• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worth Playing? Dead Rising 3, Mad Max, Batman: AK, Shadow of Mordor, MGS 5, DA: Inquisition, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Alien: Isolation, FC: Primal…

AppleBlade

I'm trying to go through some of the games that slipped my radar throughout this past generation before fully committing to next gen (XSX/PS5).

Do any of you have strong opinions on if any of these games are worth my time (I own or have access to all of these on GamePass so money is not an issue). Some of these games have middling reviews but I am nonetheless interested. Do you like any of these more than reviewers or the gaming community does?

To give you some insight in to me. My favorite genres are action rpg's (Fallout, Skyrim, etc.) and 3rd person action-adventures games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed).

I am into impressive graphics, high production values and detailed worlds. I prefer if at least one of the world, characters or story has to be interesting or unique (i.e. weird). I do not like jank.

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Batman: Arkham Knight
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Alien: Isolation
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3

Last edited:

fatmarco

I've played all except Primal. They are, despite what others or certain reviews might say, all really good, however if you can only play one, play Alien: Isolation.

That is a legitimate classic.

GHG

Gold Member
AppleBlade AppleBlade

This is my opinion on whether the games listed are worth playing:

• Dead Rising 3 - no
  • Mad Max - no
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - yes
  • Shadow of Mordor - definitely not
  • MGS 5 - yes
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - no
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda - no
  • Alien: Isolation - yes
  • Far Cry Primal - yes but in survival mode with no Hud. Completely transforms the experience.
  • Crackdown 3 - hell no
To rank the games that I said yes to:
  1. MGSV
  2. Alien Isolation
  3. Batman Arkham Knight
  4. Far Cry Primal

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Arkham Knight is surprisingly really really good.
I liked dead rising 3 at launch, it's probably the only dead rising game I really enjoyed tbh, as I usually get bored of them VERY quickly.
Crackdown 3 I also had a lot of fun with, it's nothing special, but it's better than the prior two games in the series imo. (But that isn't saying much)

GHG

Gold Member
I don't know why people are acting like "Arkham Knight is surprisingly pretty good". It's the best game in that list and it's an easy 9.5 game, very close to perfect.

Yeh the only bad thing about the game was the abysmal PC port at launch but thankfully we are past that.

GC_DALBEN

Dead Rising 3 - Yes (the best dr game)
Mad Max - No
Batman: Arkham Knight - Yes
Shadow of Mordor - No
MGS 5 - Yes
Dragon Age: Inquisition - No
Mass Effect: Andromeda - No
Alien: Isolation - Yes
Far Cry Primal - No
Crackdown 3 - No

brian0057

Banned
Alien: Isolation and Mad Max are the only ones worth playing.

Divinity: Original Sin > Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Batman: Arkham Asylum > The rest of the series.
Mass Effect > The rest of the series.
Blood Dragon > Far Cry 2 > The rest of the series.
Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2 Shadow of Mordor.
Literally any other stealth game > Metal Gear.

Haven't played any Crackdown. And from the looks of it, I never will.

Dead Rising 3 - No
Mad Max - Hell yes
Batman: Arkham Knight - Yes
Shadow of Mordor - Yes
MGS 5 - Hell the fuck yes. One of the best games ever made. Sadly not finished.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Fuck no
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Hella fuck no
Alien: Isolation - Not for me, I hate games with invincible enemies
Far Cry Primal - Yes. Sleeper game. One of the better Far Crys.
Crackdown 3 - Maybe, depends on your tolerance to jank

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Also Alien: Isolation is AWESOME if only for the retro futuristic design <3

Zannegan

Arkham Knight was pretty great, like Arkham City but with an overworld worth exploring. Nothing touches Asylum though.

Shadow of Mordor was shockingly compelling, given that I'm not a big Assassin's Creed fan. That little bit of extra freedom the game affords you and the inclusion of the Nemesis System make it well worth a playthrough.

Those are the only ones I've played all the way through myself. Never had more than a few minutes with any of the others.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Dead Rising 3: I found this boring.
Mad Max: Fun for a bit, but quickly becomes repetitive.
Batman: Arkham Knight: Brilliant, perhaps my fave game of last gen, no idea why it has so many haters, ignore them.
Shadow of Mordor: Good, not as good AK, but still worth playing I'd say.
MGS 5: Bored me to absolute tears, I wouldn't bother, really liked Ground Zeroes though weirdly.
Dragon Age: Inquisition: Didn't play, didn't hear great things.
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Ditto
Alien: Isolation: I own it (free from Epic), but was put from playing it so far as I'm not sure it's my cuppa tea, I don't like the idea of feeling absolutely helpless and terrified for 20+ hours!
Far Cry Primal: Not a fan of this series, play it if you like the others.
Crackdown 3: Some fun to be had, but fell short of the standards set by the first game imho. Sumo salvaged what was a mess of a development, try it after you run out of stuff to play perhaps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3
I would say yes to Mad Max especially if you want excellent car combat, Batman Arkham Knight as it's great but does fall short compared to City and Asylum, Mordor is solid and Far Cry Primal is so damn overrated.

