• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Gaming Challenges in otherwise brilliant games?

Mohonky

Ever love a game but fubdamentally loathe some part of it so fucking much you actually just stop playing it?

Im having one of thise moments with Bayonetta.

Going through it again and Ive hit that fucking stupid 'defeat all enemies without touching the ground' portal.

Who thought these were a good idea? They do nothing but increase my blood pressure. They make me want to throw the controller across the room; but if you want to get all the unlockables (here comes pet peeve number 2) you have to go through the challenges to increase the final level score....another one of those stupid things that just make me want to rage tbh. That arbitrary rank at the end of the level that says yeh so you got through the level, but you took a hit so we're gonna have to just knock that score down, guess you wont be unlocking jackshit unless you replay that half hour again with faultless precision.

Something that pop up in WAY to many action games, especially Platinum ones which I otherwise love, but then feel like I never get everything from because the game insists on making you try and beat some benchmark that requires OCD like commitment.

Skelterz

I actually really disliked most wolf segments in twilight princess which I know is controversial however weirdly enough I throughly enjoyed Okami all the way through so who knows maybe wolf link is a mongrel.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I didn't like the Purple Key challenges in Doom Eternal. I get out of a fight with good health and good ammo, now I gotta do a time trial for killing, ultimately losing health and sometimes needing my most powerful weapons' ammo to beat it. I couldn't even find them all so by time I finished the game it felt like it was all for nothing.

Bragr

Banned
I didn't like the Purple Key challenges in Doom Eternal. I get out of a fight with good health and good ammo, now I gotta do a time trial for killing, ultimately losing health and sometimes needing my most powerful weapons' ammo to beat it. I couldn't even find them all so by time I finished the game it felt like it was all for nothing.
Yeah, those were dumb, should have been post-game or game+ content or something.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yeah, those were dumb, should have been post-game or game+ content or something.
I mean I guess I could have gone back to those levels just to search for them, but in the end if I'm getting something in the gallery or some decoration for the Base of Operations in the game...I really don't care. Maybe I would if I was into the original DOOMs, but I couldn't even afford a PC back then. I hate collectibles in games as it is. The story and fighting was good enough for me.

I don't even know if there is NG+ or not in the game. I played through it on Ultra Violence and by time I finished it I was so done with the game I immediately uninstalled it.

I’m one trophy away from the platinum trophy in Resident Evil 8
The stupid mercenaries mode strips you of all of your weapons and gives you a pistol which wouldn’t be so bad except the aiming and shooting is easily the worst part of the game

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ooooo I got a good one. Treasure Hunt challenges that has some hand drawn scribble on a piece of paper telling you to find whatever location. ESO, RDR2 I'm looking at you!

arvfab

Banned
Playing Fallout 3&4. Didn't manage to suffer more than 5-10 hours on each.

EDIT: re-read the thread title. Fallout games are not brilliant. Please ignore the above message.
---------

The additional missions in Vanquish (one in particular...) are the reason I'm missing the platinum in it.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Mostly 2D games these days. The last boss of Cyber Shadow was such an annoying jump in difficulty from the rest of the game. Once you learned the pattern it wasn't too bad but it was still a solid challenge. The same goes for the last bosses of Blasphemous.

One of my biggest pet peeves in gaming though is doing a scripted sequence, dying and then having to do it again. Who wants to do that again after seeing it? Who exactly think that's fun? Ori definitely had some of those moments.

Kupfer

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Chapter 2: Breaking and Entering
and every other sneaky segment in a non-stealth-game

EDIT: misunderstood the topic

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Driving licenses in several Gran Turismo games. You must do bullshit challenges in order to unlock next tier driving license that allows you to progress to harder races.
Hope to fuck they aren’t back in 7 or at least don’t lock down half the events like the original did.

Dodge 100 lightening bolts in FFX....

Shit can make you...

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

TrueLegend

Blocking Platinum with in game grind which could be bypassed with mtx. The taunts in dmcv. I had to farm for an hour with Dr. Faust to get 9000000 orbs to unlock the final upgrade of Nero, Dante and V each tied to a trophy. Shitty stuff. My fingers were hurt and in pain.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Collectibles. I don't want to spent hours to search collectibles just to see the true ending. I loved The Origami King, but fuck you Nintendo.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Slippery floor at the beginning of the Y tower stage in Sor4.
So exaggerated and exasperatingly awful.
Keep those slippy slidey floor tropes back in the 90s where they belong.

There's a level in Nier where you have to go through relatively simple bullet hell rooms, but each room has a restriction on moves that you can't do. I remember one of the room forbidding running. I don't mean spriting, I mean running as in the default movement which occurs where you move the stick in a direction without touching anything else. Nier doesn't have a walk button so what you have to do is slightly move the stick to stay in the walking animation and pray you don't accidentally go into running and die immediately. It doesn't make the room any harder either, just incredibly cumbersome. If they didn't straight up rip this out of the remake, it's a bad remake imho.

Last edited:

TheStam

Playing Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous now. Loved it at first. The true heir to Baldur's Gate. But got to Crusade mode which feels terrible and out of place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Someone said on the purple board one of the D2 achievements is getting a level 99 character on HC mode.

And going from level 98 to 99 takes 1000s of boss runs. No idea if thats true. Just going off what he said.

Banned
Im having one of thise moments with Bayonetta.

Going through it again and Ive hit that fucking stupid 'defeat all enemies without touching the ground' portal.

Who thought these were a good idea? They do nothing but increase my blood pressure. They make me want to throw the controller across the room

look, I don't wanna be that guy, but I just am...
I did that in 2 or 3 tries... it's not hard... and I am far from amazing at Bayonetta

@Topic: The Driver 1 tutorial of course. not because it is especially hard to do as a concept, but because it often doesn't register correctly and some of the challenges have arbitrary weird rules (like where to start and finish the slalom)

i can't count how often I did a perfect 180° spin and the game just didn't recognize it... so it was more the programming was wonky at that part, not that the challenge itself was bad.
they redid that mission in Driver San Francisco and they programmed it way better there, and it is a piece of cake in that game even tho you have to do the exact same things.

You unlock that mission by driving faster than 88 miles per hour in a DeLorean btw. which is a cool idea IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom