characters or story has to be interesting or unique (i.e. weird). I do not like jank.

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Batman: Arkham Knight
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Alien: Isolation
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3
DR3 - This series hasn’t been good in like 14 years.

Mad Max - Haven’t played enough to judge. Seemed derivative but interesting.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Very good game, not as great as City or Asylum but still worth playing.

Shadow Of Mordor - Long, grindy, don’t bother.

MGS5 - Story sucks, gameplay is 10/10.

DA: I - Hell no.

Mass Effect Andromeda - Embarrassingly bad game RPG with awful writing and characters, but good combat.

Alien: Fun but gets old after awhile.

Far Cry Primal: Fun if you like Far Cry.

Crackdown 3 - Actively bad video game that doesn’t deserve your time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dead Rising 3 - It is fun just to mess around in, skip cutscenes, and just try to get as far as you can. There are some episodic stuff in there with different characters that you could try.

Mad Max - I got this and I played a couple hours. It’s worth checking out the world, but don’t expect a wild ride. I put it down because I got bored.

Batman: Arkham Knight - I liked this. I had the big digital package when it came out. There are a lot of cool ideas in this game. I love the suits too. I also like the plot.

Shadow of Mordor - I thought this got too repetitive. The Nemesis engine is definitely worth seeing, but it can get old after a while.

MGS 5 - I really enjoyed this. I love this franchise and I own a lot of memorabilia. Put on some tunes from the OST and just go to down coming up with different ways to take out enemy bases.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - IMO it’s Dragon Age the MMO lol the gameplay/world was a ton of fun. The story sorta flew over my head. It was fun clearing a map. Something about it made it really good at the time. I’ve beaten this entire series. I’d say it’s right under Origins/Awakening. The green colors were cool. It impacted me more than DA2 did. It’s probably closer to being as good as Origins. I was way more into the characters in Origins and Inquisition.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I started to not like BioWare after this and Anthem. I don’t know what it was, but I didn’t like this at all. It felt like they forced a team to make another Mass Effect game. The series ended for me at 3.

Alien: Isolation - I liked this a lot, but I also got bored with it after a couple hours. Maybe I’m just too picky with horror/suspense games.

Far Cry Primal - same with Alien Isolation. I thought I’d enjoy it a lot more than I did, but this series has basically done the same stuff. It’s fun for a while, but it’s hard to see it to the end. I forgot I owned this game.

Crackdown 3 - I had maybe an hours worth of fun, but it was forgettable. I like the action gameplay, but it doesn’t really have a good plot. I grew up in the arcades and I just got bored with Crackdown 3. I think the developers promised something that wasn’t there. I’d skip this one.

Justin9mm

I don't know why people are acting like "Arkham Knight is surprisingly pretty good". It's the best game in that list and it's an easy 9.5 game, very close to perfect.
Yeah but isn't it still like 1080p 30fps? Even on next gen / PS5? That would hurt my eyes on my 4K TV lol

kiphalfton

Dead Rising 3 - Maybe
Batman: Arkham Knight - No
Shadow of Mordor - No
MGS 5 - Maybe

Didn't play any of the other ones. I didn't enjoy Shadow of Mordor as it is very repetitive, and Arkham Knight is okay, but the driving missions are boring and the side missions suck. MGS V has stellar gameplay, and it may be something you like but it too is extremely repetitive. Dead Rising is stupid fun, but the story sucks and I don't think it's as good as DR1 or even DR2. But, that's like my opinion man and I tend to not particularly enjoy open world games as it's a bunch of crappy side missions, and the main missions aren't much better.

Last edited:
I'm an old-skool "gameplay far exceeds story elements when it comes to determining fun factor" type of gamer. So bearing that in mind I can wholeheartedly recommend Arkham Knight and MGSV. AK gives you the best free flow combat that the Arkham games originally pioneered, alongside further expanded stealth, gadgets and other Batman stuff. Lots of quality and varied content if you have all the DLC. I even didn't mind the bat tank stuff. MGSV is the best example of open-world emergent stealth based gameplay, period. Going for a perfect stealth, no-kill, no trace S-rank runs is thrilling. Or you can go full dunkey and come up with ridiculous ways to get things done. Gameplay wise, both games achieve what they set out to do, not just well, but with flying Fing colours.

EDMIX

Everything you have listed is a solid once over.

MGSV....easily one of the best stealth games ever made, worse MGS story, but never let that stop you from experiencing it.

From your list: Dead Rising 3 (some people say DR3 is not good because, you know, they can't play on their toy...u know what i mean...But the game is pretty good) and Alien Isolation. Maybe u can try Mad Max...Its cheap and not too bad.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I'm trying to go through some of the games that slipped my radar throughout this past generation before fully committing to next gen (XSX/PS5).

Do any of you have strong opinions on if any of these games are worth my time (I own or have access to all of these on GamePass so money is not an issue). Some of these games have middling reviews but I am nonetheless interested. Do you like any of these more than reviewers or the gaming community does?

To give you some insight in to me. My favorite genres are action rpg's (Fallout, Skyrim, etc.) and 3rd person action-adventures games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed).

I am into impressive graphics, high production values and detailed worlds. I prefer if at least one of the world, characters or story has to be interesting or unique (i.e. weird). I do not like jank.

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Batman: Arkham Knight
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Alien: Isolation
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3
Of those I've only played Barman: Arkham Knight, MGS 5 and Max Max. Enjoyed all three, with probably MGS 5 the most evern if the story is one of the dumbest in history.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Dead Rising 3 - If you loved Dead Rising, you'll still enjoy it to a certain degree, but ignore the sequels that come after. They're not good or true to the originals at all.

Mad Max - Surprisingly enjoyable and really cool. Even more so if you're a fan of Mad Max at all, the combat is also very Arkham-like, which is fun. Driving and combat segments can be very fun.

Batman: Arkham Knight - In the end I suppose fairly forgettable, but it's more Arkham, so if you want it, check it out.

Shadow of Mordor - Shadow of Mordor is awesome, highly recommended. Shadow of War is too, but man, it just feels like there's TOO much in that game.

MGS 5 - Story is sadly not finished at the end, but the gameplay itself is fucking amazing. I remember when it was coming out the idea of an open world MGS game sounded stupid. But it worked amazingly well. Highly recommended.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Never played.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Never touched because of the whole fiasco that came with it, but people said after the work they put into it, it was a lot better. But how much better? Lol. I don't think I'll ever touch it. But hey, want more Mass Effect? Might as well give it a shot if you're willing.

Alien: Isolation - One of my favorite games of all time, and I'm not even exaggerating. I'm a huge Alien/s fan for one, so kinda biased. But the immersion and art direction in the game is absolutely stunning. Really captures the universe so incredibly well. Plus the Xeno is terrifying as shit, lol.

Far Cry Primal - Never played, but I was always pretty interested as I heard/read pretty good things.

Crackdown 3 - Never played, but loved 1, and 2 was.... fine. Apparently this one is even more forgettable than 2, so if you never touch it I don't think you're missing much.

Allforce

Mad Max is an underrated gem if you like that franchise. The combat is Batman Arkham/Mordor style and absolutely brutal and the car combat is a blast too when you run into giant convoys (there's unfortunately not enough of these). Just kicking 5-6 guys asses at a time is so satisfying I ended up getting 100% on that game.

Top Bottom