I beat Dead Rising 3 and I can say that if you skip, you're not missing much if anything. Played MGS 5 for 60 hours and quit it because I was covered in blood and couldn't wash it off. There's a stupid hidden mechanic in the game to where if you kill too many people, you get covered in blood and can't wash it off. I was like, fuck this game.

Rest, I haven't played so I can't say either way except for the fact that I have no interest in playing them.

Fbh

Of the ones I've played:

-Mad Max: It has some really nice environments that capture that Mad Max look, and the gameplay is pretty fun too. But it does get repetitive after a while since at its core it's a very basic Ubisoft style open world.
-Batman Arkham Knight: Great game overall, if you've played and liked the previous ones this is definitely worth playing even if it has a tad too much Batmobile gameplay. The story is pretty bad though.
-Shadow of Mordor: Not really IMO. Nemesis system is cool though feels wasted here with how easy the game is and how OP your characters is, and aside from that it's another very basic ubisoft style open world, the environments are bland and boring both visually and in their design, and the story is some bad fanfic.
- MGS: If you are into stealth games you'll definitely like this as the actual gameplay is stellar. The open world is pretty bland though and I personally didn't like the story and the mission based structure, or the Farmville clone that is the base building.
- Dragon Age Inquisition: IMO it's not as bad as everyone says. Story could be better but the character interactions are still fun, and I'd recommend looking at a guide or something that will point you towards the good side content as there is a lot of bland fetch quest type filler, but most of it is optional. The visuals and environments still look pretty great IMO, there's a lot of variety to them and the music is also really nice. To me where it falls short is the combat, it's like they tried to make some middle ground that would please fans of real time action based combat and fans of more tactical combat, but the result is just a bland action based combat with bland optional tactical stuff.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
IMO all of those are worth playing with the exception of Dead Rising 3, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Crackdown 3. These I would put at the very bottom of the list and treat as last-resort purchases for when you'll beat all the other ones and will be desperate for something new to play.

Aion002

Some are...

In my opinion:

Both MGS5 and Dragon Age Inquisition are must play games.

Shadow of War and Mad Max are great, but also quite repetitive.

Alien Isolation is a love or hate game, I hate it, but many love.

Batman is cool, but the car parts are many and a chore.

Tne others are trash.

anthony2690

Banned
I don't know why people are acting like "Arkham Knight is surprisingly pretty good". It's the best game in that list and it's an easy 9.5 game, very close to perfect.
It was the first batman game I had ever played since the megadrive & I only purchased it as there wasn't much to play on Xbox one or ps4 when it came out.
So it was a genuine surprise, how much I loved it.
(Obviously my prior post has no context, so you wouldn't understand why it was surprisingly really good to me) :)

Kev Kev

dead rising 3 was worth it, dont listen to the haters

its not as good as 1 or 2, but its still a lot fo damn fun, and its not super difficult.

dead rising 4, however, can go suck a fart on fire. never ever ever ever play that game

ever

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Batman and mgs5 100%
Alien isolation was 15 hours to long and dragged...
Mad max I still need to play

Kuranghi

If you don't play Arkham Knight I won't be forum-friends with you anymore, which I know could be a big blow to you.

Based on what you said Mad Max or Arkham Knight fit the bill of beautiful graphics and detailed worlds, especially the latter. It runs at 60fps on next-gen now too.

edit - sorry misundstood you OP, you are saying you don't have the next-gen consoles yet? Are you using GP on PC or Xbox then?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Dead Rising 3 IDK
Mad Max Quite Good
Batman: Arkham Knight V. Good
Shadow of Mordor Good
MGS 5 OK but weak compared to MGS1-4
Dragon Age: Inquisition IDK
Mass Effect: Andromeda Medicore
Alien: Isolation Amazing, must play
Far Cry Primal Medicore
Crackdown 3 IDK

Replies in bold

Do any of you have strong opinions on if any of these games are worth my time (I own or have access to all of these on GamePass so money is not an issue). Some of these games have middling reviews but I am nonetheless interested. Do you like any of these more than reviewers or the gaming community does?

To give you some insight in to me. My favorite genres are action rpg's (Fallout, Skyrim, etc.) and 3rd person action-adventures games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed).

