• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2021

Ratchet and Clank.
DQN0ULd.gif

They added females. Prominently. Everything wrong in gaming.
6aZjnFj.gif

wiaPyGI.png

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm pretty good about filtering out games. I would say the worst I've tried this year is probably The Ascent. Gave it an honest shot but it just felt soulless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Getting Loop Hero tomorrow on Switch. Can't wait.

Crackdown 3 campaign was awesome. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't know why it gets hate......maybe for the crap multiplayer? But the main game was mindless fun.
Aye MP was shoehorned in as well i think.
Glad TLOU2 didnt do this.

thanks for reminding me loop hero is out on switch too!
Just double dipped. It’s an extra 10% off
This game is 100% worth it!

Stuart360

I think people saying stuff like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank need to look again at th question, 'worst game of 2021'. Even if those games are not your thing, even if you really didnt 'get them', its painfully obvious that they are not terrible games, and a terrible game is what should be classed as 'the worst game of 2021'.
Same with people saying things like Outriders.

For me i would go with - Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood. Main reason being the game could of been such a cool game, with great source materail, but ended up a lifeless, boring, and just shit gameplay.

tommib

I only had one big disappointment this year which will be considered a hot take: Village. Hated the whole thing for reasons I’m tired of typing. I do think it’s a terrible game that will be quickly forgotten but that’s just me.

Quite disappointed with Cruis'n Blast as well. I love arcade racers but for 30 EUR it has 1 hour of content basically. The garish colours and 0 skill gameplay don't help. I doesn’t even feel like you’re driving a car and more like doing quick-time events.

Last edited:

Jadsey

Worst game of the year I played was Maquette....navel gazing nonsense.

Worst moment in a video game was being forced to choose my pronouns in Forza Horizon 5....the game is amazing, but fuck right off with that shit!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I think people saying stuff like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank need to look again at th question, 'worst game of 2021'. Even if those games are not your thing, even if you really didnt 'get them', its painfully obvious that they are not terrible games, and a terrible game is what should be classed as 'the worst game of 2021'.
Same with people saying things like Outriders.

For me i would go with - Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood. Main reason being the game could of been such a cool game, with great source materail, but ended up a lifeless, boring, and just shit gameplay.

then it would go to some asset rehash on steam. Worst game of The year to me is something you might have been into that didn’t pan out. Most people don’t even interact with the really bad games.

Last edited:

tommib

Worst game of the year I played was Maquette....navel gazing nonsense.

Worst moment in a video game was being forced to choose my pronouns in Forza Horizon 5....the game is amazing, but fuck right off with that shit!
Maquette! Totally forgot about that crap. Really poor indeed. Been there environmental puzzles wrapped up in a soggy romance. Nightmare fuel.

Stuart360

then it would go to some asset rehash on steam. Worst game of The year to me is something you might have been into that didn’t pan out. Most people don’t even interact with the really bad games.
Well i think its fair to iignore asset flips and the like on Steam, as they arent really games made to entertain people, they are quick cash grabs with zero quality control.

And all i'm saying in regards to the likes of Returnal, R&C, and Outriders, whether you likd those game or not, its obvious they are not 'The worst game of 2021'. If you get me.

but maybe some people have only played 3 or 4 games this year, and from those 3 or 4 games they are the worst. So yeah carry on i suppose lol.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
I avoided all the turds like Balan, Dark Alliance, Halo Infinite, GTA Trilogy etc.

... but have the Destruction All Stars plat, which was actually enjoyable but my worst game of the year by a landslide.

BbMajor7th

I only had one big disappointment this year which will be considered a hot take: Village. Hated the whole thing for reasons I’m tired of typing. I do think it’s a terrible game that will be quickly forgotten but that’s just me.

Quite disappointed with Cruis'n Blast as well. I love arcade racers but for 30 EUR it has 1 hour of content basically. The garish colours and 0 skill gameplay don't help. I doesn’t even feel like you’re driving a car and more like doing quick-time events.

