• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst open world game of all time

Genx3

Not sure If Atari Jaguar's Cyber Morph counts as an open world game. You could only fly around in a space ship fighting enemies but if it does since it was an open world map then this is the worst open world game of all time.

Termite

Of the last gen only (PS4 gen) I'd have to say Gravity Rush 2. Unbelievably disappointing.

Shocking camera issues, terrible side quests, a world that's way too big for the amount of content in it, crap user generated treasure hunts, content that was no longer accessible in a single player game after the servers shut, awful story, poor combat, terrible "mining" sections, dogshit bosses, and worst of all it doesn't even pick up the story of the first game until AFTER THE CREDITS ROLL and you get to post-game.

Unforgivable, and deservedly killed a promising series.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fuel.

Basically a massive (like really massive) world with pretty much nothing in it.

3 hours and 10 mins to drive from one side to the other.

but but.. it's one of my favs. 4k 60 on pc it is incredible.
I never even race in it. I just use debug mode to teleport around and drive cool cars. The game is very chill and full of great vistas.
Snow, desert, forests, tornados, rain, great canyon.... so good looking.
The worst open world are the busywork kind for me. Some later AC games or Far Cry 3+ games. I also loved Death Stranding

Some of my older Fuel screenshots. That game just need downsampling or 4k. No mods

Xp7X8l2.jpg

yyrXUA9.jpg

b3ojGCC.jpg

BvM0Tfr.jpg

BXDSlsp.jpg

Last edited:

kyussman

I've finished Skyrim now and I'm not going to say it's the worst open world game because it's not....but I have to say it's the most overrated.I see lots of talk about overrated games and people usually just state highly rated games and I think,nah there is a reason it got rated like that....but with Skyrim I just don't get the insane love for it....perhaps it's to do with when it was released.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hand down. Shittest open world RPG ever. Don't let the clever 3D graphics which were decent in 1990 and played smooth even on a 286. Terrible game.

Sejan

I've finished Skyrim now and I'm not going to say it's the worst open world game because it's not....but I have to say it's the most overrated.I see lots of talk about overrated games and people usually just state highly rated games and I think,nah there is a reason it got rated like that....but with Skyrim I just don't get the insane love for it....perhaps it's to do with when it was released.
Skyrim was fine when it came out, but I really feel like it has aged incredibly poorly. On top of that, it’s dumbed down the series so much that it’s nearly unrecognizable. I absolutely love the initial love for it, but rereleasing it every weekend is only making it look more dated by the day.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Of the last gen only (PS4 gen) I'd have to say Gravity Rush 2. Unbelievably disappointing.

Shocking camera issues, terrible side quests, a world that's way too big for the amount of content in it, crap user generated treasure hunts, content that was no longer accessible in a single player game after the servers shut, awful story, poor combat, terrible "mining" sections, dogshit bosses, and worst of all it doesn't even pick up the story of the first game until AFTER THE CREDITS ROLL and you get to post-game.

Thank you for reaffirming my decision to drop this game a few hours in just a few days ago.

Iamborghini

In what sense? I honestly thought the map was super impressive for a Racing game. Obviously isn't perfect, but is a good road trip simulator. That was honestly one of my only positive takeaways about the game.
It’s feels lifeless, everything is on rails and generic, by the way I’m talking about The Crew the first one.

Watch Dogs Legion is terrible. Its like they made a game and forgot to give it a damn point. The entire time you're playing you feel like they didn't really want to make the damn game.

Assassin's Creed.

jTUT0a3.jpg

Ubisoft used Jade Raymond to distract from the mediocrity of the buggy, boring game. Gamers with bad taste ate it up and it turned into a franchise of consistently buggy shit that exists today.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed Osyssey

I usually enjoy AC open worlds because even if the tasks are always the same, the architecture of the world is magnificent. Odyssey however felt like it came straight out of the random generator.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Assassin's Creed Osyssey

I usually enjoy AC open worlds because even if the tasks are always the same, the architecture of the world is magnificent. Odyssey however felt like it came straight out of the random generator.

What more can you make of Greece. If you want fantasy there's Immortals.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Sadly yes. Considering the powers you have, and the overall style of the game the mission design was beyond dull. You forgot to mention the stealth levels. Just why. You have these gravity powers, why the fuck does the game take them away from you so often. First few hours at the colony were terrible as well. Probably one the most boring prologues I ever played.

Umbasaborne

Banned

i didn’t believe anyone could have an objectively incorrect opinion until now.

my answer would be any games made by avalanche. They usually have fun gameplay like in just cause, mad max, and rage 2, but they make the most bland, empty, generic open worlds that are too huge for their own good and lacking any sort of life, and usually they are dotted with the most bland, repeatable missions imaginable.

Going with memory, probably Driv3r, miles and miles of nothing and was not even remotely funny like driver 1 ( legendary masterpiece and awesome driving and free roam even nowadays) and 2

And for modern day, I go with Odissey, gta V or rdr2 ( only talking about maps, not the quality of the games per se)

There is no need to do a fucking enormous map for the sake of nothing, no one is impressed anymore for that, I repeated this countless times on this very board

QUALITY AND CONTENT, not dimensions are what players want, big as shit maps are not fun since San Andreas in 2004

Last edited:
I played this game as highway builder, and had a great time doing that for about 15 hours, then i dropped it and dont intend to ever play it again
Totally the opposite for me, I was scared this game would reveal the most boring thing ever played, after that soporiferous trailers

Ended up loving it and loving its traversal mechanics

For the record, I'm absolutely not the player who loves roaming to only look around, but this was the exception

OrtizTwelve

My personal opinion has always been that in general "open world games" are usually mediocre, and a marketing buzzword.

The only "open world" games that I enjoy playing have been the Grand Theft Auto series.

AC3 was one of the most joyless slogs of a game I've ever played. Its probably not the worse open world game I've played but it stands out in my mind as particularly terrible.

The Crew is also another bad one. Once you get over the novelty of a mini USA, it becomes clear there is almost nothing fun or interesting to do in the world.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
but but.. it's one of my favs. 4k 60 on pc it is incredible.
I never even race in it. I just use debug mode to teleport around and drive cool cars. The game is very chill and full of great vistas.
Snow, desert, forests, tornados, rain, great canyon.... so good looking.
The worst open world are the busywork kind for me. Some later AC games or Far Cry 3+ games. I also loved Death Stranding

Some of my older Fuel screenshots. That game just need downsampling or 4k. No mods

Xp7X8l2.jpg

yyrXUA9.jpg
2nd pic looks really cool aesthetically

Top Bottom