I am into impressive graphics, high production values and detailed worlds. I prefer if at least one of the world, characters or story has to be interesting or unique (i.e. weird). I do not like jank.

Play MGS5. Hideo Haters will cry about the story but it's great. The gameplay is amazing. Detailed areas, impressive graphics, high production values, interesting/unique characters, very little jank. I'd recommend it way over anything else in your list.

Also look into the online mode and the nuclear disarmament event that had been going on for years. Very interesting stuff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm trying to go through some of the games that slipped my radar throughout this past generation before fully committing to next gen (XSX/PS5).

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3
Mad Max - A fantastic game. A forgotten masterpiece. One of the best games of last gen. Incredible car combat and one of the best open world games.
Batman: Arkham Knight - Fantastic game. One of the best of last gen. Car combat is tedious and there is too much of it, but the rest is top notch.
Shadow of Mordor - Not worth playing. Grindy, long and boring.
MGS 5 - Flawed, unfinished, one of the worst MGS games, but still arguably the best game of last gen. Amazing combat system. A true military simulation. DONT go in for the story.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Not worth playing. Grindy, long and boring.
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Flawed, but still easily the best WRPG of last gen other than Witcher 3 of course. There is a lot to like. The combat is sublime and the RPG elements might not impact the story too much, but they definitely let you tailor the combat to your liking.

Tiamat2san

Dead rising 3 is fun !
The story is fun. (Especially if you are a 70/80’s zombie fan)
The gameplay is fun!
The last DLC is great. (For capcom fans)
The game isn’t a looker but still the number of zombies is amazing.
Try to beat my kill streak combo (22878)

Dead Rising 3 (only one i found worth playing is the original)
Mad Max (kinda cool, kinda boring. ymmv)
Batman: Arkham Knight (i stayed away from this game, despite loving the series. because i heard it sucked. They were wrong. Its good)
Shadow of Mordor (awesome)
MGS 5 (i luv MGS 2, 3 & 4 and Ground Zeroes. MGS 5 bored me to death and i can't bother to continue it. avoid)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (not a fan of playing these. But i watched a friend play this. It has its moments. But its long af boi)
Mass Effect: Andromeda (heard it sucks. im not a mass effect guy. I did think mechanically it felt good to play unlike the other ME games)
Alien: Isolation (amazing. play)
Far Cry Primal (i fell off of it. Its pretty much the only Far Cry i've played. Not a HOF game. More like in the Hall of not bad)
Crackdown 3 (crackdown 1 is fun. This is not)

GametimeUK

MGS5 for me is absolutely incredible and I really enjoyed messing around in the stealth sandbox. MGS has always been cut scene heavy, but this one has you involved in actual gameplay a lot more. After MGS4 I grew tired of over long cut scenes, but that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people miss the story aspect.

zaanan

Banned

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max
Shadow of Mordor
MGS 5
Far Cry Primal
Crackdown 3
Alien and Batman HELL YEAH!!!

Seraphym

I have struck through those I haven't played or played enough of (Dragon Age and Mass Effect)

Dead Rising 3
Mad Max - Nope, fun but still No
Batman: Arkham Knight - Loved Asylum, tolerated City and hated Knight
Shadow of Mordor - Yes
MGS 5

Alien: Isolation - Yes and no, some of it is great and a the rest is just padding.
Far Cry Primal - Really liked this, thought it was Fun and a nice twist on the formula.
Crackdown 3 - good fun but not necessarily must play.

But why not just install and play them one at a time? Go with the game with the largest positive consensus and see what happens.

Last edited:

AppleBlade

If you don't play Arkham Knight I won't be forum-friends with you anymore, which I know could be a big blow to you.

Based on what you said Mad Max or Arkham Knight fit the bill of beautiful graphics and detailed worlds, especially the latter. It runs at 60fps on next-gen now too.

edit - sorry misundstood you OP, you are saying you don't have the next-gen consoles yet? Are you using GP on PC or Xbox then?
I actually do have the Series X but still would like to clean up some of the last gen games I missed. The quicker loading times and the back compat enhancements (FPS boost, more stable framerates, etc.) will be a bonus.

SkylineRKR

Mad Max is pretty good when boosted. Arkham Knight was good, worse than the other Arkham games but still good.

Alien Isolation is brilliant. I beat it on S this year. Its great.

MGSV is in terms of gameplay extremely sound, but it can get boring and there is barely any story. Has its moments though.

Mordor is kind of weird. I liked it more than the sequel and saw it through till the end but its rather easy and repetitive. You have to deliberately lose etc for the nemesis system to pay off. Its fun though if you let captains betray eachother etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom