• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst open world game of all time

crozier

It has to be those free to play MMOs like Tera Online or Blade and Soul.
Tera was actually fun.

I really don’t want to say SWTOR was awful, but those branching conversation chains in dungeons were poorly thought out. Everyone just skipped them as fast as the game would let them.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Tera was actually fun.
Efrskv5U0AAR_em

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think I have to agree. I wanted to love that game so badly. I remember returning from a business trip in Portugal and picking it up in my local game store on PS4. I think I even took a day off to play it.

Such a colossal disappointment.

:messenger_sad_relieved:

Rage 2 engine should make it better, that game plays good gameplay-wise.

Zelent

Hahaha. Breath of the wild? Really? Not even in the same stratosphere as the other two.

You’re opinion is factually wrong. 🤓
It's really not. There are plenty of people that feel the game is overrated.

Open-world just doesn't suit a Zelda game in my opinion.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It's really not. There are plenty of people that feel the game is overrated.

Open-world just doesn't suit a Zelda game in my opinion.
Overrated does not equal “worst of all time”. That plays right into the stereotype that some gamers are constantly accused of: hyperbole. It’s not the BEST so it has to be the WORST.

And Zelda doesn’t fit open world? Sure about that? Here are a list of Zelda games with open world:
Zelda 1
Zelda 2
Wind Waker
Breath of the Wild

All those games are trash-tier, right?

Honestly, you could make an argument that all Zelda games are open world.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Overrated does not equal “worst all time”. That plays right into the stereotype that some gamers are constantly accused of: hyperbole. It’s not the BEST so it has to be the WORST.

And Zelda doesn’t fit open world? Sure about that? Here are a list of Zelda games with open world:
Zelda 1
Zelda 2
Wind Waker
Breath of the Wild

All those games are trash-tier, right?

Honestly, you could make an argument that all Zelda games are open world.
I'd say ALTTP Is open world

kyussman

I've no idea what the actual worst one is as I'll never play it...but the worst one I have played is Sleeping Dogs.
I encountered a bug after several hours where a loud machine gun sound would get stuck repeating,after googling I found out it was a common bug and going back to a previous save didn't fix it.....and this was in the definitive edition,lol....so yea,fuck that game.

Last edited:

Rudius

Fuel.

Basically a massive (like really massive) world with pretty much nothing in it.

3 hours and 10 mins to drive from one side to the other.

The real problem with this game was the driving physics, too unrealistic. Could have been much better.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've played a lot of really shitty obscure open world games thanks to deep Steam sales.

One that comes to mind is Citadel: Forged with Fire (or "By Fire"?). It's a very poorly optimized game running on Unreal E4. It allows you to build your own house which is cool - make it as large and elaborate as you want without a lot of effort - but every single NPC, monster, or beast seems to be using some kind of stock UE asset that was never worked on. So everything just kind of lumbers around with no special scripting, and sometimes doesn't do anything even while you're attacking it.

There's not really any story. Exploiters sometimes roll through and destroy your stuff while calling you the n-word and there's nothing you can do about it. Most of the systems related to community and such are broken. All of the art and animation, even the UI, is straight out of 2010.

And yet last I checked the game was $40 USD (thank god I got it for like $8 or something).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fallout 4, pushed myself for 4 days and still clunky and plays like shit with mediocre quests and missions.
I put 80 hours on it and enjoyed it a lot. The story and RPG mechanics sucked ass,but the world itself was a pretty cool place to explore and get lost into.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I put 80 hours on it and enjoyed it a lot. The story and RPG mechanics sucked ass,but the world itself was a pretty cool place to explore and get lost into.

Yes exploration in that game was pretty good, but it just feels too old overall to me, it's just unacceptable as they have Doom that has a great game engine also Rage 2 gameplay is pretty great aside from its mediocracy.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I really loved Unity, especially the puzzles, mysteries and collecting of crap for that room at the cafe, last AC game I liked. Have you not played AC:Origins and forward? Much worse in this regard imo.

SinDelta

Skyward-Sword-World-Map.png
Skyward Sword.
The game's open world problems are solvable you can make the game less of a chore, you can limit the backtracking, traveling from providence to providence. You might have noticed but there's a lot of backtracking from region to region, a controversial decision in the Zelda community.
I remember the disappointment I felt seeing this full map and realizing it was only three areas. Feels like half of it was stripped out.

Last edited:
Skyward-Sword-World-Map.png
Skyward Sword.
The game's open world problems are solvable you can make the game less of a chore, you can limit the backtracking, traveling from providence to providence. You might have noticed but there's a lot of backtracking from region to region, a controversial decision in the Zelda community.
calling skyward sword open world is stretching the definition a bit much, dont you think?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I played GTA 3 on my PS2. I wanted Vice City but my brother got this for me. The game had no bikes, at that time riding bikes in GTA was an important priority for me so GTA 3 is infact the worst open-world game I have played.

Well.....I've seen Jethalal on GAF. My life is complete. The only GAFer from Gokuldham I presume, or is Aiyyer here too?

Kimahri

Banned
Fuel.

Basically a massive (like really massive) world with pretty much nothing in it.

3 hours and 10 mins to drive from one side to the other.

And that is why it is so great. You can just drive and enjoy the world, come upon some tracks here, challenges there, or create your own. One of, if not the most enjoyable racing game I've played.

iHaunter

I don't know about the worst, but one that was overhyped as BOTW.

It was mostly empty nothing with a seedling puzzle here in there and had like 6 enemy types in the entire game. For such a hyped game that took an enormous amount of time to make, it was the most disappointing. The game overall is okay, I'd still recommend it if anyone has a switch.

stn

From recent games, Mafia: Definitive Edition's open world sticks out. The game is still solid but the world is there only for driving to the next objective. In fact, I think you can even skip the driving all-together.

Tremmy

Neo Member
Two Worlds for me. Story had some potential, delivered on none of it and still managed to be completely mediocre with the open world nonsense and unrewarding.

VulcanRaven

I tried True Crime: Streets of LA few years ago and it wasn't very good. I played the OG Xbox version on Xbox 360 and it ran so badly. The sequel TC: New York City is better but the city felt too big. Full sized Manhattan might sound great but driving to missions takes too long. A game like that might work better today with modern graphics.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Arcania Gothic 4 on the Xbox 360. Looks dreadful, runs dreadful, and plays like a slog. Dropped it after an hour.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Side missions are annoying to find/trigger, most of them add zero to the plot of the game and the rewards are useless.
lol, what? Rewards include a way to fast travel and guns with endless ammunition. They aren't useless, some of them are absolutely essential to enjoy the game properly and I say that as someone who absolutely loves Deadly Premonition.

Stuart360

Its probably already been mentioned but surely Dynasty Warriors 9 has to be up there.
Large empty (almost literally empty) ugly map with huge segments of riding to different points, through awful looking empty environments.

x@3f*oo_e!

Two Worlds seems lie the obvious option.

But when I consider that most AssCreed game have had 10x the developers, 10x the budget (at least), and end up with a map full of spam copy paste "activities" that are an insult to the intelligence of one of pavlov's dogs - I think Ubisoft wins here. To do so little with so much.

Also great ideas, gfx, and monster, but HZD comes close to worse in terms of a totally empty openworld that is little fun to explore or traverse - with next to no reward for exploration, and some of the worse collectables ever devised - collect coffee cups for tedious text exposition

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The crew by ubisoft.

But they know how to make a good open world (like AC: Origins for exemple)
In what sense? I honestly thought the map was super impressive for a Racing game. Obviously isn't perfect, but is a good road trip simulator. That was honestly one of my only positive takeaways about the game.

zcaa0g

Banned
BoTW. Cloroxed colors. Low poly counts. Simplistic combat Limited enemy types. Weapons that break even though the properties of those weapons wouldn't break against the objects they are hitting in any other fantasy world. Uninteresting quests.

Top Bottom