• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2021

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For me it was

dark-alliance-1200x630.jpg

Buggy mess, not true to the original, completely uninspired combat and loot. I got it as part of Game Pass and I still felt incredibly disappointed.

What's the worst game you played that came out in 2021? Think of it like the opposite of your "Game of the Year".

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Probably Battlefield 2042. It's fundamentally broken and many many levels.

Though tbf, I probably would have felt the same about Dark Alliance had I played it. The first 2 games were so fun on the PS2/Xbox and my buddy played Dark Alliance before I bought it and he told me not to even waste my time.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
In terms of big names, New World.

And I didn't hate it at first. I actually thought there were many positives. But it took a lot longer playtime to finally realize how hollow and dull it was. I was so wrong about my first impressions.

After my 4th attempt to get into an mmorpg again, it's the reason I'm closing the book on the genre for a LONG time.

Notabueno

Banned
Sonic Colors Ultimate
GTA Trilogy Remaster
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Battlefield 2042
New Worlds
Balan Wonderland

I'm hesitating about Halo Infinite which I find mediocre.

Sgt.Asher

Of the games i played, Deathloop. It's not bad, can be quite fun. I don't buy many new games.
Balan wonderworld takes the cake from what I've seen

i want to say BF 2042, cuz i really hated every second of it. But i also loved every second i played of BF Portal. And unfortunately that is included in the package. So what do we do

Dream-Knife

Banned
There's a worse game than Superman 64 released every week. Dozens of them.
Depends on your perspective, but yes. Mobile games skew this obviously.

Don't mistake a project for a game though. Plenty of junior devs making games as a POC vs actual games.

Last edited:
I'll have to go with Outriders. I dunno how much has changed since I reviewed it on steam but I doubt it's any better even with the late game improvements.

Riky

$MSFT
Returnal.

The save system ruined it for me as I haven't got that sort of continuous time to play, they've addressed that to a degree but it still looked pretty poor on my 4k screen and the gameplay was very simplistic. Far too expensive for what it was.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
vanguard zombies mode compared to cold war zombies

I'll have to go with Outriders. I dunno how much has changed since I reviewed it on steam but I doubt it's any better even with the late game improvements.

it's because of people like you we don't get nice things anymore

the campaign felt like a classic video game.. just pure fun from start to finish. only thing that lacked was the endgame.. and they basically fixed that now.
this game felt refreshing

Last edited:
vanguard zombies mode compared to cold war zombies

it's because of people like you we don't get nice things anymore

the campaign felt like a classic video game.. just pure fun from start to finish. only thing that lacked was the endgame.. and they basically fixed that now.
this game felt refreshing

classic video game? you and me played different classic games then, while you were probably playing Ubersoldier I was playing Wolfenstein. Outriders is the Steven Seagal of games.

Chukhopops

jgm0zEh.jpg

My vote:
- Looks like a PS2 game, and I mean it literally;
- Runs like absolute shit even on XSX;
- Full of glitches;
- Basically no gameplay aside from going from A to B to advance the story;
- Story is just a ton of annoying fetch quests with shitty characters;
- Terribly designed map making you lose hours going around;
- Pathetic voice acting except maybe the main character;
- Absolutely zero fun activity whatsoever.

I gave it 10 fucking hours because I like Swery but he can fuck off and die at this point.

Spukc

classic video game? you and me played different classic games then, while you were probably playing Ubersoldier I was playing Wolfenstein. Outriders is the Steven Seagal of games.
outriders felt like an old video game no nonsense and pure fun oh and no MTX shei

Just like people took a shit on crackdown 3
that game was fun. Nothing deep just like your typical summer marvel movie..
i miss games like that.

not sure what age has to do with what a classic video game is
But i grew up with an amstrad

i played loop hero & valheim the most thyear.

and both games are refreshing.
unlike the 80% of the games these days being a sequel or prequel or whatever the fuck stale IP’s they milk.

don’t mind me playing shit that is new.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
jgm0zEh.jpg

My vote:
- Looks like a PS2 game, and I mean it literally;
- Runs like absolute shit even on XSX;
- Full of glitches;
- Basically no gameplay aside from going from A to B to advance the story;
- Story is just a ton of annoying fetch quests with shitty characters;
- Terribly designed map making you lose hours going around;
- Pathetic voice acting except maybe the main character;
- Absolutely zero fun activity whatsoever.

I gave it 10 fucking hours because I like Swery but he can fuck off and die at this point.

Oh damn, I own this but it was so jittery and broken when I booted it up on day one, I was gonna wait for a patch... but it's still that bad huh? I actually kinda completely forget about the game in the meantime :eek:

Haggard

Banned
I got the the second biome and called it quits. Having a family means I can't sit and play a game for hours on end. It's a great game hidden behind a bad design choice.
I´m in the same boat.
The game got an update with a SAVE FUNCTION now btw.
If I hadn´t already sold it now`d be the time to pick it up again.

anthony2690

Banned
Destruction All Stars (I'm probably the only person who thought this might be fun from the trailers)

But it was awful, looks great visually, even if I'm not a fan of the art style.

It took forever to find a match, nearly 20 minutes, I played less than a month after it came out, and I didn't even finish my match and deleted the game.

Just imagine if you paid £70 for this as they intially planned, ooft.

outriders felt like an old video game no nonsense and pure fun oh and no MTX shei

i miss games like that.

not sure what age has to do with what an classic video game is tho.

unlike the 80% of the games these days being a sequel or prequel or whatever the fuck stale IP’s they milk.

I knew before you replied that you'd bring the microtransactions into the talk. Lets get one thing out of the way and if you think otherwise, then we can stop talking right now. A game is not automatically good because it lacks microtransactions nor is a game automatically bad because it has them. Microtransactions are shit but that does not mean the game also is shit for having them or good for not having them.

I played Outriders with 2 other friends and we all had the same impression of it. You have my review there, the shooting and the abilities were fun but the game was fucking boring. The story was absolute shit, as if it was britten by some dude from a college frat. The one thing that it was supposed tob e good at, the looting, sucked ass and I explained why. It was also a technical mess.

Im glad you liked it but dont bring this "because of u we dont get nice things" bullshit. Thats stupid af.

Depends on your perspective, but yes. Mobile games skew this obviously.

Don't mistake a project for a game though. Plenty of junior devs making games as a POC vs actual games.
Not just mobile games anymore. Look at the stuff on PSN and eShop. There is constant complete, shameless shovelware and no one seems to be bothered curating it.

Spukc

I knew before you replied that you'd bring the microtransactions into the talk. Lets get one thing out of the way and if you think otherwise, then we can stop talking right now. A game is not automatically good because it lacks microtransactions nor is a game automatically bad because it has them. Microtransactions are shit but that does not mean the game also is shit for having them or good for not having them.

I played Outriders with 2 other friends and we all had the same impression of it. You have my review there, the shooting and the abilities were fun but the game was fucking boring. The story was absolute shit, as if it was britten by some dude from a college frat. The one thing that it was supposed tob e good at, the looting, sucked ass and I explained why. It was also a technical mess.

Im glad you liked it but dont bring this "because of u we dont get nice things" bullshit. Thats stupid af.
Nah it really is.
publishers don’t invest in risky and new ideas.

all we end up getting is low risk rehashed shit.
Shame you didn’t enjoy outriders. I have tons of friends who loved it for a good 60 hours.
and stopped playing. Just like me.
Maybe loot and tweaking builds isn’t your thing?

Sadly most games need to be GAAS god forbid i stop playing a game after 20 hours. And move on to the next.

it’s all about keeping gamers engaged on your product as long as humanly possible and milking the fuck out of them. (Battlepass) (seasons) etc.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

i miss games like that.

not sure what age has to do with what a classic video game is

Getting Loop Hero tomorrow on Switch. Can't wait.

Crackdown 3 campaign was awesome. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't know why it gets hate......maybe for the crap multiplayer? But the main game was mindless fun.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Returnal, for forcing people who don't have time to play the game to play the game. Also making them to buy the game and boot the game.

Games should come out bundled with spare time and end credits right at the beginning of the first mission.

Last edited:

Billbofet

played a mission of Serious Sam 4 yesterday on the XsX. That could be it.
This. I have played many SS games and this one just feels wrong. Luckily I played it over icloud, but I wish I had installed it so I could have the satisfaction of deleting it. Terrible.

Top Bottom