I actually had a decent time with Village (and really was not expecting to) - but if being disappointed in that is a hot take, then the Returnal takes in here are on fire...

Maquette! Totally forgot about that crap. Really poor indeed. Been there environmental puzzles wrapped up in a soggy romance. Nightmare fuel.

Jesus, yeah, I legitimately rage quite that one. You can judge the design of a puzzle by the first word you utter after solving it, and my first word after solving most of Maquette's was 'seriously?'

Last edited:
Battlefield 2042 for me easily. I played Dark Alliance and whilst it wasn’t good, it certainly wasn’t a huge messy disappointment like BF2042.

LordCBH

Before the GTA Trilogy was shat out into the world I would have said the new Dark Alliance game. But for me the worst title is GTA trilogy. Dark alliance was bad. GTA trilogy are 3 good games absolutely ruined by incompetence.

Not sure it was the ‘worst game’ but the biggest disappointment for me was Kena - I fell for the hype and then crashed hard when I started to play it.

Average in every single way except for the cutscenes. Below average in many ways. The perfect example of the overhype surrounding console exclusives.

cireza

Banned
Scarlet Nexus was pretty disappointing.

I have to be more careful around Japanese adventure games with long stories for teenagers. So many hours lost listening to trash-tier side-stories.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Vanguard is great. Fantastic gunplay.

BF 2042 on the other hand, unplayable for me. Couldnt get controller to work on PC. Getting into games was impossible on day 1 and 2. I dont think i ever logged in again.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not sure it was the ‘worst game’ but the biggest disappointment for me was Kena - I fell for the hype and then crashed hard when I started to play it.

Average in every single way except for the cutscenes. Below average in many ways. The perfect example of the overhype surrounding console exclusives.
Kena always looked like a simple indie game to me. Sorry you got burned.

Caio

Yeah yeah yeah, I see a lot of people talking about opinions...yeah yeah, so everybody is entitled to his opinion, yeah yeah.
Why those people calling out Deathloop and Returnal(88 and 85 on Metacritic), are not calling out the Medium(71 on Metacritic) as the worst Game of 2021 ? We know the answer, and it's pathetic people. Grow up warriors. Do you even know what "worst" mean ??

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I dodged a lot of bullets this year apparently

The worst I've seen? GTA Definitive Edition by a landslide.

The worst I've played? Probably Back4Blood. Wasn't horrible? Nah, not really, but man did it feel very uninspired and passionless. I mean, in various ways, L4D 1/2 just FELT better than anything in this game. That's.... rough.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Aye MP was shoehorned in as well i think.
Glad TLOU2 didnt do this.

thanks for reminding me loop hero is out on switch too!
Just double dipped. It’s an extra 10% off
This game is 100% worth it!
Don't have a PC so I've been waiting for this to come to Switch. Saw videos of the game months ago and really was interested. Can't wait!

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd say the GTA remaster because of the removal of the OG games from digital stores.

It's like a double fuck you. "Oh, those games that were a world-wide cultural phenomenon, yea, they're no longer available...we've replaced them with a steaming pile of garbage..."

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'd say the GTA remaster because of the removal of the OG games from digital stores.

It's like a double fuck you. "Oh, those games that were a world-wide cultural phenomenon, yea, they're no longer available...we've replaced them with a steaming pile of garbage..."
Yeah this is a good pick. Obviously it’s not the absolute worst game anybody released in 2021, but I think it represents the largest gap between (well-grounded) expectations and reality.

They remastered perhaps the most iconic series of the last 20 years and turned it into a meme-worthy pile of garbage AND took away the ability to buy the originals. Hard to imagine a bigger fuck up than that.

Mossybrew

I'd agree with Dark Alliance even though I played a decent amount of it, because it was one of those games that really had potential, but just didn't deliver.

stn

I'd agree with Dark Alliance even though I played a decent amount of it, because it was one of those games that really had potential, but just didn't deliver.
If my expectations are really low and I just want to play as Drizzt and get some gear, will I enjoy it? I'm a big fan of the comics and wanted to at least give it a try. It's only $20.00 right now.

Top Bottom